"Do not let my calm demeanor fool you, RANGER!"Two characters are carrying on a conversation. Alice says something. Bob responds in his regular voice, but then SUDDENLY HE'S SHOUTING! Typically happens for one of three reasons:
— Marshal Pentecost, Pacific Rim
- Anger: Something Alice said just really infuriates Bob, or perhaps simply made an already bad mood worse. Often this is preceded by other visual cues of anger, such as a twitching eye, giving the impression that despite his feelings Bob is still trying to maintain some sense of composure before finally giving in and letting loose with an impassioned tirade.
- Surprise / Fear: Bob is carrying on as normal, when suddenly a cold, dead hand settles on his shoulder, or someone sets off an explosive in his presence, or something else happens that he just didn't or couldn't expect. Often accompanied by an upward shift in pitch.
- Drama: Bob is naturally a Large Ham and wants you to know that what he is revealing is quite important, no matter how mundane it may actually be. This is a technique actually used by army trainers when scolding trainees, to keep them on their toes and to vary the tempo of the berating.
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Dragon Ball, Bulma uses type A for snark value when complaining about how recklessly endangering her companions are.
Vegeta: It's over NINE THOUSAND!!!
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
Colonel Mustang: When I'm Führer, there will be changes. That day, all female officers will be required to wear...TINY MINISKIRTS!
- About half of Major Armstrong's lines are like this, particularly when they have to do with things being passed down the Armstrong line FOR GENERATIONS!
- Cowboy Bebop:
Vicious: The same blood runs through both of us. The blood of a ravenous beast hungry for the blood of others.Spike: I've bled all that blood away.Vicious: THEN WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!
- In the Haruhi Suzumiya episode "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina", when Itsuki attempts to kiss a drunk Mikuru:
Kyon: Okay, how is this happening right now? If your mouth gets any closer to her, someone standing off camera is gonna step into frame and KICK YOUR ASS, DAMMIT!
- In Chapter 36 of the manga for Neon Genesis Evangelion, 14 year-old Asuka tells Kaji to stop treating her like a child and starts taking off her clothes. When Kaji refuses her, Asuka replies, "It's Misato, isn't it? YOU STILL LOVE MISATO, DON'T YOU?! SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S NO ROOM FOR ME?!" causing an alarmed Kaji to think that she really is like a child after all.
- In an early Garfield strip:
Jon: Be careful there, Garfield. Hanging on the drapes can be very painful. 'CAUSE I'M GONNA BREAK YOUR LEGS IF YOU DON'T GET OFF THEM THIS INSTANT!
We're loud... We're proud... -Garfield gets closer to the TV to hear what they're saying- AND WE'RE MEAN TOO!
- He also does it again later:
Jon: Some dirty, rotten, low-down, slimy, filthy, disgusting, gluttonous, hog STOLE MY SUPPER!
- And in another, Garfield is watching "The Loud Channel":
- He also does it again later:
- In Retribution, Spock raises his voice in frustration when Kirk contradicts his statement that the captain "[has] no idea of the gravity of offenses that can be committed between us."
- In 30 Minutes That Changed Everything a recently-freed Sirius is talking to Remus about what happened during his illegal imprisonment.
Sirius: Dumbledore seems to have sent MY GODSON to live with Lily's vile sister!
Film - Animated
- A couple of examples from the Toy Story series:
- The Iron Giant:
- "There are two kinds of metal in this yard: scrap and art. If ya gotta eat one of 'em, eat the scrap. What you currently have IN YOUR MOUTH IS ART!"
- "Biggest thing around here is probably the prom queenOH MY GOD!!!"
- Ratatouille: When Skinner questions his sous chef how Linguini could have changed the recipe if he had tasted it.
"Because he changed it AS IT WAS GOING OUT THE DOOR!"
- This also happens when Colette lectures Linguini on cooking:
Colette: (sweetly) Keep your station clear, (not so sweetly) or I WILL KILL YOU!
- This also happens when Colette lectures Linguini on cooking:
- A few instances in Peter Pan, and all directed at Mr. Smee:
- "Good form, Mr. Smee? BLAST GOOD FORM! DID PAN SHOW GOOD FORM WHEN HE DID (holds up hook) THIS TO ME?!?"
- "For the last time, Mr. Smee, take the princess back to her people! UNDERSTAND?!?!?"
- "You will go ashore, pick up Tinker Bell, and bring her to me. UNDERSTAND?!"
- And in the sequel, Return to Neverland: "Mr. Smee? Be a good fellow and fix the plank SO I CAN MAKE YOU WALK IT!"
