Webcomic / The Adventures of Superhero Girl
The Adventures of Superhero Girl
is a webcomic by Faith Erin Hicks, who previously created Demonology 101
Superhero Girl (or S.H.G) tries her best to do good but is often overshadowed by her older brother, Kevin, who is more popular and gets lots of money though sponsorship.
This webcomic contains example of
- At Arm's Length: When did freakishly long arms become your super power? (here)
- Canada, Eh?: Set in Halifax as a lot of Hicks' stuff is, and in one early strip SHG bemoans the lack of supervillains in Canada
- Clark Kenting: Parodied with Spectacle. She's a reverse Clark Kent — she wears glasses as part of her superhero costume, and takes them off in her civilian identity.
- Clothes Make the Legend: Averted, S.H.G. has been through plenty of costume changes in her life.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The heroine's real name has never been revealed. She's only ever referred to as "Superhero Girl". Her roommate is also as yet unnamed.
- Evil Costume Switch: Parodied; S.H.G has a bad hair day and wears a hoodie, noting that it makes her look like a Sith Lord. Suddenly everybody thinks she's evil. But not for that reason, as it turned out.
- Eye Beams: S.H.G has them; Kevin apparently doesn't.
- Flying Brick: Kevin, Spectacle and S.H.G (minus the flying part).
- Future Me Scares Me
- Highly Visible Ninja: You bump into them at the supermarket sometimes.
- Jerk Ass: Skeptical Guy, although he's more annoying than assholeish— he just refuses to believe that SHG is a real superhero
- Most Definitely Not a Superhero: S.H.G sometimes resorts to this. Unfortunately, the first time she tries this she forgot to take her mask off
- Never Mess with Granny: A reoccuring background character who also happens to be an elderly lady manages to take out a rampaging bear, causing S.H.G's roommate (who's filling in for her at the time) to question why the city even needs a superhero.
- Ninja: Lots of them as generic mooks.
- Not Quite Flight: S.H.G cannot fly, but she can jump over 'any building under 11 stories'.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Superhero Girl "It's what everybody calls me"
- Shrink Ray: here
- Secret Identity: S.H.G doesn't do a very good job at it but she's getting better!
- Stock Superhero Day Jobs: Several kinds, S.H.G is a freelance bum, Kevin is a career superhero and Spectacle is a rich socialite with too much time on her hands.
- Super Hero Origin: Subverted, S.H.G doesn't have a horrible back story for why she became a superhero and some of the local citizens think this doesn't make her a real hero.
- Super Strength: Part of S.H.G's powers
- Villains Out Shopping: Done literally