(1981-2011) was an American Professional Wrestler
and manager from Chicago
as Larry Sweeney.
He debuted in 2000 and competed in various independent promotions while also training at various schools, including that of Playboy Buddy Rose
in Portland, OR. He officially launched his career in 2004 after training at the CHIKARA
Wrestle Factory. He is best known for his work in CHIKARA and Ring of Honor
, particularly as the manager for, respectively, Sweet 'n' Sour International and Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. Over his career, he was the second-ever CHIKARA Young Lions Cup Champion, a 2x IWC Super Indy Champion
, and, of course, the 22x ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television Champion
, a title he introduced. His work as a manager in ROH earned him The Wrestling Observer Newsletter
's "Best Non-Wrestler" award for 2007 and 2008. Sadly, after years of struggling with Bipolar Disorder
, he was found dead on April 11, 2011 of a suicide, via hanging himself from the turnbuckles at a Lake Charles, Louisiana wrestling school. CHIKARA named the tournament to crown the first ever CHIKARA Grand Champion
the "12 Large Summit," In Memoriam
, after his Catch Phrase
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"Sweet 'n' Sour tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: Eddie Kingston, Mike Quackenbush
- Ascended Fanboy: He was present at the International Wrestling Cartel's second Super Indy Tournament as a fan. He beat Jay Lethal, Azrieal, and Shiima Xion to win the IWC's sixth Super Indy Tournament.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: As a manager in ROH.
- Bash Brothers: with Mitch Ryder, Hallowicked.
- Big Bad: In 2004, arguably the first one in CHIKARA history.
- Bullying a Dragon: At CHIKARA Sand in the Vaseline, he teamed with Mana "The Polynesian Warrior", a 300+ lbs. powerhouse, against Lancelot (Lance Steel and Lance Steel), and lost after one of the Steels threw Sweeney into Mana and rolled him up for the pin. Sweeney got mad after the match, blamed Mana for the loss, and slapped him. Mana responded by slapping Sweeney and giving him a Samoan Drop.
- Worth It: Sweeney defeated Mana a month later at Aniversario Delta to end the feud.
- Car Fu: To Eddie Kingston during their feud.
- Cheap Heat: Sweeney came to SHIMMER's "main base", so to speak, Berwyn Illinois, to negotiate another title shot for Sara Del Rey after SHIMMER Champion MsChif laid out the terms for Serena Deeb earning one. He arranged for Del Rey to get her shot at a Ring Of Honor taping because Berwyn was an unworthy town that he vowed to never return to.
- Christmas Episode: Defeated Mastif at NWA New York X-Mas Chaos in 2006
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Disappeared from CHIKARA in 2009 due to personal issues. He made a one-night return in 2010 but tragically passed away the following year.
- Cool Mask: As Vökoder.
- Cool Shades: As seen above. CHIKARA King of Trios 2011, held from April 15-17, was dedicated to him. The first show started with a tribute video, a ten-bell count, and the roster gathered around the ring chanting "Sweeney! Sweeney!" and "Sweet 'n' Sour! Sweet 'n' Sour!" while a pair of sunglasses were placed in the middle of the ring in tribute.
- Dance Battler: At IWA Mid-South The Revolution Strong Style Tournament 2005, he defended his ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television Title against Colt Cabana and Delirious in a Three-Way Dance. At one point, Delirious and Cabana were simply standing in front of each other and appeared to be seeing who had the best scream. Sweeney told them that you don't scream in wrestling, you strut. "More More More" by the Andrea True Connection came on, and Sweeney started his usual strutting around the ring. Then Cabana tried it.
- Evil Laugh: He had a pretty great laugh all around. The big laugh you heard in "Damn Pause Button!" was his.
- Finishing Move: Along with the "'68 Comeback Special" (see Shout-Out below) and the 12 Large Elbow (see Wrestling Doesn't Pay below), he had a seated Dragon Sleeper he called the Boa Constrictor.
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: Usually an over sized feather boa draped over his neck
- Gimmick Matches: At CHIKARA The Never-before-seen House Show put his Larry Sweeney put his ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television Title on the line against a fan in an Arm-Wrestling Match (Sweeney won).
- Heävy Mëtal Ümlaut: As Vökoder
- Heel: Almost always.
