open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The titular character of Naruto and his brother figure Iruka were both class clowns. Both acted this way out of a desperate need to not be alone any longer.
- Akira Sengoku of Cage of Eden. Which is why pretty much everyone is shocked when they find out he's the one leading the most successful group of survivors.
- Tomo from Azumanga Daioh. Almost always the one to act out and make a scene in class.
- Marvel Comics' character The Awesome Slapstick'' is a Class Clown who became a living Toon.
- Mary Jane Watson-Parker (just Watson now) was one in high school, according to several Character bios, who used it to cover up her insecurities and emotional problems.
- Jeffrey Dahmer, as depicted in My Friend Dahmer, was a class clown at his high school and even had a fan club launched in his honor.
- Iceman was the original Class Clown of the X-Men, but when he left, Nightcrawler took over that role.
- Zipi y Zape: The twins are portrayed this way sometimes.
Film: Live Action
- Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
- Lucas Cott in Johanna Hurwitz's Class Clown. Eventually he grows out of this role and his Foe Yay Slap-Slap-Kiss Toy Ship relationship with Cricket Kaufman becomes friendly as he demonstrates how smart he really is.
- Louis Sachar's Dogs Don't Tell Jokes is about Gary "Goon" Boone, a class clown who learns to take comedy more seriously, paradoxical as that sounds. Gary started out as the Plucky Comic Relief of Sachar's less humorous preceding novel Someday Angeline before receiving a Spin-Off.
- The Weasley twins (and their friend Lee Jordan) in Harry Potter. The twins actually make a profitable career out of this by manufacturing magic sweets, joke items and fireworks. After Harry gave them his Triwizard winnings as a "start-up loan", the twins only stayed on at school for another year so they could field-test their products, many of which helped make life miserable for Umbridge.
- Leo in The Heroes of Olympus admits to being this. Something of a Stepford Smiler, as he only acts likes a goof to protect himself and hide his dark past.
- Pippi Longstocking was this for the one day she gave school a shot.
- Almost everyone on the Sedleigh fire brigade in Mike and Psmith; they have nothing to do during meetings since there's never been any actual fire worth speaking of, and most members joined for the mere joy of bothering the headmaster.
- Homer Yannos is described as having been one in The Tomorrow Series.
- Marco in Animorphs is very much the Sad Clown variety.
- Zane, in Dinoverse, takes this role but abandons it after returning from the Cretaceous - it never really fit him anyway, and he's much smarter than he'd wanted to let on before.
- Razz in Don't Call Me Ishmael!. He’s very loud and prefers having fun to paying attention in class. He also likes to make fun of his teachers sometimes, such as when Mr Barker uses him as an example of how not to wear the school uniform and Razz pretends to be on a catwalk.
Live Action Television
- An episode of CSI had a much darker take; the class clown was also the school bully who largely got away with being a jerk to everyone by being this. He's shot by the school's counselor, who was caught up in a school shooting once and wanted to stop him before one of his victims stopped seeing the funny side of it and snapped.
- Xander in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He hoped to be named official class clown at graduation but it went to another student who Xander dismissed as a mere 'prop comic'.
- Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide had an episode about this, with the plot being that the up-to-this-point-unseen class clown character is leaving. As a Class Clown is needed to avoid the students falling into depression, they seek someone to replace them. Gordy reveals he was once a class clown when he was younger, and tries to help Ned take on this role (As Ned was just unable to be funny by himself). Eventually a Deadpan Snarker is picked to take their place, who was unwilling as he didn't want to get in trouble.
- Willie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie was in the corner so often for goofing off, that when he and Laura both got sent to the corner in an episode, he told Laura to get out of "his" corner.
- Bulk and Skull from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers were officially bullies but were never shown actually bullying anyone (except in the unaired pilot) and behaved much more like class clowns, trying to show off and ending up slapstick Butt Monkeys of the show and their zany antics would often land them in detention. However, in season three they join the junior police force and go through various jobs all the way into Lost Galaxy.
- Friends: Chandler mentioned he was voted class clown in high school. In present day he's the reigning Deadpan Snarker of the gang, sometimes lapsing into Sad Clown / Stepford Snarker territory.
Stand Up Comedy
- One of George Carlin's earlier routines is all about this. Namely, Carlin himself was a class clown, and in a Catholic school, no less. Which he says made it twice as fun, as "there was always the chance of being struck dead by an angry God." He also noted that laughing in places you aren't supposed to laugh makes the laughter that much better.
- His 1972 album, Class Clown, won the Grammy for best comedy album. He demonstrated that the class clown was the first to discover "the artificial fart under the arm." (or as they call it in New York, "the ahtfificial faht unduh de ahm!!")
- Jon Stewart has said that in high school, he considered it a very important distinction that he was voted funniest, not class clown, in the yearbook.
- A joke that had made the rounds awhile back dealt with a boy at school who made bad grades because he couldn't answer any questions right. One day, he brought a bag of marbles and emptied them all over the floor. The teacher sternly intoned, "Okay, who's the comedian with the colored balls?" The boy piped up "Flip Wilson!"
- Subverted by The Nostalgia Critic. He acted like a monkey in eighth grade and was pitied highly for it, as well as bullied for that and other things.
- Deconstructed by Cracked.com's John Cheese in his articles  and . In them he explains what happens when you try to keep on being the class clown in the workplace or in college.
- The Simpsons
- In "The Front", Homer and Marge go back to their old high school reunion. The former class clown was the one handing out awards.
- Bart is sometimes portrayed this way. Milhouse once told him that the world needs a clown. In one episode, he even expresses disdain about this role:
"So the substitute teacher comes in and says her name is Mrs. Doody, and everyone's looking at me like "Take it, Bart, run with it!". And it hits me. I've become a clown...a class clown...and it sickens me."
- Ralph Wiggum is the unintentional class clown of Miss Hoover's class.
- Buster from Arthur.
- Carlos on The Magic School Bus.
- Similarly to the comic example, Nightcrawler and Iceman (and by extension, most of the new recruits) fall under this in X-Men: Evolution.
- T.J. Detweiler from Recess, though he has a lot of respect from most of the students, and Miss Grotke finds most of his antics charming.
- Buster Bunny in an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures where he is sent to the principal's office for disrupting class. Subverted in that the class was Class Clowning 101 and Buster was sent to the principal's office because his class clowning antics weren't funny enough for him to pass.
- Gravity Falls episode "A Tale of Two Stans" implies that Stan was one in his youth, supported by clips of him fooling around at school during the growing-up montage. However, this trope is deconstructed- Stan spent more time clowning around than studying, his future plans summed up as "Let my smarter twin brother do the heavy thinking", and when his family got fed up with this attitude and cut him off, found himself without any serious skills to get by in the world.
- Sid the Invisible Man expy in Gravedale High describes himself as the class clown, as a side effect of been invisible (and thus often ignored).
- The Joker was supposed to be this in the aborted animated series Gotham High.