Gwyneth Kate Paltrow (born September 27, 1972) is an American actress, singer, and food writer. She made her acting debut on stage in 1990 and started appearing in films in 1991. After appearing in several films throughout the decade, she gained early notice for her work in films such as Se7en and Emma (in which she played the title role).Following the films Sliding Doors and A Perfect Murder , she garnered worldwide recognition through her performance in Shakespeare in Love, for which she won an Academy Award for Best Actress, a Golden Globe Award and two Screen Actors Guild Awards, for Outstanding Lead Actress and as a member of the Outstanding Cast. She also won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series in 2011 for her role as Holly Holliday on the Fox hit TV show Glee in the episode "The Substitute".Paltrow has portrayed supporting, as well as, lead roles, in films such as The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Royal Tenenbaums, Shallow Hal, and Proof, for which she earned a Golden Globe nomination as Best Actress in Motion Picture Drama. Since 2008 she has portrayed Pepper Potts, the Love Interest of Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, particularly the Iron Man films and The Avengers.She has had two children, Apple and Moses, with Coldplay lead vocalist Chris Martin, who she was married to since 2003 but separated (or as she put it, "consciously uncoupled") in early 2014.
- Beauty Inversion: Famously wore a fat suit for Shallow Hal, and was notably drab in her uncredited cameo in the pilot for The New Normal ("Hi, I'm Abby - a lot of people say I look like Gwyneth Paltrow...").
- The Cast Show Off: She was able to show her singing skills in Duets, View From The Top (as part of a Crowd Song), Country Strong and Glee.
- Fake Brit: Many of her early roles were British characters. Her opening monologue in an episode of Saturday Night Live focused on her speaking in a British accent, causing her then-boyfriend Ben Affleck to step out and remind her that she's not actually British.
- Fanservice: Indulges in this surprisingly often. (Out of her, Kim Kardashian and Kate Upton, Paltrow was the one who did her ice bucket challenge wearing a bikini.)
- It Runs in the Family: Her late father Bruce Paltrow was a noted writer-producer, while her mother is Tony award-winning actress Blythe Danner, who played Martha Jefferson in the movie version of 1776. (In fact, Blythe Danner was pregnant with her while filming an episode of Columbo - and Paltrow was born a few days after the episode ["Etude In Black"] first aired.)
- Real-Life Relative: The director of Duets was her father. This film became their only on-screen collaboration.
- The Rival: To Martha Stewart, now that they both have very successful lifestyle businesses. The media's extended the competition with Jessica Alba, Blake Lively and Reese Witherspoon. She isn't happy about it.
- Star-Making Role: As written above, she received critical acclaim in Se7en and Emma, but Shakespeare in Love solidified her A-List status.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands at 5'10, meaning that in Iron Man (where she played the Girl Friday and serves as that page's image), she towered over Robert Downey Jr.