The eternal battle continues.
Perhaps the most obvious subtrope of Cool Versus Awesome
(because as that trope says, pirates are cool, and so are ninjas, so pirates fighting
ninjas must be awesome!
). Compare also Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot
' most hated enemies usually seem to be ninjas
, and vice-versa, even though in real life Caribbean pirates and Japanese ninjas didn't even live in the same time period
, much less the same hemisphere. Apparently its just for the Rule of Cool
An Ascended Meme
which started out on Real Ultimate Power
as a parody movie script and soon took on a life of its own, now appearing in vastly varying media.
Anime and Manga
- In the Samurai Champloo episode "Bogus Booty", Mugen (who isn't a stereotypical pirate but has done some 'pirating') squares off against some ninjas.
- Back Through Time by Alestorm has pirates going back in time to fight vikings. They also mention having fought ninja in passing.
- As mentioned above, in Ninja Burger one of the obstacles is rival food delivery company Pirate Pizza.
- Pirates and Ninjas are two of the factions in Smash-Up, a card game where the players combine two decks representing a faction like "Aliens" or "Dinosaurs" and fight it out against another player's combination. So you could have Pirates and Tricksters vs. Ninjas and Aliens, or Pirates and Ninjas vs. Dinosaurs and Robots.
- The King of Fighters XI has B. Jenet, a Pirate girl vs. Mai Shuranui, a Ninja girl, which is quite possibly the hottest Cat Fight in gaming.
- AdventureQuest Worlds has an ongoing conflict between Pirates and Ninjas... among other things.
- Saints Row 2 has the "Fuzz" Activity, a side quest where you're a Cop on a reality TV show, and you have to stop randomly generated crimes. One of them is to "Break up the Fight of the Century," which when you arrive at the checkpoint turns out to be a gang of pirates fighting a gang of ninjas.
"Attention all cars, this is dispatch, we have Pirates vs Ninjas, repeat, Pirates vs Ninjas."
- On one quest in World of Warcraft ("Our Mortal Enemies") where you've infiltrated a pirate band, the pirates send you on a mission to attack their mortal enemies... ninjas!
- A Google search reveals multiple Flash games on the theme.
- There is a game for Nintendo Wii called "Pirates Vs Ninjas Dodgeball".
- Atari's 1989 game Skull & Crossbones is the Ur Example; it allowed the players to play as pirates fighting against ninjas.
- This trope is a major plot point of How To Kill A Mockingbird, where Boo Radley's pirate crew has to battle armies of ninjas in order to uncover the secret to killing the mockingbird.
- This Order of the Stick comic references the Pirates Vs. Ninjas debate.
Haley: Ah, Ninja vs. Pirate, the age-old debate.
Belkar: And by "age-old" she means "showed up on the internet like two years ago, at most."
- Questionable Content has Pintsize (the AnthroPC—a PC/robot) steal Faye's panties and pretend he's an Underwear Ninja. Faye responds by sticking a bra 'round her head like a pirate eyepatch, thus becoming, in Pintsize's words, "A Bra Pirate! The nemesis of all Underwear Ninja." Marten's response? To paraphrase, "WTF?"
- In The Adventures Of Doctor Mcninja:
- According to the doctor, pirates and ninjas originally became rivals because the ninjas thought it would be funny.
- And the McNinja clan got started when a pirate band attacked Ireland in winter and the villagers counterattacked using frozen four-leaf clovers as shurikens.
- The "Ninjas vs. Pirates" wallpaper from the Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures download page is a uniquely Amberish take on the subject. There's actually a funny story behind it...
- Saudia Arabia and Somalia's fight in Scandinavia and the World, considering that Somalia is a pirate, and Saudi Arabia is a 'ninja'note
- Subverted in 70-Seas, the ragtag crew of Privateers includes a ninja, ten-year old Nikol Mimagi. Who has some disagreements with the others, particularly concerning Honor Before Reason (or just a child rebelling against adoptive parent, considering her age and how Serra tends to treat her), but she doesn't particularly have anything against pirates.
- One episode of the animated TV series Ninjago has the ninjas fight undead pirates.