Video Game / Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
is an EGA platformer game for MS-DOS written by Apogee Software.
The eponymous alien's family is forced into an emergency landing on a planet and when Cosmo is away from the ship, his parents are kidnapped. When the player is given control, it's up to him to find Cosmo's parents over the course of three episodes.
An interesting technical note about the game is that while it supports Adlib-compatible sound cards
for music, it provides sound effects only through the PC speaker.
Tropes used in the game:
- Bottomless Pits: Usually played straight. Subverted in episode 2, level 1, which eventually leads to a giant monster thing
- Continuing Is Painful: The game has infinite lives, but the levels have no checkpoints, and dying makes you lose all the bonus stars and collectables you have.
- Exposed Extraterrestrials: Cosmo, his parents, and presumably the rest of his race are normally naked.
- Fission Mailed: In the second episode, Cosmo has to climb to the highest part of the last level to reach an open cavity in the ceiling and thus finish the quest. If the player dies near that high point, the character's death animation will begin as his soul rises to the heavens. Since reaching the top happens to be the goal of the level, the game will successfully end as if he had reached there alive.
- The Goomba: The small red enemies, which just walk around and are defeated by a single stomp.
- Goomba Stomp: The player's primary attack.
- Heart Container: The hamburgers, which increase your hit point capacity by one.
- Invisible Monsters: A type of robot which will shove you around.
- The Lost Woods: There are a few levels set in forests, but the fourth level of episode 1 best exemplifies this trope, with its creepy-looking trees (with eyes looking out of them), ghosts, and a thunderstorm.
- Parents in Distress: The reason for the adventure.
- Satiating Sandwich: Two per game, each one giving you an additional hit point.
- Shout-Out: The default high scores listing is names of characters from The Simpsons.
- Spikes Of Doom: Some are stationary, while others continually retract into the walls and then come out again. They can usually be removed with bombs.
- Stalactite Spite: Applies to some of the short yellow spikes.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The player's other attack.
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: The first level of episode 2 is just a giant gradually narrowing pit which leads to a giant monster. The first level of episode 3 takes it farther, which requires you to walk straight into a monster's mouth to continue to the next level
- Tube Travel: Via the green pipes, which, oddly, look too thin for Cosmo to fit.
- Unwinnable by Mistake: Some levels contain a Mook Maker plant that will swallow the player and spit him out again. If you bomb it while you're inside, you're stuck and will have to load a saved game.
- Wall Crawl / Wall Jump: Using Cosmo's suction hands, you can repeatedly jump and stick to walls to scale them. You slide down ice walls, but it's still possible to get up them.
- Winged Soul Flies Off at Death: If Cosmo dies from anything other than falling off the screen, he too wears a toga, wings, halo and carries a harp, and flies off.
- Womb Level: Mentioned above.