is a 2012 sequel to Gearbox Software
Five years after the original Vault was opened and found to contain nothing but a hideous abomination of tentacles and disappointment
, the Hyperion corporation has taken over Pandora and begun extensive mining operations for "Eridium", a precious mineral that has begun to appear across the planet. Led by the President of Hyperion, Handsome Jack (who stole the credit for opening the Vault and defeating the Destroyer), their robotic armies have crushed all resistance to Jack's goal of "bringing order" to the savage wastelands.
Meanwhile, there are whispers that a second Vault has been found deep within Pandora, attracting the attention of a new team of Vault Hunters:
- Maya (The Siren): An Action Girl with magic-like abilities, one of only six in the entire universe. Her ability "Phaselock" lets her trap enemies in a singularity.
- Zer0 (The Assassin): An enigmatic ninja assassin. His ability "Decepti0n" lets him turn invisible and strike for bonus damage while enemies are distracted by a holographic image of him he leaves behind.
- Axton (The Commando): A soldier turned free-wheeling mercenary. His "Sabre Turret" ability lets him deploy a turret gun.
- Salvador (The Gunzerker): An ex-wrestler and Pandora native. His "Gunzerking" ability lets him dual-wield any two weapons for a limited time.
- Gaige (The Mechromancer): A mad scientist cyborg teen. Her "Summon Deathtrap" ability lets her deploy and command a custom-built hovering robot called a "Deathtrap". She is a paid DLC character, but is given free to anyone who pre-ordered the game.
- Krieg (The Psycho): The newest addition to the Vault Hunters, supposedly an escaped "experiment" from a lab beneath Pandora. His "Buzz Axe Rampage" ability lets him whip out every psycho's favorite weapon and go to town, getting health back for each kill. Like Gaige he's paid DLC, and his official reveal trailer can be viewed here.
Four main story-based DLC packs were announced shortly before release, and a tie-in comic book covering the backstory of the first four vault hunters
has been released (the first issue is available for free here
). Randy Pitchford has also gone on record saying that more playable characters are on the way.
All the DLC is supposed to run up to June 2013, and consists of the following:
- Season Pass: A discount bundle of all four story related DLC packs and The Ultimate Vault Hunter's Pack, which was made available on release day.
- Mechromancer Pack: Originally released as the "Premiere Club" Pre-Order Bonus, it was made available for post-release purchase on October 9, 2012. Contains the Gearbox Gunpack, Vault Hunter's Relic, a Golden Key, and the Mechromancer Vault Hunter.
- Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty: Released on October 16, 2012. Tells a One Piece-esque story of a treasure hidden in the desert surrounding the fallen vacation town of Oasis, and the pirate queen who would stop at nothing to find it. Part of the Season Pass.
- Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage: Released on November 20, 2012. An arena/horde-mode DLC (similar to Mad Moxxi's Underdome from the original game) but with a more substantial plotline and non-arena missions to keep things interesting. The plot centers upon a bombastic tournament held by Torgue CEO "Mr. Torgue" in the Badass Crater of Badassitude, with the top prize being dibs on a brand new Vault. Part of the Season Pass.
- Collector's Edition Pack: Released on December 11, 2012. Originally included in both Collector's Edition releases. Contains the Special Edition Heads and Skins for the original four Vault Hunters and the Contraband Sky Rocket Grenade Mod.
- Creature Slaughter Dome: Released on December 11, 2012. Originally released as a Pre-Order Bonus. Unlocks the "Natural Selection Annex" sector within Hyperion's Wildlife Exploitation Preserve.
- Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt: Released on January 15th, 2013. Taking place after the defeat of Handsome Jack, the Vault Hunters travel to the continent Aegrus to find the most exotic creatures Pandora has to offer, and give them the old one-two. They will also have to deal with a fanatical cult of Jack worshipers. Part of the Season Pass.
- Madness, Supremacy, and Domination Theme Sets: Released January 22, 2013. Three new Head and Skin sets. Each Head-Skin set is sold separately per character, totaling 15 individual sets.
- Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack: Released on April the 2nd, 2013. Increases the level cap by 11 levels from 50 to 61, adds the "Pearlescent" weapon tier and gives players access to "Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode" (a second New Game Plus accessible after completing True Vault Hunter Mode). Despite not being one of the four campaign DLCs, it was added to the Season Pass.
- Poker Night 2: Released on April 2013. A standalone poker game on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Play Station Network and Steam involving Claptrap (among other characters) that comes packaged with four Heads and a Skin. The Heads and the Skin must be unlocked for usage by playing through Poker Night 2.
- Psycho Pack: Released on May 14th 2013. Adds the Psycho as a playable character.
- Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep: Leaked through a picture taken by a developer who was too slow in deleting it off Twitter. The DLC focuses on Tiny Tina DMing a tabletop RPG titled "Bunkers & Badasses" with Brick, Lilith and Mordecai as players, and the Vault Hunters as the characters.
Has a shout out page
Borderlands 2 contains examples of:
This ain't no place for no hero to call home.