Her faith and innocent eyes
Get up, stand up, what you waiting for
Delta Lea Goodrem was born on 9 November 1984. She is an Australian singer/songwriter and pianist. She also acted in a movie called Hating Alison Ashley
and played the role of Nina Tucker on the Australian soap Neighbours
. She has done two Australian month long tours, Visualise
(2005), Believe Again
(2009) and one 2 week, album release, half tour, called An Evening With Delta Goodrem:The Top Of My World Shows
When signed to Sony, at the age of 15, she first tried to take advantage of the pop explosion, in 2001, with a single called "I Don't Care". This didn't take off as planned and underachieved compared to all singles afterwards.
However, her first album proper, Innocent Eyes
, signified a completely different musical direction, an acoustic personal contemporary singer songwriter direction, with help of Kara Dioguardi (Hilary Duff
, Ashlee Simpson
), Gary Barlow, Matthew Gerrard (Jessica Simpson
, Jesse Mc Cartney
), and her friend Vince Pizzinga. It went 14 times platinum in 2003/2004, with five #1 singles, "Not Me Not I", "Predictable", "Born To Try", "Innocent Eyes" and "Lost Without You". The theme of this album was "coming of age" and growing up and getting your heart broken but still remaining positive.
Mistaken Identity (2004), five times platinum, followed this album, where she worked with Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams
), Cathy Dennis (Christina Aguilera
, Britney Spears
), Billy Man (P!nk
, The Veronicas
) and her friend Vince Pazzinga with hit songs "Out Of The Blue", "Be Strong", "Mistaken Identity" and "A Little Too Late". She also did her first major tour the "Visualise Tour" which was one of the highest selling Arena tours for a local artist in Australia. She said her theme this album was "Weather" and "nature". This showed in the stage show, which focused on a night time feel and it was her first real show and tour. She also launched Lost Without You in America and Flawed in Asia.
She then took awhile to do her album Delta (2007) which she did mostly with her ex fiance, Brian Mcfadden
. This album featured the hit singles "In This Life", "Believe Again", "You Will Only Break My Heart" and " I Can't Break It To My Heart". She took this album to America for 5 weeks.
She's now releasing her fourth album, world wide, partially with her friend Nick Jonas
. She also worked with Gary Clark (Demi Lovato
, Mc Fly
), John Shanks (Hilary Duff
, Lindsay Lohan
), her buddy Vince Pizzinga and Livvi Franc. The single "Sitting On Top Of the World" came out March 2012. Which was super successful. "Dancing With A Broken Heart", the second single was released, and was a mixed success, followed by "Wish You Were Here", which was a huge success. "Child Of the Universe" the album came out soon after. The theme of this album was taking back control and making big moves to change your destiny. She also proceeded to release a Christmas EP, her apparent "First" of many planned ones to make up for the lost time between Delta 07 and Child of the Universe for her fans. She then released Heart Hypnotic and Innocent Eyes 10 Year edition for her fans in 2013 and then released "Love Thy Will Be Done", in late 2014, continuing her giving her fans things as a thanks for being patient between 07 and Child Of The Universe.
She is currently a judge/mentor on the Australian version of The Voice.
In 2014 she became part of The Voice Kids Australia, in a judge/mentor/backer/coach. She mentored the winner of The Voice Jr/Kids and Alexa won. She also spent the time since early 2013 writing and recording her fifth album and third attempt at America, due 2015. She may also head back to England/Europe in 2017.
Discography and Releases
- I Don't Care Single (November 2001)
- Innocent Eyes (March 2003)
- Delta (Also Named Innocent Eyes) DVD (October 2003)
- Mistaken Identity (November 2004)
- Visualise Tour DVD (November 2005)
- Together We Are One (April 2006)
- Innocent Eyes Japan Compliation (July 2006) note
- Delta (October 2007)
- Delta America (July 2008) note
- Believe Again Tour DVD/CD (Sept 2009)
- Child Of The Universe (October 2012)
- Child Of The Universe Acoustic (November 2012)
- Christmas EP (December 2012)
- Heart Hypnotic single (June 2013)
- Innocent Eyes 10 Year Anniversary Acoustic CD/DVD (December 2013)
- Love Thy Will Be Done (September 2014)
- Age Progression Song: In This Life (15, 22, 25) Innocent Eyes (7, 15, 17), Touch (13-27) and others.
