Anything distinctive about him? Andrea:
Yes, but how can I tell you? He's not like other men. [motions toward her chest]
He has three... Bond:
Fascinating anatomical titbit, but probably the most useless piece of information I've ever heard.
Technically known as a supernumerary nipple or polythelia
, a character with a triple nipple has just that: three nipples as opposed to the customary two.
Though it's used to mark a character as weird or unusual (and indeed, in folklore, an extra nipple is thought to be a teat that the devil sucks on, and was thus thought to be a sign of witchcraft), it's not particularly rare in real life. About one out of 18 men and one out of 50 women has one, though most of them only reach the stage of development where they're almost indistinguishable from moles.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, France may count as such ever since the strip "Let's Assist the French Economy!", wherein he claimed Italy's right nipple, which apparently represents Corsica. At the very least, Italy is down to one....
Films — Live-Action
- Kids: "Damn, girl, that's my triple nipple."
- Scaramanga in both the novel and film of The Man with the Golden Gun. When James Bond tries to impersonate Scaramanga using a fake nipple, he puts it in an anatomically impossible location.
- In Mallrats, the topless psychic credits her powers to her third nipple, eventually revealed to be fakenote .
- In Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood, one vampire prostitute has three nipples - all pierced and chained together. Caleb muses, "I always wanted a girl with a little extra."
- In Napoleon Dynamite, Pedro discusses a cow with an extra nipple on its udder for part of a food inspection test. Apparently a good cow should only have four.
- Total Recall (1990) and Total Recall (2012) had a prostitute with three nipples.
- In Good Omens, the Witchfinder Sergeant is obsessed with finding people with extra nipples.
- Chandler Bing of Friends is revealed to have a third nipple during a Truth-Telling Session (he told Joey it was a "nubbin"). He later has it surgically removed...and when he suffers from Sarcasm Failure afterwards, he thinks it was the source of his powers.
Ross: Joey, what did you think a "nubbin" was?
Joey: I dunno, you see something, you hear a word, I thought that was it.
- Nip/Tuck has an episode in the second season dedicated to Christian Troy removing the third nipple of a patient he's invited to the clinic.
- Lt. Hawkes of Space: Above and Beyond is an InVitro, meaning he spent his embryonic period in a tank. The mark where the feeding tube was connected at his neck resembles a nipple, though he insists it's a "belly button".
- "Weird Al" Yankovic's song "CNR" claims that Charles Nelson Reilly had a third nipple on the back of his neck.
- During her American Idol audition, Carrie Underwood mentioned that she had one that looked like a mole.
- British recording star Lily Allen has one, which she showed off in an episode of The Friday Night Project.
- The song, "I No Longer Have a Nipple on My Forehead".
- Implied with Guybrush Threepwood in Tales of Monkey Island when he grumbles he needs a bounty hunter on him like he needs a fourth nipple.
- Jon from Delocated, during one of his statements in-between songs on the [adult swim]-themed station in Saints Row: The Third, claims to have located a third nipple behind his knee.
- Carrie Underwood.
- Mark Wahlberg considers his third nipple to be his "prized possession".
- Anne Boleyn was famous for this, though it seems to be apocryphal.
- Lily Allen, and she has no problem showing it off.
- Harry Styles apparently has four.
- Many mammals have several pairs of nipples. Humans (and most mammals) have something called mammary ridges, two non-visible lines of slightly thickened skin going down the chest on which nipples form. Obviously, two is the normal number for humans, but other much smaller supernumerary nipples can form along those lines.