With Lana"Русев удря, Русев мачка!English "Miroslav Barnyshev
(born December 25, 1985) is a Bulgarian
professional wrestler better known by his ring name Alexander Rusev
(eventually shortened to just "Rusev") working for WWE
.That Other Wiki
has a rundown
on his life and career.
- Badass Beard
- Boring, but Practical: His camel clutch finisher.
- The Brute: He's even explicitly called the "Bulgarian Brute". See Red Baron.
- Does Not Like Shoes: He instead wears MMA-style strap footwear.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Appears in a music video for Kushinator's "The Whole F'n Show" - which was Rob Van Dam's TNA entrance theme.
- Was an entrant in the 2014 Royal Rumble, several weeks before making his Raw debut.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: He appeared quite different originally on NXT. Lana was not at his side, he came to the ring wearing a skirt and his theme music resembled that of an islander's. Also, he carried a plank with his opponent's name to the ring.
- Expy: He looks like a mixture of Vladimir Kozlov and Umaga. But his partnership with Lana was specifically modeled after and compared to Ivan and Ludmilla Drago. Lampshaded by Xavier Woods, who called him an "Ivan Drago-looking piece of garbage."
- Due to his beard, burly frame and shooter-ish gimmick, he somewhat evokes the UWF era Gary Albright. He even had a Suplex Finisher back in NXT.
- Lana also has a little bit of a Russian Vickie Guerrero going on, thanks to always beginning her speeches with a Russian equivalent to Vickie's "Excuse Me!"
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: Straightest example of the trope to appear for WWE in several years. He was already earning strong heat when, at the 2014 Battleground pay-per-view, Lana turned things up several notches with an anti-United States promo; even though she did not specifically mention it, the mainstream media and many viewers claimed there was a strong tie-in to the crash of Malaysian Flight MH17, which killed 295 people just three days before the pay-per-view event and something that increased tensions between the United States and Russia.
- Hulk Speak: Sometimes dips into this. Justified as he likely doesn't know English very well.
- Last Name Basis: Some time into the beginning of his run, the "Alexander" was dropped from his name completely, and he simply became known as "Rusev."
- Lightning Bruiser: This man is deceptively fast for someone of his build; he's often, and accurately, described as "explosive".
- Limited Wardrobe: Lana appears as if she has one outfit that simply changes colors every show.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Lana believes so, and apparently so did Rusev, who has relocated from Bulgaria to Moscow.
- The Quiet One: Lana does most of his talking for him.
- Red Baron: The "Super Athlete" and the "Bulgarian Brute".
- Stout Strength
- Ur Example: The first Bulgarian to wrestle for WWE.