Shooting music all over your body.
Ninja Sex Party is a New York-based
comedy duo consisting of Danny Sexbang (Dan Avidan) and Ninja Brian (Brian Wecht). To date, the band has three albums out: NSFW
(2011), Strawberries and Cream
(2013) and Attitude City
(2015).Their channel can be viewed here
and their first two albums (NSFW
, Strawberries and Cream
) are available on SoundCloud
The duo rely heavily on their developed characters to write humorous lyrics. Danny Sexbang is a Jewish man who is the world's most handsome, erotic lover, according only to himself. To this end, songs often involve Danny's humorous attempts to flirt with and impress a girl, which amount to crude sexual advances and aggrandising of his own achievements, often to the level of absurdity. Ninja Brian is a homicidal, sociopathic and incredibly deadly ninja with an array of killing methods both mundane and fantastic, and a bizarre obsession with Dan, which often results in most people around Danny dying in horrific ways. He is never seen without his mask (with a sole exception, listed below). Many videos also end with Brian killing Dan.
Also, at the moment, Danny is now part of Game Grumps
, and is also part of its sister show Steam Train
. The band also collaborated with Egoraptor for Starbomb
Their music contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Roger in You Can Do Us!.
- Anachronism Stew: Quite a lot of this in Dinosaur Laser Fight, where they fight with lasers, in space (which was invented by Albert Einstein), with robots and sharks.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Rhinoceratops and Superpuma caused a lot of collateral damage, including pissing on Cuba, killing a million people... and stepping on Dan's lawn and scratching his car.
- Artistic License – Music: Danny's signature instrument is a blue electric guitar... or at least it's played as one. It's actually a bass.
- Most notably in the Manticore video, where Danny inexplicably plays a face-meltingly awesome guitar solo on the bass.
- Danny mentions it as a blue bass in Rhinoceratops Vs. Superpuma, though the previous instances of it being used as a guitar remain unexplained.
- Ass Kicks You: The legendary Manticore will "Kick your ass in with his feet, and then kick your feet with his gigantic ass". Although in the video all he does during this line is stick some fried eggs in his pants and flex his crotch until they come out scrambled.
- Awesomeness Is a Force: From the official Ninja Sex Party website:
"Danny also has an unnamed medical condition that causes him to pass out from the sheer awesomeness of being in his own presence."
- Bad Future: The future of the song "6969" is placed in the year 6969, where alien overlords have outlawed all sexual releations to maintain their 1000 year spell on humanity.
- Blatant Lies: Danny's prone to these, such as the entirety of The Sacred Chalice and Dragon Slayer.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: When Ninja Brian guest hosted for Hot Pepper Gaming, he IS the pepper, to the degree that the one he ingested didn't even cause him to blink through the review (whereas most people paused quite a few times and gave their peppers a five out of the possible five and Arin Hanson gave the Habanero pepper like a thousand), rating the pepper 0/5.
- During the Ninja Sex Party/Steam Train panel at MAG Fest 2014, Danny and Brian (out of character) confirmed that Brian really did eat the pepper rather than keeping it in his mask (as some had suspected) and that the lack of blinking was real and not a post-production edit. Apparently everybody present was way more impressed at how long he went without blinking than they were that he ate the pepper.
- Bookends: Strawberries and Cream has "Strawberries" and "Cream" as an Either/Or Title for the intro and outro, respectively.
- The same thing happens with Attitude City.
- Bullying a Dragon: Danny seems to take great enjoyment from insulting Ninja Brian during their songs, NSP Theme, If We Were Gay and The Decision being the most notable examples of this. You'd have thought that he would have learnt better not to mock the murderous ninja guy (Brian's retribution is always swift and deadly, though not usually permanent).
- But Not Too Gay: If We Were Gay is a speculative song about what the world would be like if the duo was gay. However, Danny's quick to assure us that if they were, it'd be mostly Brian.
- But Thou Must: In FYI I wanna F your A, on the PTAnote application, the three choices are "Yes", "Hell Yes", and "I Already Am".
- Butt Monkey: Barry has been beaten up or murdered just as often as Danny, sometimes even by Danny.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Brian's been known to do this, such as the end of their video for The Ultimate Sandwich, where he is shown to read the on-screen subtitles while Danny speaks in Spanish.
