Examples with sub-pages:
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Live-Action TV
- Mythology & Religion
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
Examples without sub-pages:
open/close all folders
- Spuds McKenzie: what a playah! What a dog playah! What a dog playah with human girlfriends...er...right.
- The "twist ending" to an AirWick air-freshener commercial is that the talking elephant housewife's husband is a many-stinky-shoed centipede. Pairings in other ad campaigns include chimpanzee-skunk, giraffe-boar and penguin-bear. The last one's sons are pigs.
- Fruit By The Foot has a commercial with a female lizard getting attracted to a young human male after mistaking the long strip of gum stretching from his mouth for a prehensile tongue.
- Pretty much all of the Orangina ads, but especially the big musical number with the bear and the deer.
- This ad and this ad imply that the Kia Soul hamsters find human women attractive.
- There's a commercial for a Dora the Explorer mermaid Dora toy, which shows a mermaid girl whose mother is a human and father is a giant fish.
- This ad for the Bank of Queensland pairs a human hunter with a deer.
- Direct TV's ads feature a man married to a human-sized living marionette. They even have a son.
- Commercials for Sprint's Framily plan show Judy Greer married to a hamster. They have three kids: a man (played by Kyle Mooney who's only nine years younger than Greer), a southern boy, and a French girl.
- Parodied by this shirt.
- In Guardian Fairy Michel, Sir Brown the fairy fell in love with a human princess. Thanks to a war, it never worked out.
- Ciel The Last Autumn Story has the godlike-Arc Dragon in human form Krohiten and mortal human Carola. Which ends up killing Carola due to the strain of the eventual pregnancy. And then, because Krohiten is kind of an emotionally-compromised god, he ends up in another one with Yvienne.
- 'Star Girl' by Mc Fly was about an interspecies romance between a human and an alien. According to Tom Fletcher, the song was based on a dream he had where he romanced an alien woman.
- In CNR by "Weird Al" Yankovic, one of Charles Nelson Reilly's many accomplishments was making sweet, sweet love to a manatee.
- 'Interspecies Love' by Kevin Blechdom. Aliens again.
- "My Beloved Monster" by Eels.
- 'Herr Mannelig'. She's a mountain troll. Though the 'romance' in this case is pretty one-sided.
- Sadly, parental disapproval averted Herman's and Sally's inter-crustacean romance in the Smothers Brothers' comedy song "Crabs Walk Sideways".
- From Whose Line Is It Anyway?, there's the song "Bubbles", which was made up one-word-at-a-time and is about a man romancing a sea monster.
- "Fish and Bird", by Tom Waits, tells the story of two Star-Crossed Lovers: a bird and a whale. As ridiculous as the premise sounds, it still manages to be deeply sad.
- Orangutan/human in Megadeth's "Public Enemy Nº 1" video (implied).
- The music video for the song "Close But No Cigar" by "Weird Al" Yankovic is all about this. It was made by John Kricfalusi, so it's not surprising...
- The music video of "Opposites Attract" has Paula Adbul dancing with and romancing a cartoon cat named M.C. Scat Cat
- "E.T." by Katy Perry and Kanye West. The video begins with the song "Where in the World Can My Lover Be?" by Midge Williams & Her Jazz Jesters playing in the background. As the music begins, Kanye is shown in a spacecraft revealing pictures before zooming out of the craft. In the video, Perry, as an "alien", drifts through outer space before landing on an abandoned Earth covered with litter. Clips are interspersed of large felids hunting game. She comes across a broken robot (resembling a spaceman), which turns into a naked male, played by Shaun Ross upon her kiss. It is eventually revealed Perry's legs are in fact those of a gazelle. Meanwhile, West is featured in the video floating in a traveling spacecraft.
- "Runaway" is a 35-minute short film (it serves as the music video for a compilation of songs from West's album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy") directed by Kanye West. The film depicts a romantic relationship between a man and a half-woman, half-phoenix, and is set to music by West from his album.
- The second version of the music video for "Bad Boy" by Miami Sound Machine, which features the cast of Cats in their cat costumes, one of them getting really cuddly with Gloria Estefan's character (who's human, though she sports a cat tail at the end of the video).
- The music video for "Peacebone" by the experimental rock group Animal Collective shows a blossoming romance between a human woman and.. something else.
- In the music video for Spectrum by ZEDD, a man meets and falls in love with an alien woman whose spaceship appears in front of his house and leaves her there.
- I'm In Love With a Monster by Fifth Harmony.
- In NHK's Minna no Uta, the music video Tanishi-chan, which played in NHK television channels in February and March 1986, is about an anthropomorphic pond loach and snail who are in love with each other, despite loaches preying on snails.
- "Yeti" by Bad Lip Reading details a romance between the titular yeti and Chris Martin from Coldplay, which seemingly ended in a tearful breakup after they had an argument about the yeti getting too fat.
- Chicken Minute, a canadian show from the 90s, featured Minute, a fox, being in love with Chicken Mama, a hen with whom he even lives.
