Sam: Ed, Larry— this is Lisa Sherborne from Vanity Fair.
Lisa: Which one's Ed, which one's Larry?
Two characters, usually in a school setting, to be the mundane Greek Chorus
. They may or may not be snarky
and unlike the Greek Chorus
, they don't break the fourth wall
very often (if at all). They're completely ordinary... and no, we don't mean as in the Ordinary High School Student
, or the Badass Normal
. They're ordinary
. Often the best friends
of the main character (who is
an Ordinary High School Student
) before all the weirdness with aliens, robots, magic, demons, harems, etc.
Some pairs become involved in the plot less and less as the series progresses
, especially if the plot becomes more serious
. Given what usually happens to people involved in the plot, it's probably for the best. However, it's not uncommon for Those Two Guys to also become popular and even iconic characters
in the series.
Their personalities usually sharply contrast, e.g. calm/hyper, jock/geek, etc., or their appearances contrast, e.g. short/tall, thin/fat
... When they don't, they will be exactly the same. They might even wear Coordinated Clothes
. Their names are often esoteric (either too complex or too simple to stand out), plus their non-involvement with the plot usually results in them being called "Those Two Guys".
Occasionally, we get a Lower Deck Episode
from their point of view. Expect to ask someone Who Is This Guy Again?
after a few episodes.
Compare the Beta Couple
, Heterosexual Life-Partners
, Tomboy and Girly Girl
, Sensitive Guy and Manly Man
, Straight Man and Wise Guy
, Statler and Waldorf
and The Dividual
. This trope may sometimes overlap with Red Oni, Blue Oni
trope (though that trope isn't always exclusive to the Those Two Guys trope). Despite the similar name, Those Two Bad Guys
different personalities from Those Two Guys... even if they are
bad guys. If there's only one of these guys in a romance-based series, he's likely a Bromantic Foil
. Also associated to members of a musical group who are not the Face of the Band
open/close all folders
- Sam and Naoko provide the human commentary in The Return it's even Lampshaded how everyone else seems to get turned into a succubus but they've hung around the main character for half a million words so far and are still human and un-kidnappedd. When Sunshine reveals she is a succubus, they just look at each other and the loser pays the winner with an "I told you so".
- In the Professional Wrestling fanfiction TWE: The Next Generation "Rapid" Ricky Helix and Marcus Cross are just there to make Generation Now more threating. While Dax Din, Claymore Raters, Rena Myers, Nicholas Churchill and Zephyr Jones are more important to the whole story arch.
- In Glee fanfiction focusing on Blaine and/or Dalton, Wes and David (frequently called Wevid in-universe) often play this part.
- David Squall (Splashdown) and Edward Surge (Thunderhead) in Rise of the Galeforces.
- Blooey and Jerry in Paper Luigi X, with Torque sometimes joining in.
- Ros and Guil in the Horseshoes and Hand Grenades side-story Wheel of Fortune. Notably they're only name this because no one else knows their real names. Just like their namesakes, they get killed off.
- Broken Saints has two villainous variations: Sociopathic Soldiers Lt. Charles and Lt. Bravado, and club bouncers Phobos and Deimos. The latter two do fulfill the physical contrast, with one being white and the other black.
- The elderly couple in Fairy Foxes. Also, musical Fairy Foxes Yazzi and Jazzi.
- Mr. Bland and Señor Having a Little Trouble from Homestar Runner. They both entered the Strongest Man in the World Contest... and only lasted a couple of seconds. They only have one line each. Strong Bad jokingly explained their lack of appearances because they were crushed by a falling concession stand. Most of their appearances are in the cartoons poking fun at the creators' old drawing style.
- Coach Z and Bubs or Strong Mad and The Cheat (or as Strong Bad calls them, "the two guys") probably qualify.
- Superman and Batman are this in the How It Should Have Ended videos. Most of their appearances are both of them sitting in a diner, sometimes with a third superhero.
: I can't believe we haven't watched this show before!
: I don't want to believe we have!