open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Shute Sutherland is a Rich Bastard with a Boy Posse, sporting a Nobleman's Laugh.
- The relationship between Haruhi Suzumiya and Kyon is sometimes described as Belligerent Sexual Tension, but with a male Tsundere, and a female Jerk.
- In Is This a Zombie?, the male lead gets Magical Girl powers.
- In DNA2, Kotomi is a rare female example of a Gass Hole with her frequent farting.
- In Iono the Fanatics, the protagonist is a young queen of a foreign country. She likes girls, too: she has 1000 courtesans. She goes so far as to call herself a "skirt chaser".
- In Nyarko-san, it is the heroine Nyaruko who is the perverted one and the male protagonist Mahiro punishes her for indecent behaviour by stabbing her with a fork, making her bleed and squick.
- In Saiyuki, three of the protagonists are a male version of the Three Faces of Eve: Son Goku (the Child), Cho Hakkai (the Wife) and Sha Gojyo (the Seductress).
- Shiro from K is a Moe Non-Action Guy who carries a Parasol of Prettiness, blushes constantly, and used to have Rapunzel Hair (and wears hair clips in multiple official art pictures).
- Every Clan has a male Team Mom.
- In The Weatherman Is My Lover, Amasawa is a Cosplay Otaku Guy.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia Poland, Finland, Sealand and Prussia have many characteristics of a Plucky Girl. Albeit their versions are highly flamboyant (Poland), Finland, childish (Sealand) and/or narcissistic (Prussia) ones.
- And let's not forget that Germany and England are male versions of the Tsundere trope.
- Austria and Hungary meanwhile invert the Lady and Knight trope, with Hungary more often than not being the knight.
- Norway's hair-clip proves that it's not just the girls who are cuter with hair decs.
- Japan (fittingly) is a male Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Brock from the Pokémon anime is Team Mom supreme. He cooks, cleans, heals injured Pokémon, and even Ash's mother praises his domestic skills ("He's a better seamstress than I'll ever be"). It's overt from his first episode, as we first see him taking care of his nine brothers and sisters in their parents' absence, and his stated goal is to be a Pokémon Breeder (one who raises/cares for Pokémon). Eventually he leaves to become a Pokémon Doctor.
- Kamille Bidan from Zeta Gundam and Dilandau Albatou from The Vision of Escaflowne are male versions of The Ophelia at some point of the story. They both get better.
- And in the second case, Dilandau actually starts out as a girl.
- Ishida and arguably Yumichika from Bleach are also genderflipped Plucky Girls.
- There's more than one male Yamato Nadeshiko in manga and anime. Some examples are: Kiminobu Kogure from Slam Dunk; Shouma Takakura from Mawaru-Penguindrum; Japan (obviously) from Axis Powers Hetalia; Haku from Naruto; Yukito Tsukishiro and Fujitaka Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura; Seiichiro Aoki from X1999; Miyazaki from the Tokyo Babylon OAV, and arguably young!Subaru before it got worse; Taro Misaki from Captain Tsubasa; Tomohisa Kaname from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Rey from Saint Beast, etc.
- Misaki from Hana No Mizo Shiru is an endearingly clumsy boy who initially behaves irritably, but gradually warms up to his love interest over time, acting more shy and easily flustered around him. Said love interest also finds his teary face adorable. Unsurprisingly, he's from a Boys Love manga.
- Eco from Plus-Si is a male Kawaiiko.
- Night from Absolute Boyfriend is a Magical Boyfriend.
- Kuranosuke from Princess Jellyfish is a male Nerd Nanny, and a Manic Pixie Dream Guy.
- Not to mention a Bifauxjo.
- In Kirby of the Stars, Sirica wants to kill Meta Knight because he killed her mother (the normal version of the trope is later played straight by Knuckle Joe).
- Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail is The Big Guy of her Five-Man Band; notable because the group is not an Amazon Brigade.
- Kagura from Gintama is this, too. And she's younger than the guys in her group.
- Codename: Sailor V has an example of Villains Want Heroines, and an example of Unlucky Everydudette.
- Kill la Kill is one of the few series where you'll find Vapor Wear on the Shameless Fanservice Guy.
- Happiness! is a rare series where a boy wears Proper Tights with a Skirt.
- In Fushigi Yuugi, Emperor Hotohori is very elegant and handsome swordsman with long hair - this makes him a male Lady of War.
- In Vandread, Bart is a Spaceship Boy.