- The Muppets has Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy.
Kermit: Me? In love with a pig? Wait 'til I tell the guys in marketing! Ha ha! Maybe you expected me to go HOG-wild? Perhaps you could bring home the BACON! Ahhh... the sounds of love, SU-EEEEE! Oink, oink.
- Also, Gonzo, whose species was unknown at the time but is now said to be some kind of alien has an attraction to birds, especially chickens, and in one case, a cow.
- Also, in one episode he was infatuated with Madeline Khan, a human.
- And in the cartoon spin-off, Muppet Babies, he's in love with Piggy. Camilla, is, alas, just a stuffed toy in that version.
- The Muppets Take Manhattan contained this exchange:
Brooke Shields: Is something wrong?
Masterson Rat: Do you believe in interspecies dating?
Brooke Shields: Well, I've dated some rats before, if that's what you mean.
- It got weirder in Muppet Treasure Island. Benjamina Gunn (Miss Piggy) apparently had relationships with the humans Captain Flint and Long John Silver, the former of whom abandoned her on the island after their relationship ended. Her former fiance Captain Smollett (Kermit) seemed disturbed by this revelation, but it may have been more because of her promiscuity than the interspecies aspect.
- Piggy's been known to throw herself at hunky male humans on The Muppet Show before. Christopher Reeve comes to mind. Also Patrick Wilson, drummer for Weezer, in the "Keep Fishing" video. Neither one reciprocated.
- Charles Grodin, however, was quite enamoured with her in The Great Muppet Caper. As was John Ritter in The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show.
- In the 2015 series The Muppets, Kermit and Piggy have split up, and Kermit is dating another pig named Denise, who works in marketing. Miss Piggy meanwhile, is again attaching herself to human guest stars. And Fozzie has a human girlfriend whose parents are a bit freaked out.
- The Henson Alternate pilot Tinseltown was about Bobby Vegan, a pig, and his life-partner Samson Knight, a bull.
- Bleak Expectations: Considered, though mercifully never attempted, by Mister Benevolent and Harry Biscuit in regards to Juanita Hotchille, a Spicy Latina who has wound up in the body of a dinosaur, which has done nothing to decrease her sex-appeal.
Mr. Benevolent: She's a Dinosaur. Wouldn't it be wrong?Harry Biscuit: I've asked myself the same thing.
- Bat Boy: The Musical features a romance between the Bat Boy (Edgar), and Shelley. This is encouraged by the Demi-God Pan, in the midst of a rather-large, MUSICAL, inter-species orgy.
- Avenue Q gives us Princeton (a human/puppet) and Kate Monster (a monster/puppet)
- Umbridge (an extremely strong human woman) and Firenze (a centaur) from A Very Potter Sequel.
- Seussical has Horton the Elephant and Gertrude McFuzz, a bird.
- The Team StarKid play Starship has an alien bug/human romance, as well as a human/robot one.
- The origins of the Furude family in Higurashi: When They Cry stem from a marriage between a human and a demon (Hanyuu). Note: Hanyuu was older than the form seen in the 7th and 8th novels during said marriage.
- Hatoful Boyfriend is a Dating Sim, like many others, where your character tries to romance cute guys. Only this time, replace "cute guys" with "photo-realistic pigeons". To help players identify with the characters, there is an option for the intro scene of each love interest to show an image what he would look like as a human (answer: Bishounen). However, it is made clear that the birds really are birds, and this is just a visual Translation Convention.
- Dra Koi is a love story between a nameless protagonist and a dragon who similarly has no name. She picked him out as the one who would slay her, a choice he can reject.
- Taken pretty seriously with the noted titles of Kanon and CLANNAD by Key/Visual Arts. Both scenarios are demonstrated in a rather Tear Jerker route following the Beautiful All Along path, except... just replace beautiful with animal.
- DRAMAtical Murder has one between Aoba and Clear, an android.
- In Shall We Date?: Angel or Devil, Akane is engaged in a romantic relationship with either an angel, a demon, or a reaper.
- In Shall We Date?: Blood In Roses, Mina, a witch who will turn into a vampire, is involved with either a vampire or a werewolf.
- Her ancestor, Tatiana, was in love with the father of vampires, Harold.
- There she is!!, in which a female rabbit falls in love with a male cat. The interspecies part of their relationship plays a big role in the plot: Such romances are extremely frowned upon in their societies (a metaphor for the strained relationship of Japan and Korea).
- Happy Tree Friends: Considering that most of the characters are different species, this was inevitable. The Official Couples are Cuddles (a rabbit)/Giggles (a chipmunk) and Handy (a beaver)/Petunia (a skunk).
- In Bowser's Kingdom episode 8, Steve the Piranha Plant fell in love with a Dino Rhino (with a bow and lipstick). The Dino Piranha was the resulting lovechild.
Jeff: How did you even do that?Steve: Oh I don't know I was drunk.
- In the episode Typomaniac Vol. 1 of Starters, Chikoria thinks that Chespin and Fenniken are dating and begin to laugh at them for that.