- Album Title Drop: Her first two albums.
It's a terrible case of mistaken identity
- Album Filler: Most of her fans take away from the Delta 07 experiment is that the good songs are really good, whichever they may be for the listener personally, BUT, BUT, there are always at least 3 songs the album could do without...at least 3 up to about 6 deletable tracks.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "I Don't Care", "Beautiful Madness", have this implication and virtually all the boyfriends and fiances' she has had up to but not including Nick Jonas.
- Subverted in songs like Alcohol, I Lost All Love 4 U and Control, which kind of point out good reasons not to pick "bad boys".
- Audience Participation Song: You Will Only Break My Heart, Sitting On Top Of the World, Innocent Eyes, A Little Too Late, Touch all by design!
- Author Vocabulary Calendar / Verbal Tic: Delta Goodrem is extremely fond of a couple of phrases/words:
- Loves the word "Journey" like you wouldn't believe, also everything is a "Chapter" and her sign off is "Love + Light".
- Virtually any "love everybody, love thyself, be yourself, be happy, be positive, spread joy" based thought she has said multiple times.
- Additionally she's a bit believer in "Fate" and "The Right Moment" sometimes for the betterment of her career, sometimes for the worst. Every section of her life/live show is "World".
- She also ALWAYS needs "time to heal" and "Be away from the spotlight for a little bit".
- Her third self titled album was going to be called "Conditions Of A Heart", it had two tracks on it with Broke/Break and Heart in them (I Can't Break It To My Heart, You Will Only Break My Heart) and a b-side to her Delta album also featured the word "Heart" (Right Here In My Heart). 4 of her singles has had the word "Heart" in them (Heart Hypnotic). She has also used Break/broken in 3 of those 6 single titles. (I Can't Break It To My Heart, Dancing With A Broken Heart, You Will Only Break My Heart)
- Breakup Song: "Not Me Not I", "Throw It Away", "Lost Without You", "Silence Be Heard", "Predictable", "My Big Mistake", "Flawed", "Dancing With A Broken Heart", "Control", "I Lost All Love 4 U", "Alcohol", and others.
- Briefer Than They Think: Despite how she brought Singer-Songwriters back into popularity in Australia, she's only had four albums out in almost ten years.
- Be Yourself: "The Riddle" "This Is Not Me", "In My Own Time", "Running Away", "Mistaken Identity", "Nobody Listened", "Here I Am (Piano Cello Version)", "Here I Am", "Flawed", "Daughter", "A Little Too Late", "Safe to Believe", "Child Of the Universe", "Breathe In, Breathe Out", "Disorientated", "Flawed", "Running Away", "Touch", "Waiting For Forever", "Uncovered". ... and some other tracks from her first, second and fourth album.
- Bare Your Midriff: During the second sequence of her first tour.
- Badass Boast: "When My Stars Come Out", "Knocked Out", "Hunters And The Wolves", "The Riddle", "I Lost All Love 4 You"
- B-Side: Most of her singles feature b-sides and it's easier to mention the ones which don't.
- Break the Cutie: It's not hard to find times when she is hated for no other reason then being a sweet and kind woman who wants to give her all to the world, despite the fact she hasn't always had the best people around her to enable her to give her all like she so wants too.
- Broken Aesop: "sometimes you have to sacrifice the things you like", in "Born To Try". She has to have breaks/holidays, for two years, between each era instead of following her path to world wide success. Kind of confusing she say you have sacrifice things you like, like romance and holidays to get further in life, but she insists on never following this guideline.
- Continued with her song called Knocked Out which has such lines as: "There's always something in the way if you let it stop you" and most Delta fans are used to SOMETHING going wrong and delayed her plans by months if not years!
- Blatant Lies: Many Many MANY times leading up to the eventual release of Child of The Universe due to a combination of romantic disaster, Executive Meddling, Development Hell and various other things going wrong.
- Insisted many times during the release of Delta that she genuinely loved all the songs on the album and that they were a part of her. Recent revelations have people doubting any thing she said during that era due to implications on her Child Of the Universe record she was being manipulated into making insincere artistic decisions.
