Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 12 Gamera Vs Guiron
Film watched: Gamera Vs GuironThis is one of the nine Sandy Frank Japanese films originally used for a KTMA episode that was riffed again a few years later on Comedy Central.
The MST3K version provides examples of:
- Donut Mess with a Cop: Invoked by Joel when the kids fantasize about doughnuts.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: As usual with the bots.Elsa: When he comes back, I'll spank Tom. Twice even.Servo: (eagerly) I'm Tom, spank me!
- Incredibly Lame Pun: A full-on Hurricane of Puns in Gamera vs. Guiron.[Guiron chops one of Gaos' arm-wings off.]
Crow: All he's got is a wing and a prayer. He's really going out on a limb! He's winging it!
- In the Style of...: Michael Feinstein (played by Michael J. Nelson) treats us to a Cole Porter-esque piano version of Gamera's theme music at the end.
- Insistent Terminology: Joel gets more and more frustrated that they keep calling the planet that they're standing on a star.
- As mentioned on the movie recap page, this was because Sandy Frank couldn't be bothered to copyedit the script, which was a direct and slavish translation from the Japnese. In Japanese, "star" and "planet" are the same word.
- Lampshade The Obscure Reference: At one point, Tom says "Stop her, she stole Mike's keyboard!" Crow is puzzled, and Tom admits it's an obscure reference. (as explained in the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, this is referring to staff writer and future host Mike Nelson's girlfriend breaking up with him and stealing his keyboard)
- Memetic Mutation: Gamera's gymnastics became a part of MST3K's opening credits.
- Mondegreen: Joel and the 'bots insist on calling Kon-chan "Cornjob".
- Oh Crap!: When Gamera jams a missile into Guiron's head and sets it on fire.[Closeup of Guiron's face]
Crow: Oh, damn.
- Running Gags:
- Celebrity Resemblance: It's repeatedly noted that Tom from the film resembles a young Richard Burton. Gamera's resemblance to Karl Malden (especially his nose) is a Running Gag throughout all the Gamera episodes.
- "Hello! Thank you!" Joel and the 'Bots hit the ground running with that infamous scene. (Thank you!), and the jokes continue all the way through to the Gamera Vs Zigra episode. (Hello!) Bonus points for the riff of the end of the scene, when Tomoko appears in the back seat while Tom's mother is driving away.
- "What is the fascination with traffic accidents?!"
- The crew gets a lot of mileage out of the aliens in a Japanese film having a thick Texan accent.
- Take That: Servo calls Superboy "the crummiest show ever in first run syndication".
- With Lyrics: "We're gonna ride our bicycles / We're gonna go and have some fun..."
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 11 It Conquered The World Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 13 Earth Vs The Spider
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 20 The Unearthly Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 92 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 16 Fire Maidens From Outer Space