- Humiliating Wager: Found himself on the receiving end of one in 2005. At CHIKARA Aniversario Blue, May 20, 2005, Knight Eye for the Pirate Guy (Lance Steel and Jolly Roger) defeated Sweeney and ShareCropper in a match where, had Sweeney's team won, Allison Danger would have to be Sweeney's "slave" for 30 days, but, if Knight Eye won, Sweet 'n' Sour International would have to appear in diapers the following night. Knight Eye won when Sweeney was Hoisted by His Own Petard after accidentally hitting ShareCropper with a chain. Steel pinned ShareCropper for the win. The following night, Aniversario Orange, Sweeney walked out and said that ShareCropper wasn't there so he doesn't have to appear in a diaper. Leonard F. Chikarason threatened Sweeney with not being able to wrestle for CHIKARA again if he didn't live up to the stipulation in the contract. Sweeney stormed off and came back 10 minutes later with Sweet 'n' Sour International (Crossbones, Rorschach, Mano Metalico) and himself all wearing diapers. Sweeney complained how they were in this situation because they didn't listen to him, they hadn't gotten on the winning streak that he wanted and, Crossbones wouldn't put the dishes away. Sweeney fired all three guys, said he quits and that Sweet 'n' Sour International was no more, and left through the back door.
- Improvised Weapon: When Delirious took off his boot, to better attack Sweeney's leg (to make sure he could never dance with Daizee Haze again) Sweeney took off his sock and shoved it down Delirious's throat.
- Jerkass: Especially to his Butt Monkey Bobby Dempsey in ROH.
- Large Ham: The largest.
- Machine Guns: His usual strutting routine would include him imitating firing one of these.
- Mundane Made Awesome: So many things, but especially every time he'd challenge his opponents to a strut-off.
- The One Man Gang pretty much squashed him in one during the Fabulous Three (Sweeney/Mitch Ryder/Shayne Hawke) vs. Team WWF (OMG/Demolition) match at King of Trios 2008, Night 2, though.
- Playing with Fire: He once threw a fireball at Eddie Kingston.
- Power Stable:
- (in ROH): Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. (with Sara Del Rey, Matt Sydal [Evan Bourne], Chris Hero, Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, Brent Albright, Bobby Dempsey, Adam Pearce, "Lightning" Mike Quackenbush and Go Shiozaki).
- (in CHIKARA): Sweet 'n' Sour International (with UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked, Claudio Castagnoli, Mano Metalico, Flex Fenom, Sharecropper, Crossbones, Spyrazul [Mike Quackenbush], Rorshach, Mobius)
- The Kings of Wrestling (with Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Icarus, Gran Akuma, Chuck Taylor, Mitch Ryder, Shane Hawke, Arik Cannon, Max Boyer)
- Real Men Wear Pink: And various other colors.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Red Baron: "Sweet 'n' Sour"
- Separated by a Common Language: Pure Wrestling Commandment #2, thou shalt not speak British, lest though forfeit all rope breaks.
- Shout-Out: His neckbreaker-into-a-DDT Finishing Move, the "'68 Comeback Special"
- Smug Snake: As a heel manager, and he admired several of the past, such as Bobby Heenan, Ric Flair and Roddy Piper.
- Start My Own
- His ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television Title, which he held 22 times. He introduced it at CHIKARA Planet of the Grapes, June 19, 2005, claiming to have won it in a 16-man tournament in Shreveport, LA.
- He awarded Chris Hero and Sara Del Rey "The ROH Undisputed Intergender Heavyweight Tag Team Championships of the World" and challenged teams to try and defeat them.
- Tag Team:
- The Fabulous Three, with Mitch Ryder and Shayne (Buck) Hawke
- The Fabulous Two, with Mitch Ryder
- The Downtown Playboys with King Kahlua
- Flamboyant Destiny with Shiima Xion
- Talk Show with Fists: (in ROH): "The Sweet Shop"
- Third-Person Person: "Larry Sweeney has always had an eye for greatness," et. al.
- Wrestling Doesn't Pay: This was the inspiration for his "12 Large, brother" Catch Phrase (and his 12 Large diving elbow drop). He had been working an independent show with the Patriot (Tom Brandi). During an intermission, when they were doing their best to sell merchandise at their respective gimmick tables, Sweeney asked the Patriot how he was doing. The Patriot responded, "I'm up 12 Large, brother," meaning that Brandi had made 12 dollars.