- Call Back: So much in Dragon Slayer, like the animal costumes from the Starbomb previews, Danny's "Stuff that Totally Happened" book is written by Mike Aruba, and the return of the Manticore.
- The Ultimate Sandwich has a moment during the animated part featuring cameos from the Manticore, one of the dinosaurs from Dinosaur Laser Fight, and the Sextron 3000 from Sex Training and The Sacred Chalice.
- The Cameo:
- JonTron, of the titular channel and Game Grumps fame, guest-starred in "Let's Get This Terrible Party Started".
- Arin, Ross and Barry from Game Grumps appear in the videos for both Party of Three and Dragon Slayer. Ross and Barry also appear in Let's Get This Terrible Party Started.
- The girl Danny's trying to seduce in Dragon Slayer is comicbookgirl19.
- Arin and Barry have also appeared in Attitude City as members of Danny's gang, and as backup dancers in Road Trip.
- Steel Panther appear at the beginning of Road Trip.
- Jack Douglass from Jacksfilms appeared in Cookies!.
- Careful with That Axe: The first chorus of "Cookies!" is directly followed by a horrific scream from Danny as he's being attacked by demons.
- Cargo Shipping: Invoked and taken to an absurd degree with Objects of Desire, where Danny confesses to his girlfriend that he's had sex with every single inanimate object in her house.
- The Casanova / The Pornomancer: Subverted. Danny likes to think of himself as this, but the outcomes of his music videos tend to imply otherwise.
- Sometimes attempted to be played straight, like in Sex Training where he steals a guy's girlfriend, Rhinoceratops vs. Superpuma where he talks about getting laid twice in a row, Road Trip where he has sex in places all over the world, and I Just Want To (Dance) where he talks about banging a thousand hotter girls than the hottest girl you've ever seen, etc, though these are meant to be Blatant Lies with Danny's reputation for fantasizing about how much of a ladies' man he is.
- Comedic Sociopath: Ninja Brian. He's either killing someone, or thinking about killing someone. Usually someone nearby. Usually Danny. Best Friends Forever directly addresses this and how big of a problem it is for Danny, since Brian ends up killing all his friends (and then him).
- Commitment Issues: The reason Danny goes on his road trip in the titular song is because he's going out with a girl he actually likes and could see himself settling down with, so he decides to journey across America and bang as many girls as possible to get the commitment out of his system.
- Out of character, Danny himself has admitted to this.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Rhinoceratops Vs. Superpuma.
- Crazy Awesome: Invoked, whoever wields the chalice will become this.
- Critical Research Failure: In-universe. In Dinosaur Laser Fight, "Dr Sexbang" informs the class that Albert Einstein invented space.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Next To You, where Danny gets rejected by a girl but says he's happy to just be friends. He then spends the entire video stalking her while masturbating.
- Death Is Cheap: No matter how many times Brian slaughters Danny, he's always back for more.
- Deus ex Machina: After Danny brings back sex in 6969, the Dick Elders order to have him killed. Brian promptly kills them all.
Danny: I have to say in retrospect, that was easier than I thought.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: During the outro for Let's Get This Terrible Party Started, Brian stabs and kills Slender Man, who is generally considered unkillable in his own mythos.
- Downer Ending: "Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection)" ends with Danny being shot by what seems to be the Secret Service after Danny interrupts the President's speech to talk about his boner. The chorus' ending line "Please hold your applause" is repurposed when Danny is only able to say "Please hold your—" before he gets taken down, which implies that it could be seen as "Please hold your fire".
- Do Wrong, Right: When Ninja Brian kills Ninja Jim in Best Friends Forever.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first music video, "I Just Want To (Dance)". It's not as overtly sexual in subject matter as future songs would become, with Danny even implying he's not interested in romance anymore, and most notably, Ninja Brian is unmasked and singing at one point. Just as well, Danny states that prior to becoming Danny Sexbang, he'd been "the toughest fucking ninja that you've ever seen", even saying this to Ninja Brian, who doesn't seem to object, implying that this is true. This is later proven wrong so so so many times. Likely meant to be taken as Blatant Lies though, since Danny's character is known for greatly embelleshing the truth to sound far more awesome than he is.
