Angel of God, My guardian dear,
To whom His love commits me here
Ever this day be at my side
To light and guard, to rule and guide.
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.
A Guardian Angel
is a benevolent supernatural entity, whose main function is to protect and guide a person.
The concept itself seems to originate in The Bible
. In the Old Testament angels are described as entities that carry out God's will, which may include helping people in their personal affairs. New Testament makes a reference to personal angels. Over ages the concept evolved more.
Like cherubs' typical description evolved over time from Eldritch Abomination
to a cute baby-like being, guardian angels became the "good angel" in a good angel-bad angel routine
. The bad angels, too, originated from the same concept, as it was commonly believed, though non-canon, that there is a fallen angel following around people as well, as the fallen angels seem to attempt to recreate the celestial hierarchy.
Guardian angels, generally speaking, do not have as much power, they typically work in subtle ways and often act as a conscience. Sometimes they are even reduced to mere scribes, recording the person's good deeds, then there will inevitably be an imp that records evil deeds, so that it can be determined if a person's soul goes to heaven or hell (that's the canon in Islam).
Zoroastrism has similar entities called Holy Guardian Angels. They are more or less exactly like Christian Guardian angels, but interestingly they chose to help people themselves, as opposed to Christian Angels, which are God's servants.
In fiction, the role of guardian angel is sometimes held by a dead person, who may or may not have known the person they're guarding when they were alive, instead of by an actual angel.
Expect God Was My Copilot
, as usually the person is not even aware that the guardian angel influenced anything or is even there. Expect Angel Unaware
if he shows up in person. May also be a Spirit Advisor
Compare Guardian Entity
, Fairy Godmother
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Hito Hitori Futari, human souls watch after living humans so that they do not accumulate too much evil.
- Sakura's mother in Card Captor Sakura has become one and is sometimes seen by Touya.
- Early on in Digimon Adventure, Patamon asks T.K. what an angel is after seeing a painting of one and T.K. explains it as something special that watches over them, comparing angels like the Digimon. Patamon evidently takes this to heart because he evolves into none other than the angel digimon Angemon and his subsequent evolutions who fiercely protects T.K. whenever he is in danger.
Films — Live-Action
- Given the nature of their relationship and what she turns out to be, Magali of Astral Dawn could be considered to be Caspian's guardian angel.
- Sookie's Fairy Godmother was studying up to be promoted to Guardian Angel in The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries.
- In Philip K Dick's Eye In The Sky, at one point the protagonists end up in a world (actually a fundamentalist's personal mental world) where religious concepts are physically manifest and obvious. One of these are guardian angels, who can manifest as small mouths that whisper advice into a person's ears.
- In Gene Stratton Porter's Freckles, after Freckles has let slip that he thinks she's an angel, he gives her food and she argues that he's her guardian angel.
- More generally the "white-lighters" fill a very similar role, although they are deceased humans, not angels. The sisters' white-lighter watches over and helps them as a force of good and connection to the Big Good in the sky (i.e. God).
- Things get confusing later when actual Guardian Angels appear. Unlike Whitelighters, everyone has one, and people never see them—they just subtly affect your actions to keep you safe from things ranging from demons to accidentally dropping stuff.
- Touched by an Angel sort of does this, as does Highway To Heaven.
- Quantum Leap episode "It's a Wonderful Leap:" a woman claims she is Sam's guardian angel, and is there to help him help the person he leapt into. She can see Al, who is Invisible to Normals.
- The plot of Teen Angel: Marty dies, but hangs around his best bud Steve and helps him.
- Some of the angels in Supernatural were supposed to be this. Prophets specifically are said to be guarded by Archangels, who can kick the ass of any being- mortal, demon, or otherwise- who threatens their designated Prophet.
- The Latinoamerican Telenovela Un Angel Llamado Azul (An Angel Called Blue) was about a little girl's guardian angel who falls in love with her teacher.
- In Married... with Children "It's a Bundy-ful Life", a Guardian Angel shows up to help Al. When he actually meets Al in person (who confirms that he's the person the angel needs to help), the angel unleashes a Big "NO!" and rants angrily at God for giving him this horrible assignment (and to stop playing videogames). He tells Al that he thought he was supposed to save a human soul.
- The '60s Fantastic Comedy The Smothers Brothers Show featured Tommy Smothers as Guardian Angel to his brother Dick.
- In the opera Hansel and Gretel, the children's evening prayer sings of fourteen angels watching over them as they sleep. These fourteen appear in the ensuing Dream Ballet.
- In Sorcery101, Sorcerers who are demon-hunters have angels who watch over them and guide them but aren't allowed to interfere much. Cal in particular was Ally and her family's angel.
- In Misfile Cassiel has decided to assume this role towards Eponine, trouble is Cassiel is not that competent about it.
- In El Goonish Shive, Nanase gets a spell with this as its name which transforms her into the form of an angel and gives her the abilities needed to protect Ellen from Abraham.
- In And Shine Heaven Now, by the time of the climactic Battle of London, Jeeves and Wooster have been guardian angels for years, Bertie takes Sir Penwood as an apprentice one (necessary because they needed all the guardian angels they could get), and, in an Ironic Hell, Father Maxwell became one of these as 'community service' to get out of going to hell, but he has to protect Protestants-namely, Integra's dhampyr son.
- In Dragon Mango, her inexplicable survival makes Mango say she must have one.