Wrestling: Hunter Johnston
(b. 1981) is an American Professional Wrestler
, trainer and booker known to fans of the sport as Delirious.
After being trained by Tracy Smothers and Kid Kash, Delirious debuted on July 19th 2001 at a Gateway Championship Wrestling show in Hillsboro Missouri alongside MsChif
, where he would defeat Billy McNeil. MsChif would join Delirious in the ring a month later at the DeSoto Wrestlefest, where they would defeat Matt Sydal and Christine in an inter gender tag team match and establish themselves as the first members of a group that would terrorize the rest of the GCW roster for years to come, Diabolic Khaos.
Delirious has gone on to compete for, among others, The International Wrestling Cartel, CHIKARA
, Dragon Gate
, Pro Wrestling NOAH
and Ring of Honor
, where he is the head trainer at the ROH Wrestling Academy and a booker. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former 1x CHIKARA Campeon de Parejas
, a 2x IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight Champion
, a 2x IWC Super Indy Champion
and a 5x holder of Larry Sweeney
's ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television Title
Not to be confused with Delirious?
or any other use of the name.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"The apparition of two faces in disgust, invisible but yet so clear... to the tropes!"
- Angrish: As if he was too easy to understand already, but this actually made him stand out in Gateway Championship Wrestling, as someone who was (comparatively) restrained even at their "Adult" shows.
- Appropriated Appellation: His moves were actually named by his enemies in Operation Shamrock, mostly by Ryan Ash. Delirious just went with it.
- Ax-Crazy - Only when he switches from the trademark green to red.
- Author Avatar: He is on Ring Of Honor's booking team, although he rarely appears on the shows since he joined he still occasionally does.
- Badass Beard/Beard of Evil: Depending on his face/heel alignment at the time. That beard has at times stretched down past his chest.
- Badass Teacher: He trained Harlem Bravado, Lance Bravado, Mia Yim, Portia Pérez, Veda Scott, and Daizee Haze. Then he became ROH's head trainer.
- Battle Strip: At the IWC Super Indy tournament Delirious kept stripping off his elbow pads and then putting them back on. Throwing them at the referee at one point.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: He adopted the dancing antics of the Osirian Portal after initially being caught off guard by them.
- Berserk Button: While in Ring of Honor it was messing with Daizee Haze, after the two were paired together by IWC, ICW and IWA Mid-South. Delirious's feud with Rhett Titus began when Rhett claimed to have filmed himself having sex with her. It was later shown how far gone Delirious was when he didn't care about Haze being hurt anymore but he eventually turned on the stable after Jimmy Jacobs attacked her, showing he was back to his old self.
"Age Of The Fall is falling down! I was lost but now I'm found!"
- Big Damn Heroes: Delirious, along with Kevin Steen and Wrestling/ElGenerico, cut off Jimmy Jacobs's efforts to continue The Age Of The Fall, saving Tyler Black from a bunch of masked goons Jacobs had brought in for that purpose in the process.
- Bookends: The Irish Luchador Billy McNeil was his first and final opponent in Gateway... if you count the Dynamo Pro GCW reunion show (otherwise his final match was against Dingo). Delirious won the first but lost the last.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In Chikara after he was abducted by The Order Of The Neo-Solar Temple
- Character Filibuster: During their fourth match tiebreaker at IWA Mid-south No Blood, No Guts, No Glory '05 CM Punk talked about IWA M-S being "His house" which caused Delirious to go off on Punk for two straight minutes.
- Clothing Damage: His first mask was ripped by Matt Sydal, who turned Delirious's own stake against him in GCW. His next mask was torn in a ladder match with Jimmy Jacobs for the IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight championship. His first challenge for Bryan Danielson's ROH title was stopped by the referee to Delirious's torn mask (and skin)
- Cloudcuckoolander: Oh yeah. Just look at his name.
- Color Motif: Started with a blueish green tail on a black and white mask but then settled on the on green and black getup he would become best known for until he was forced to join the BDK and wear white again. He wore red during his feud with the Hangmen 3 and was forced to wear black by The Order Of The Neo-solar Temple, while encouraged to wear black in Age Of The Fall. Silver was added to the usual design in Incoherence.
