Video Game: Soukyugurentai
Soukyugurentai (a.k.a. Terra Diver) is a Vertical Scrolling Shooter published by 8ing/Raizing in 1996 for the Sega Saturn ST-V hardware, later ported to the Sega Saturn proper and the Playstation. Its gameplay is distinguished by having lock-on weapons similar to the RAY Series, except able to lock on to 3-D wireframe areas. Its music was composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Manabu Namiki.In the year 2050, space mining operations are becoming competitive as the Eight Luck Interstellar Development Inc. starts muscling in on other companies in an aggressive manner. The Jin-Sei Corporation teams up with Japan to counteract Eight Luck. It is now up to a few pilots and their advanced space ships to save the day.
Soukyugurentai contains examples of the following:
- Animal Wrongs Group: The violence in the game is blamed on these kinds of groups to hide the truth.
- Asteroids Monster: One stage involves flying through the asteroid belt, complete with asteroids that get blown up into smaller but still-quite-deadly pieces.
- Battleship Raid: The final stage, the High Altitude Relay and Attack plane 'Bakuzan'
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Eight Luck Interstellar Development Inc. builds a whole military force and attacks other companies in order to achieve a monopoly.
- Dynamic Difficulty: It is based on the number of power-up items collected and the percentage of enemies destroyed.
- Evil Counterpart: The final boss has a lock-on weapon just like the player.
- Fighter Launching Sequence: The launch sequence before the first level takes 9.92 seconds to complete. The next two levels after that has the player ship launching from an Airborne Aircraft Carrier.
- Homing Projectile: All of the homing weapons of the playable characters, and many missiles used by the enemies.
- Humongous Mecha: The boss of stage 4, the General Purpose Strategy Aggressive space craft 'Akitaka'
- Kill Sat: The boss of stage 2, the Anti-Space Anti-Ground satellite Shin-Sen
- Mega Corp.: At a minimum, the Jin-Sei Corporation and Eight Luck Interstellar Development are this.
- Required Secondary Powers: Each of the pilots has undergone strengthening procedures so that they can survive high-speed dogfighting in deep space.
- Roboteching: The playable characters fire a lot of bending beams.
- Tank Goodness: There are many enemy tanks, but one that stands out as the boss of stage 3 is the Grapple Strategy Attack tank 'Don-Ryu'
Percent Trope Force Remaining: 03%