Alice is about to do something on accident, or on purpose, that Bob and Charlie doesn't want her to do. Let's say "knocking over a priceless vase". If they use a Little “No”
, they run the risk of Alice not hearing them and knocking it over. If they use a Big "NO!"
, they might accidentally startle Alice and actually cause her to knock it over
. So what do they do? They go "Nononononononononononononononononono..." until either she stops, or knocks it over, causing it to shatter into tiny pieces.
This is not usually effective, as half the time, Alice will ignore them. In Comedy
, the instances in which it does work are generally a Set Up to have the vase get smashed anyway, just after they were relieved that it wasn't broken. In Action
, however, Alice is more inclined to listen to them, but may sometimes choose to do it anyway
Essentially, this is to the Big "NO!"
what the Cluster F-Bomb
is to the Atomic F-Bomb
open/close all folders
- When the MythBusters took on claims that a tattoo would explode in an MRI, Kari and Tory suggested that Scottie should get some super-metallic ink added to her arm before going into the machine, Scottie delivered one of these.
- Robin does this frequently on How I Met Your Mother. At one point, she answers the suggestion that she's dating Barney with sixteen nos.
- In the Gag Reel, it is Thirty Two nos in a row.
- In Doctor Who, this is one of the Tenth Doctor's Catch Phrases.
- Almost cliché with victims in murder scenes.
- Dr. Cox on Scrubs has done this multiple times, out of anger.
- Michael on The Office when Toby returns.
- Practically ubiquitous in Friends. Every one of the main characters has done it at least once, and many of them multiple times.
- Also, Jim from the The Vicar of Dibley. This is usually a Verbal Tic but occasionally played straight.
- Persona 4: Chie has more than a few when Yukiko is up to something.
- In Portal 2, GLaDOS reacts this way when Wheatley attempts to initiate a core transfer.
- In Myst III: Exile, this is Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds Saavedro's Madness Mantra. It gets worse as the game progresses.
- Whenever you fail a mission in the first Destroy all Humans:
Pox: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO. Krypto, you incompetent buffoon.