- The self-proclaimed Great Teacher Onizuka is a Sensei-kun
- In Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Badass Action Girl Balsa is the bodyguard of the young Prince Chagum, in a gender inversion of the classic Badass and Child Duo.
- Bubblegum Crisis has a Five-Man Band consisting of four girls and a male Chick.
- Sho from Skip Beat! is a male Idol Singer.
- An episode of Hell Girl features a woman who killed her son out of greed and got away with it. She blackmails a girl who she thinks found out about it by holding the girl's dogs hostage. Unlike most examples, the woman also killed the boy's grandparents to get at their inheritance money. She gets what's coming to her in the end.
- Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! is a Magical Boy Warrior show, and also has a male version of Phoneaholic Teenager.
- Daily Lives of High School Boys is a Schoolboy Series.
- I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying has a Yaoi Fanboy and a Deconfirmed Bachelorette.
- In What Ever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, Pete Ross suffers a male version of Stuffed into the Fridge.
- Plastic Man is a male version of Absolute Cleavage.
- Battle Couple Green Arrow and Black Canary often gender flip Guys Smash, Girls Shoot, with Canary being the hand-to-hand expert and Arrow being, obviously, an archer, though they are both highly proficient in their opposing skill as well.
- In First Try Series, Tetsuo is a male example of Career Versus Man
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic Stallions On Strike is about the 1960s-70s feminist movement with stallions.
- Zastruga, a Rise of the Guardians fanfic, has Jack Frost playing the Boy in the Tower while being held by Pitch. As a further inversion, the "tower" in question stretches down into the ground, rather than rising above it.
- Mpreg fanfics automatically by definition gender invert nearly every pregnancy and birth trope in the book.
- In Here, There Be Dragons, Bilbo is a Mafia Prince.
- God Save The Esteem has Cindy Brolsma as something like a female Kavorka Man.
- Hunting The Unicorn Cerebus Retcons Blaine Anderson into either The Ingenue or the Princess Classic. Despite also fitting the Prince Charming or Knight in Shining Armor archetypes, Blaine's optimism and naivete inevitably break him when Reality Ensues.
Films — Animated
- In The Princess and the Frog, Dr. Facilier is a male example of Bare Your Midriff.
- In Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Sherman is a Cute Clumsy Boy.
- Monsters vs. Aliens features a teenage couple making out in their car when the giant robot probe arrives. Unlike most examples of a teen couple, it's the chick who's pushing the shy Jerk Jock for sex, and she ends up carrying him away from the probe.
Films — Live Action
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has a gender-reversed instance of Outdoor Bath Peeping.
- Ash from the Evil Dead series started out as a Final Boy.
- Hair Spray (the 2007 version), has female versions of Big Fun and Fat and Skinny, while Link and Tracy's relationship can best be described as Single Man Seeks Good Woman.
- In The Golden Child, the titular character is a male example of a Barrier Maiden.
- In A Knight's Tale, Kate's husband serves as a male version of The Lost Lenore.
- Thor has what can best be described as a Magical Boy Kingliness Test for the titular character.
- Lifeforce features a gender inverted take on the Dracula model by having a female vampire, the beautiful Space Girl, manipulating the desires and ultimately dominating Weak-Willed men while being aided by two male brides.
- In A Brother's Price almost every trope is gender-inverted. And then gender-inverted again, when the protagonist, who is expected to be a proper gentleman turns out to know about lockpicking and similar stuff, due to his grandmas having been spies. He is more of a Silk Hiding Steel, but still plays an important role in solving the plot.
- Butcher Brakespeare in the Flora Segunda books is a female Exalted Torturer.
- Devereaux D'Orsay in The Heir Chronicles is a male version of Daddy's Little Villain.
- Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter is a male Alpha Bitch.
- Ara the Handsome is a male version of Fairest of Them All.
- The Hunger Games has a gender-reversed instance of Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl, with Katniss as the brooding girl and Peeta as the gentle boy.
- Holes has a rare female example of an Evil Prison Warden as the Big Bad. There is also, in the backstory, Kissin' Kate Barlow, a woman who takes revenge for the murder of her beloved by becoming a bandit.
- In Veronica Mars, Wallace is a male Girl Friday, and Logan often acts as a male Femme Fatale.
- In The Brittas Empire, Tim is a Clingy Jealous Guy to Gavin.
