Born Gertrude Elizabeth Vachon
, Luna Vachon
(1962-2010) was a Canadian
-American Professional Wrestler
and manager originally from Atlanta
, Georgia. She started training at the age of 16 with her aunt Vivian and the Fabulous Moolah before going to Florida and launching her career in 1985. Her first on-screen role was as a "reporter" named Trudy Herd who was there to interview Kevin Sullivan
. Sullivan instead turned her into "Luna" as a member of his Cult
the Army of Darkness, giving her the Improbable Hairstyle
described below and her harsh voice. Luna was teamed with the Lock, formerly Winona Littleheart, as the Daughters of Darkness. When that team broke up, she started working several independents as the manager of the Black Harts, Apocalypse (David "Vampire Warrior"/"Gangrel" Heath
) and Destruction (Tom Nash.) She made her PPV debut in the Street Fight Lingerie Battle Royal put on by former GLOW
and then-POWW promoter David McClane at AWA SuperClash III
. She made her surprise WWE
debut in Shawn Michaels
' corner for his match with Tatanka
at WrestleMania IX
, and would go on to feud with Sherri before switching her allegiance to Bam Bam Bigelow
. They would feud with the face version of Doink the Clown
in 1994 before Luna started chasing WWE Women's Champion Alundra Blayze
before leaving. She made her surprise ECW
debut at the end of ECW Enter Sandman
, May 13th, 1995, siding with Tommy Dreamer
in his feud with Raven
. They would team up against Raven and Stevie Richards
to unsuccessfully challenge for the ECW World Tag Team Titles
at ECW Hardcore Heaven
on July 1st, though Luna would defeat Richards in a cage match two weeks later at Heat Wave.
She resurfaced in WWE as the heel-turned "The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
's manager on the November 24, 1997 Raw,
which led indirectly to her big feud with Sable
, as TAFKA Goldust and Marc Mero had done a Villain Team-Up
against the Headbangers. Luna disappeared for a short time but, on the May 25th (taped May 19th), 1998, Raw
, she redebuted as "Princess Luna" of the Oddities. While the Oddities' later face turn seemed to benefit her, her issues with Sable were stirred up again because Luna wanted the revived WWE Women's Title and she went heel again, breaking away from the group. Even after Sable was pushed out the door, Luna never got the title and she ultimately left once and for all in 2000. Sadly, she was found dead of a drug overdose after years of suffering with Bipolar Disorder
on August 27, 2010. Among her in-ring achievements, she was a 1x USWA Women's Champion
and the inaugural AWF Women's Champion
. She was inducted into the WSU
Hall of Fame in 2011.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- Anti-Villain In her feud with Sable.
- Arch-Enemy: Sensational Sherri when she first debuted, and later Sable, who she blamed for enforcing society's idea of what an ideal woman should look like.
- Madusa/Alundra Blayze, combining Memphis, WWE and WCW.
- Jacqueline in Memphis
- Raven and Stevie Richards in ECW.
- Doink and Dink.
- Ax-Crazy/Crazy Awesome: She really seemed to delight in watching the wrestlers she managed hurt people, even if they were people who would do no good for their careers to hurt or people whom Luna did not even know. But she especially loved it when they hurt her enemies.
- Badass: Along with Jacqueline, one of the first women who could believably hold her own against male wrestlers.
- Bash Brothers and Sisters: The Lock, the Black Harts, Tommy Dreamer, Bam Bam Bigelow, TAFKA Goldust
- Battle Axe Nurse: Disguised herself as a nurse to trick Big Van Vader for The Artists Formerly Known As Goldust
- Beauty Contest: Kurrgan, dressed in a suit, sang the "Miss America" song for her on the June 8, 1998 Raw.
- Bitch Alert: Did this herself, saying "The bitch is back!" when she made her return as Goldust's new manager on the November 24, 1997 Raw.
- Braids of Action: Upon her return to the WWF in 1997
- Breakup Breakout: From the Daughters of Darkness.
- Cheap Heat: Her challenging Sable to an Evening Gown Match at Backlash 1998, and the subsequent match itself, got the fans very much on her side, if only for one night, for obvious reasons. Still, it's better than X-Pac Heat, or no heat at all.
- Chewing the Scenery: Went very over-the-top in her promos.
- Circus of Fear: The Oddities' original Heel carnival sideshow gimmick.
- Dark Action Girl: Jim Cornette called her the devil in disguise, and she's beaten him in matches too... so that's not much of an achievement but still.
- Downer Ending: Her suicide at the age of 48.
- Facial Markings: Which looked like veins
- Faux Action Girl: Against Sable, sadly. (Sable had too much plastic surgery to where she couldn't get roughed up by anybody.)
- Freaky Is Cool: In her first promo after her ECW debut, she said, "I've always been a misfit! I've never fit into your holes!"
- Groin Attack: Defeated Stevie Richards in their cage match by making him submit to a testicular claw.
- Guttural Growler: She always spoke like this.
- High School Dance: The Jackyl called her "The Prom Princess of the World Wrestling Federation" when she, Golga and the Giant Silva walked down to the ring for the Oddities' debut on the May 25 (taped May 19), 1998 Raw, adding how her "inner beauty" transcends the attributes of "a Sunny or a Sable."
- I Have the High Ground: Her main Finishing Moves, the Luna Bomb and the Luna Eclipse, were top rope splashes.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Hair down to her hips, but shaved off on the sides of her head.
- Improbable Weapon User: Hit Sherri with a TV monitor on the April 12, 1993 Raw.
- Informed Attribute: She certainly didn't look like most divas, but was hardly the ugly monster they made her out to be.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Taken Up to Eleven. Watch any promo and then note that she was one of the most, if not, the most accessible and friendly WWF Divas, although she was never actually promoted as one, and very popular with fans at conventions and public appearances.
- Meaningful Name: She's crazy, and her name is LUNA.
- Parts Unknown: "The Other Side of Darkness"
- Averted at Backlash 1998. Because she was associated with Goldust at the time, she was announced for her Evening Gown Match with Sable from Hollywood, CA.
- Perky Female Minion: To Bull Nakano, The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust and the Oddities, though she was more like a manager and in the former case, Bull Nakano was usually the perkier.
- Power Stable:
- Real Song Theme Tune: in ECW:
- Metallica's "Enter Sandman"
- Lenny Kravitz' "Are You Gonna Go My Way"
- Religious Bruiser: Became a born-again Christian and was baptized by none other than Nikita Koloff.
- Squash Match: Flattened the debuting "Gillberg" on the January 11, 1999 Raw in a brisk 1:04.
- Tag Team: Satan's Sisters with Biker Chick Prime Time Amy Lee.
- The Rival: Vanessa Harding, who had a hard time getting over a loss to Luna
- Unstoppable Rage: In her first promo after her ECW debut, she asked rhetorically if there was anything as compelling as rage and said, "Wake up Crow Man! My rage will be your horror show!"
- Video Full Of Film Clips: The Oddities' entrance video mixed footage of the team with clips from the 1932 horror classic Freaks, even starting with the lines, "We wouldn't lie to you folks, we told you we had living breathing monstrosity."
- Wrestling Family: The adopted daughter of Butcher Vachon and adopted niece of Mad Dog and Vivian Vachon.