- Confusion Fu: TNA played up his offense this way, his fighting style has been called "unpredictable scientific virtuoso".
- Continuity Nod
- He retains his dislike of all the wrestlers he feuded with in previous promotions he worked for, even if they have no current kayfabe reason to be against each other. Especially if it is Evan Bourne.
- Delirious using Matt Sydal's "Here It Is" to defeat the towering Hydra in CHIKARA.
- Cool Teacher: Ring of Honor has promoted him as such when advertising for their school.
- Cower Power: Much to Dave Prazak's annoyance after Austin Aries turned on DP Associates.
- Crazy Consumption: He's been known to try and eat unattended food or drink out of containers left behind by fans if he happens to end up outside of the ring during matches. There were apparently no bugs are the NWA Wildside arena because Delirious at them all. In IWA Mid-South, commentator Jim Fannin would urge him to "eat the air". In Ring Of Honor, he had been seen chewing on the ring ropes and once tried to eat the tassels hanging off his own mask!
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: For all his running around and incomprehensible ramblings, he is a really good wrestler.
- Crowd Chant
- "Bah, Bah, Bah, Bah!" It seems to be something he screamed at a Gateway event that the GCW faithful started yelling at him ever since, quickly spreading to many other promotions. In Chikara Delirious adopted it as his battle cry against UltraMantis Black.
- The ROH bots had a tendency to chant "You got cock blocked" at Delirious while he was feuding with Rhett Titus.
- Distaff Counterpart: Delirious brought out a woman who would be dubbed "Shelirious" wearing a replica of his mask in order to mess with CM Punk. It was Daizee Haze
- Do Not Call Me Paul: Yeah, Delirious would not be very happy if he read the title of his trope page.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Its a tossup as to whether Delirious will be wrestling in footwear or not. And being who he is, Delirious my make one experience close and prolonged exposure to his bare feet.
- The Dragon: In The Age of the Fall. He and MsChif would alternate between being the big bad and the dragon of Diablic Khaos. (If Delirious asserted himself, she would 'listen', otherwise they mostly followed MsChif's plans)
- Dreadlock Warrior: His mask has attachments meant to look this way, although his first mask had "hair" that was more like a ponytail.
- Ear Ache: Delirious bit Adam Pearce's ear to get back at being stapled by him.
- Enemy Mine
- He did briefly put aside his differences with Matt Sydal to challenge the Iron Saints for the IWA-MS tag team titles but they went back to being enemies after this. Matt Sydal and Daizee Haze did keep Fast Eddie from interfering when Delirious and Jimmy Rave were the last two wrestlers in the NWA Super Indy Elimination match, so there was precedent for it. They also teamed up against the Briscoes at Ring Of Honor's Survival Of The Fittest but immediately went back to fighting each other once that was done.
- Teamed with The Human Tornado in Ring Of Honor against Age Of The Fall.
- Also in Ring Of Honor with Jerry Lynn because of mutual enemy Rhett Titus
- Et Tu, Brute?: A brief case of it regarding MsChif when she accidentally hit Delirious with a cookie sheet at GCW Adults F-N Only 3 he took it as a shocking betrayal. This lead to an exchange of moves capped off by colliding drop kicks and simultaneous head spring kip ups that got standing applause...for heels. She kicked him in the crotch at the end of the match, reflexively, while he was trying to help her up from behind.
- Evil Mentor: To the Batiri (Obariyon, Kodama and Kobald) for a while.
- Extreme Melee Revenge: After taking up the color red, this became his calling card. Jimmy Jacobs encouraged Delirious to go beyond the what was necessary when getting revenge on Rhett Titus, in order to bring him into Age Of The Fall.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: He wears more accessories on his left arm and the left side of his mask is more detailed. His Incoherence Mask has a silver lens over the left eye and an open right.
- Finishing Move: Along with the to a bent over back splash (Shadows Over Hell, see below) Delirious also has the Bizarro Driver (Fisherman driver), Chemical Imbalance(pump handle driver), Chemical Imbalance II(double pump handle wheelbarrow driver-he called it Stem cell research in the NWA), Cobra Stretch(modified cobra clutch) and briefly the Praying Mantis Bomb (he was forced to use it)
- Flipping the Bird: When questioned on Jimmy Jacobs during Edge Of Sanity: The Delirious Story, Delirious's response was to raise his middle finger, he then lowered it and apologized to the interviewer.
