Shooting music all over your body.
Ninja Sex Party
is a New York-based
comedy duo consisting of Danny Sexbang (Dan Avidan) and Ninja Brian (Brian Wecht). To date, the band has two albums out: NSFW
(2011) and Strawberries and Cream
(2013). Their next album, Attitude City
, is forthcoming.Their channel can be viewed here
. Also at the moment, Danny is now part of the Game Grumps
, and is also part of its sister show Steam Train
. The band also collaborated with Egoraptor for Starbomb
Their music contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Roger in You Can Do Us!.
- Anachronism Stew: Quite a lot of this in Dinosaur Laser Fight, where they fight with lasers, in space (which was invented by Albert Einstein), with robots and sharks.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Rhinoceratops and Superpuma caused a lot of collateral damage, including pissing on Cuba, killing a million people... and stepping on Dan's lawn and scratching his car.
- Artistic License – Music: Danny's signature instrument is a blue electric guitar... or at least it's played as one. It's actually a bass.
- Most notably in the Manticore video, where Danny inexplicably plays a face-meltingly awesome guitar solo on the bass.
- Danny mentions it as a blue bass in Rhinoceratops Vs. Superpuma, though the previous instances of it being used as a guitar remain unexplained.
- Ass Kicks You: The legendary Manticore will "Kick your ass in with his feet, and then kick your feet with his gigantic ass". Although in the video all he does during this line is stick some fried eggs in his pants and flex his crotch until they come out scrambled.
- Awesomeness Is a Force: From the official Ninja Sex Party website:
"Danny also has an unnamed medical condition that causes him to pass out from the sheer awesomeness of being in his own presence."
- Blatant Lies: Danny's prone to these, such as the entirety of The Sacred Chalice and Dragon Slayer.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: When Ninja Brian guest hosted for HotPepperGaming, he IS the pepper, to the degree that the one he ingested didn't even cause him to blink through the review (whereas most people paused quite a few times and gave their peppers a five out of the possible five and Arin Hanson gave the Habanero pepper like a thousand), rating the pepper 0/5.
- During the Ninja Sex Party/Steam Train panel at MAG Fest 2014, Danny and Brian (out of character) confirmed that Brian really did eat the pepper rather than keeping it in his mask (as some had suspected) and that the lack of blinking was real and not a post-production edit. Apparently everybody present was way more impressed at how long he went without blinking than they were that he ate the pepper.
- Bullying a Dragon: Danny seems to take great enjoyment from insulting Ninja Brian during their songs, NSP Theme, If We Were Gay and The Decision being the most notable examples of this. You'd have thought that he would have learnt better not to mock the murderous ninja guy (Brian's retribution is always swift and deadly, though not usually permanent).
- But Not Too Gay: If We Were Gay is a speculative song about what the world would be like if the duo was gay. However, Danny's quick to assure us that if they were, it'd be mostly Brian.
- But Thou Must: In FYI I wanna F your A, on the PTAnote application, the three choices are "Yes", "Hell Yes", and "I Already Am".
- Butt Monkey: Barry has been beaten up or murdered just as often as Danny, sometimes even by Danny.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Brian's been known to do this, such as the end of their video for The Ultimate Sandwich, where he is shown to read the on-screen subtitles while Danny speaks in Spanish.
- Call Back: So much in Dragon Slayer, like the animal costumes from the Starbomb previews, Danny's "Stuff that Totally Happened" book is written by Mike Aruba, and the return of the Manticore.
- The Cameo: JonTron, of the titular channel and Game Grumps fame, guest-starred in "Let's Get This Terrible Party Started".
- Arin, Ross and Barry from Game Grumps appear in the videos for both Party of Three and Dragon Slayer. Ross and Barry also appear in Let's Get This Terrible Party Started.
- The girl Danny's trying to seduce in Dragon Slayer is comicbookgirl19.
- Arin and Barry have also appeared in Attitude City as members of Danny's gang.
- Cargo Shipping: Invoked and taken to an absurd degree with Objects of Desire, where Danny confesses to his girlfriend that he's had sex with every single inanimate object in her house.
- The Casanova / The Pornomancer: Subverted. Danny likes to think of himself as this, but the outcomes of his music videos tend to imply otherwise.
