Music / Simple Plan
Simple Plan is a French-Canadian Pop Punk
/ Emo Pop
band from Montréal, Québec. Formed in 1999 by Chuck Comeau (Drums), Jeff Stinco (Lead Guitar) & Sébastien Lefebvre (Guitar), with Pierre Bouvier (Vocals) & David Desrosiers (Bass) joining later on, both leaving the band Reset to do so - Ironically, Comeau & Bouvier formed Reset, and Desrosiers joined the band as Bouvier's replacment following his departure.
- No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls (2002)
- Live in Japan 2002 (2003)
- Still Not Getting Any... (2004)
- MTV Hard Rock Live (2005)
- Simple Plan (2008)
- Get Your Heart On! (2011)
- Get Your Heart On - The Second Coming! (2013)
- Taking One for the Team (2016)
Simple Plan have shown examples of the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: The singer's father in "Perfect" is implied to have been verbally and emotionally abusive, having set impossibly high standards for his son and, judging from one set of lyrics, having said something to the singer that he can never forgive.
"Nothing's gonna change the things that you said.
And nothing's gonna make this right again."
- Broken Pedestal: From "Perfect":
"I try not to think about the pain I feel inside
Did you know you used to be my hero?
All the days you spent with me now seem so far away
And it feels like you don't care anymore."
- Butt Monkey: "God Must Hate Me" is written from the perspective of one.
- The Cameo:
- Patrick Langlois, a friend of the band, in all of their music videos up to "Save You".
- The cast of the live-action Scooby-Doo films appear in "I Don't Wanna Think About You"
- Perez Hilton in the video for "When I'm Gone".
- David Hasselhoff in the video for "I Don't Wanna Go To Bed".
- Fanservice: The video for "I Don't Wanna Go To Bed" is a Shout-Out to Baywatch, so it fittingly features the band shirtless for the majority of the video & numerous shots of women in swimsuits.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- The first line in "Addicted"
"I'm a dick, I'm a-dic-ted to you"
- Growing Up Sucks: Main theme in songs like "I'm Just A Kid".
- I Just Want to Be Special: "Ordinary Life"
- Interspecies Romance: "My Alien"
- Long Runner Line Up: Type 1, the same line-up since 1999.
- Mood Whiplash:
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Averted; David receives a similar reaction from girls to what lead singer Pierre does.
- Precision F-Strike:
- In the unedited version of "Your Love Is A Lie" - The edited version replaces it with "touched"
And did you think about me when he fucked you?
- When performing "You Suck At Love" in concert - The recorded version covers it up with a "Woah"
Yeah, you were such an awesome fuck,
But you suck at love
- The video for "I Don't Wanna Think About You" opens & closes in the same manner that every episode of 24 would, and features the band chasing the Mystery Machine. Considering the song was recorded for the soundtrack to Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, it's not as absurd as it first seems.
- "Saturday" quotes Journey's song "Don't Stop Believing".
- The video for "I Don't Wanna Go To Bed" is one to Baywatch, with the band dressed in the iconic costumes from the show & numerous shots from the show's opening titles recreated exactly.
- The entire music video to "Singing in the Rain" seems to be one towards TheBeatles, as it has the band paralleling a lot of the history of The Beatles. It's set in The 60s (having a lot of fashions, set pieces, & technologies on display), there's a cover to the drums that says "The Simple Plan", the band has 2 guitarists, one bassist, & 1 drummer, the bass used is a Höfner, their first album is like the rerelease CD cases from 2009/vinyl cases, the band reaches a level of popularity similar to The Beatles, they're dressed in suits similar to The Beatles' suits from the first half of The 60s, they're performing on a stage reminiscent of The Ed Sullivan Show, there's a lot of tabloid headlines that seem to parody ones linked to The Beatles, & the band has a split like The Beatles ultimately did.
- Special Guest:
- Mark Hoppus on "I'd Do Anything"
- Joel Madden on "You Don't Mean Anything"
- Rivers Cuomo on "Can't Keep My Hands Off You"
- Natasha Bedingfield, Marie-Mai, Kelly Cha & Tantri of Kotak on various versions of "Jet Lag"
- K'naan, Sean Paul, MKTO & Taka of One OK Rock on various versions of "Summer Paradise"
- Alex Gaskarth on "Freaking Me Out"
- Nelly on "I Don't Wanna Go To Bed"
- Jordan Pundik on "Farwell"
- R. City on "Singing In The Rain"
- Juliet Simms on "I Dream About You"
- Trash the Set: "Addicted" features the band destroying an apartment, through the power of rock.
- "Untitled" Title: "Untitled" from Still Not Getting Any... although it was later retitled "Untitled (How Could This Happen To Me?)" because people would Refrain from Assuming.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: "Perfect".
- Your Cheating Heart: "Your Love Is A Lie" is directed towards a cheating lover.