Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 16 Gamera Vs Zigra
Film watched: Gamera Vs ZigraThis is one of the nine Sandy Frank Japanese films originally used for a KTMA episode that was riffed again a few years later on Comedy Central.
The KTMA version provides examples of:
- Casting Gag: Servo mocks the way one character laughs by comparing it to Dr. Erhardt's laugh. Erhardt and Servo were both played by Josh Weinstein.
- Continuity Nod: Crow has finally thawed out from the previous episodes where he was frozen to be the SOL's Christmas tree.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Dr. Forrester and Dr. Erhardt could be seen during the show's opening theme song and occasionally as a still within the show, but they did not appear in person within the show itself until this episode averted this.
- Running Gag: Whenever Joel or Crow compares Zigra's ship to a gumball machine, Servo will immediately try to throw in something to make the comparison seem like a good thing.
- Stock Footage: Very Incredible Movie Theater 4 is actually footage from J Elvis' standup that was aired on the same night, but here as a Ruritanian comic.
The season three version provides examples of:
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The crew are amused by Gamera's xylophone skills.Joel: Gamera, known as "Bags" to his friends...
- Dance Party Ending: Something like that. In tribute to their final Gamera film, the crew each sing different versions of their already-existing version ("Gamera is really neat, Gamera is filled with meat, we are eating Gamera!") of the Gamera theme, ending with everyone singing a surprisingly affectionate send-off... and Clay and Frank promptly one-up them by doing it in hard rock.
- Interspecies Romance: Gamera is Helen's boyfriend during a host segment.
- In the Style of...: At the end of Gamera vs. Zigra, the SOL crew perform reggae, jazz, and hip-hop versions of the song.
- Running Gag: The constant referral of traffic accidents as a major contributor to society's ills.
- Shout-Out: Among many others, the old man in brown rags is compared to the hermit from Monty Python's Flying Circus.
- Take That: Many against Sandy Frank.Doctor:The brainwaves are not those of a normal human being, the activity seems to be reduced!
Crow: Oh, David Duke's brainwaves.
- Wild Teen Party: The SOL crew throw one at the beginning of the episode because this is the last Gamera movie they have to watch. Magic Voice inexplicably gets drunk on root beer.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 01 Girls Town Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 94 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 04 Zombie Nightmare
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 15 Teenage Caveman Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 17 Viking Women And The Sea Serpent