- Friend to All Children: When Incoherence won the Chikara Campeon De Parejas, they brought in a bunch of kids to celebrate with them in the ring.
- Funetik Aksent: Some GCW editor had fun with this after the promotion's signature match, the light heavyweight four way dance, could not happen at Adults F-N Only 7, because Billy McNeil was beaten down by Delirious and Outtkast prior.
4 - 1 = a f-n 3 way. Delirious: Haja, saja, Fauaokayaoau!
- Genre Savvy: While MsChif was beating up Chad Paint for suggesting she give him a lap dance at GCW Adults F-N 10, Delirious, seemingly at random, started climbing to the top turnbuckle, and then jumped out of the ring, landing on top of his opponent, Chaz Wesson, as Wesson was entering the arena, giving Wesson no time to get his bearings.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!
- At From Zero to Hero (& Castagnoli), Delirious ended his and Hallowicked's promo by referencing Booker T's infamous botched promo from WCW Spring Stampede 97 by saying, "Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, we coming for you, n-word!". Yes, Delirious said "n-word," not the actual word Booker had made the mistake of saying nine years earlier.
- Along similar lines, CHIKARA refers to one of his signature moves, commonly known as Shadows Over Hell, as "Shadows Over Heck," or "Shadows Over Hades."
- Heroic Second Wind: The Ultimate Warrior's rope shaking one, as to be expected, during the Ring of Honor tribute to Ultimate Warrior.
- Implacable Man: Once he has decided he is going to face wash someone, good luck stopping him
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: He put a pair of brass knuckles in his mask and then headbutted Adam Pearce.
- Improvised Weapon: Delirious reached outside the ring and grabbed a knick knack cabinet at GCW Adults F-N Only 2. This came back to bite Diabolic Khaos when Billy McNeil and Matt Sydal made use of its broken splinters.
- In the Hood: In Ring Of Honor, starting with his switch to Red.
- Jobber: This was his role in TNA, where he couldn't even beat other jobbers in dark matches, and dark matches is where he spent most of his time. This was also his role in Ring Of Honor better in the sense had more taped matches, worse in the sense that meant more people were seeing his losses, though it didn't really detract from Delirious's popularity. Eventually, Jim Cornette gave him a "win or be fired" ultimatum, which made Ricky Reyes his first ROH victory. After that, Delirious was allowed to win more ROH matches and became more of a jobber to the stars. Upon entry to the International Wrestling Cartel he was able to shed his jobber image almost completely.
- Laughing Mad: Whenever Delirious has a tendency to talk to himself and chuckle during the parts of the match where he isn't taking any offense.
- Loser Leaves Town: Lost one of these to UltraMantis Black in December of 2014, sending Delirious out of Chikara.
- Man Bites Man: Delirious and Jimmy Jacobs degenerated into biting one another during their IWA M-S first blood match. Delirious was accused of being literal minded when he bit Cheeseburger at Elite Wrestling.
- Maniac Tongue: Not all the time, but he has stuck his tongue out for no reasons several times. Sometimes there is one, such as Blowing a Raspberry to the camera or try to taste some food but usually it seems to be a spontaneous thing.
- Mask of Power: According to his own site, Delirious lost his previous identity trying to emulate what they thought the mask represents but gained a sense of power and a false sense of security from it. If Chris Jericho is to be believed, he used to be an auctioneer.
- Meaningful Name: According to Chris Jericho
- No Sell: Delirious and Hallowicked no sold the chops of Chuck Taylor and Icarus, letting Friends In Similar Tights know they were going to have to work extra hard to retain their titles (which they did not)
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Delirious has never been treated like a complete joke, but after being broken out of his Brainwashed and Crazy status due to the Eye of Tyr, he has been stalking UltraMantis Black looking for revenge, and come across as a major threat.
