Shannon Claire Spruill
(b. 1975) is an American Professional Wrestler
, manager/valet and announcer from Atlanta
, GA best known for her work in WCW
and other promotions as Daffney Unger.
She has also worked for WSU
, Pro Wrestling Guerilla
(as Shark Girl
), and Wrestlicious
Before adopting her now-famous Harley Quinn
gimmick, she debuted in November 1999 as David Flair's "manager". —Actually a crazy townie who was fanatically devoted to him, often barging into the ring herself.
The two would team up with Crowbar (Devon Storm)
and David and Crowbar would have a short run with the WCW World Tag Team Titles in January 2000. Daffney herself would hold the Cruiserweight Title, making her the second woman, after Madusa
, to do so.
Daffney and Crowbar would stay with WCW to the bitter end but WWE
did not pick up their contracts. Daffney would work for Ring of Honor
and signed a developmental deal with WWE in 2003 and was assigned to OVW but she was released before she ever made it to WWE TV. She briefly retired and concentrated on acting until she returned to wrestling in 2006, working the independent circuit. On June 3, 2006, she defeated El Mexicano for the NWA
Wrestle Birmingham Junior Heavyweight Title, making it the second men's title she had held in her career.
She also had a career revival as a TNA
Knockout; first as a short-lived Sarah Palin
parody called The Governor
, then reverting to Daffney once her split personality was ousted in the ring
. Sadly, it's looking like she may never wrestle again due to concussions and other injuries suffered in TNA.
She debuted for SHIMMER
in 2007 as a manager, though she briefly competed under her Shark Girl persona. Starting in 2012, she would work as a hostess for SHIMMER's sister promotion SHINE Wrestling before returning to managing again.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
tRopeS rELateD 2 daFFneY
- A Goth Goddess Am I: It's one of her Red Barons.
- All-Loving Hero: According to an interview at Glory, Daffney loves everyone. No effort to hide her history of anger fueled retaliatory violence was made when saying this and she looks back at being put in Ric Flair's figure four leg lock fondly. The only negative feelings Daffney spoke of regarded a falls count anywhere loss to Rachel Summerlyn, whom she still does not regard as an enemy.
- And Your Little Dog Too: She was not content to physically injure Tara but also wanted to consume her beloved tarantula, poison. Daffney was not successful in either endeavor but her antics lead to Tara losing the TNA knockouts title in a screwy fashion anyway.
- Arch-Enemy: Ms. Hancock (Stacy Keibler) and her almost father-in-law Ric Flair, Torrie Wilson and Shane Douglas, Rachel Summerlyn, The Beautiful People (after they were suckered in with promises of joining The Governor's "cabinet"), ODB, and Abyss.
- Ass Kicks You
- As mentioned below, Lucy Furr took Amber O'Neal's booty popping stink face. She even wore a set of tights with holes in the fabric around the butt cheeks.
- Daff took the biggest bump of her career when she got flattened by 300 lb Rosie Lottalove (now the formerly fat Betsy Ruth), which landed her in the hospital. Did we mention this occurred on tryouts? During a dark match to boot?
- Ax-Crazy: Daffney's always crazy but her TNA run really brought the ax into the equation, as she became really violent, spitefully violent. It was apparent even during her lock box challenge "strip tease"...which made the whole thing even more uncomfortable. Dr. Stevie's efforts to cure her just seemed to be making her worse.
- The Baroness: Vacillates between Type 1 and 2.
- She provided more fan service in WCW than she would in later promotions, most notably when she competed in a Wedding gown match against Ms Hancock. In TNA she initially appeared in a fanservice battle royal, but was played up as a homely freak once the company decided to give her a lasting on-screen presence. All the same, Tazz found her "zombie hot".
- Lucy provided a whole lot of fan service in Women's Extreme Wrestling(naturally) but not quite as much in Ring of Honor.
