open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Gravitation's "Sleepless Beauty".
- Naruto: Sadness And Sorrow, Grief And Sorrow, Man Of The World, Loneliness, etc.
- The SHUFFLE! anime has the song "Kabe no Mukou", which is quite creepy.
- "Lilium", the opening song used in the Elfen Lied anime.
- Bleach: Soundscape To Ardor (Morning Remembrance)
- A music-box theme plays periodically in Cowboy Bebop, and the box itself is shown in one episode to belong to a certain character. It has a tune designed to invoke nostalgia.
- Hedwig's Theme, although it is actually played on a celesta (a large music box that you can play like a piano).
- The song "I Am Listening" from I Am Legend.
- The theme song of the movie Requiem for a Dream.
- The theme song of the movie Forrest Gump, that plays in the opening.
- Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On".
- Anastasia's "Once upon a december".
- The British group Muse tends to have introductions like this.
- The song "Blue" by The Birthday Massacre.
- "Nemo" by Nightwish.
- Also, "Taikatalvi"
- "A little pain" by Olivia inspi' Reira (Trapnest).
- "Saeglopur" by Sigur Rós.
- "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order.
- "No Don't Shoot" by Foxy Shazam.
- Frank Mills - "Music Box Dancer."
- The Alan Parsons Project: "Eye In The Sky", "Don't Answer Me", the main theme of "The Turn Of A Friendly Card" suite.
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer, "Bitches' Crystal".
- The Dresden Dolls, "Coin-Operated Boy."
- A few Evanescence songs. Most notably, "My Immortal" and "Bring Me To Life".
- "Flyswatter" by eels.
- "Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy" by Mr. Bungle (complete by winding up and down).
- "Kuso Breakin No Breakin Lilly" by Maximum The Hormone opens with this.
- Frosti by Björk—actually much of Vespertine.
- The song "Music Box" by Thrice opens and closes with a music box playing.
- "Kid A" and "No Surprises" by Radiohead.
- "Every day", by Buddy Holly.
- The Protomen song "Father of Death" from Act II.
- The beginning of "Gz and Hustlas" by Snoop Dogg.
- "Sunday Morning" by Velvet Underground.
- "Just Trying To Be" by Jethro Tull.
- "Like An Angel Passing Through My Room" by ABBA.
- Black Sabbath, of all bands, has a moment with this in "Fluff".
- "Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce.
- Ozzy Osbourne: "Mr Tinker Train" opens with some music-boxish music. The song itself is kinda creepy, though.
- The opening riff to "Sweet Child Of Mine" by Guns N' Roses.
- "Wahrheit" by Yousei Teikoku starts off with these, intersperses them within the chorus, and ends with them.
- "Listen To My Song" by Arthur Lee and Love.
- "Old" by Starflyer 59 begins with a music box getting wound up and playing a few notes. The music box continues, very faintly, for the whole song, even after the rest of the instruments stop at the very end.
- The second half of "Spanish Caravan" by The Doors has an organ that sounds like a music box.
- "Streamline" by Pendulum ends with one of these.
- A lot of Kingdom Hearts songs: Kairi's theme, Namine's theme, Roxas's theme, Dearly Beloved, Hikari, etc.
- This song from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The ocarina songs in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Song of healing, Stone Tower Temple theme, Elegy of Emptiness, etc. ) and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Zelda's lullaby, Song of time, etc.); no doubt there's more songs in the Zelda video games that fit this trope.
- The Song of Storms is technically played on a music box when you first hear it, but the device lacks the iconic tinny sound and more resembles a concertina.
- "Burning Heat! (3 Option Mix)", a remix of a song from Gradius 2 heard in DDRMAX 2: Dance Dance Revolution 7th Mix, drops back to NES-style bleeps for eight seconds.
- In NieR, there are several songs with music box arrangements, such as "Dispossession" and "The Shadowlord's Theme".
- Virtue's Last Reward has "Blue Bird Lamentation", a sad song which begins and ends with a music box melody. It's the melody that Luna's music box pendant plays in-game.
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity has Despair, its Simple Score of Sadness, done in this fashion for the light and super light arrangements of it.
- Bravely Default has "Eternity's Moment", the menu theme.