Pirates are cool, and so are ninjas, so pirates fighting ninjas must be awesome!. Pirates' most hated enemies usually seem to be ninjas, and vice-versa, even though in real life Caribbean pirates and Japanese ninjas didn't even live in the same time period, much less the same hemisphere. Apparently its just for the Rule of Cool. (For added irony, some bands of ninja even operated as pirates on the side in Real Life. Go figure.) Compare also Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot and Elves Versus Dwarves (though the Pirates are more likely to be the Dwarves). A Sub-Trope of Cool Versus Awesome. May be involved in a Cavemen Versus Astronauts Debate.
- This ad for Juicy Drop Pop had a pirate vs ninja fight it out using said product.
- In the Samurai Champloo episode "Bogus Booty", Mugen (who isn't a stereotypical pirate but has done some 'pirating') squares off against some ninjas.
- Duel Decks: Pirates vs. Ninjas was announced on April Fools' Day 2008 as part of WotC's tradition of running prank articles on the official Magic: The Gathering website.
- In this short 2011 film entitled simply, Pirates vs. Ninjas, a lone pirate and ninja battle over a chest of gold.
- Treachery and a Dead Man's Promise features pirates vs. time traveling ninjas.
- This animated short called Ninja vs. Pirate features a ninja vs. a pirate IN SPACE! (It crosses into Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot territory as well, as the pirate is a cyborg and his henchmen are robots.)
- The Gamers: Dorkness Rising had a short sequence in which Pirates battled pizza-delivering Ninjas... in the Wizards of the Coast offices. This game actually exists.
- An episode of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger has all three core members of Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger turn up, demanding their powers back. The episode is actually called Pirates vs Ninjas.
- Deadliest Warrior averted and defied this trope. While the aim was to solve rivalries like this, they didn't do this one, though both pirate and ninja were featured (Ninja vs Spartan and Pirate vs Knight: the Ninja lost, as it turns out the Spartan shield is truly something to behold—with the spear being none too shabby either—while the Pirate beat the Knight, as firearms gave a decisive advantage).
- Back Through Time by Alestorm has pirates going back in time to fight vikings. They also mention having fought ninja in passing.
- Defied by Pirates And Ninjas Are Totally Awesome, the first tag team title holders of New Zealand's Impact Pro Wrestling.
- Leva Bates showed up for her SHINE match against one half of the Canadian Ninjas, Portia Perez, dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow.
- As mentioned above, in Ninja Burger one of the obstacles is rival food delivery company Pirate Pizza.
- Pirates and Ninjas are two of the factions in Smash-Up, a card game where the players combine two decks representing a faction like "Aliens" or "Dinosaurs" and fight it out against another player's combination. So you could have Pirates and Tricksters vs. Ninjas and Aliens, or Pirates and Ninjas vs. Dinosaurs and Robots.
- The King of Fighters XI has B. Jenet, a Pirate girl vs. Mai Shuranui, a Ninja girl, which is quite possibly the hottest Cat Fight in gaming.
- AdventureQuest Worlds has an ongoing conflict between Pirates and Ninjas... among other things.
- Saints Row 2 has the "Fuzz" Activity, a side quest where you're a Cop on a reality TV show, and you have to stop randomly generated crimes. One of them is to "Break up the Fight of the Century," which when you arrive at the checkpoint turns out to be a gang of pirates fighting a gang of ninjas.
"Attention all cars, this is dispatch, we have Pirates vs Ninjas, repeat, Pirates vs Ninjas."
- On one quest in World of Warcraft ("Our Mortal Enemies") where you've infiltrated a pirate band, the pirates send you on a mission to attack their mortal enemies... ninjas!
- A Google search reveals multiple Flash games on the theme.
- There is a game for Nintendo Wii called "Pirates Vs Ninjas Dodgeball".
- The first Tenchu game has a mission where your ninjas are to destroy a band of bloodthirsty pirates who sailed in from Europe.
- Atari's 1989 game Skull & Crossbones is the Ur-Example; it allowed the players to play as pirates fighting against ninjas.