- Epic Fail: In the song Dragon Slayer, Danny Sexbang is chatting up a girl at a party, and trying to get her to go out with him by telling ridiculous tales about himself (like, say, that he slew a dragon). In the end, the girl decides to go home with everyone except Dan.
- Epic Rocking: 6969 clocks in at a full 8 and a half minutes.
- Establishing Series Moment: "NSP Theme Song", natch.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Ninja Sex Party taught a science class about laser-toting dinosaurs in space.
- Evil Counterpart: According to Danny, NSP has a rival group called Samurai Abstinence Patrol. They appear in Attitude City: Arin Neverbone and Samurai Barry.
- Eye Beams: Ninja Brian apparently has these, and they cause whatever he hits to explode.
- Foreshadowing: In the aforementioned Let's Get This Terrible Party Started video, there is artwork of Danny, Brian, and Egoraptor in futuristic Tron-esque suits, foreshadowing Starbomb, a collaborative album between Arin and the band.
- In The Ultimate Sandwich video, before the actual song begins, the background music is the same that was used for the Starbomb song, The Simple Plot of Final Fantasy VII.
- Danny has mentioned on a few occasions that Ninja Sex Party have a rival gang named Samurai Abstinence Patrol. They appear in Attitude City.
- In "The Second NSP Album Is Here!" the music playing is actually the music for Starbomb's "Mega Marital Problems".
- Fun with Acronyms: The entirety of FYI I wanna F your A.
- Genius Bruiser: Ninja Brian is a theoretical physicist.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Brian does this to Danny in Why I Cry, when the latter starts crying before having sex with a woman.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Danny at the end of "The Ultimate Sandwich", as a result of I Ate WHAT? below.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Basically every song the band sings involves Danny trying to get laid.
- Heel-Face Turn: Danny used to be just as psychotic and violent as Brian, but changed his ways when he decided he'd rather dance.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Danny and Brian.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Ninja Brian seems to have many more amazing skills and powers than Danny has.
- Psycho Sidekick: He's also murderously insane.
- Bumbling Sidekick: Inverted; Brian seems much more successful at his chosen skill set (a.k.a. murdering) than Danny is at his (a.k.a. seduction).
- I Ate WHAT?: The look of Ninja Brian's eyes says it in "The Ultimate Sandwich!" when Danny mentioned that for practice, he screwed Brian's blueberry muffins, when he's eating one at the moment
Danny: Oh... but... not the one you're eating right now, Brian... Alright, I fucked that muffin too!
- I Banged Your Mom: As "The Ultimate Sandwich" begins, Danny Sexbang has just had sex with your mother. That's right - yours.
- I Can't Dance: Ninja Brian's awkward as hell shuffling during the dragon dance in Dragon Slayer.
- I Come in Peace: The Martians made that approach to the laser-toting dinosaurs. They got themselves obliterated instead.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: During No Reason Boner.
Danny: I have to go...I have a, uh, doctor's appointment at the dentist.
- Lampshaded a few lines later when he admits it wasn't his best lie.
- Again, during Three Minutes of Ecstasy
Danny: I have to go to the... uh... the pudding store, for... uh... for pudding.
- Improbable Weapon User: In the video for The Decision, Danny throws his dog at a mugger.
- Also from the same video, Brian murdering Danny with his keyboard.
- In Party Of Three Brian notably uses a pool noodle as a blowgun to kill Egoraptor, and in the same video uses another to strangle people.
- In Dragon Slayer, Danny claims to have swung his unicorn like a club to slay the dragon. This supposedly caused the sun to explode.
- In Samurai Abstinence Patrol, Brian stabs a random guy with another guy.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: In No Reason Boner:
Zookeeper: Hi! Welcome to the zoo!
Zookeeper: Actually, those technically aren't monkeys, they're macaques!
Danny: Wow! Macaque's really hairy! *snickers to self*
- Inelegant Blubbering: Danny, all throughout Why I Cry
- Informed Attribute: Invoked. Danny is the world's greatest lover...according to himself.
- Intercourse with You: Most of the band's songs involve Danny attempting to have sex, to varying degrees of success.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Danny in Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection).