- One Steve Limit: Homicide and Samoa Joe have both wrestled in some of the same promotions as Delirious and have a move known as the face wash but while they repeatedly rubs their boot across a person's face, Delirious just touches them with his hand after sucking on it.
- Out Of Character Is Serious Business: As a member of The Order Of The Neo-Solar Temple Delirious was not nearly as erratic or hyper active. Ares released him from Ultramantis Black's control he went back to his running, rambling self.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: He tried to duplicate CM Punk's hide in the crowd spot by stealing an audience member's hat. Not only was this tactic questionable since CM Punk is used to using it himself but Delirious's mask with ropes dangling off it made it even more obvious.
- Parts Unknown: "The Realm Of Insanity", "The Edge of Sanity," "Dante's Inferno", the closest thing he's been given to a tangible hometown is "The Swamps Of Florida."
- Pass the Popcorn: At the GCW Adults F-N Only 6 Elimination match, Jack Adonis and Billy McNeil sat back and watched while Delirious and Dingo wrestled what amounted to an amateur match. Later in the match, McNeil and Delirious sat on the turnbuckles while Adonis broke chairs by power bombing Dingo on them, hitting Dingo with chairs of their own when he got close.
- Poisonous Person: Delirious broke out a version of the mist called the "Red poison" against Hangmen 3, which seemed to temporarily close their airways so they could not breathe. This was revenge for them trying to hang him.
- Power Stable:
- Diabolic Khaos was a power stable for part of its run when MsChif brought in Jackal and Cabal, the tag team known as Nightbreed. Cabal turned on the rest of the group and Jackal would not join Delirious and MsChif outside of GCW.
- (in ROH): The Age of the Fall
- (in FIP): DP Associates
- (in CHIKARA):
- Pretty Boy Power: A trope Delirious refuses to believe in, he is the natural enemy of all pretty boys. It started with Matt Sydal but really was played up when he was in Dragon Gate.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: His promo at CHIKARA Don't Eat the Black One, March 19, 2005, was him rapping, of a sort, lyrics from Esham's "Silicone."
- Put on a Bus: After becoming head booker he stopped wrestling for ROH, presumably to prevent any conflict of interest (which is something that people like Kevin Nash would have been wise to do in the past). After getting a win over Austin Aries in a steel cage, Delirious has since stopped regularly performing at ROH shows, usually only popping up for special events such as when he wrestled Colt Cabana in a match dedicated to the late Larry Sweeney or Jay Lethal in a match dedicated to the Ultimate Warrior.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Starting in GCW and again in CHIKARA: Dimmu Borgir's "Hybrid Stigmata- The Apostasy"
- Hecate Enthroned's "The Pagan Swords of Legend" (when teaming with MsChif, post GCW)
- Red Baron: (in CHIKARA): "The Perfect Weapon". He's also been known as "Lizard man".
- The Rival:
- In Gateway he had a rivalry with Diamond Back Dingo, whom he trained. Delirious also faced off with one of his own trainers, Kid Kash (the trainer/student dynamic was not mentioned very often in Gateway however)
- He had a significant feud with Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne) that started in Gateway but spread across several different organizations.
- CM Punk specifically in IWA Mid-South. Punk's last match for the promotion was a one hour time limit draw with Delirious.
- Tyler Black, in IWA Mid-South, FIP and Ring Of Honor in particular and particularly during the Age Of The Fall mess, where they seemed to alternate between friend and foe almost at random if you watched all three.
- No matter how heated or personal his feuds with Jimmy Jacobs get, the two always seem to end up back on the same side, some way or another.
- Austin Aries hasn't been a particular bitter enemy (though there was that time he kicked Deirious's throat in and that time he kidnapped Daizee Haze), but he has been a consistent one, perhaps surpassed only by Matt Sydal and Jimmy Jacobs in the amount of times they've faced each other, though they have worked together too in DP Associates. If Aries isn't #3 throughout the various promotions Delirious has been through, then it is probably Roderick Strong. Even Aries found Strong attacking an unconscious Delirious unconscionable.
- Ultramantis Black in CHIKARA. Since very nearly the beginning of Delirious' association with the promotion, he and Ultramantis have been involved with each other in some fashion, usually at odds.