- One episode of El Chapulín Colorado featured a House Husband whose life was so similar to a House Wife's it was Played for Laughs. He complained about his wife wanting to watch a game instead of taking him to the movies like she promised; tells her "don't touch me" like some wives usually do on TV while mad at her husbands. When the husband of a former patient of his (he was a gynecologist before becoming a House Husband when his wife started making more money then he did) showed up needing help, Chapulin encouraged him stating he needed to show men could work.
- Renn Kousaka/Go-on Blue from Engine Sentai Go-onger, a near-perfect example of a male Yamato Nadeshiko and Team Mom.
- Stargate SG-1 gender-flips Belligerent Sexual Tension with Vala Mal Doran as a Jerk with a Heart of Gold and Daniel Jackson as a Type B Tsundere.
- Austin & Ally gender-flips the P.O.V. Boy, Poster Girl trope. Ally is the POV Girl, while Austin is the Poster Boy that drives the plot along.
- Power Rangers Operation Overdrive has a male example of My Biological Clock Is Ticking.
- CSI: Miami has an example of False Widower.
- Wilma from Wendell And Vinnie could be seen as a female Casanova Wannabe; she constantly chases after men who have no interest in her and is generally depicted as being hopeless at getting a boyfriend, all Played for Laughs the way a man in her position would be.
- The Torchwood episode "Torchwood S 2 E 1 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" has a male example of Drugged Lipstick.
- Manipulative bully "King" Ralph from Fresh Meat is a male version of the Alpha Bitch and Rich Bitch archetypes, complete with a Boy Posse.
- Fantasy Island invoked it in an episode where a secretary, feeling like a sexual bargaining chip for her boss (Quote: "What am I, a piece of meat?") is given a chance to be CEO with a male secretary. She ends up promising a client a dinner date with her secretary in exchange for a lucrative business deal. Cue the Ironic Echo about pieces of meat, coming from him.
- Oh, Doctor Beeching! has a gender-flipped version of The Missus and the Ex, with Jack as May's "missis", and Parkin as the ex.
- In Fringe, Peter Bishop is a Mad Scientist's Handsome Son who serves as a romantic lead for a female protagonist.
- One of the disposable sex workers from the Millennium pilot is a male prostitute Frank saves from a harrowing live burial.
- Ray Drecker of Hung is a Single Dad Stripper.
- In Chrono Trigger, there seems to be a gender-inverted variant of Wife Husbandry going on between Ayla and Kino. See character page for details...
- In Team Fortress 2, thanks to Australium, Australian women have Badass Moustaches.
- Thanks partially to the fact that Falena is ruled by Queens rather than Kings, many tropes are gender inverted in Suikoden V. Bodyguard Crush and Brotherhood of Funny Hats all have gender inversions in this game.
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World has Emil, a male Shrinking Violet.
- There are some males from Fire Emblem who are White Magician Dudes: Claud, Corple and his expy Sharlow from Seisen no Keifu, Sleuf from Thracia 776, Saul from Binding Blade, Moulder from Sacred Stones, and Rhys from Path of Radiance.
- Fire Emblem Awakening offers another White Magical Boy in the form of Brady, but due to the reclass system, he doesn't have to remain one. Conversely, Kellam starts as a Mighty Glacier, but can be reclassed into a White Magical Boy (bonus points if he's Brady's father). Tharja on the other hand starts as a Dark Magical Girl, but can turn into one of the best Glacier Waif Great Knights, with her Cute But Psycho daughter Noire able to get the same thing.
- Many Fire Emblem males fit very well as plucky boys. And also, there are several genderflipped Lady and Knight cases where the "Lady" is a "Lord" and the "Knight" is an Action Girl.
- Fire Emblem Fates opened up many of the series' previously-gender-exclusive classes (like Axe Fighters and Pegasus Knights) up to both genders, and this includes the starting units for both classes (Charlotte and Subaki, respectively).
- In Boktai, Sabata is a Dark Magical Boy.
- In Super Paper Mario, Luigi is a male Apocalypse Maiden.
- In Kingdom Hearts, Xemnas utilises She-Fu in his Ethereal Blade combos.
- Kanon from Umineko: When They Cry is a male Meido.
- In the Borderlands 2 DLC Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, Mr. Torgue is accused by Lilith of being a bandwagon geek only wanting in on Tina's RPG campaign because it's trendy, a stereotype often associated with women gamers. He's then made to answer three question that only true geeks would know. He fails to prove his cred, but they decide to let him stay around as a questgiver when he breaks down in tears.