- Jenny from Famine talks like this all the time. And yes, her classmates and teachers think there is something terribly wrong with her because of it.
- Monsters, Inc. Mike does this at least 3 times
Mike: Hey! Good morning, Monstropolis. It's now five after the hour of 6:00 A.M. in the big monster city. Temperature's a balmy 65 degrees - which is good news for you reptiles - and it looks like it's gonna be a perfect day to maybe, hey, just lie in bed, sleep in, or simply... WORK OUT THAT FLAB THAT'S HANGIN' OVER THE BED!! GET UP, SULLEY!!!"
- First when he pretends to be a TV Host while Sulley is sleeping in bed
Sulley: Mike? I think she's getting tired.
- Later as Boo is getting sleepy
Mike: Well, then why don't you find someplace for it to sleep...WHILE I THINK OF A PLAN!
Sulley: Hey, Mike, this might sound crazy, but I don't think that kid's dangerous.
- Then as Sulley doesn't think Boo's dangerous, Mike's not so convinced
Mike: Really? Let's keep it. I always wanted a pet THAT COULD KILL ME!
Randall (to Fungus): If I don't see a new door in my station in 5 seconds, I will personally put you THROUGH THE SHREDDER!!!
- Randall also frequently does this.
- In Alice in Wonderland:
Alice: Three inches is such a wretched height...
Caterpillar: I am exac-tically three inches high, and it is a very good height INDEED!
Alice: But I'm not used to it! And you needn't... SHOUT!
- This is also a character trait of the Queen of Hearts.
- Georgette in Oliver & Company, when she catches Oliver eating from her bowl.
Well, it may be Jenny's house, but everything from the doorknobs down IS MINE!
- In The Hunchback of Notre Dame, when Frollo notices one of Quasi's wooden figures shaped like Esmerelda
Frollo: Isn't this one new? It's awfully good. Looks very much like the...Gypsy Girl. I know... YOU HELPED HER ESCAPE!!!!
- In Kung Fu Panda 2 The wicked peacock Shen does this to his wolves to get his fleet ready. He even whispers to them before screaming it out.
Shen: [whispering] Get the wolves ready. We're loading the ships now.. [yells] NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW!
- Disney's Hercules: Done by Hades too many times to count. Let's just say that James Woods has a fun habit of playing characters who have a tendency to suddenly yell.
- Recess: School's Out: Dr. Phillium Benedict, also by James Woods. One time when he's done yelling at his goons, Benedict then whines "Aww, man! I got spittle on my lapel!"
- Gogo in Big Hero 6, when Yokai pursues the heroes:
- Sebastian in The Little Mermaid
Sebastian: What is all this!?Ariel: It, err...It's just my...collection.Sebastian: [chuckling] Oh, I see. Your collection. Hmm... IF YOUR FATHER KNEW ABOUT THIS PLACE, HE'D— (Flounder cuts him off)
- It happens to be the first line of dialogue in the first Ice Age movie.
Freaky Mammal 1: Why not call it "the Big Chill", or the "Nippy Era." I'm just sayin', how do we know it's an ice age?Freaky Mammal 2: Because...of all...THE ICE!!Freaky Mammal 1: Well, things just got a little chillier.
- Silver from Treasure Planet.
Silver: (Talking to his pirate crew) Now, if ya' pardon my plain speakin', gentlemen, are ya' all (Draws out a cutlass) STARK-RAVIN' TOTALLY BLINKIN' DAFT?!!!
Silver: Morph, hop to it. (Morph refuses) NOW!!
- Later, on Treasure Planet with Jim and Morph
- Madame Medusa in The Rescuers when coercing Penny go down into the cave to retrieve the diamond by taking her teddy bear hostage.
"You get down there and find the big diamond OR YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT TEDDY AGAIN!!!"
- Shrek 2: Shrek does this to Donkey during the carriage ride to Far Far Away.
Shrek: For five minutes, could you not be yourself? FOR FIVE MINUTES!!!
Film - Live Action
- The Big Lebowski: Multiple instances throughout, for example:
The Dude: Hey man, nothing is fucked here...The Big Lebowski: Nothing is FUCKED?The Dude: No...The Big Lebowski: THE GODDAMN PLANE HAS CRASHED INTO THE MOUNTAIN!
Walter: (drawing a pistol) Mark it zero, Smokey or you're in a world of pain.Smokey: (starts stammering)Walter: A world of pain.Smokey: Dude; - h-he's your partner -Walter: (stands up brandishing the pistol threateningly) Has the whole world gone CRAZY? AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE RULES? MARK IT ZERO!