- Butterfly of Doom: in "Touch"
I'm like a butterfly that moves it’s wings/There’s a storm happening somewhere
- Call Back:
- "Lost Without You" is mentioned in "A Little Too Late".
- "A Little Too Late" video has a jamming with friends vibe, just like "Lost Without You" did
- "Sitting On Top of The World" features a lyrical shout out to "Together We Are One". The song also features the "oooh oooh oooh"'s after the finale which happened in "Believe Again".
- "Sitting On Top the World" music video also has visual tributes/gags/references to "A Little Too Late" (Fun group dancing, hanging with friends vibe, sad ending), "In This Life" (Fashion focused music video, Bridget Bardot Look, change in shade after third verse,)and "Out Of the Blue" (Standing up by a piano playing it instead of sitting, outside overt symbolism over joyous occasioning).
- Dancing With A Broken Heart video has a whole scene referring to a scene,in her video for "Believe Again", where she wears a similar black ripped dress right near dark dank water but arising from it.
- "born to try and try and try again" in Without Words
- Help me to "Believe Again" in RISE.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Her fans often note how she can say something, but not really go through with it, for whatever reasons, she's also VERY into spirits and ghosts and angels and definitely lives in her own world most of the time.
- The Casanova: Promises to become this or Femme Fatale in "Hunters and The Wolves"
- Canon Discontinuity / Retcon: Her debut single "I Don't Care" was retconned from Delta's past for a good couple of years. However, it was in the setlist for the Visualise Tour before being forgotten once again. Child Of The Universe was forgotten after a month of promotion.
- Careful With That Axe: Used towards the end of "Nobody Listened". A heavy feature in "Waiting For Forever", "Control", "Alcohol" and "Hunters and The Wolves".
- Celebrity Endorsement: Quite frequently, Pepsi used her in 2004 in Australia. She had her own underwear line in 2005-2007. She then endorsed, Proactive, So Good, Sunsilk, Nintendo Wii in 2008-2010. Weetbix used her once or twice. Newest brand to use her star power is "Swisse". She was also a part of some Australian Tourism adverts. Oral-B took her on in 2013.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: While in Bali, one time, with her co-writer Nick, there are some photo's which look rather untoward and sexy for both of them.
- Christmas Songs: Did a Christmas concert for her fans and also played parts in various televised Christmas shows in Australia. She is now working on doing a Christmas EP and making it a often thing.
- Coming-of-Age Story: "Touch" definitely goes through her life up to this point. "Innocent Eyes" was also this in her first album.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Confessed to actually using these during her cancer ordeal.
- Concept Album: "Innocent Eyes" was about her being young and learning from her mistakes.
- "Mistaken Identity" was her dealing with her cancer and the social and relationship problems which followed it
- "Delta" was her experimenting with sounds and vocal styles
- "Child Of the Universe": The will to survive against adversity and that we are all connected and can change the world.
- Cover Version: You Can Leave Your Hat On, Edge Of Seventeen, Black Velvet, Burn For You, That's Freedom, Sweet Dreams, Queen Of The Night, Love Thy Will Be Done, Stay, Kissing You.
- Darker and Edgier: Mistaken Identity is this to both Innocent Eyes and "Delta"
- Child Of The Universe is this to Delta 07.g It has a theme of just surviving certain situations and taking back control in an abusive relationship.
- Dedication: Be Strong is dedicated to her friend Belinda Emmett, Wish You Were Here is dedicated to her passed over friend Liam and Angels In The Room is dedicated to her fans.
- Deadpan Snarker: I Lost All Love 4 You is all this!
- Does Not Like Shoes: When she performs, especially at the piano, she always goes bare foot.
- The music video for "Lost Without You" makes a point to show us this
- Did You Think I Can't Feel??: "I think people still have to remember that. I’m still human – I can’t not feel. I’m learning. It’s a new chapter. I think that’s all I can do.” In a recent interview.
- The Determinator: On her best friends birthday, after he passed she decided the day wasn't going to end without the PERFECT song dedicated to his life and his unfortunate passing on.
- Worked pretty hard in making her IE, MI and Child Of the Universe albums accurately true to her feelings at those times.
