WE THE PEOPLE!Jacob "Jake" Hager, Jr
. (born March 24, 1982) is an American professional wrestler
from Perry, Oklahoma signed to WWE
, better known by his ring name Jack Swagger
Hager attended the University of Oklahoma as a two sport athlete, participating in both football and wrestling. He switched to wrestling full-time in his sophomore year, and in 2006, set the record for most pins in a season with 30 as an All-American. Following a try-out, Hager signed a WWE contract in mid-2006. He made his debut for the WWE developmental territory Deep South Wrestling in September, and was moved to the Ohio Valley Wrestling territory in January 2007. A few months later, Hager debuted for Florida Championship Wrestling (FCW), where he was the final FCW Southern Heavyweight Champion
and the inaugural FCW Florida Heavyweight Champion
In late 2008, he debuted for the ECW brand under the name Jack Swagger, and in January 2009, he won his first World Championship, the ECW Heavyweight Championship
defeating Matt Hardy. In March 2010, while a member of the Raw brand, he won the Money in the Bank ladder match at WrestleMania XXVI
, and cashed it in later that week on Smack Down
, defeating Chris Jericho
to become the World Heavyweight Champion
. In January 2012, he won the United States Championship
, defeating Zack Ryder
"All-American American Tropes":
- All American Face: Inverted.
- Always Someone Better: Swagger seems as of late to have fallen a step or two behind his "Real American" partner Cesaro. When Swagger failed to qualify for the 2014 Elimination Chamber, Cesaro succeeded. And even when Swagger made Colter proud by winning #1 contendership for the IC Title on Smackdown, it paled in comparison to Colter's pride for Cesaro, who shockingly beat the WWE World Champion Randy Orton later that night. Jack can't seem to catch a break.
- Arch-Enemy: When tagging with Dolph Ziggler, Air Boom. Singles, Alberto Del Rio.
- Badass Boast
- Beard of Evil: When he returned from his six months of absent he sported one.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Brain Washed: The commentators and Jim Ross in particular believe this is the case as Swagger never showed any traces of his "Real American" gimmick before associating himself with Zeb Colter.
- The Bully: Can come off as this very often. Most of his feuds tend to be with wrestlers significantly smaller, older, and/or weaker than he is. He once tried to call out Hornswoggle for a match in ECW. Of course, that was before WWE-ECW's more awesome moments when a certain someone came out in the middle of Swagger's promo to stop the madness.
- The Chew Toy: While it's pretty much been because of his own doing, Swagger just hasn't caught a break in his pursuit of the World Title since returning. Original penned to win it at WM 29? Changed due to his marijuana bust. Originally scheduled for a triple threat World Title match at Extreme Rules? Changed to a #1 Contender's "I Quit" match against Alberto Del Rio, which he lost, because he legitimately concussed World Champion Dolph Ziggler the week before. Haven't seen bad juju like this surrounding the World Title since late 2005-2007.
- Demoted to Extra: And it's reportedly a consequence of his having been caught smoking marijuana several times, as well as attitude/behavior issues.
- Dirty Coward
- Dumb Muscle: Zigzagged. Even though his Real Life persona errs much closer to that of a Genius Bruiser (he was a two-sport athlete at Oklahoma, where he also earned a degree in finance and was set to start a career in that field before WWE called him), he almost invariably comes off as this in storyline if he's aligned with someone else. It may be the lisp that has something to do with it, or his more-than-passing resemblance to Quasimodo.
- Expy: Where have we seen this before? An arrogant but talented wrestler who brags about his accomplishments in amateur wrestling while wearing the traditional wrestling singlet and using an ankle lock as a finisher? How about making him an American Patriot? Never seen that before in WWE.
- Finishing Move: The Red White and Blue Thunder Bombnote (Gutwrench powerbomb) and the Patriot Act (Ankle lock).
- Homage: The Swagger Bomb (a corner slingshot splash) is one of these to Vader.
- Irony: The Gadsden flag that flies in the background of Swagger's entrance video and YouTube vids symbolizes the American spirit ("Don't Tread On Me") and unity of the original thirteen colonies. Swagger's first major victory coming back to WWE? Defeating "The Viper" Randy Orton in the Elimination Chamber to face the World Champion at Wrestlemania.
- Jerkass: See The Bully above.
- Jerk Jock
- Large Ham: As is a prerequisite of most wrestlers nowadays.
- Lightning Bruiser: Weighs north of 260, but doesn't seem to give up a lot of speed to smaller opponents. And scarily enough, after his recent return (aside from his style being much more stiff) he seems to have gotten faster.
- Messy Hair: In stark contrast to his conservative hairstyle of old, when he came back in early 2013, his hair seemed to be all over the place.
- Mythology Gag: His manager, Zeb Coulter, is played by Dutch Mantel. Mantel had earlier been in WWE as Uncle Zebekiah in the 90s, managing the Blu Brothersnote and Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw.
- Out-of-Character Moment: During one vignette, he and Zeb were letting out some "Real American" rhetoric...and then break character completely, address the camera with their real names, and then explain to Glenn Beck (who had criticized the product very publicly) what Professional Wrestling by the WWE is supposed to be. They then segued right back into character.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Swagger's new "Real American" gimmick in 2013, standing against immigration.
- Put on a Bus: After an long losing streak in 2012, he took an extended leave of absence.
- The Bus Came Back: He came back six months later, on the February 1st edition of Smackdown.
- Red Baron: "The All-American American"
- Small Name, Big Ego: WHO AM I?
- Thpeech Impedient: Hith notitheable lithp ith mocked by hith opponenth.
- The Stoner: It could be argued very strongly that Swagger hasn't quite reached his potential in WWE in no small part because of his fixation with the cannabis plant. He's been caught with marijuana as recently as February 2013.
- What an Idiot: The timing could not have possibly been worse, as Swagger was in the middle of the biggest push of his career. It ended up costing him winning the World Heavyweight Title at WrestleMania.
- Took a Level in Badass: Jack Swagger . . . World Heavyweight Champion?!
- Also seems to have gotten back that level and then some upon his early 2013 return.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Several of his promos during his World Heavyweight Champion reign made it clear that his dad held him to extremely high standards and always expected him to become a champion.