- Sometimes played straight, like in Sex Training where he steals a guy's girlfriend, Rhinoceratops vs. Superpuma where he talks about getting laid twice in a row, and I Just Want To (Dance) where he talks about banging a thousand hotter girls than the hottest girl you've ever seen, etc.
- Comedic Sociopath: Ninja Brian. He's either killing someone, or thinking about killing someone. Usually someone nearby. Usually Danny. Best Friends Forever directly addresses this and how big of a problem it is for Danny, since Brian ends up killing all his friends (and then him).
- Commitment Issues: The reason Danny goes on his road trip in the titular song is because he's going out with a girl he actually likes and could see himself settling down with, so he decides to journey across America and bang as many girls as possible to get the commitment out of his system.
- Out of character, Danny himself has admitted to this.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Rhinoceratops Vs. Superpuma.
- Crazy Awesome: Invoked, whoever wields the chalice will become this.
- Critical Research Failure: In-universe. In Dinosaur Laser Fight, "Dr Sexbang" informs the class that Albert Einstein invented space.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Next To You, where Danny gets rejected by a girl but says he's happy to just be friends. He then spends the entire video stalking her while masturbating.
- Death Is Cheap: No matter how many times Brian slaughters Danny, he's always back for more.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: During the outro for Let's Get This Terrible Party Started, Brian stabs and kills Slender Man, who is generally considered unkillable in his own mythos.
- Do Wrong, Right: When Ninja Brian kills Ninja Jim in Best Friends Forever.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first music video, "I Just Want To (Dance)". It's not as overtly sexual in subject matter as future songs would become, with Danny even implying he's not interested in romance anymore, and most notably, Ninja Brian is unmasked and singing at one point. Just as well, Danny states that prior to becoming Danny Sexbang, he'd been "the toughest fucking ninja that you've ever seen", even saying this to Ninja Brian, who doesn't seem to object, implying that this is true. This is later proven wrong so so so many times.
- Epic Fail: In the song Dragon Slayer, Danny Sexbang is chatting up a girl at a party, and trying to get her to go out with him by telling ridiculous tales about himself (like, say, that he slew a dragon). How does this work out for him?
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Ninja Sex Party taught a science class about laser-toting dinosaurs in space.
- Evil Counterpart: According to Danny, NSP has a rival group called Samurai Abstinence Patrol. They'll be featured in Attitude City.
- Eye Beams: Ninja Brian apparently has these, and they cause whatever he hits to explode.
- Foreshadowing: In the aforementioned Let's Get This Terrible Party Started video, there is artwork of Danny, Brian, and Egoraptor in futuristic Tron-esque suits, foreshadowing Starbomb, a collaborative album between Arin and the band.
- In The Ultimate Sandwich video, before the actual song begins, the background music is the same that was used for the Starbomb song, The Simple Plot of Final Fantasy VII.
- Danny has mentioned on a few occasions that Ninja Sex Party have a rival gang named Samurai Abstinence Patrol. They'll be appearing in the band's next album.
- In "The Second NSP Album Is Here!" the music playing is actually the music for Starbomb's "Mega Marital Problems".
- Fun with Acronyms: The entirety of FYI I wanna F your A.
- Genius Bruiser: Ninja Brian is a theoretical physicist.
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Brian does this to Danny in Why I Cry, when the latter starts crying before having sex with a woman.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Danny at the end of "The Ultimate Sandwich", as a result of I Ate WHAT? below.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Basically every other song the band sings.
- Heel-Face Turn: Danny used to be just as psychotic and violent as Brian, but changed his ways when he decided he'd rather dance.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Danny and Brian.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Ninja Brian seems to have many more amazing skills and powers than Danny has.
- Psycho Sidekick: He's also murderously insane.
- Bumbling Sidekick: Inverted; Brian seems much more successful at his chosen skill set (a.k.a. murdering) than Danny is at his (a.k.a. seduction).
- I Ate WHAT?: The look of Ninja Brian's eyes says it in "The Ultimate Sandwich!" when Danny mentioned that for practice, he screwed Brian's blueberry muffins, when he's eating one at the moment
Danny: Oh... but... not the one you're eating right now, Brian... Alright, I fucked that muffin too!
