Wrestling: Mike Quackenbush
As the "I-Crown" ChampionMichael G. Spillane
(b. 1976) is an American Professional Wrestler
, promoter, trainer and author from West Lawn, PA as "Lightning" Mike Quackenbush.
He debuted in 1994 and competed in various independents, training under Ace Darling. In 2002, he founded CHIKARA
. Over the course of the promotion's existence, he has worked as a wrestler, trainer, commentator, booker and general face of the company. He has also competed for CZW
, Dragon Gate
, Michinoku Pro Wrestling
, Ring of Honor
, and many other promotions. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a 1x CHIKARA Campeon de Parejas
with Jigsaw, a former NWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion
, a 2x CZW World Junior Heavyweight Champion
and, in 2007, he, Jigsaw and Shane Storm won the inaugural CHIKARA King of Trios Tournament.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"The Master of a Thousand Tropes":
- The Ace: From CHIKARA's inception to at least 2008, possibly until 2011 when he lost in the 12 Large Summit final to Eddie Kingston.
- Arch-Enemy: Chris Hero, Larry Sweeney, Claudio Castagnoli
- Badass Teacher: He was heavily involved in training many of the wrestlers who have been on CHIKARA's roster at one point or another.
- Bash Brothers: With Jigsaw and with Eddie Kingston
- Chekhov's Gun: The counter to the CHIKARA Special, since the only reason anyone would insist on creating a counter to his own finisher is because it would be important to the story later on, which is exactly what happened.
- Determinator/Made of Iron: He suffered a concussion during his IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight Title match with Joey Ryan which was a quarterfinal in the IWA Mid-South: 2007 Ted Petty Invitational Tournament, September 29, 2007. Despite that, he managed to win the match, and, ultimately, the tournament that same night.
- Finishing Move: Several.
- The Quackendriver (4 versions QD-QD IV)
- Lightning Lock Beta
- The CHIKARA Special, which he innovated.
- Grey and Black Morality: Quack's been deliberately trying to give the GEKIDO wrestlers career ending injuries, and succeeded with 2 of them. But he only started doing this as a response to GEKIDO doing it, and he says he's doing it to protect his roster from GEKIDO and others like them.
- He Who Fights Monsters: In 2012. With the GEKIDO invasion, Quack has been getting increasingly vicious in his attacks on GEKIDO's members.
- The Hero/Big Good: In the feud with the Kings of Wrestling.
- The Host: He was the original one for CHIKARA's weekly YouTube series "Podcast-A-Go-Go."
- Impersonation Gambit: At CHIKARA Young Lions Cup II, Night II, July 31, 2004, there was a trios match where the Dark Breed (Hallowicked and UltraMantis Black) and DJ Skittles defeated the Sweet 'n' Sour International team of Spyrazul, Mobius and Flex Fenom. At Retribution Rumble of Revenge and Rumble to Remember, August 27th, there was an atomicos (8-man tag match) with Jigsaw/Jolly Roger/Men @ Work (Mister ZERO and Shane Storm) vs. the Sweet 'n' Sour International team of Larry Sweeney, Spyrazul, Rorschach and Crossbones, which Jigsaw's team won. Before the match, Sweeney was asking where Quackenbush was. Shane Storm defeated Spyrazul at Beware of Barely Badd Blasts and/or Blood Brawls on the Beach on September 25th. At The Cibernetico Cometh on October 30th, there was the first-ever Torneo Cibernetico match, with Jigsaw's team (Jigsaw/Men @ Work/F.I.S.T. [Icarus & Gran Akuma]/Jolly Roger and Private Eye/DJ Skittles) vs. Sweet 'n' Sour International (Sweeney/Spyrazul/Sharecropper/The Dark Breed/Crossbones/Mano Metallico/Rorschach.) When the match was down to Jigsaw vs. Sweeney/Spyrazul/Rorschach, Spyrazul hit a Black Tornado Slam on Rorschach and allowed Jigsaw to pin Rorschach. Spyrazul removed his mask to reveal, of course, Quackenbush. Quack threw the mask at Sweeney, wished Jigsaw luck and got himself counted out. This led to Jigsaw pinning Sweeney to win the match.
- One-Hit Kill: His palm strike.
- Power Stable:
- Put on a Bus: Vanished off the CHIKARA roster in 2013, after he received a packet of information regarding the Vavasseurs' company, Titor Conglomerate.
- Real Song Theme Tune: Tears For Fears' "Break It Down Again"
- Red Baron: "Lightning," "The Master of a Thousand Holds"
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: The booker for CHIKARA.
- Shout-Out: He chose the name "Lightning" as a tribute to one of his heroes, Jushin "Thunder" Liger.
- So Last Season: Subverted. He pinned Bryan Danielson with the Alligator Clutch, not seen as a "legit" finishing move since the days of George Becker! Even in Becker's days it often failed.
- Tag Team:
- The Black T-Shirt Squad, w/Don Montoya and Reckless Youth
- The Superfriends, w/Chris Hero
- Team Frightning, w/Hallowicked and Frightmare
- Too Many Belts: Held six titles at once in 2004, from promotions in the U.S., Mexico and Germany. At the Season 3 opener, Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays, he announced a gauntlet match, ultimately won by Jigsaw, to determine the Number #1 contender to all of them.
- The Unfettered: As of High Noon, when Kingston beat Quack for the Grand Championship, Quack feels like he's not the face of the company anymore and thus doesn't have any obligation to take the high road against invaders like GEKIDO.
If you think, for some reason, we're going to stand idly by while you come in here and try to wreck what we have built over the last eleven seasons, I will greet you at the door and I will break your bones.