"You have a bullet proof fabric and you want to cut a hole in it right over your heart??? Are you insane?"A cut in a woman's top that shows her breast cleavage, whether it's on the top or front side. It doesn't matter the shape or the size, as long as the window is completely enclosed and clearly shows breast cleavage. It also doesn't matter about the rest of the outfit, as this can be on a bathing suit, a sweater, a Leotard of Power, a Mini Dress Of Power, or a grand Pimped-Out Dress. Obviously a form of Fanservice, and likely Author Appeal. Compare Most Common Superpower, Absolute Cleavage (which can overlap if the window drops far enough), Impossibly-Low Neckline, Chainmail Bikini, Naked in Mink, Bare Your Midriff, Male Gaze. See also Form-Fitting Wardrobe, Chest Insignia.
— Sahira, Spinnerette
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Zessica Wong from Aquarion Evol wears a short halterneck crop with a very large opening exposing her cleavage.
- The title heroine's outfit in Cutey Honey is a sleeveless unitard with a huge diamond shaped cutout that even shows off a bit of stomach. In Re: Cutey Honey she wears a halterneck crop top with a heart shaped hole over her cleavage.
- Apple from Red Photon Zillion wears a blouse with a neckline that plunges at least three inches, with a tiny strap for a collar. The result is a teardrop-shaped window that shows a small amount of cleavage.
- Melissa's cleric dress in Rune Soldier Louie has a diamond shaped opening show off her cleavage. Genie's halterneck crop top has two opening, one on top of her cleavage and one on top of her Underboobs.
- The Dirty Pair had these in some of their appearances, when the character design included collars that buttoned up but a large diamond shaped opening exposing their cleavages.
- Tiara of Shamanic Princess, when she's not in her Super Mode sports a heart-shaped cleavage cutout.
- Arf's outfit in the first season of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha had a crop top with a diamond shaped keyhole. There's also Linith, Fate's Parental Substitute before the series started, who wore an outfit that comprised an outer-coat with buttoned collar and buttoned below her chest and dress with a diamond shaped cutout above her cleavage.
- Princess Piña Co Lada in Gate has a window exposing her cleavage in just about all of her outfits, including the armor she wears in battle.
- Ran in One Piece wears a crop top with a window hole in the middle.
- Yin of the Darker Than Black franchise costume contains a mild version of this. She's far from well-endowed but, the combination of her dress and throw create a patch of visible skin.◊
- Mizuho in Please Teacher! could, in her alien outfit, open up a cleavage cutout by will, and did so in her attempt to seduce Kei.
- Ah! My Goddess Belldandy. Yes, Belldandy. It's the only skin showing in that outfit besides her face.
- In the first season of Galaxy Angel, Forte wears a dress with opening showing off most of her chest and Ranpha wears a Chinese inspired dress with a diamond shaped cutout above her cleavage. They were covered up in the second season onward for some reason.
- In one instance of Death Note, model/actress Misa Amane attempts to get Matsuda out of a jam with a roomful of shady businessmen by pretending to want to be a model/spokesperson for them. She is seen with a tank top with a heart-shaped cut that revealed her cleavage
- Medaka's student council outfit in Medaka Box has a huge opening on the chest area that shows off a lot of cleavage.
- Amusingly, it becomes a major plot point because it violates the dress code.
- Isabella from Beelzebub has a small opening in the chest area of her maid uniform.
- Ms. Fanservice Haruka Gracia from Basquash! wears dress with a large cleavage cutout.
- A number of Robes in Mai-Otome cover their wearers from head-to-toe but leave opening to show off cleavage, mainly Maria's, Fiar's, Chie's second Robe, and Mai's. Akane's Robe just has it: only a little bit of fabric keeps it from Impossibly-Low Neckline. Oddly, Haruka's (for lack of a better term) off-duty uniform has a diamond shaped cleavage cutout, but not her Robe, as is the case with Una Shamrock in Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~.
- In The Seven Deadly Sins Diane has one of these on her Leotard of Power, while Jericho wears an armor with a hole on the front that shows part of her breasts and bra.
