Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 13 Earth Vs The Spider
Films watched: Speech: Using Your Voice (short) and Earth vs. The SpiderSpeech: Using Your Voice is an educational short about public speaking.
This episode contains these tropes:
- Big Eater: Tom complains that the spider keeps eating the opening credits.
- Continuity Nod: At one point, the spider eats a character who looks very similar to Dr. Erhardt (Dr. Forrester's previous aide, who had gotten brushed off with a simple "He's missing"). The crew immediately declares that this is where he wound up, and it is the last mention of him in the entire series (though oddly not the last time he'd be imitated during a theater segment).Joel: No, Dr. Erhardt, no! So that's what happened to him!Tom: Wow!Crow: (imitating Erhardt) Enjoy!
- Earlier, during the Invention Exchange, Joel expresses his disgust with the Mads. Dr. Forrester and Frank respond with a simultaneous "Thank you!" in the same way Forrester and Erhardt had done during the first season. Clay and Frank then uncomfortably stare at each other for a moment.
- And, of course, the return of a recurring season-one bit where Joel feeds the Bots RAM chips if they say good things about the movie.
- At the start of the Speech short, Crow huffily declares that "Posture Pals was the definitive last word on posture".
- As Mike walks behind the prominent movie poster for The Amazing Colossal Man:Crow: What kind of sin must a man commit in a single lifetime...
- When a "great movie" about puppet people is mentioned, the crew sigh affectionately along the lines of "Oh, Bert..."
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: While Mike and Carol are searching the cave for her Dad, Crow spots a very suspicious-looking stalactite and utters this line:
- Incredibly Lame Pun: The Mads' invention is a phone made of cheese...and Dr. Forrester announces that they're working on the "curdless" phone. Even Frank grimaces at that one.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Tom promises that no spiders were squashed, stomped on, flushed or suffered serious emotional trauma during the film. But one died from old age and two letters from doctors confirm it.
- Running Gag: This is where the saga of Crow's screenplay for Earth Vs. Soup started.
- Joel and the Bots constantly forgetting who Mike's father is.
- They also keep imitating the sheriff's derisive chuckle when he hears about the giant spider (though they do it for random comments).
- Stylistic Suck: In-universe Crow reeks of it.Joel: Crow, she's just going "no" for the next six pages!Crow: Do you think that's enough?
- With Lyrics: "Spider, spider! Spider, spider!"
"I said, "Mister", I said, "This (clears throat) this isn't your seat. You see I've been sittin' here a whole lot longer than you seem to think I have, as I think..."
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 08 Gamera Vs Gaos Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 93 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 19 War Of The Colossal Beast
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 12 Gamera Vs Guiron Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 14 Mighty Jack