- In one particular circumstance she burnt herself, badly before doing a performance and instead of cancelling it she showed up and did half of it and she had to be almost passed out to partially cancel it and still went on to do the promo' she had booked before hand and did the rest of the tour the next week.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Guy Sebastian.
- Duet Bonding: How she got together with Brian Mcfadden.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Her 'experiments' with pop with "I Don't Care" and the original version of "A Year Ago Today" as this to fans of her initially. The majority of her music lacks this element.
- Epic Instrumental Opener: "Believe Again" features 42 second introduction, mostly done with a symphony.
- Extraordinary Day also features a 30 second introduction.
- Era-Specific Personality: She seems to have two, her "Delta Goodrem" singer-songwriter persona, which is very honest and soulful (Present album 1,2 and 4) and her "Delta" popstar persona, complete with Céline Dion-esque Melismatic Vocals and slightly less personal lyrical/song choices. (Album 3)
- Fangirl: Apparently has a thing for Miley Cyrus (One of the reasons she was so glad to work with Nick), Céline Dion (Freaked out when her song got picked for a Celine album) and Bali (The first place she goes when she gets a new boyfriend)
- Fan Nick Name: Her third Self-Titled Album is nicknamed "Believe Again" within her fandom.
- Fragile Flower: During her MI era she was this. Also has a song called "Fragile".
- Follow Your Heart: "Born To Try", "Here I Am (Piano Cello Version)", "This Is Not Me", "In My Own Time", "The Riddle" "A Little Too Late", "Mistaken Identity", "Disorientated", "Flawed", "Running Away", "Touch", "Daughter", "Waiting For Forever", "I Lost Love 4 U", "Uncovered", "War On Love", "Speed Of Life", "Control".
- Gratuitous Panning: During the piano solo in Innocent Eyes on the album of the same name to confuse the listener.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She uses this as motivation for "Hunters And The Wolves". This song notes her beauty and how many men want her now.
Now that I’m free
Let the wolves come and get me
- Genki Girl: She can barely keep within her seat during interviews. She also has a cheery, perky, angelic spirit while meeting fans.
- Get On With It Already: "Believe Again" Has an minute long introduction and outroduction.
- Grief Song: A Year Ago Today, "Wish You Were Here".
- Growing Up Sucks: "Innocent Eyes" falls into this. "Touch" also falls into this.
- Genre Roulette: Her third album was her experimental record and had Rnb (You Will Only Break My Heart, Possessionless), country (Woman), rock (One Day) and spiritual music (Angels In The Room) moments, tributes and songs.
- Attempted more thematically on Child Of the Universe, with some big band elements (Hypnotized, When My Stars Come Out), early pop (Hypnotized, Child of the Universe), rock (Touch, Alcohol), 90's pop (Child Of the Universe, Speed Of Life), Kate Bush (Hunters And the Wolves, Dancing With A Broken Heart) and Lana Del Rey (Control, Touch) moments.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: Used for dramatic purposes in Extraordinary Day
- Heroic RROD: This is how the days before she got cancer are explained to have been in her Woman's Weekly magazine interview in 2004 and her "Delta" 2003 DVD backs up her over work hurt her body idea.
- Hidden Depths: Appears to be a pretty good ballet dancer according to her "Delta" DVD....and, Dancing With A Broken Heart video.
- Hotter and Sexier: She's always kept her more sexual tracks as b-sides (How A Dream Looks, Fever, Take Me Home, for examples) all the way up to "Child Of The Universe" which has "Hunters And The Wolves", "Rise", "Hypnotized", "Safe To Believe" and "Speed Of Life" all which mention her actual reality being a sexual woman on some level. Personal growth...Also she started dressing sexier for the masses, wearing shoes which say "Sex" for example, instead of just her fans/her now former fiance just before that era officially started, on The Voice, in general her confidence in her sexuality went way up around the time Brian left.
- Idiosyncratic Album Theming: She is not fond of smiling on her Album Covers. She always opens her albums on a positive note, both single wise and tracklist wise, with a dose of empowerment too.
- I Am You And You Are Me: Said word for word in "Fortune and Love".
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Falls into this time to time still not committing any widely acknowledged social or career bad moves, her problem is that people can't believe someone can be that kind.
