"Come on, shake your body baby, do the conga
I know you can't control yourself any longer
Feel the rhythm of the music getting stronger
Don't you fight it 'til you tried it, do that conga beat"
(b. Gloria Fajardo in 1957) is a Cuba
n-born American singer, songwriter and entrepreneur. She has sold over 100 million records worldwide and is Latin music's most successful crossover performer. She is best known for her song "Conga."
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Tropes get in the way":
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Bad Boys," of course.
- American Football: She and her husband Emilio became in June 2009 the first Hispanics to buy a minority ownership stake in an NFL team, namely, the Miami Dolphins.
- Christmas Songs: 1993's Christmas Through Your Eyes
- Cover Album: 1994's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
- Dance Sensation: "Conga," of course.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Nearly left paralyzed by a bus crash in 1990.
- Grasp the Sun: "Reach," her song for the 1996 Olympic Games.
- Greatest Hits Album: Several. Her first was 1990's all-Spanish Exitos De Gloria Estefan. Her first in English was 1992's Greatest Hits.
- Miami: Well, yes. It was in her band's name, after all.
- Not That Kind of Doctor: "Dr. Beat"
- As a Real Life example: She has honorary Doctorates in Music from Berklee College of Music and the University of Miami.
- Omniglot: Speaks Spanish, English and French. Has claimed that while she was working as a translator at Miami International Airport, the CIA once approached her about making her a spy.
- Record Producer: Emilio and the Jerks.
- Sesame Street Cred: Appeared on the 1998 Elmopalooza special.
- Silly Love Songs: MANY. "Words Get in the Way," "I Can't Stay Away From You," "1-2-3," etc.
- Spotlight Stealing Title: The group started as the Miami Sound Machine. Then it became Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine. Finally, the band's name disappeared altogether.