- Bash Brothers and Sisters: David Flair, Crowbar, Ace Steel, Traci Brooks, Colt Cabana, Velvet Sky (sometimes), Raven, Dr. Stevie (Richards)
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: On the frequent receiving end of the trope's aversion. In particular, her TNA feud with Taylor Wilde revolved around Daffney's efforts to cut and maim her only to see them backfire. More dramatically still, Daffney received a concussion when Abyss put her through a barbed wire board.
- Big Damn Heroes: The Scream Queens saving Alexa Thatcher from Alicia, who decided to break her foot on SHIMMER Volume 13.
- Bilingual Bonus: The Hindi tattoo on her hand which reads "Samadhi", meaning "dead body."
- Bow Ties Are Cool: Frequently wears these or has images of them on her clothing, though she's fond of longer neckties too. Both were among the new additions to Nikki Roxx's attire when Daffney decided she wanted to put a squad together and Daffney also has necklaces pattern after both styles of tie.
- Break the Cutie/Butt Monkey: Both in kayfabe and real life. Daffney was generally considered one of the unluckier wrestlers in TNA's Knockouts Division. Most of her injuries occurred in non-televised matches as the network didn't allow any depictions of man-on-female violence. During the Lockbox Challenge in which the wrestlers competed in a lottery for the Title, Daffney crapped out and opened the box requiring her to striptease. And, as the "ugly" Knockout of the bunch, she rarely got booked despite grossing high ratings during her appearances on iMPACT.
- The Bus Came Back: After the Daytona fiasco, Daffney was kayfabe sentenced to a mental ward for five years. Upon her release, she kicked around as a "thespian" for a while (blurring the line between Spruill and her character) before she lost the plot again and became Palin.
- Butt Biter: During their SHIMMER encounter, Shark Girl saved herself from Amber O'Neal's booty popping stink face the only way she knew how: by biting down, leaving Amber to run around with Shark Girl stuck to her backside.
- Cleavage Window: While she has worn these outfits, it is usually subverted since they have tinted screens. Between yellow, red, blue and purple, only the grey tint is really see through at ringside, much less for the viewers at home. Then again, the grey tinted window is also the largest window by a wide margin...
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She preps her squad for battle by going in circles on a push scooter.
- Contortionist: Enters the ring via a split. This does not bode well for a clean pin.
- Lampshaded by commentator Don West after witnessing all the submission moves that failed to put her away. Even Amber O'Neal, who likes to show off by doing the splits, was taken aback by Daffney's rubber limbs.
- Cool Hat: A miniature top hat, tilted of course. She wore a big red hat that almost covered her face when hosting SHINE.
- Costume Porn: If Daff sticks out like a sore thumb on Impact (and she does), it's because Unger is known for sewing entrance attire and designing all sorts of ring gear and fashions for herself. This was dialed up in SHINE, where Daffney formed her own squad. Tiny tilted top hats for everyone!
- Cute But Psycho: In TNA to the extreme. Her sessions with Dr. Stevie were very creepy for someone so clearly at peace with the belief that she could never be fixed. Don West described her as being crazy enough to attract him but also crazy enough to make him want to run the hell away.
- Damsel in Distress: The nWo needed to made a point to David Flair (this was before Ms. Hancock entered the picture), so they dragged a kicking and flailing Daffney backstage to show they meant business. Even Steiner seemed skeptical that David would even want to get her back.
Y'know it's one thing about you Flairs, you've always surrounded yourselves with ugly women. This bitch is uglier than your mother. Tony Schiavone:
(on commentary) And she's still
laughing, look at this! She's nuts.
- Demoted to Extra: In TNA she went from a prominence in the midcard to repeatedly jobbing on the B Show
- Distaff Counterpart: (as Shark Girl): To Shark Boy, of course.
- Eerie Paleskinned Brunette: Especially when Draculetta was with White Magic
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Her dance, the "Daffasaurus Rex"
- Evil Counterpart
- Soul stealing Lucy Furr was an evil counterpart to the guardian Heaven Sent and the "good example" Angel Williams (However, Williams wasn't always so good).