- She also wears a lot of white all the time to exaggerate her innocence.
- Also disowns all negative emotions and moments ever, which is a form of this trope.
- The Ingenue: Related to Incorruptible Pure Pureness she barely admits fault or wrongness.
- The Insomniac: Descussed in "The Analyst"
"prepare yourselves to meet, the girl who cannot sleep"
- Important Haircut: Shaved all her hair off on impulse before the ARIA's in 2003...This was during her chemo treatment and her hair was falling out anyway.
- She eventually cut her hair when she was 27/28 to show personal growth and control in herself.
- Intercourse with You: "Take Me Home", "Fever", "How A Dream Looks", "I Feel You", "Hunters and The Wolves", "Safe To Believe", "Rise", "Hypnotized".
- Lighter and Softer: Her New Sound Album "Delta" is this to Mistaken Identity.
- Lonely Piano Piece: "Fragile" and "Will You Fall For Me".
- Love Nostalgia Song: "I Can't Break It To My Heart", Lost Without You, "I'm Not Ready"
- Love Will Lead You Back: I Can't Break It To My Heart
If I still believe you love me
Maybe I'll survive
So I tell myself you're coming home
Like you've done a million times
And if it's alright
I'll still be loving you
'Cause I can't break it to my heart
- Long Title: "Will You Fall For Me", "I Can't Break It To My Heart", "You Will Only Break My Heart", "Right Here In My Heart", "Sitting On Top Of the World", "Dancing With A Broken Heart", "When My Stars Come Out", "Hunters And The Wolves", "I Lost All Love 4 You".
- Lyrical Dissonance: "God Laughs", "Knocked Out", "I Lost All Love 4 You".
- Lyrical Cold Open: "Innocent Eyes".
- Lyrical Tic: When it doubt put an "AH/EH" in; Waiting For Forever, Believe Again, Dancing With A Broken Heart, Touch, Sitting On Top Of the World, One Day, and Angels In The Room.
- Music Box Intervals: "Daughter" opens like this and then uses those intervals as the strings later on in the song.
- The Masochism Tango: Heavily implied in some lyrics in "Child Of the Universe", in songs such as "Control", "I Lost All Love 4 You", "I'm Not Ready" and "Alcohol".
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: As far as who she plays on stage to who she is in real life. She plays at mean teasing snarker when on stage with her band and dancers, but in real life is apparently a sweetheart who always makes time for her fans and is always really close to her band, especially her musical director Rich Sanford.
- Mood Whiplash: Going 14 times platinum/Diagnosed with cancer in the same year
- Mistaken Identity Album: Extraordinary Day then A Little Too Late, actually most of the album is quiet whiplashing.
- Child Of the Universe has dark and acoustic I Lost All Love 4 You before the show tune of "When My Stars Come Out".
- Motor Mouth: "Hunter And The Wolves", "I Lost All Love 4 You"
- Melismatic Vocals: Uses it on her "Innocent Eyes" era live, effectively.
- Medley: A couple over the years by tour:
- Top Of My World Shows: Child Of the Universe/Sitting On Top Of the World/Born To Try, Bare Hands/Throw It Away, Out Of The Blue/Be Strong, Innocent Eyes/Mistaken Identity, Hunters And The Wolves/Dancing With A Broken Heart/Light Night On Earth Not Me Not I/Child Of the Unvierse
- Visualise: I Feel The Earth Move/I Don't Care/Are You Gonna Be My Girl,
- Believe Again: "Together We Are One Day" (a mash-up of "Together We Are One" and "One Day").
- Madigrasland: Born To Try/Lost Without You/Predictable/Sitting On Top Of The World/Child Of The Universe
- Mundane Made Awesome: her advert for The Voice Australia defines this trope, it's one of the four talent shows on in Australia right now, and only just starting at that. They use over the top symphonies and slow motion replays of the coach/judges doing...things which are extremely boring.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Did this to her former main musical director and guitarist Rich Sanford at her Believe Again tour.
