Player Versus Environment
Often abbreviated as PvE, Player Versus Environment
gameplay involves the player fighting computer-controlled enemies rather than other players (Player Versus Player
). While this technically applies to every single-player or cooperative
game, the term is best known in the world of MMORPGs, where it denotes anything that isn't directly connected to Player Versus Player
Depending on the game, these two types of gameplay can be strictly separate or can overlap.
- World of Warcraft has the open world where the two things can overlap depending on the server rules, while the instance areas are either purely PvE (dungeons, raids) or purely Player Versus Player (battlegrounds and arena).
- Guild Wars has the two completely separated and its community is known for massive Flame Wars between fans of each, with PvE players calling PvP players "elitist" and PvP players claiming that PvE is too easy.
- Exacerbated by the third-party commercialization of Endgame PVE. Corporate sponsorship of World Firsts is bound to make people a bit touchy.
- EVE Online About 90% of the things going on in Hi-sec. Also is used as an adjective for ship fits. Generally, its a bad idea to take a PVE fit to PVP. Because Eve is a Pv P Wide Open Sandbox, PvE in Eve is ironically said to mean "Player vs. Everyone".
- Phantasy Star Online mainly focuses on going on PvE quests with other players, including offline in the GCN and Xbox versions. Its Battle Mode is somewhat limited in comparison.
- It's entirely possible to play through Star Wars: The Old Republic doing nothing but PVE alone and in groups.
- The primary (i.e., nearly exclusive) focus of The Lord of the Rings Online. Players can "spar" with each other if they both want to, but there's no way for one player to unilaterally attack another.
- Champions Online has PVP options but the main gameworld is PVE.
- The majority of Final Fantasy XIV are players fighting monsters in the open world or in dungeons. PVP takes place in designated areas made for it.
- In a Real Life sports example, the game of golf counts as this in any competitive sense compared to the vast majority of popular sports.
- ARK: Survival Evolved has both a PVP mode and a PVE mode. The main difference is that in PVE, players are unable to attack other players or anything owned by them, like tamed dinosaurs.
- Elsword splits Pv P and PvE into two completely separate gameplay modes—PvE is run-of-the-mill dungeon-hopping, playing through extensive platforming levels to reach the end and fight a boss, while Pv P is random matchmaking.
- The Deepest Dark level in Evolve modifies the usual player-controlled Gorgon into a boss that the players must pursue deeper into its lair while primarily facing off against corrupted wildlife and Gorgon hatchlings.