- CM Punk, in a case of ironic names, intended Lucy to be the good counterpart to Trinity, whom Raven had sicked on him, asking her to conform to the morals of the Second City Saints and respect the code of honor.
- Daffney was basically the good counterpart in SHINE to Portia Perez in SHIMMER, the Cuckoolander Commentator to Portia's Bias Steamroller, the one who just wanted veterans to be respected in contrast to Portia, who had no respect for "rookies". Daffney eventually became the good counterpart to April Hunter when Daffney decided to go back to managing, partially in response to the disrespect shown to her by the wrestlers Hunter managed.
- Has cited Harley Quinn as an inspiration for her original gimmick, she even has a green version of Harley Quinn' outfit from Batman: The Animated Series, minus the jester hat, as Daffney has her own headgear preferences.
- WCW envisioned her gimmick as something closer to Mallory Knox (Juliette Lewis), Mickey's accomplice in Natural Born Killers. Unger said that Harley was her main influence from the start.
- A bit of Heath's "dog chasing cars" speech made it into the promo she cut for Hamada.
- Fighting Your Friend: She and Crowbar started out as "co-champions" to the cruiserweight championship and when wrestling each other to determine who would be the true title holder, neither really wanted to hurt the other.
- Finishing Move
- Frankenscreamer, Lobotomy (Bridging Swinging Fisherman Suplex), Daff Knees (Single knee facebreaker)
- Lucy's was an Enzuigiri
- The Governor's was a swinging fisherman's suplex called Thrilla From Wasilla
- Shark Girl's is the Chummer
- Foreshadowing: Among other things, Kimberly's loving lunge to Daffney and Daffney's warning not to mess with Su Yung during SHINE's early days. Kimberly's face turn was completed when she sought membership in Daffney's Squad while Sweet Saraya seemingly took that warning as an opportunity, provoking Yung's heel turn and leading her into Valkyrie.
- Fun with Acronyms: Daffney's All-Star Squad
- Funny T Shirt: In WCW, Daffney wore spaghetti tops with crudely-ironed slogans to appear even younger. Among them were "I ♥ DAVID", "Hunger for Unger", "WALL SUCKS" Flair's Flare", and "DAVID 4 PREZ"
- Girlish Pigtails: Shark Girl always, Daffney sometimes.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Considers Lexie Fyfe a true sister and Nikki Roxx the other half of her brain. Alternatively refers to MsChif as "my better half" and "my twin".
- Honey Trap: If we're being honest, macking on strange girls in Dr. Stevie's waiting room isn't the brightest idea Kevin Nash ever had.
- Horned Humanoid: Lucy Furr had red horn, but only in promo videos and photo shoots, not in matches.
- I Have Many Names: During TNA's early years, she made a one off appearance as "Shannon". Better known names include Daffney, Shark Girl, Draculetta, The Governor and Lucy Furr (WEW, ROH).
- Improvised Weapon: In a bit of foreshadowing, Daffney beat down Tara with a tool box. Later in a first blood match between the two, Tara won by hitting Daffney with a toolbox. This lead to the "lock box" challenge.
- Ineffectual Death Threats: Vince Russo tried to punish Miss Elizabeth by putting her in a match with Daffney, who came out wearing a shirt which read "Liz Will Die". Daffney did not get any offense in the resulting "match".
- Looks Like Cesare: After briefly reverting to her old look on TNA, a ring rat with goofy shirts, she resurfaced with corpse makeup and a Gothic Lolita wardrobe.
- Mad Love: For David Flair, who was a few fries short of a Happy Meal himself.
- Master-Apprentice Chain: Considering Daffney has gotten training from Crowbar, Leilani Kai, Dusty Rhodes, Gregory Helms, Malia Hosaka, Madusa and Molly Holly, among others, such was the nature of WCW, it's no surprise she's been a part of several. Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker-Slaughter-Daffney Unger was just one chain in WCW itself. It is discussed by Malia Hosaka in SHINE, in regards to Daffney guiding the Buddy System.