- New Sound Album: "Delta" is rather pop compared to her other albums, also takes away the classical piano to an extent. She uses songs from very far outside sources with styles like country ("Woman") and Céline Dion-like song writers ("The Guardian"), which contrasts to her rather close to the albums own sound songs she uses from other songwriters on her first and second albums, for example Throw It Away and Lost Without You both fit in Innocent Eyes well. Innocent Eyes and Mistaken Identity are also longer then this album. She also indulged in Celine Dion and rock like singing styles and techniques not prevalent on her previous albums. It also has country and R&B and rock influences not present on Mistaken Identity and Innocent Eyes. It ultimately is shorter then her usual albums too. It was her experimental album.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Or in Mistaken Identity's case: Contemporary classical piano focused jazz-pop rock, similar thing happened with "Child Of The Universe".
- Nice Girl: Has a good relationship with all of her fans, listens to their advice, is always giving money to charity, spends time in hospitals for the ill and generally has a kind spirit to those who meet/work with her, and has a very personable smiley persona to EVERYONE.
- Never My Fault: Took this as her mantra while dating Brian Mcfadden, the second he went she stated taking responsibility for her mistakes.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Among the co-coaches in "The Voice" Delta has had a ten year old career, with only four albums to her name and is only super famous/notable in Australia. The rest (Seal, Good Charlotte's Joel Madden of Good Charlotte, Ricky Martin and Keith Urban) have had at least 7 albums and have been around for 17 years, and are famous world wide.
- Performance Video : "Predictable", "Be Strong", "I Can't Break It To My Heart"
- Pimped-Out Dress: It'd be easier to dress out the times and performances she didn't pimp out or dress up her dresses.
- The Pollyanna: Enduring member of this trope during the era 2006-2011.
- Power of Friendship: "Sanctuary", "You Are My Rock", "Possessionless", "Angels In the Room", "Butterfly", "Together We Are One", "Turn You Away", "Butterfly", "A Little Too Late", "Hypnotized", "Rise", "Safe To Believe", "War On Love".
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: So! go! ahead!, take! her! to! your! bed!!! in "Alcohol". May! I! Remind! You!, Who! I Was! Before! YOOOOOOOOOOU! in "Control".
- Rapunzel Hair: She said when she lost her hair due to cancer treatment she lost some sort of protection around her and made sure to grow her hair long and blonde extra quick. Half way 2005 she almost had almost all her hair back and by the time Delta era happened she had it all back like nothing happened.
- Revenge: A good 6 tracks off her new album are written purely for revenge, and 3 b-sides/bonus tracks also apply. This is also features in her first two albums. The songs are: Not Me Not I, Throw It Away, Predictable, Nobody Listened, Miscommunication, Silence Be Heard, Hunters and the Wolves, I Lost All Love 4 You, Control, When My Stars Come Out, Knocked Out, Alcohol, No Communication, Waiting For Forever.
- Rearrange the Song: The album version of "Dancing With a Broken Heart" uses a different, much softer, better developed instrumental to the single mix. Also constantly through out her tours, remixing random songs together, putting caberet edges to classical songs.
- Real Soon Now: For over three years Delta's fourth album was coming in the next six months.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: 'Not Me Not I', 'Silence Be Heard', 'Nobody Listened', 'Throw It Away', 'You Will Only Break My Heart', Dancing With A Broken Heart, Alcohol, Hunters and The Wolves, Control, I Lost All Love 4 You.
- Refrain from Assuming: "Hypnotized" has "Deeper In Love" repeated A LOT!
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Had to be written out of Neighbours due to getting cancer. Rewrote Child Of the Universe three times due to various issues within her private life.
- Replacement Goldfish : Has two, at this point, since she took her break after the end of "Delta" era and that break has been long enough to build two separate woman's careers:
- Gabriella Cilmi — with a super successful single, praised vocals and lyrics and album which leads to a quick New Sound Album follow up which suffers hype backlash/aversion
- Vanessa Amorosi — Kiss Your Mama! relaunched her career as a singer songwriter and This Is Who I Am and it's album Hazardous is so much darker and edgier then the previous re-debut
- Sanity Slippage Song : "Nobody Listened", "Disorientated", "Running Away", "Waiting For Forever", "Dancing With A Broken Heart", "Mistaken Identity", "Extraordinary Day", "The Analyst", "War On Love", "Control","Daughter", "Dancing With A Broken Heart", "Speed Of Life", "Alcohol", "I Lost All Love 4 U"
- Sarcasm Mode: Invoked in the pitched up version of "Out of the Blue" at her Believe Again tour.