- And this one:
Walter: Saturday is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. Means I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't fucking ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit DON'T FUCKING ROLL! SHOMER SHABBOS!
- In other words, it's pretty much Walter's defining trait.
- The Avengers: Earlier in the film, Bruce Banner in his Troll-ish moment to pretend he's gonna start Hulking Out:
- In Guardians of the Galaxy, we get an example of this from Rocket, tired of people criticizing his escape plan (as he'd escaped from 22 prisons before). He then goes back to speaking normally.
Rocket: I got one plan and that plan requires a frickin' Quarnex battery so FIGURE IT OUT!... Can I get back to it?
- The Thing (1982). Garry (the station commander) was tied down in case he was one of the Things. He has just been proved to be human and not a Thing, but he's still annoyed.
Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
- In the first Austin Powers film, when Powers gets thawed out:
Austin Powers: WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?Basil Exposition: The shouting is a temporary side effect of the unfreezing.Austin Powers: Yes... I'm having difficulty controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE.
"Bring in the fem-BOTS!
- A Running Gag with Frau Farbissina is her inability to give an order without shouting the last part.
- The Wedding Singer:
"Again, something that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!"
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets, on the heels of Patrick Gates meeting his ex-wife and it not going well:
Ben Gates: At least we know where the rest of the plank is.Patrick Gates: What? You know where it is? Why didn't you tell me?Ben Gates: Because, obviously, you have a tendency to OVERREACT!
- Paths of Glory. Colonel Dax's epic "The Reason You Suck" Speech to his commanding officer.
"I apologize for not being entirely honest with you. I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man. AND YOU CAN GO TO HELL BEFORE I APOLOGIZE TO YOU NOW OR EVER AGAIN!"
- Cast Away: This bit of dialog happens when Chuck tells Wilson the volleyball that he's making ready to leave the island for good:
Chuck: We might just make it. Did that thought ever cross your brain? Well, regardless, I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, than to stay here and die on this shithole island, spending the rest of my life talking TO A GODDAMN VOLLEYBALL!!!
- Kill Bill: O-Ren Ishii gets like this after cutting off Tanaka's head:
O-Ren: The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is... I collect your fucking head. JUST like this fucker here. Now, if any of you sons of bitches GOT ANYTHING ELSE TO SAY, NOW'S THE FUCKING TIME!!!!
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe:
Jadis: Tell me, Edmund. Are your sisters deaf?Edmund: No.Jadis: And your brother, is he unintelligent?Edmund: Well, I think so. But Mum says...Jadis: THEN HOW DARE YOU COME ALONE?!
- Bruce Wayne goes ballistic in the apartment scene in Batman when the Joker comes calling.
Bruce Wayne: You want to know what happened to this guy, Jack? Well...he made mistakes...and then he had his...[smashes a vase before exploding]...AND THEN HE HAD HIS LIGHTS OUT! NOW YOU WANT TO GET NUTS?! COME ON! Let's get nuts!
- In The Dark Knight, Harvey Dent/Two-Face is nearly always doing this.
So you think Batman has made Gotham a better place? Look at me....LOOK AT ME!!!
- During Joker's handheld video threat to Batman with a captured Brian Douglas, he continues to address Brian in his usual low-volume mock-playful Joker voice until he gets really loud for the first time in the film, and it is unnerving, especially since he's off-screen so there's no warning it's coming.
- Moulin Rouge!
- "It's not that I'm a jealous man... I just DON'T LIKE OTHER PEOPLE TOUCHING MY THINGS!!!!
- "Never fall in love with a woman who sells herself. It always ends BAD!!!"
- Gettysburg. The mild-mannered Confederate general Lee is giving a Disappointed In You speech to his cavalry commander Jeb Stuart, who went off on a raid instead of scouting for the enemy, leading to near disaster when the Federal army came on them unexpectedly. Stuart wants to duel those officers who've criticized him. Lee replies quietly, "We have no time for that, sir." When Stuart persists, Lee erupts: "I HAVE TOLD YOU THERE IS NO TIME FOR THAT — THERE IS NO TIME!"
- The Boondock Saints. Agent Smecker's epic flipout when he discovers that the blood evidence found at the scene of the Saint's latest shootout is useless to Forensics:
Smecker: They used ammonia! You know what this means? None of this is any good—FUCK!! WHO THE FUCK ARE THEY?!
- Master and Commander. Dr Maturin gets annoyed when his friend Captain Aubrey has to sail off after the French privateer, breaking his promise to let Maturin have a few days exploring the Galapagos Islands. Their conversation gets more and more heated until the captain cuts it off by shouting, "WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR YOUR DAMNED HOBBIES, SIR!"