- In the anime Kill la Kill, Satsuki's Kamui Junketsu in its armor form has an opening that shows off her cleavage.
- Many of Power Girl's costumes have openings that exposes her cleavage (one of which is the trope picture). There are a number of issues where Power Girl explains the rationale behind it but the reason seems to change every time. It serves as distraction, it shows that she's proud of her body, and she can't decide on a Chest Insignia.
- Averted with the New 52 relaunch. Power Girl now wears a bodysuit that fully covers her◊. However, in one issue her costume gets tears after a fight, one of those tears is a hole above her cleavage.◊
- She eventually gets her iconic, plays-this-trope-straight, costume back after about a year.
- One popular fan theory is that the window actually is a sort of Chest Insignia. If you look at it the right way it resembles an IEC POWER symbol.
- Averted with the New 52 relaunch. Power Girl now wears a bodysuit that fully covers her◊. However, in one issue her costume gets tears after a fight, one of those tears is a hole above her cleavage.◊
- Phantom Lady in 1946 had one of the first ones with her costume which was a mini dress with a plunging neckline and cape wrapped around her neck. Most of the other costumes merely had an Impossibly-Low Neckline.
- Invisible Woman of Fantastic Four had one, shaped like the figure 4, in her Stripperiffic 1990s outfit. On more than one occasion has it been pointed out the physical improbability of maintaining the appearance of a number 4 in such a manner.
- Rocket's first costume is a full bodysuit and a jacket covered her from head-to-toe but the bodysuit had a cleavage cutout, to Icon's vague disapproval. Her second costume, which Icon designed, eschewed this.
- Taken to its extreme in Transmetropolitan #24. Channon Yarrow(an ex-stripper) wears a backless, strapless dress with an Impossibly-Low Neckline, sides slit to the hips, thigh-to-knee diagonal hemlines(opposing angles front and back), armpit length gloves, and no less than ten triangular windows; three on the outside of each glove, one on each side of her waist, one exposing her bellybutton, and one fully exposing her left nipple. She wears the triangle of fabric as a necklace.
- Ra's al Ghul's daughter Talia often wears a gown with a cleavage window in the Batman comics.
- In Grendel, Christine Spar's street clothing often has cleavage windows, although her costume as Grendel doesn't.
- Emma Frost's Phoenix Five costume in Avengers vs. X-Men has an enclosed opening on the top portion right above her cleavage.
- Kimura, X-23's Arch-Nemesis, often wears bodysuits with cutouts above her breasts.
- Evangelion 303: In chapter 16 Rei slowly starts to emerge out of her shell and tries different things, including to wear a dress with a circle-shaped cut above her breasts. Here's a preview.
- Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton: During her Power Girl phase, Asuka's costume had a very large cleavage and a cord stretching across her neck, shaping a triangular cutout above her breasts.
- In late 2014, Japan introduced a new fashion trend consisting of a cleavage window inside a turtleneck sweater. A result of combining the sexiness this trope with the sexiness of Sweater Girl, and the impractical use of wearing a sweater in cold weather that exposes your breasts to the cold resulted in the internet turning it into a meme almost immediately. just look at what the users on Pixiv has created from it.
- In "Christmas in Kansas", part of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Hearts series, there's a conversation about superhero costume design, and Diana jokingly suggests that what Batman's suit is lacking is a bat-shaped cleavage window.
- Queen Tara from Epic wears a green dress with a huge opening in the chest area◊.
- Attorney General "Fun Bags" in Idiocracy wears a dress with a teardrop shaped opening showing off her cleavage.
- In The Wheel of Time Ebou Dari dresses are described as having an oval cut out exposing the inner slopes of the wearer's bosom. On married local women, this is to frame the marriage knife, who's hilt nestles between the breasts.
- For the Forgotten Realms novel Azure Bonds, the protagonist Alias is depicted in Clyde Caldwell's cover art◊ wearing chain mail armour with a large gap between her breasts. In the novel she is described as wearing this outfit unwillingly and only in the closing chapters, with the narrator calling it "showy, but impractical".