- Mass Effect 2 features the rare male Green-Skinned Space Babe in the form of the drell. Kissable lips, pecs that can't be tamed, big eyes, and a generally kind demeanor. One of them is even rescued from a Distressed Dude situation by Liara, a regular Green-Skinned Space Babe (well, she's blue, but you get the gist).
- The game also has does this with the Thanks for the Mammary trope. If you play with a male Shepard and conclude Miranda's loyalty mission, she will thank you while roaming her hand through your chest and cop a feel on your pecs.
- Excellen Browning of Super Robot Wars Compact 2 and its Video Game Remake Impact is a Boisterous Bruiser, who so happens to be the heroine, making this a rare case. Much of the boisterousness is mixed alongside her being a Hard Drinking Party Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
- From Homestuck, John's relationship with Vriska could be seen as a gender-flipped version of the "Jerk with a Heart of Gold Anti-Villain Woobie meets eternally-optimistic good girl who redeems him'' trope. If so, it's ultimately subverted when Vriska meets death by redemption and John later admits that in retrospect Vriska was just kind of crazy. That this particular relationship was especially good at inciting a Broken Base may or may not be relevant.
- Check, Please! has Bitty as the Team Mom, he is the nurturing, pie-baking member of the hockey team who loves to help the new guys. This also helps with the Ship Tease he has with the Team Dad, Jack.
- Allen of Allen The Alien becomes a Guy In A Box.
- The Order of the Stick has a male version of The Dulcinea Effect with Therkla, who decides to help Elan after gaining a huge crush on him.
- Stand Still, Stay Silent has Captain Sigrun Eide as the Team Dad, and her Number One Mikkel Madsen as the Team Mom.
- 5 Second Films: "Dude Bro Party Massacre 3" is a Slasher Movie... with a bunch of guys in skimpy outfits having a sleepover and providing Fanservice and a girl as the psychotic killer. It highlists the misogyny that the genre has often been accused of. It was later made into a full-length feature.
- Mars Needs Women gets an inversion in this piece of art, appropriately titled "Mars Needs Men". The ladies then suit up to rescue the guys.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aang is a Magical Boyfriend who fights using She-Fu. Meanwhile, Toph the Big Guy is a 12-year-old blind girl.
- In the play based on their adventures Aang is played by a woman in a bald cap and Toph is played by a huge, muscular man. Aang is not amused. Toph is delighted.
- Azula is also clearly an rare example of an Evil Princess and "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl.
- During the episode in Yukon of Total Drama World Tour, Noah receives a Marshmallow Hell from Owen, after Bridgette didn't let him hug her.
- Eva as a character is a rare female Jerk Jock who's not a Straw Feminist.
- Justin is the male version of I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: he's so handsome that he can hypnotize just about any girl (and one or two guys), and taking off his shirt (which he does often) is enough to make them hand over suitcases full of money.
- A gender-inversion of I Have You Now, My Pretty in Adventuresof The Galaxy Rangers. The Queen is delighted when she finally has Zachary in her clutches, and even Word of God was commenting about the "S&M overtones."
- In The Legend of Zelda, Spryte is a Beautiful Lech.
- Animaniacs, the show that introduced us to Hello, Nurse!, also had a Spear Counterpart of the trope for Dot.
- In Biker Mice from Mars, Dr Carbunkle is a male version of Combat Stilettos (he wears boots with stiletto heels).
- The Powerpuff Girls has a female version of Loved I Not Honor More (albeit with a new friend instead of a lover).
- In Hey Arnold!, Gerald is a male example of Beehive Hairdo, and Suzie Kokoshka is a Henpecked Wife.
- In the ThunderCats (2011) episode "The Duelist and the Drifter", the titular Drifter is a Deliberately Distressed Dude.
- The Batman Beyond episode "April Moon" has an example of Man Scorned. Dr. Corso, who has been providing weaponized cyborg upgrades to a criminal gang who had been holding his wife hostage, learns that she was in on it and was cheating on him with the gang leader. The final scene has him lowering a drill towards the gang leader, with the very strong implication that he's going to kill him in a very gory way.
- The titular Steven Universe could be considered a Magical Boy.
- In Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Ickis is a Naive Everyguy.
- TaleSpin has a male version of a Sweet Polly Oliver- Higher for Hire's business is suffering because its boss is female, so Baloo decides to enter an air scavenger hunt. In order to do so, he needs someone to sponsor him, but only an all-female aviation club will sponsor Higher for Hire, so he disguises himself as a lady.
- Shining Armor from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is a Faux Action Guy.
- TCFM from Jimmy Two-Shoes is a Granola Guy.