- Self-Titled Album: Her third album is this.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: One Day, Born To Try, Waiting For Forever, When My Stars Come Out, In My Own Time, Flawed and A Little Too Late.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Not Me Not I has her voice double tracked, amongst others.
- Spiritual Successor: Child Of the Universe is a superior follow up to many of themes and songs on "Mistaken Identity", "War On Love" deals with the pressure of having a love affair in the public eye, just like Electric Storm, "Speed Of Life" deals with her very deep thought processes sometimes and feel frightened of life, just like Fragile on Mistaken Identity, "Dancing With A Broken Heart" deals with dealing with people who were bad friends, as does Nobody Listened on Mistaken Identity. "Hunters And the Wolves" deals with finding freedom and being young/flirty just like A Little Too Late does on Mistaken Identity, and "Fever" does on Delta 07. ADDITIONALLY:"Touch" could be seen as a follow up to the themes on "Innocent Eyes".
- Spoken Word in Music: "Disoriented" to be strange on purpose.
- Often during live shows she'll point out how this song is her attempt to do RNB, or that this part in the Break down, or how she forgot the lyrics for this part of the song, or how weird she finds part of the process of performing or just general chit chat with either her band or her audience.
- Shout-Out: "Flawed" music video has a shout out to Alice in Wonderland and The Chronicles Of Narnia.
- "Dancing With A Broken Heart" has a couple of visual shout outs to Britney Spears and her video for Criminal.
- Strictly Formula: Open every era with a happy inspirational song, and then turn in some darker more epic, and more honest tracks for single number 2.
- Stage Mom: Her mother managed her for a couple of years 01-05 and this would explain her habit of Development Hell-ing her albums.
- Serial Romeo / In Love with Love / Boy Of the Week/ Serial Monogamy: Has not been single properly since she was 16. May have tapered out, since she got rid of Brian, but now she keeps that part of her life locked up from the public and to a degree her fans.
- Slut Shaming: In a recent interview stated that she was focusing on "Family friendliness" and "Wouldn't make her shows sexy" and "Didn't want to be that "Type" of artist" and "wouldn't involve any "sexy" songs on her albums" cuz she wants to keep that "Family friendly" audience, unlike Lady Gaga and Britney Spears.
- Subverted, "Slut" Praising at it were, in "Hunters And the Wolves" where she indicates she wants to get it on with a lot of men, if only for Revenge.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "I'm Not Ready" is the only real ballad on the Child Of the Universe album.
- Silly Love Songs: "Sitting On Top of the World", "Beautiful Madness", "Out Of The Blue", "If I Forget", "Right Here In My Heart", "Without Words", "Take Me Home", "Will You Fall For Me", "Longer", "Days Go By", "Sanctuary", "I'll Be Yours", "Rise", "Safe To Believe", "Hypnotized", "War On Love".
- Sub Dued Section: Sitting On Top Of the World, Possessionless and Touch amongst others.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Knocked Out is about a specific situation
- "There's only one way I can live and that's my way"
- "I know where I wanna go, that's up to me"
- "Might not be there you know but I will be"
- "There's always something in the way if you let it stop you"
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Implied in "Alcohol", "Control", "I'm Not Ready", "Predictable", "I Lost all Love 4 You" and others...
- Smarter Than You Look: Child Of The Universe comes from her educating herself on metaphysics and the song "Child Of The Universe" discusses how we are all connected.
- Third-Person Person: "The Analyst" is written in third person:
Prepare yourself to meet, the girl who cannot sleep,
Every twisted tongue, she studies everyone, she won't leave any stone unturned
- Uncovered also delves into this
"I found a girl inside of me
That I've been missing for so long"
I told her that I'd never leave".
- Safe To Believe also does this. "She felt like a secret, hiding behind closed doors"
- Title Only Chorus: "You Will Only Break My Heart".
- Title Track: First two albums and fourth album.
- Tall Poppy Syndrome / Hype Backlash: Got this from all sides when her Mistaken Identity album came out, after the immense success of Innocent Eyes.