Foxy: Uhh... Doesn't that armor get drafty sometimes?
- This has been handwaved as either ceremonial armour, or to allow those controlling her through the eponymous azure bonds to kill her easily if she showed signs of rebellion. The image has been used throughout Dungeons & Dragons media and the spin-off computer game, Curse of the Azure Bonds.
- In the game modules, the armor is enchanted and either extends mystic protection to the open area, or the armor protecting her chest is invisible.
- A later novel in the series finally offered an explanation, saying that the armor was made by a vain sorceress who wanted to show off the goods, and did add a protection spell covering the "window" to keep it from being a liability.
- The entire thing was lampshaded when Alias guest-starred in the Forgotten Realms comic book in 1989, and the halfling Foxilon Cardluck had the following exchange with her:
Alias: It's enchanted.
Foxy: (under his breath) Oh, I'll just bet it is.
- Game of Thrones: At least one of Daenerys' Meereenese gowns.
- Star Trek
- From Star Trek: The Next Generation onward, the female Klingons are wearing outfits similar to their male counterparts, except with a cleavage-baring opening on the chest armor. Probably has something to do with the whole Space Viking motif. This is particularly silly, considering that Klingons attack each other with bladed weapons all the time. Even considering that Klingons have not one but two hearts.
- Captain Liberty of The Tick has a star-shaped cutout on the chest of her leotard. (As this shape produces unsupported upwards-pointing "spikes" of fabric, and spraying them with glue isn't sufficient to guarantee they won't come loose, the costumer opted to sew them to flesh-colored foam cleavage. The same is recommended for cosplayers.)
- In season 2 of Babylon 5, Delenn experiments by exchanging her usual robes for a slinky black dress with a diamond-shaped opening over her cleavage. Everyone who sees her is stunned speechless.
- The window is a not-uncommon part of Earth women's fashion - usually a high closed collar over a low neckline, creating the window. "Number One" (the head of the Mars Resistance) is one of the most notable bearers of such, wearing it in all her appearances.
- Alexia from Pixelface has a bodysuit with a pentagon shaped cleavage cutout.
- Pam from True Blood frequently boosts her cleavage with a corset, but only when she's in action mode do we not see this vampire bartender presenting a cleavage window.
- Ingrid the Snow Queen in Once Upon a Time sports a big window in her sparkly white dress that doesn't leave much to the imagination.
- The female warriors of Laser War wear breast-separating jumpsuits that leave their centers exposed.
- Before she became Molly Holly in WWE, WCW wrestler Mona used to wrestle in a Mini Dress Of Power with a triangle shaped window.
- Subverted by Daffney Unger, who had screens over her cleavage window outfits. Tinted screens.note .
- Su Yung has worn a shirt with slits in it. Depending on how she moves and or the camera angle, her belly or her boobs become visible.
- Leslie's crop top in Arc Rise Fantasia has multiple openings in the center, two of which show off her cleavage and Underboobs.
- Bayonetta's default outfit has a large circular boob window. This is also where she wears her umbran watch.
- Maya in Borderlands 2 has a small one. It's less noticeable than most on this list, partly because of her proportions and partly because of her default color scheme.
- Fiona from Tales from the Borderlands has an opening in her shirt in the shape of a tie.
- Orlha in Chrono Cross has mini dress with large diamond cutout in the center that shows off cleavage and some stomach.
- In Conduit 2, Andromeda's full-body armor covers everything except her face and the tops of her breasts.
- Hsien-Ko from Darkstalkers wears an overtunic with a large oval shaped chest opening.
- Both the Vampire Armor and Royal Vampire Armor from Dawnguard have cleavage windows that conveniently only exist when worn by female characters.
- With some exceptions, almost every "Harness"-type body armor in Final Fantasy XI will have enclosing chest opening for both females and males. The defensive value of a Cleavage Window is hotly contested.