- I Banged Your Mom: As "The Ultimate Sandwich" begins, Danny Sexbang has just had sex with your mother. That's right - yours.
- I Can't Dance: Ninja Brian's awkward as hell shuffling during the dragon dance in Dragon Slayer.
- I Come in Peace: The Martians made that approach to the laser-toting dinosaurs. They got themselves obliterated instead.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: During No Reason Boner.
Danny: I have to go...I have a, uh, doctor's appointment at the dentist.
- Lampshaded a few lines later when he admits it wasn't his best lie.
- Again, during Three Minutes of Ecstasy
Danny: I have to go to the... uh... the pudding store, for... uh... for pudding.
- Improbable Weapon User: In the video for The Decision, Danny throws his dog at a mugger.
- Also from the same video, Brian murdering Danny with his keyboard.
- In Party Of Three Brian notably uses a pool noodle as a blowgun to kill Egoraptor, and in the same video uses another to strangle people.
- In Dragon Slayer, Danny claims to have swung his unicorn like a club to slay the dragon. This supposedly caused the sun to explode.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: In No Reason Boner:
Zookeeper: Hi! Welcome to the zoo!
Zookeeper: Actually, those technically aren't monkeys, they're macaques!
Danny: Wow! Macaque's really hairy! *snickers to self*
- Inelegant Blubbering: Danny, all throughout Why I Cry
- Informed Attribute: Invoked. Danny is the world's greatest lover...according to himself.
- Intercourse with You: Most of the band's songs involve Danny attempting to have sex, to varying degrees of success.
- Leet Lingo: FYI I Want to F Your A
- Lovecraft Lite: Rhinoceratops vs Superpuma starts out with the two titular monsters threatening the earth in their "massive-ass brawl", but The Power of Rock saves the day... by influencing them to have sex with each other. Lovecraft doesn't get Liter than this.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Many, many examples, usually involving Brian killing Danny in some fashion. The best example comes in If We Were Gay, when Danny just says "ow" and "ouch" repeatedly in a Dull Surprise manner as he falls down the cliff.
- Matzo Fever: Danny at least thinks of himself this way, being a Jewish lover. He does however have his share of turnoffs for comedic effect.
- McNinja: Ninja Brian is "Japanese, or possibly Irish," according to this video.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Both members of the group.
- Danny Sexbang is a self-important douchebag who constantly lies about his achievements and thinks he's more attractive than he actually is, while acting incredibly sexist and disrespectful to every girl he hits on. In real life, Dan Avidan is incredibly chilled, very humble, and has a large following of fangirls (and boys).
- Ninja Brian is a murderous psycho. In real life, Brian Wecht is a theoretical physicist, comedian, and pianist, and is a really cool guy with a good sense of humor.( He does Harass Danny for all it's worth, though.)
- Memetic Badass: Invoked with the Manticore, which literally invented death and all things that are bad.
- Also invoked with Ninja Brian in general, since he has killed several people, including The Slender Man.
- Mood Whiplash: Outside example; going from Ninja Sex Party to Danny's serious indie rock/electronic-flavored music (Skyhill and The Northern Hues) or vice versa will certainly surprise a few people in how the same guy has sang and composed for all of those acts.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: In the band name, as well as quite a bit of their music. Unicorn Wizard is basically this trope in song form.
- No, Except Yes: "Oh, hey, Ninja Brian, that came out wrong. I didn't mean to call you fat. I meant stupid. And ugly. And fat."
- Psychic Powers: On three occasions, Ninja Brian has shown to have the ability to cause people, buildings, and even the sun to explode with his mind.
Danny: Alright this party sucks, Ninja Brian, explode this building with your mind.
- Raging Stiffie: Danny tends to get these a lot. Particularly featured in the aptly named No Reason Boner.
- Recurring Extra: Dan Hodapp, known as the character Roger Rogerson, appears in the vast majority of their videos.
- Danny's Game Grumps co-stars, Arin, Ross and Barry have been showing up regularly in their more recent videos.
- Running Gag: Barry has been subject to a Neck Snap in the first three videos for Attitude City.