For one nation, indivisible under God
We all stand together and peep my glorious rod
Hey those guys look fun, oh wait, are they holding guns?
Please hold your-
- Leet Lingo: FYI I Want to F Your A
- Lovecraft Lite: Rhinoceratops vs Superpuma starts out with the two titular monsters threatening the earth in their "massive-ass brawl", but The Power of Rock saves the day... by influencing them to have sex with each other. Lovecraft doesn't get Liter than this.
- Ludicrous Speed: 6969 contains the following line:
The speed of light's for pussies
We're going at the speed of Brian!
- Major Injury Underreaction: Many, many examples, usually involving Brian killing Danny in some fashion. The best example comes in If We Were Gay, when Danny just says "ow" and "ouch" repeatedly in a Dull Surprise manner as he falls down the cliff.
- Matzo Fever: Danny at least thinks of himself this way, being a Jewish lover. He does however have his share of turnoffs for comedic effect.
- McNinja: Ninja Brian is "Japanese, or possibly Irish," according to this video.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Both members of the group.
- Danny Sexbang is a self-important douchebag who constantly lies about his achievements and thinks he's more attractive than he actually is, while acting incredibly sexist and disrespectful to every girl he hits on. In real life, Dan Avidan is incredibly chilled, very humble, and has a large following of fangirls (and boys).
- Ninja Brian is a murderous psycho. In real life, Brian Wecht is a theoretical physicist, comedian, and pianist, and is a really cool guy with a good sense of humor.( He does harass Danny for all it's worth, though.)
- Memetic Badass: Invoked with the Manticore, which literally invented death and all things that are bad.
- Also invoked with Ninja Brian in general, since he has killed several people, including The Slender Man.
- Mood Whiplash:
- Outside example; going from Ninja Sex Party to Danny's serious indie rock/electronic-flavored music (Skyhill and The Northern Hues) or vice versa will certainly surprise a few people in how the same guy has sang and composed for all of those acts.
- In Attitude City, during the showdown with the guys from the town, the scene suddenly changes from a city slum to a sunny meadow, with all characters adopting appropriate costume. When it switches back it's even more jarring.
- "Cookies!" and its music video alternates between aggressively rapped verses with bleak beats/lyrics and happy, upbeat choruses.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: In the band name, as well as quite a bit of their music. Unicorn Wizard is basically this trope in song form.
- No, Except Yes: "Oh, hey, Ninja Brian, that came out wrong. I didn't mean to call you fat. I meant stupid. And ugly. And fat."
- Nonindicative Name: In a Reddit AMA, the question was brought up on how NSP included lots of ninjas in their music videos, but no sex parties.
Danny: Youtube censorship guidelines. Believe me, we'd LOVE to show our sex parties.
- Overly Long Gag: The list of things that Brian likes to suck in "If We Were Gay".
"Dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick balls..."
- Psychic Powers: On three occasions, Ninja Brian has shown to have the ability to cause people, buildings, and even the sun to explode with his mind.
Danny: Alright this party sucks, Ninja Brian, explode this building with your mind.
- Raging Stiffie: Danny tends to get these a lot. Particularly featured in the aptly named No Reason Boner as well as Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection).
- Recurring Extra: Dan Hodapp, known as the character Roger Rogerson, appears in the vast majority of their videos.
- Danny's Game Grumps co-stars, Arin, Ross and Barry have been showing up regularly in their more recent videos.
- Running Gag: Barry has been subject to a Neck Snap in the first three videos for Attitude City.
- Each video from Attitude City so far has also included at least one appearance by Barry in a unicorn costume. By "Why I Cry" he's starting to look kind of tired of it.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Danny uses this a lot in Ninja Sex Party songs since he's the only one singing, heavily featured in "Why I Cry" and his cover of the theme from The Last Unicorn
- Sex Is Cool: The operating principle of the band. Or at least Danny Sexbang.
- Serial Escalation / Recycled INSPACE: Road Trip starts off as just a trip around America to have sex with as many girls as possible. It eventually escalates into a world tour before Danny decides the only way to top that is to go into space and bang hot alien chicks.