- Jihl Nabaat from Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 has an impressive cleavage window to go with her Baroness and Hot Librarian look. It's also where adornments such as dolls get placed when she is recruited as a Mon in XIII-2. In the sequels there's also Paddra Nsu-Yeul who has an open slit on the front of her top running from her chest down to her stomach.
- In the character art and battle models for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Chalis's dress has a heart cutout over her navel. In her super-deformed noncombat model, the cutout is a little higher up.
- Jean Grey's Phoenix Five costume in Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- One of the default NPC outfits◊ in Mass Effect is a long dress with an enclosed oval shaped chest area.
- Matriarch Benezia has an impressive one which the camera makes sure to give you a close-up of when she's first seen on screen.
- In the first Master of Orion game, the Mrrshan ambassador has an halterneck outfit with a large keyhole in the front.
- Neptunia has Neptune and Noire in their HDD forms wearing leotards with openings in the chest area.
- Cave from mk-2 has a Cleavage Window as well with her Deathsmiles-esque attire.
- Inphyy's armor in Ninety-Nine Nights has a opening in the chest area that shows off her cleavage
- In Ōkami, the first form/clothing set of Wood Sprite Sakuya, who is a peach tree spirit, has two Cleavage Windows. The first one is a diamond shaped cutout showing off her cleavage. The second ones bares her buttocks, to go even further then the first one in using her figure to remind a viewer of her connection to peaches.
- Fina's dress in Skies of Arcadia has a triangle shaped cutout in the chest area. It also has the distinction of a purpose outside of fanservice: the exposed skin is where Fina's shard of the Silver Moon Crystal appears.
- In Sonic Heroes, Rouge wears a bodysuit with an enclosed opening that shows off her cleavage.
- Harold Berselius in Tales of Destiny 2 wears a jacket that sports a triangular one just over her corset.
- Norma in Tales of Legendia wears mini dress with a diamond shaped cutout at the center. She's also the least-endowed of the Legendia girls.
- In Tales of Symphonia, Martel has a triangle shaped cleavage cutout in the flashback scenes, although it's hard to catch. It's a lot more noticeable in The Anime of the Game.
- World of Warcraft features several chest armors for females with a Cleavage Window. One example is the Riverblade Armor set◊.
- Yisha Tarren of X Rebirth in a gross violation of common sense, has a boob window on what appears to be her Latex Space Suit. Amusingly, one of the very first Game Mods to be released patched up the hole.
- Xenoblade has several sets of armor, with various holes cut over the cleavage, for Sharla, Melia, and Fiora.
- In Fire Emblem Fates, some of the male characters' default outfits have this, especially the ninjas.
- Persona 5: Ann Tamaki's Spy Catsuit has it's zipper open from her collar bones to partway down her breasts, leaving a section of her bare chest visible.
- Saber's dress in Fate/stay night has opening in the chest area, though strictly speaking there's not really any cleavage to emphasize.
- Also it should be noted whenever she goes into battle, her window is covered up by a large chestplate. And her normal civilian dress has no window.
- In Virtue's Last Reward, all Alice wears above her waist is an open jacket and a large Egyptian necklace. The important bits stay covered no matter what, but her cleavage remains on full display. And in several routes, she ends up getting fatally stabbed through the heart.
- Yang creates this effect by layering clothes. Her scarf and top expose the top half of her breasts while covering up the top half of her chest and neck.
- Glynda Goodwitch has a centralised oval-shaped hole in her blouse that is enclosed by the very high collar that she wears.
- Nora has a little heart-shaped hole just above her chest.
- Ruby's costume introduced in Volume 4 has one that would be large enough to completely expose her breasts were they not covered by her corset.
- Crossroads from Antihero for Hire wore a bodysuit that had as cross shaped cutout in the chest area early appearances. Luckily, she realized how ridiculous that costume looked, so she changed it.
- Discussed but averted in Dumbing of Age with self-appointed superheroine Amazi-Girl. To Daisy's displeasure.
- In Ears for Elves, one of the High Elves of Kenn'iraheal wears a long dress with a small keyhole in the front.
