Unusually Uninteresting Sight
"In fact, mostly they just swerved and looked irritated, as if they had to deal with a lot of ratty teenagers carrying old hippie women across the freeway."An Unusually Uninteresting Sight is something that is blatantly unusual, yet nobody seems to take notice of it. It could be an odd costume, Unusual Ears, an external monologue, a visible weapon, or an animal that only vaguely resembles a normal one (such as a blue wolf wearing armor). For some reason, none of the bystanders take notice or comment on it. In some cases this is justified with not being seen by mortals or for some reason, if it's a kid's show/book/comic/other, it's often stated that the weirdness cannot be seen by adults or doubters. While unusual hair or eye colors won't be noticed, they may not actually be there in the first place — see Hair Colors. When the Unusually Uninteresting Sight is ignored by apathetic folks in a metropolis, then that's City of Weirdos. The simplest explanation is that people may have simply gotten used to the sight and accept it as normal. Possibly an extension of the Bystander Syndrome or No Big Deal, contrast with Mundane Made Awesome and Faux Horrific. Occasionally justified with a Weirdness Censor. Common in Magic Realism and Mundane Fantastic. See also City of Weirdos, Fantastically Indifferent, Elephant in the Living Room, Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!, Metallicar Syndrome and Not Distracted by the Sexy.
— Percy Jackson, The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Fan Works
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
open/close all folders
- Several Inugami Circus Dan videos depict the members working in offices, sitting in cafes, meeting old friends and generally going about their business like ordinary people whilst wearing their trademark white and black facepaint. None of the extras notice, let alone comment on it. Particularly noticeable example from about 1:34 in this video
- Parodied in a Mariah Carey video (Boy - I Need You). It takes place in Tokyo with several giant monsters and mechs running amok, and the locals just go about their business.
- In the video for Lisa Stanfield's cover of Barry White's "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up", she goes out onto the streets, nude, after taking a bath. No one gives her anything more than a passing glance. Granted, she does eventually find a coat to put on as she heads to her boyfriend's house.
- Almost invoked with a spell in Pathfinder, aura of the unremarkable, which works as a sort of enforced version of this. It allows the target to perform any number of strange actions - perfectly in view of the public - and not have anyone view it as abnormal. They see and remember the actions normally, but unless it directly threatens them, they are magically compelled to think that there's nothing wrong with the someone walking up and stabbing the queen in broad daylight.
- Invoked by the narrator in GURPS Black Ops who took the subway after a mission with a gaping hole in his chest. Even though he left a large pool of blood underneath his feet not a single other soul on the train looked up or said anything. The narrator says that half the reason why their shadow war has remained a secret is that the world cannot and will not accept the existence of paranormal creatures and therefore will remain willfully ignorant writing off any unusual thing they see.