With Lana"Русев удря, Русев мачка!English "Miroslav Barnyshev
(born December 25, 1985) is a Bulgarian
professional wrestler better known by his ring name Alexander Rusev
working for WWE
.That Other Wiki
has a rundown
on his life and career.
- Badass Beard
- Boring, but Practical: His camel clutch finisher.
- The Brute: He's even explicitly called the "Bulgarian Brute". See Red Baron.
- Does Not Like Shoes: He instead wears MMA-style strap footwear.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Appears in a music video for Kushinator's "The Whole F'n Show" - which was Rob Van Dam's TNA entrance theme.
- Expy: He looks like a mixture of Vladimir Kozlov and Umaga. But his partnership with Lana was specifically modeled after and compared to Ivan and Ludmilla Drago.
- Lampshaded by Xavier Woods, who called him an 'Ivan Drago-looking piece of garbage'.
- Lana also has a little bit of a Russian Vickie Guerrero going on, thanks to always beginning her speeches with a Russian equivalent to Vickie's "Excuse Me!"
- Fake Nationality: Zigzagged and Invoked. Apparently WWE thought no one would remember where Bulgaria is and decided to start billing Rusev as a Russian - except that they made this decision well after Rusev had debuted and wrestled several matches. So what you end up with is a Bulgarian who apparently really wants to be Russian.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: Straightest example of the trope to appear for WWE in several years. He was already earning strong heat when, at the 2014 Battleground pay-per-view, Lana turned things up several notches with an anti-United States promo; even though she did not specifically mention it, the mainstream media and many viewers claimed there was a strong tie-in to the crash of Malaysian Flight MH17, which killed 295 people just three days before the pay-per-view event and something that increased tensions between the United States and Russia.
- Hulk Speak: Sometimes dips into this. Justified as he likely doesn't know English very well.
- Lightning Bruiser: This man is deceptively fast for someone of his build; he's often, and accurately, described as "explosive".
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Lana believes so, and apparently so did Rusev, who has relocated from Bulgaria to Moscow.
- The Quiet One: Lana does most of his talking for him.
- Red Baron: The "Super Athlete" and the "Bulgarian Brute".
- Stout Strength
- Ur Example: The first Bulgarian to wrestle for WWE.