- Take That: Told an interviewer that she felt trapped while with Brian McFadden and implied he was controlling and manipulative. Confirmed it later on during tracks like "Control" and "I Lost All Love 4 You"
- In a recent interview stated that she was focusing on "Family friendliness" and "Wouldn't make her shows sexy" and "Didn't want to be that "Type" of artist" and "wouldn't involve any "sexy" songs on her albums" cuz she wants to keep that "Family friendly" audience.
- Silence Be Heard (Ex boyfriend), Knocked Out (Australian media) Dancing With A Broken Heart (Ex entourage and fiance), Nobody Listened (Her entourage pre-cancer) and "This Is Not Me" (Her former management), Control, Alcohol, Hunters And The Wolves, Waiting For Forever, War On Love, I Lost All Love 4 You, Uncovered, No Communication, When My Stars Come Out (Ex fiance) but being a songwriter she does this a lot.
- Title Track: "Child of The Universe", "Mistaken Identity" and "Innocent Eyes".
- ...And That Little Girl Was Me: Invoked in Uncovered; "I found a girl inside of me/That I’ve been missing for so long"
- Rage Quit: During her Mistaken Identity era where she was getting heaped with negative hype backlash and judgements based upon her getting into a relationship with a married man she quit in this style. Later on in Delta era she quit in frustration over not making it in America fast enough. Child Of the Universe got same treatment.
- The Rival: Originally had a failed rivalry with Missy Higgins for the songwriter princess of Australia title. Now they kind of do they're own things separate of each other.
- Rapunzel Hair: Is extremely fond of having longish hair.
- Rock Star Song: "Electric Storm", "The Riddle", "Mistaken Identity", "This Is Not Me", "In My Own Time", "War On Love", "Dancing With A Broken Heart", "Daughter".
- Running Gag: Unintentionally her fourth album was coming "Soon" for about two years+
- Rule of Symbolism: Most of her first and second, albums, lyrically/musically.
- Dancing With A Broken Heart, Out Of The Blue, Believe Again, Sitting On Top of the World, Not Me Not I, Mistaken Identity videos.
- Bare Hands, Possessionless, The Guardian, God Laughs, Angels In The Room, off her third Self-Titled Album.
- The Unfettered: Tends to get lost in her own "creative world" for years at a time. She lampshaded it in a recent interview. She's good at the arty side but her celebrity/fame and business side don't matter to her. She sometimes forgets to inform her fans of details she knows, she's working on this though.
- Will Not Be A Victim: Now goes out of her way to ensure people don't victimize her. She simply says "There's nothing wrong with being a good person" and be done with it.
- Woman Scorned: Not Me Not I, Nobody Listened, You Will Only Break My Heart, the Guardian, Woman, Silence Be Heard, Predictable, I Lost All Love 4 You, Control, Dancing With A Broken Heart, Alcohol, Hunters And The Wolves, When My Stars Come Out
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Used to often brings up her Dark and Troubled Past and various personal and private issues. (2005-2011)
- Word Salad Lyrics / What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs??: 'The Riddle' is this.
I like mars, it's the reason I am here
which I am there, Where does it appear?
- "Hunters And The Wolves" also could give of this vibe:
I fought for you/I went to war in a battle of two
And in many years in solitary/I’m captured by the enemy
I tried, I tried, everything just to survive/I’m living the life of someone else who wouldn’t even save himself
- Vocal Evolution: She went from deep but youthful in "Innocent Eyes" to soft and emotional in "Mistaken Identity", to robotic, vocal gymnastic-like Céline Dion in her third self titled album, went back to a strong but emotional way of singing in "Child of The Universe"
- Unusual Euphemism: "We'll play my game of Hide And Seek" in Hunters And the Wolves"
- Unkempt Beauty: One thing her fans all agree upon.
- Unplugged Version: Child Of The Universe and Innocent Eyes both have "acoustic" versions released. Never mind the acoustic sections of her tours.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: "I Lost All Love 4 U"
- Your Cheating Heart: On her debut:My Big Mistake, her being at fault.
- "God Laughs" is about her father cheating. (On her third album)
- Played with "Alcohol" where the other party is alcohol.
Sitting on top, sitting on top of the world