- Military Brat: Born on a German military base.
- Misplaced Retribution
- Daffney attacked Taylor Wilde for the Beautiful People sticking her head in a paper bag in retaliation for her "governor" prank.
- Daffney would go after MsChif for abandoning her while she was injured, even though they were in different companies when it happened.
- Murderous Thighs: Her Finishing Move for a long time was the Frankenscreamer.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: As "The Governor"
- Obnoxious Snarker: While not performing angry and not screaming, Daffney tends to whine, taunt or brag about herself in an animated manner with a tone of voice far removed from what she uses in her promos.
- Of Corsets Sexy: At SHINE 3 and 5.
- Older Than They Look: She's nearing 40 but looks about 20 with the Goth makeup. She even impersonated Sarah Palin in TNA and did a very convincing job of it. Here's Daffney with the makeup◊, without it◊, and as Sarah Palin◊
- Ominous Fog: Part of Draculetta's entrance
- Only One Name: Somewhere along the line, the name "Unger" disappeared and she became known only as "Daffney." Her last name is still remembered, as evidenced by Daffney Unger's online accounts, but is no longer used at shows.
- Opposed Mentors: Indirectly with Ivelisse Vélez in SHINE, since Amazing Kong is the squad member who primarily faces Valkyrie but Daffney is the leader and Velez the heir apparent of two opposed power stables and both are mentors of Solo Darling.
- Parts Unknown: A few times in her career.
- Shark Girl was from "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"
- As Daffney, she was billed for a time from "Sybil, Texas"
- Lucy Furr was billed from "The Erotic Heavens" (as oppose to the "Canadian Heavens" Angel Williams was billed from). "The Eight Circle Of Hell" after her Heel-Face Turn. (Apparently that heaven was worse than hell.)
- As The Governor: "Unknown Parts of Alaska", a clue that Daffney has no idea what the state capital is.
- Perky Goth: The dark version.
- Perky Female Minion
- Sometimes Daffney is worried by her behavior, more often she is amused by it but Daffney's always more gleeful and enthusiastic when paired with MsChif. She also served in this role to Crowbar in WCW, CM Punk and Chris Hero in Ring of Honor and Aaron "The Idol" Stevens in OVW.
- She finds her own in SHINE, Solo Darling, who has even taken up the mantel of Shark Girl.
- Pink Means Feminine: As Shark Girl, she wore a pink mask to Shark Boy's blue.
- Power Stable:
- Power Trio
- New Hardcore Revolution with David Flair and Crowbar
- Out of the larger squad, Daffney manages The Buddy System, Solo Darling and Heidi Lovelace.
- Product Placement: One of her moves is called "Leggo My Eggos".
- Put on a Bus: Due to filing a worker's compensation complaint against TNA.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She tried to be in SHINE anyway, even though her main duty was hosting. The antics of Mercedes Martinez seem to have made her give up.
- Retired Badass: Emphasis on retired, as it has made her a target for ridicule from Radiant Rain, Mercedes Martinez and The SNS Express. "Sweet" Saraya seemingly had more sinister designs, making a b-line for Daffney after taking down the Buddy System with Rhia O'Reilly and Mayumi Ozaki. But Daffney demonstrated not being able to wrestle is not the same as being defenseless...
- Revenge by Proxy: She attacked Taylor Wilde's sorority sister and TNA backstage interviewer Lauren just because she was someone Taylor Wilde cared about.
- Screaming Warrior: Once her WCW music hit, and incessantly after that. As a Knockout, Daffney put viewers on the back foot by remaining mute up until she got to the ring, then rolling to her knees and SHRIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!
- She even raised it to Make Me Wanna Shout level at WCW Spring Stampede 2000. During the six-way WCW World Cruiserweight Title match involving Shannon Moore, Crowbar, Chris Candido, Juventud Guerrera, Prince Iaukeanote and Lash LeRoux, where she was seconding Crowbar, Juvy ran after her and she held him off by SCREAMING!