- Each video from Attitude City so far has also included at least one appearance by Barry in a unicorn costume. By "Why I Cry" he's starting to look kind of tired of it.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Danny uses this a lot in Ninja Sex Party songs since he's the only one singing, heavily featured in "Why I Cry" and his cover of the theme from The Last Unicorn
- Sex Is Cool: The operating principle of the band.
- Serial Escalation / Recycled IN SPACE!: Road Trip starts off as just a trip around America to have sex with as many girls as possible. It eventually escalates into a world tour before Danny decides the only way to top that is to go into space and bang hot alien chicks.
- Sleeps with Everyone but You: The girl Danny's trying to seduce in Dragon Slayer ends up going home with the football player. And the scientist. And the weightlifter. And the dragon. And Ninja Brian. And the manticore.
- Smarter Than You Look: Both Danny and Brian are way smarter than they make themselves out to seem. Extremely with Brian who's a frigging theoretical physicist.
- Space Is Noisy: Averted and discussed in Dinosaur Laser Fight: "But it was quiet because in space there is no sound".
- Special Effects Failure: Invoked as part of the band's visual style in their music videos. It's done intentionally cheap, with d-grade costumes and props, and blatant, obvious use of green screen. They even use MS paint drawings on occasion for diagrams.
- Speed Sex: Parodied in Three Minutes of Ecstasy. Danny doesn't see it as a problem, and in fact makes it out like anything more would be too much of a good thing note .
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: In part 1 of the Sacred Chalice, Danny backpedals after saying he hired a hooker to join the party, saying it was another robot and definitely not a hooker.
- The dragon in Dragon Slayer is definitely a dragon and not some guy Dan met at the bus station in a dragon suit. (And if it was, that guy certainly wouldn't be Egoraptor, either.)
- Take That: When listing the things that Brian likes to suck (dicks), one of the images that flashes by is Mel Gibson. As stated on Game Grumps, Danny himself has a strong personal hatred of Mr. Gibson.
- Technician Vs Performer: Danny describes Ninja Brian's style of musical writing as mathematical and based in music theory, whereas he does all his writing by ear.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Brian kills Danny a lot in their film clips, but Danny always comes back.
- Though some fan speculation claims that Danny magically replaces himself with the deliberately bad dummy they use as part of the band's deliberate Special Effects Failure.
- Third Wheel: Brian comes off as a very creepy version of this at times, such as when he's casually sitting next to the bed with Danny and 'your mom' at the start of The Ultimate Sandwich, or when he's hanging out in Danny's bedroom while he's trying to seduce Kristen in The Sacred Chalice.
- Party Of Three is essentially this trope, though Danny seems pretty cool with it. His date, however...
- Trying Not to Cry: Danny in Why I Cry, particularly at the end.
Danny: Sorry, was that too sensitive for you? Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I'll just be over here thinking about a duckling riding on the back of a puppy. Also the duckling is wearing a... tiny cowboy hat... slightly tilted... [runs away crying]
- Up to Eleven: Unicorn Wizard is about if Danny was even more awesome than he already is.
Danny: What would my life be like if I turned that shit up to eleven (out of a possible five)?
- Unusual Euphemism" Most of FYI I Wanna F Your A, as the translations of Danny's Sexual Acronyms become more unusual as the song goes on.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Danny and Ninja Brian. Though it's less verbally vitriolic and more Danny makes fun of Brian and then Brian kills him.
- The Voiceless: Ninja Brian never speaks, except for the one very brief moment where he did a tiny duet with Danny in NSP's debut video "I Just Want To (Dance)".
- Beware the Quiet Ones: NEVER mess with Ninja Brian. In fact, even Danny has, on multiple occasions, been on the receiving end of his wrath.
- A Wild Rapper Appears: And got immediately offed by Ninja Brian in Party of Three. He was played by Arin Hanson.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Though Ninja Brian has been shown murdering many different people, they've all been male. This is especially apparent in Party of Three, where Brian commits a mass murder at a coed pool party, but only male bodies can be seen lifelessly floating in the water.
- Your Soul Is Mine: The Manticore, who will steal your soul, then have a threesome with it and your girlfriend.