- League of Legends usually uses this trope to hype on the announcements of certain Champions. So far they have 2 pirates, Gangplank and Miss Fortune (the latter is more like Pirate Hunter rather than true pirate, however) and 4 ninjas, Shen, Kennen, Akali and Zed (the last one is evil). While they do not interact much in the lore, there was once an event about the Noxus attacking Ionia, where the ninjas were stationed. Both Gangplank and Miss Fortune were included in the Noxus pool of champions, whereas the ninjas minus Zed (who wasn't announced yet when the event took place) were included in the Ionia pool of champions. The result: Ionia wins, thus the Ninjas win.
- Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior allows you to play as ninjas and pirates (out of 6 classes), so you could easily settle this debate with your friends.
- In the Scribblenauts games, spawning a pirate and a ninja close to each other will cause them to fight. In Scribblenauts Unlimited, this is required to get one of the starite shards.
- A Neopets Games Master Challenge used this exact theme. The Ninjas came out on top in the end.
- Splatoon had the Halloween 2015 American Splatfest themed after this. The event's introduction called out the sheer silliness of this "rivalry".
Callie: It's time to settle a rivalry as old as time itself!
Marie: Yeah! Wait... What?
- This trope is a major plot point of How to Kill a Mockingbird, where Boo Radley's pirate crew has to battle armies of ninjas in order to uncover the secret to killing the mockingbird.
- This Order of the Stick comic references the Pirates Vs. Ninjas debate.
Haley: Ah, Ninja vs. Pirate, the age-old debate.Belkar: And by "age-old" she means "showed up on the internet like two years ago, at most."
- Questionable Content has Pintsize (the AnthroPC—a PC/robot) steal Faye's panties and pretend he's an Underwear Ninja. Faye responds by sticking a bra 'round her head like a pirate eyepatch, thus becoming, in Pintsize's words, "A Bra Pirate! The nemesis of all Underwear Ninja." Marten's response? To paraphrase, "WTF?"
- In The Adventures Of Dr Mcninja:
- According to the doctor, pirates and ninjas originally became rivals because the ninjas thought it would be funny.
- And the McNinja clan got started when a pirate band attacked Ireland in winter and the villagers counterattacked using frozen four-leaf clovers as shurikens.
- The "Ninjas vs. Pirates" wallpaper from the Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures download page is a uniquely Amberish take on the subject. There's actually a funny story behind it...
- Saudia Arabia and Somalia's fight in Scandinavia and the World, considering that Somalia is a pirate, and Saudi Arabia is a 'ninja'note
- Subverted in 70-Seas, the ragtag crew of Privateers includes a ninja, ten-year old Nikol Mimagi. Who has some disagreements with the others, particularly concerning Honor Before Reason (or just a child rebelling against adoptive parent, considering her age and how Serra tends to treat her), but she doesn't particularly have anything against pirates.
- This trope started out on Real Ultimate Power as a parody movie script and soon took on a life of its own, now appearing in vastly varying media.
- The Other Wiki has a page about the phenomenon, discussing the debate over "who would win."
- Know Your Meme also has a page about it, describing its origins.
- Real Ultimate Power is the Trope Maker; the trope started out here as a gag movie script.
- Pirates versus Ninja by MonkeySeed on Deviant ART has chibi pirates and ninjas fighting it out.
- The Darkness of Stupid Mario Brothers invokes this trope on purpose by recruiting Pirates against Ganondorf's Ninjas.
- Several episodes of the web series Ask a Ninja reference the pirate/ninja feud.
- The epic AlternateHistory.com timeline Look to the West, having established much earlier that Russian adventurism in Japan has led to Nindzhyas in the Tsar's service, naturally has them fight in the Crimea. And since the Turks have conscripted Barbary pirates from the recently reconquered Algiers...
- In a Fourth-Wall Mail Slot segment of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries "Q&A" (#6 with Fitz), the final question was "pirates, or ninjas?" Lizzie and Fitz end up having a friendly argument about who would win in a fight. See it here.
- One episode of the animated TV series Ninjago has the ninjas fight undead pirates.
- The direct action conservationist group Sea Sepherd has been called pirates by whalers, and they actually fly a flag with crossed trident and crook under a skull. On the other hand, Sea Sepherd has described some Japanese security guards being "dressed like ninjas" .