- One of her nicknames is "The Scream Queen." At Alternative Wrestling Show Summer Heat 2013, The Scream Queens took turns vocally "battering" Candice LaRae until the referee, also having to endure their noise, ejected Daffney.
- Has borrowed moves from Malia Hosaka (spin kick out of the corner), Lexie Fyfe (side walk slam) and Lance Storm (rolling through to single leg Boston Crab).
- Billed for a time from "Badstreet, Atlanta, GA," a la the Fabulous Freebirds.
- She wore a green wig on the December 20, 2000 episode of WCW Thunder. In her and Crowbar's pre-match interview with "Mean" Gene Okerlund, she said, "It's not easy being green, Gene."
- Signature Move
- Lucy used Marshmallow Hell (fallen angel, geddit?) and a double leg cradle.
- Shark Girl's are the Hangman's neckbreaker, knee lift, Thez Press and a lot of biting.
- Draculetta's are a European uppercut, running turnbuckle butt smash and a Sleeper hold
- Spiritual Successor: To Luna Vachon.
- Stock Phrases: One set of her ring gear includes a shirt which reads "I scream" and pants depicting skulls on top of ice cream cones.
- Tagline: At the start of her WCW run, she wore T-shirts that read "HUNGER FOR UNGER."
- Tag Team: "The Scream Queens" with the banshee MsChif. Also, Shark Boy with when she is Shark Girl. Also "Ghouls Gone Wild" with White Magic (Better known as the Lovely Lacey) when she was Draculetta in Wrestlicious (they were alternatively known as Team Beast, in direct contrast to Lacey Von Erich and Amber Lively who were Team Beautiful).
- Team Mom: To the Buddy System, particularly Solo Darling, whom she refers to as "my" and lays down ground rules for. Breaking these ground rules had lead to most of the Buddy System's success though.
- The Ophelia: In WCW and if the fans reactions are any indication, Remix Pro Wrestling as well. Psychosis was apparently part of her charm.
- The Stoic: Shark girl does vocalize but does not speak.
- Tournament Arc: Knocked off Rachel Summerlyn in the first round of the 2010 Anarchy Championship Wrestling "Queen of Queens" taking her ACW American Joshi title belt in the process. Jessica James would go on to beat Daffney in the semifinals, meaning she wouldn't even hold the belt a whole day.
- Treacherous Advisor: To Rachel Summerlyn in SHIMMER, and if Daffney's own words are to believed, a bit of a sabotutor too. Daffney would later try to "make up" for doing such a terrible job at teaching Summerlyn how to wrestle by abandoning her to the International Home Wrecking Crew and then giving her personal on the job training.
- Three Month Rule: TNA tried to treat the Daffney persona as something new, despite its frequent mining of WCW plot lines. A lot of viewers probably were surprised to see she was the governor all the same. They did make an effort to explain Daffney's past and eventually added to the "mythos" so to speak when Dr. Stevie showed up though.
- Unstoppable Rage: Do not piss Daffney off, she will end you.
- Versus Title: The "fins" half of the CWA Pro Skirts vs. Fins events referred to Shark Girl and Shark Boy. The skirts were Awesome Kong and Gluteus Maximus. Black Pegasus was also involved.
- Woman Bites Woman: Shark Girl's always looking for things to bite. Her victims almost always end up being deserving of it, someway or another.
- Wedding Smashers: As you may imagine, Daffney did not sit idly by when Flair announced his engagement and subsequent live-TV wedding to Ms. Hancock/Stacy Keibler. Daffney arrived at Daytona Beach with her backup (Crowbar) and fought Keibler (w/ David Flair) in a Wedding Gown match. It ended with everyone hurling wedding cake at each other. Just amazing.
- Yandere: Did not take it well when David dumped her for Stacy Keibler.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Or green or whatever color wig she chose to wear on a given night.