"Oh oh yeah oh no oh get ready ready"
(b. 1969) is an American Professional Wrestler
from Fort Lauderdale, FL best known for his work in various independents in the 1990s as Vampire Warrior
and in WWE
from 1998-2001 as Gangrel.
He debuted in 1988 in the Florida independent scene before going on to Stampede, Herb Abrams' UWF, All Japan Pro Wrestling
, the USWA and ECW
. He made his PPV debut as Apocalypse of the Black Harts, teaming with Destruction (Tom Nash) in a victory over Fire Cat and Jim Cooper at UWF Beach Brawl
, June 9, 1991. He debuted in WWE on the August 16, 1998 WWF Sunday Night Heat
. In October, he, Edge
formed The Brood.
They feuded with the J.O.B. Squad
before surprising a lot of people by joining The Undertaker
's Ministry Of Darkness
. They later split from the Ministry, with Edge and Christian eventually going on to bigger and better things. Gangrel tried replacing them with the Hardyz
as The New Brood, but they broke away from him after defeating E&C in a ladder match at WWF No Mercy
in October 1999 to win Terri Runnels
' Terri Invitational Tournament
. Gangrel floundered in the midcard before being quietly released. He has regularly competed in the independents ever since. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former USWA Heavyweight Champion
and a 1x Stampede International Tag Team Champion
as Apocalypse of the Black Harts with Destruction (Tom Nash).
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Gothic, Vampiric Tropes":
- Aerith and Bob: The New Brood were Matt, Jeff and...Gangrel. We then also have Christian, Edge and Gangrel in the original Brood.
- Arch-Enemy: Sable and Marc Mero, due to Luna Vachon's (his wife at the time) Real Life feud with her.
- Becoming the Mask: He had dental surgery done to give himself real fangs!
- Big Entrance: And how! It ties with The Undertaker's as one of the best ones as he's actually rising from a ring of fire.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Or not; we don't really know the deal with this guy.
- Blood Bath: There was even something called a Blood Bath Match prior to Edge and Christian leaving the Brood.
- Breakup Breakout: From the Black Harts.
- The Jannetty: To Edge and Christian. Edge became a main eventer and an eleven-time world champion, even retiring while still world champion, while Christian became a star in TNA, winning two world titles, and, after returning to WWE, became a Grand Slam Champion while winning two more world titles.
- He was also the Jannetty to the Hardy Boyz, but to a lesser extent than E&C due to their troubled personal lives.
- The Bus Came Back: John Bradshaw Layfield brought him back with Viscera during JBL's feud with the Undertaker.
- Again, for the "Raw 15th Anniversary Battle Royal," on the December 10, 2007 episode
- Cool Shades
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Wore one around his neck (or sometimes it was an ankh), and his entrances added these.
- Cute Little Fangs: Those things are sharp (and real), and make him even more like a vampire.
- Dark Messiah: Or as much as we can get from him.
- Demoted to Extra/Jobber: After the Hardys split from him.
- Facial Markings: As Vampire Warrior.
- Finishing Move: Implant DDT (sometimes called The Impaler).
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: And we're using the term "friendly" loosely.
- Glass Cannon: He's very powerful, and can do a great variety of suplexes for someone his size. Unfortunately, he admits that constantly getting hurt kept him from going anywhere in the WWF.
- Homage: According to Edge's biography, his gimmick was based on The Lost Boys at the time.
- I Have Many Names: He's also been the Black Phantom, the Warlock and Lestat the Vampire.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Zigzagged. Gangrel's entrance video was mainly his name and cross logo against a red background that sometimes shifted to gray.
- Light Is Not Good: Maybe. He always wore white when leading the Brood, but, apart from their time in the Ministry, their face-heel alignment was never properly defined.
- Man Bites Man: Vampire Warrior did this in the USWA.
- Noodle Incident: Can anyone get him to ask what his relationship with Edge and Christian were back when they were in the Brood?
- According to the man himself, they were never let in on what was supposed to be going on with their characters, so they just went out and did what they were told.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: He's got a great moveset, had one of the best entrances and gimmicks in the WWF and many multiple chances to get the Intercontinental Championship, but he just never got there. (See Screwed By The Network on the Trivia page.)
- Parts Unknown: "The Other Side of Darkness"
- Power Stable:
- (in Florida indies): The Army of Darkness (the 1990s version led by Abudadein).
- (in ECW): Raven's Nest. (Luna had sided with Raven's nemesis Tommy Dreamer.)
- (in WWE): The Brood, the Ministry of Darkness and the New Brood
- (in USA Pro): The Dungeon of Doom
- The Quiet One: Except for an interview or two, this guy is silent. While working as Vampire Warrior in MXPW in 2003, an interviewer approached him and he said, "I don't do interviews."
- He completely averted this in this clip, where he is dressed in street clothes and talks like a regular person.
- Real Song Theme Tune: Metallica's "Holier Than Thou" in ECW.
- Red Baron: His Vampire Warrior name becomes this on the indies where he's allowed to use both names.
- Tag Team: The Black Harts.
- Take That: One of the Brood's T-shirts featured the question, "Why Suck It When You Can Bite It?"
- Vampire Vannabe: Subverted. He is a vampire, but all the commentators kept saying he lived a "Gothic Lifestyle".
- White Wolf Owns This Name: The name Gangrel comes from Vampire: The Masquerade.
- A wrestler is a very unlikely profession for a Gangrel. A Brujah, on the other hand...
- His leadership/mentoring role in the Brood justifies the name.
- Weakened by the Light: Subverted, sunlight is just a minor annoyance to Gangrel.
- Wrestling Family: Was married to Luna Vachon.