There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
is the story of Jacob Doe, one of the titular Genocide Men, a man tasked with hunting out and destroying dangerous "ideas" in the aftermath of the Open Source Movement, when military secrets became public knowledge, a time period where every possible piece of scientific knowledge was available to everyone, which, among other things, resulted in a Zombie Apocalypse
in China, the extinction of the Jewish people, and the deaths of two thirds of the world's total population. Ideas can be very dangerous in a future where the technology exists to make even the most terrible ideas a reality. Jacob Doe is 98 years old, and has seen, and done, many terrible things... and his life is about to become much more complicated.
Brought to us by the author who brought us Indefensible Positions
- Arc Words: First delivered by an insane AI, They say that there's a secret gene, that Adam had, and it made him clean.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: A terrifying subversion, as every AI is guaranteed to go insane after it has been active long enough.
- Animal Theme Naming: The five Genocide Men: Jacob Doe, Lola Lamb, Kevin Kidd, Peter Pup, and Joey. Presumably Kevin was going for irony.
- Bio-Augmentation: Genocide Men have artificial glands that produce stimulants and antitoxins during combat.
- Biological Weapons Solve Everything: The comic takes place after several extremist groups used open-source biotechnology to kill billions. The titular Genocide Project is an international law enforcement agency that uses targeted plagues to wipe out "genetic deviants" and their creators.
- Bio Punk
- Character Alignment: An alignment chart was posted at the end of chapter 9, using "pacifist-conflicted-murderous" as the moral axis.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Girii, maybe. According to the character sheet (as written by the Genocide Project) "She has also demonstrated impressive strength, but a lack of genetic markers indicate her musculature may be from a childhood filled with rigorous labor." However after she rips open a quarantine wall bare-handed Jacob suggests that Fumiaki developed entirely new musculature genes that they can't detect.
- Cyberspace: The "Undernet"
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Girii's skin tone is hard to discern due to the greyscale, but she is an Inuit with blonde hair.
Girii: Ancient tribal secret - it's called Peroxide.
- Death Seeker: Jacob Doe.
- Depopulation Bomb: In 2109 the world population is down to 3 billion.
- Designer Babies: Genetic deviancies, the Ugandans were born to mothers who were infected with a virus by "witch doctors".
- Driven to Suicide: Peter Pup, one of the genocide men, eventually went insane from all of the horrors he was forced to inflict, and killed himself by diving into a wet cement foundation with his virus case. Sadly, the case opened, and a nasty bubble of virus released into the air, killing a lot of people.
- The Empath: Giri and about half her village have this ability.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Joey voted against the Guyaquil plague, because it would "take the teeth out of the human race".
- Flat "What.": Freighter captain tells Jacob he has mail.
- Follow the Chaos: A genocide man goes shopping...
- Human Weapon: The eponymous characters were designed to take on small armies. Often of other human weapons.
- Intrepid Reporter: Roger Evers is a rather determined blogger.
- Kill 'em All: The government's number one law enforcement tool is now complete annihilation. In a future where you can make anything you please, even a targeted virus that can kill an entire gene line in a matter of days, the only way to prevent abuses of science is to kill anyone with an "idea" that is deemed too dangerous.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Jacob mentions that if he's captured he will be mindwiped, and that it may have happened to him before, Peter was at least three times. And it's later discovered that at times the Genocide Men use a drug patch called the Lethe Protocol when discussing things that absolutely have to be secret, it prevents them from remembering what they did while on the drug. But Joey's augment tweaks rendered him immune.
- Longevity Treatment: Jacob is ninety-eight but thanks to his G-man mods and telomerase treatments he is still one of the deadliest men in the world.
- Magnetic Weapon: Jacob's sidearm is a handheld railgun loaded with sarin-tipped darts.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Genocide Men are stylized as having dead white eyes. Also counts as a Red Right Hand.
- Oh Crap: Tatsu Fumiaki, the scientist who raised Dahnai, begins calculating the maximum lifespan of Dahnai, who is a lifeform that has no mitochondria in her cells. When he realized that Dahnai is technically immortal because of her unique biology, he had a colossal Oh Crap because he had just been told that the world would only tolerate her existence because her expected life span was only going to be five more years.
- Rapid Aging: Dahnai reached adulthood in just two years, causing the Genocide Project to guess that she'd die of old age in another five so they let her live. But it seems that the AI who created her designed her to become The Ageless
- Rasputinian Death : Joey, pumped full of Sarin, electrocuted repeatedly, drowned, and finally eaten by crocodiles.
- The Reveal: It's been revealed that the Genocide Project is actually tampering with the human genome on a global scale, which is supposed to be one of the things that they were put into place to stop.
- Shout-Out: While steeling himself up to go into the Undernet and hack some drones Roger references Spider Jerusalem and Cory Doctorow as bloggers who got theough worse.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Joey, though technically he was a mercenary. While Jacob, whom Lola considered the Genocide Project's moral center (not that that was saying much), was a UN Peacekeeper.
- Super Speed: Genocide Man artificial adrenal glands can pump something like rocket fuel which allow temporary bursts of speed. The Ugandan deviancies were capable of the same due to their enhanced nervous systems.
- Super Soldier: Genocide Men are augmented with nanotube-infused bones and synthetic glands that produce combat stimulants and antidotes to most toxins. Some deviancies like the Ugandans are designed for this purpose as well.
- Swallowed Whole: By something that at least looks like a whale.
Giriii: My dad took me whale hunting once. Never thought I'd be swallowed by one.
Jacob: This isn't a whale. Whales don't have card tables, chemical toilets, or crates of MREs.
Girii: It smells like a whale.
- Synthetic Plague: Primary weapon of the Genocide Men and many of the groups they were established to stop.
- Uplifted Animal: Subverted by Dahnai, she looks canine but is actually a completely synthetic organism. Played straight by the "Slo-cows", crosses between giant ground sloths and cattle that Fumiaki chimera'd with human brain tissue.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Ironically, this viewpoint is used by both the Genocide Project, and those that they fight against. In a world where the technology exists to make any idea a reality (and how many people have thought that the world would be perfect if this or that group of people were not in it?), a lot of people have tried to make the world a better place by wiping out anyone that they believed hindered a perfect society. This kind of viewpoint has killed billions in this story. Meanwhile, for the Genocide Men, they justify the many acts they do as being for the greater good. While it may be true that they have more scientific research, more funding, and a wider worldview than most other organizations, the truth is, they have killed just as many, or more, than the ones they have fought against.
- Would Be Rude to Say "Genocide": Very much averted. It's actually a shorthand for GENOme pestiCIDE.
- You Cannot Kill an Idea: The Genocide Project thinks they can.