After all these years, Tony still has you picking up the dry cleaning. Pepper Potts:
I do anything and everything Mr. Stark requires. Including, occasionally, taking out the trash
. [still smiling]
Will that be all?
The faithful female servant. She's not an Action Girl
, but neither is she a Damsel in Distress
; her main job is to help out The Hero
(her boss) at critical junctures. Sometimes she provides critical information, other times it's just a helping hand or heart
, sometimes with a side of Unresolved Sexual Tension
. Don't presume the Girl Friday can't fight, however — she can still kick plenty of ass, sometimes turning into a full-fledged Battle Butler
The term is the Distaff Counterpart
of "Man Friday," an expression that comes from Robinson Crusoe
's "man Friday" (man as in servant, Friday being his name); it was popularized for female office workers by His Girl Friday
, a Screw Ball Comedy
about a reporter's relationship with her editor/ex-husband.
Compare with The Jeeves
, Beleaguered Assistant
, and Hyper Competent Sidekick
. A step up from the Sexy Secretary
. Contrast Ignored Enamored Underling
The 1994 TV movie of this name and the song by the Beat Crusaders are neither the Trope Namer
nor examples of the trope.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Pepper Potts, who is becoming more and more badass. She even has her own armor now.
- Both Shellie and Gail have performed this role for Dwight McCarthy in Sin City. Gail does get her hands dirty from time to time, though.
- Mercy Graves for Lex Luthor—at least, as seen in Batman: No Man's Land. Her duties range from bodyguarding to business to serving dinner. Could be a subversion of sorts—she's not exactly working for the hero.
- Oracle would sometimes act as this for Batman, being his source for communication and intel. Though she would frequently get impatient and sick of his constant thankless demands, and often needed to remind him that she is not his personal secretary. This was lampshaded by Nightwing, who also called on her frequently for communication and intel, while also trading flirty banter.
- Deliberately subverted in Ed Brubaker's Image series Velvet, which follows Velvet Templeton, the personal secretary to the director of elite espionage organization ARC-7, and a veteran secret agent herself, who after more than 10 years of retirement is still equal than or superior to the all-male James Bond-esque agents the group fields.
- Street Fighter II has Gibson, Guile's Canon Foreigner assistant.
- Big Fat Liar: Kaylee is essential for all of Jason's scams. She fakes voices, helps out the legwork, strategizes etc.
- The version of Pepper Potts portrayed by Gwyneth Paltrow in the Iron Man movies very much applies. In Iron Man 2, Tony realizes she already basically runs Stark Industries so he makes her CEO, with her own Girl Friday, Natalie Rushman.
- Shelley Barnes, the lesbian assistant of Jack Gramm, in 88 Minutes.
- Though the character of Lucy wasn't George's secretary in Two Weeks Notice, he certainly treated her like one so much that she was pretty much a personal nanny to him.
- James Bond:
- Miss Moneypenny. "Oh, James! Do be careful!" Note that Moneypenny is technically one of these to M, rather than to Bond himself.
- In the novels, Mary Goodnight was Bond's Girl Friday, and unlike the film adaptation of The Man with the Golden Gun, she was actually competent. She was the secretary for the 00 agents and they had a wager to see which one of them would seduce her.
- Lisa from Rear Window refers to herself as this while helping Jeff try to figure out if Thorwald killed his own wife. She proceeds to send a letter from Jeff to Thorwald, inspect the courtyard for any body parts, and even break into the accused's apartment to search for clues.
- In A Face in the Crowd, Lonesome Rhodes calls Marcia Jeffries "my little ol' gal Friday, not to mention Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, n' Thursday."
- In Doonesbury, Uncle Duke at one point asks Honey Huan to be his Girl Friday. She replies, "At the risk of sounding forward, sir, I'm free all week." Since they were actually shipwrecked at the time, he apparently meant "Girl Friday" both in in the Robinson Crusoe sense, and in the "assistant" sense.
- Fiorello! has Marie, Fiorello's incorruptibly faithful assistant. She suffers through fifteen years of unrequited love for him until he finally makes her his second wife.
- Cortana from Halo is an interesting variation.
- Another (quite literal) Girl Friday is Nigel's Fairy Companion Friday from Landstalker.
- Ace Attorney:
- Maya Fey/Ema Skye and Trucy Wright for Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice, respectively.
- Miles Edgeworth unwillingly gets one in his own game, in the form of Lady Thief Kay Faraday.
- To some extent, the detectives are these to their prosecutors. So Ema Skye is also one to Klavier seven years onward.
- Yeoman Kelly Chambers serves in this role in Mass Effect 2, with Specialist Traynor taking over in Mass Effect 3. EDI is no slacker in this role either, often being the one to trawl through local data feeds to give Shepard fresh intel whenever s/he leaves the ship.
- Ingrid Hunnigan in Resident Evil 4.
- Jenny (to the player, and despite actively trying to be awful at her job) and Alexa (to Dr. F., in a more straightforward example) in MySims Agents.
- Snow White to Bigby throughout a good portion of The Wolf Among Us.
- Literally the name of Stenchler's assistant in Sewer Shark.