- Sleeps with Everyone but You: The girl Danny's trying to seduce in Dragon Slayer ends up going home with the football player. And the scientist. And the weightlifter. And the dragon. And Ninja Brian. And the manticore.
- Smarter Than You Look: Both Danny and Brian are way smarter than they make themselves out to seem. Extremely with Brian who's a frigging theoretical physicist.
- Space Is Noisy: Averted and discussed in Dinosaur Laser Fight: "But it was quiet because in space there is no sound".
- Special Effects Failure: Invoked as part of the band's visual style in their music videos. It's done intentionally cheap, with d-grade costumes and props, and blatant, obvious use of green screen. They even use MS paint drawings on occasion for diagrams.
- Speed Sex: Parodied in Three Minutes of Ecstasy. Danny doesn't see it as a problem, and in fact makes it out like anything more would be too much of a good thing note .
- Standard Fantasy Setting: The music video for Peppermint Creams depicts the adventures of knight-errant Sir Daniel Sexbang, on his way home from a crusade against The Legions of Hell; battling through a haunted cemetery, a carnivorous gerbil-infested swamp, an abandoned city, and the Realms of Heaven so he can get home and admire the princess' rack.
- Suddenly Shouting: The chorus of Peppermint Creams is shouted at the top of Danny's voice, out of place in the ballad.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: In part 1 of the Sacred Chalice, Danny backpedals after saying he hired a hooker to join the party, saying it was another robot and definitely not a hooker.
- The dragon in Dragon Slayer is definitely a dragon and not some guy Dan met at the bus station in a dragon suit. (And if it was, that guy certainly wouldn't be Egoraptor, either.)
- The Swear Jar: At the end of their music video for Three Minutes of Ecstasy, Ninja Brian has to put several quarters in a "murder jar" after killing a yacht full of people. They also appear to have a regular swear jar, a "stab jar", a "watching dogs bone jar", and a Jar Jar.
- Take That: When listing the things that Brian likes to suck (dicks), one of the images that flashes by is Mel Gibson. As stated on Game Grumps, Danny himself has a strong personal hatred of Mr. Gibson.
- Technician Vs Performer: Danny describes Ninja Brian's style of musical writing as mathematical and based in music theory, whereas he does all his writing by ear.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Brian kills Danny a lot in their film clips, but Danny always comes back.
- Though some fan speculation claims that Danny magically replaces himself with the deliberately bad dummy they use as part of the band's deliberate Special Effects Failure.
- Third Wheel: Brian comes off as a very creepy version of this at times, such as when he's casually sitting next to the bed with Danny and 'your mom' at the start of The Ultimate Sandwich, or when he's hanging out in Danny's bedroom while he's trying to seduce Kristen in The Sacred Chalice.
- Party Of Three is essentially this trope, though Danny seems pretty cool with it. His date, however...
- Trying Not to Cry: Danny in Why I Cry, particularly at the end.
Danny: Sorry, was that too sensitive for you? Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I'll just be over here thinking about a duckling riding on the back of a puppy. Also the duckling is wearing a... tiny cowboy hat... slightly tilted... [runs away crying]
- Up to Eleven: Unicorn Wizard is about if Danny was even more awesome than he already is.
Danny: What would my life be like if I turned that shit up to eleven (out of a possible five)?
- Unusual Euphemism" Most of FYI I Wanna F Your A, as the translations of Danny's Sexual Acronyms become more unusual as the song goes on.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Danny and Ninja Brian. Though it's less verbally vitriolic and more Danny makes fun of Brian and then Brian kills him.
- The Voiceless: Ninja Brian never speaks, except for the one very brief moment where he did a tiny duet with Danny in NSP's debut video "I Just Want To (Dance)".
- Beware the Quiet Ones: NEVER mess with Ninja Brian. In fact, even Danny has, on multiple occasions, been on the receiving end of his wrath.
- A Wild Rapper Appears: And got immediately offed by Ninja Brian in Party of Three. He was played by Arin Hanson.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Though Ninja Brian has been shown murdering many different people, they've all been male. This is especially apparent in Party of Three, where Brian commits a mass murder at a coed pool party, but only male bodies can be seen lifelessly floating in the water.
- Your Soul Is Mine: The Manticore, who will steal your soul, then have a threesome with it and your girlfriend.