- Sanity Slippage: In Ring of Honor when Hangmen 3 stapled his mask to his face...he did not take it too well.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: While on commentary at GCW Adults F-N Only Sean Vincent who was expecting not to have to wrestle, took off his referee uniform to chants of "Put your shirt on." with five claps in between. Delirious sang along with them, and "sang" the claps.
- Signature Move: In Vitro Fertilization (gut wrench cutter) Multiple corner clotheslines (Never ending story) Panic Attack (running knee to someone sitting in the corner), banana phone (small package)
- Slasher Smile - Even as a face, there's something unsettling about Delirious's smile.
- Student and Master Team: Besides Daizee Haze, technically, Delirious has also teamed up with Leech Landa, who came out of the ROH Wrestling School while Delirious was at the head of it.
- Stunned Silence: When Steven Prazak tried to interview Delirious, to get his thoughts on being the first NWA Wild Side Super Indy Challenge Champion, he got no response from the wide eyed Delirious, who he noticed was drooling, copiously. When Delirious eventually opened his mouth he still could not find any words.
- Tag Team:
- Diabolic Khaos, with MsChif
- Jiglirious, with Jigsaw
- Incoherence, with Hallowicked and Frightmare.
- Team Pet: To the BDK. Even acknowledged as this by the announcers due to Ares dragging him around with a chain around his neck.
- Tournament Arc: Besides NWA Wildside's Super Indy Tournament in 2004, he was also in ROH's Survival of the Fittest in 2006 and the Ted Petty Invitational hosted by Independent Wrestling Association Mid-South. He's also won the International Wrestling Cartel's Super Indy 5 Tournament. He joined with Eddie Edwards to compete in the 2011 Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League held by Pro Wrestling NOAH.
- Trash Talk: Large amounts of it, not that most people can understand or even realize he is doing so. After being freed from the eye of Tyr he did slow down enough so the audience can hear why the other guy is so upset, especially when Delirious was a rudo.
- The Unintelligible
- He tends to talk very fast and repeat himself a lot or rapidly restate the point and while sometimes what he says doesn't actually resemble words, if you listen he is able to put his overall point across. That said, his team with Hallowicked and Frightmare was called Incoherence for a reason. Until he destroyed the Eye of Tyr at CHIKARA The Thirteenth Hat January 28, 2012, and shouted "I REMEMBER EVERYTHING!". He would speak intelligibly for the rest of his CHIKARA run, where he made clear that he wasn't happy about what he went through while brainwashed by it.
- Even after the Eye of Tyr broke, Delirious's handwriting and typing remain unintelligible, even moreso than his speech used to be...though if one looks at it hard enough, one can usually get the general idea even of what his text is trying to tell you.
- Use Your Head: His Sternum Headbutt, for starters. At GCW No Pain No Gain he countered Kid Kash's double under hook piledriver by bringing his head up between his legs.
- Villainous Crush: Daizee Haze and Delirious did not start off as allies in GCW, incidentally, but she was made his 'translator' in ICW and Delirious eventually fell for her, though Haze preferred they stay "Just Friends". In Ring Of Honor he even found himself siding with her against his long time partner MsChif, though Jimmy Jacobs put him between them on purpose.
- Waxing Lyrical: Incoherence challenged the PWG World Tag Team Champions the Dynasty (Joey Ryan and Scott Lost) at PWG ˇDia De Los Dangerous!. Because the show was in Reseda, California, amidst Delirious' usual ramblings, he sang "I really dig those styles they wear".
- Weapon of Choice: A wooden stake in GCW. The green mist everywhere. He brought the stake back in IWA Mid-South to use on Jimmy Jacobs in a first blood match.
- Would Hit a Girl: If he was going to be true to the Ultimate Warrior, he had to go after "Sherri" at the ROH tribute show. Also when he was a part of Age Of The Fall, Delirious would attack women at Jimmy Jacob's command. Outside of those roles, Delirious is a lot more reluctant. His solution to Mike Bennets meddling manager Maria was just to kiss her, for example.
- You Taste Delicious: Delirious started pulling out and eating referee Don Matthew's hair in his Elite Wrestling debut.