Some people want to live not at volcano's feet, but in
a volcano. Whether it's active or extinct. After all, a crater inside some big mountain is a relatively defensible location, there's plenty of free geothermal power, it looks impressive, and Everything's Cooler With Lava
. Usually Supervillain Lair
, but not always. Naturally predisposed
to become a Collapsing Lair
Most feature labyrinthine cave complex
, Lava Pits
and use of free heat. Often done in a rather careless manner
. May or may not be located on an island
. In a video game, becomes Lethal Lava Land
Anime and Manga
Films — Animation
- Great Mazinger: Marquis Janus, one of the villains of the Mazinger Z sequel had an Island Base with an artificial volcano built on the center. Its eruptions could be set off and stopped at will. Often it was used to blast Great Mazinger with a rain of hot-molten rocks, debris and volcanic cinders in order to slow down its advance or hinder The Hero Tetsuya as he battled.
- Kotetsu Jeeg: Queen Himika's Home Base was inside a volcano.
- Starscream's temporary base in Transformers Cybertron is located on a volcanic island in the Pacific. Since he and his minions are giant alien robots, the heat is not an issue. Hell, Thunderblast enjoys bathing in the lava.
- The Incredibles — Syndrome's base at Nomanisan Island. Mr. Incredible directly asks Syndrome's Sexy Secretary why he'd build his home at a volcano, and she respond it's because he's attracted to power, as well as the rich soil that lets them grow delicious food on the island.
- The villain Moltor of Power Rangers Operation Overdrive bases his operations inside one of these, in sharp contrast to his brother Flurious, who resides inside of an icy cave lair.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Dragonlance — The biggest Minoi settlement around is Mount Nevermind. A combination of their smokepowder storage facility and one angry red dragon led to reactivation of the volcano and subsequent discovery of useable geothermal energy.
- Forgotten Realms — Firenewts live in volcanic mountains. Because they need lava pit-grade heat.
- Red dragons, being immune to fire, prefer hot lairs including volcanoes.
- In the My Little Pony TV show and movie, witches lived in the Volcano of Gloom.
- The titular Superjail! is inside a volcano that's inside another volcano.