- Both Golden Jane and Iron Jane of the Jane Gang from Everyday Heroes wear leotards with teardrop-shaped cutouts above their cleavage.
- Ferretina's, the Weasel Queen's outfit from this non-canon Girl Genius comic. She wears a torn crop top that not only shows off her Underboobs but also has a oval shaped cut out above her cleavage.
- In Grrl Power, Halo warns Heavenly Sword that she'll be tagged as "Keyhole" if she doesn't introduce herself properly during her first appearance (even though it's a fight scene).
- Sandra on the Rocks is a comedy about the fashion business, so it's not surprising if this feature is present on some of the flashier outfits seen in the comic — notably on Zoé's clubbing outfit here. Which may be a little unwise of her, given that she usually opts for "stylish", and this dress reminds us that she's got quite a bit of cleavage to show.
Spinnerette: [...] If you could just give it a lower neckline with some cleavage[...]
- Lampshaded when discussing the design of Spinnerette's new suit, here.
Spinnerette: Y'know. To distract the bad guys.
Sahira: You have a bullet-proof fabric, and you want to cut a hole in it right over your heart?! Are you insane?
- Super MILF used to have one as her previously costume was a rip off of Power Girl. She apparently justifies this in that her "venusian bust" generates so much heat that she requires air venting. At least, that's what she says, though she also openly makes her opinion clear that the majority of costumed vigilantes do what they do mostly for sexual thrills, so...
- It has since been shown that it generates enough heat that people standing close to her can feel it. Dressing modestly would at the very least be highly uncomfortable. Of course, that doesn't mean that she has to use a Cleavage Window. She currently has an Impossibly-Low Neckline instead.
- Much later, when Spinnerettes based on different comic book eras start appearing in the main universe, 90's Spinnerette appears with this trope in full force, combining it with Absolute Cleavage and Leotard of Power.
- Ms. Apple from Whats Shakin has robe an aptly cut shape above her chest.
- Ice in Batman: The Brave and the Bold has a triangle shaped cleavage cutout on her costume.
- Power Girl got to keep her real costume - complete with this feature - in her first true animated appearance, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. (Probably because the movie was direct-to-DVD.)
- The Futurama DVD commentaries mention that the animators liked putting Leela and Amy in dresses with these whenever the plot required them to dress up. Lampshaded in one episode that had random time skips during a basketball game. Amy, wearing such an outfit, immediately brings attention to it as a possible explanation.
- In "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings," Leela wears a long formal dress with a keyhole in the chest to Fry's opera.
- Galatea from Justice League Unlimited has an oval shaped opening on her white leotard; granted she's supposed to be an Expy of Power Girl.
- In Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Ahsoka's outfit after the Time Skip in the third season is a backless mini dress with a small opening in the chest area. In the first 2.5 seasons it's an outright Age Inappropriate tube top, though.
- On Steven Universe, Sugilite doesn't really have cleavage, but has a hole in her outfit to show off the Gem in her chest.
- In Stan Lee's Stripperella the title character changes her costume midway through the series. It looks similar to her old costume, the difference being her long sleeved crop top has a huge enclosed diamond shaped cutout.
- Izzy from Total Drama has one in her signature outfit. The top is a crop top with triangle shaped keyhole. In the second aftermath of Action, she uses hers to hold grapes, cheese and crackers, as well as the crumbs she spit out after realizing she was on the green room's TV.
- There are probably plenty of these at model shoots and show business events, but such an outfit can be very — notable anywhere else. In May 2012, a model named Julia Orayén was hired to present some materials to the candidates at the start of a Mexican presidential debate. On camera for less than 30 seconds, her tight dress with a large keyhole was an instant Twitter sensation, and news reports worldwide declared how she had upstaged — or even "won" — the debate.
- A more mundane version is usually achieved by wearing a cardigan with only the top button fastened over an outfit that shows cleavage.
- The Japanese fashion company COMFILAX created a turtleneck with a cleavage window in 2014. After famous Japanese cosplayer Myako took a picture of herself wearing one, a meme started of drawing characters wearing that sweater.