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Harmony, still pissed off at Harry, ignores his revelation on the case and slams her door (unknowingly) onto his fingers; cut to him leaving the hospital:
Harmony: She sent you to that exact spot!
Harry: That whole thing is wild. You know what else is nuts? THAT YOU CUT OFF MY FINGER!
- In Thor: The Dark World when Thor accused Loki of not having been much help in his cell:
Loki: Who put me there? WHO PUT ME THERE?!
- Also, earlier:
Frigga: Your father—-
Loki: HE'S NOT MY FATHER!
- Also, earlier:
- And in the first Thor:
Loki: No, you took me for a purpose. What was it? [pause] ...TELL ME!!!
- In Clue when Mr. Boddy is found dead in the hallway:
Wadsworth: That's what we're trying to find out! We're trying to find out WHO killed him, and WHERE, and with WHAT!Professor Plum: There's no need to shout!Wadsworth: I'M NOT SHOUTING![Guests stare at him pointedly]Wadsworth: All right, I am! I'm shouting, I'm shouting, I'm shout...[candlestick falls from above and hits him on the head]
- Pacific Rim, when Raleigh makes the mistake of trying to argue with his superior officer:
Marshal Pentecost: Do not let my calm demeanour fool you, RANGER!! NOW is not a good moment for your insubordination!
- Happens in Ace Ventura, when Ace exposed Lois Einhorn as Ray Finkle in disguise.
Ace: If the lieutenant is a definitely woman as she claims to be, then she is suffering from the worst case of hemorrhoids I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
- A memorable one from Fear, when David goes crazy and tries to get into the Walker's house.
David: "It all could have been different Mr. Walker, you should have allowed nature to take it's course. In the end it will anyway...SO LET ME IN THE FUCKING HOUSE!"
- In the Line of Fire:
Mitch Leary: Do you know how easily I could kill you, Frank? Do you know how many times I watched you go in and out of that apartment? You are still alive because I have allowed you to live so you show me some GODDAMN RESPECT!
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Bellatrix voices her displeasure with Harry's lack of fear of Voldemort rather loudly.
Bellatrix: You dare speak his name... YOU FILTHY HALF BLOOD!
- In Waterworld, Helen is trapped on a boat with Kevin Costner's character, The Mariner, and starts getting crabby because she wants "some FOOD!"
- In Jupiter Ascending, when Balem Abrasax isn't whispering, he's shouting. Transcends into Villainous Breakdown by the end.
Balem: Bring her to me NOW!
- The Producers: Both Bialystock and Bloom are prone to this.
Max: Bloom, I'm drowning. Other men sail through life, Bialystock has struck a reef. Bloom, I'm going under. I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. Bloom, I'm reaching out to you. Don't send me to prison... HEEELLP!
- Prometheus: The otherwise taciturn and soft-spoken Fifield gets annoyed and starts to leave the cave when the crew stumbles across some decapitated alien corpses:
Look, I'm just a geologist. I like rocks, I love rocks. It's clear you two don't give a shit about rocks, but what you do seem to care about is gigantic dead bodies, and I don't really have anything to contribute in the gigantic dead body arena! I'm gonna go back to the ship, if you don't mind.
- The Graverobber from Repo! The Genetic Opera has a hell of a time with this during "21st Century Cure".
It's quick!... It's clean... And it's pure. It could change your life, rest assured. It's the 21st Century... Cure! And it's my job... To steal and rob... GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVES!!!!
- The Muppet Christmas Carol has Scrooge Suddenly Shouting at bookkeeper rats.
Scrooge: And how does one spend one's Christmas ON THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE?
- In Animal Farm, after the first windmill is destroyed by a strong wind, Napoleon begins a speech for the animals:
“Comrades,” he said quietly, “do you know who is responsible for this? Do you know the enemy who has come in the night and overthrown our windmill? SNOWBALL!” he suddenly roared in a voice of thunder.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Fake Moody does this whenever he says "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"
- In the Revenge of the Sith novelization, Palpatine is normally quite calm. It's a part of his manipulation of Anakin Skywalker that he seems to be breaking down over what he claims is a conspiracy against him.
"Here—" The Chancellor rummaged around within his desk for a moment, then brought forth a document reader. "Do you know what this is?"
Anakin recognized the seal Padmé had placed on it. "Yes, sir—that's the Petition of the Two Thousand—"
"No, Anakin! No!" Palpatine slammed the document reader on his desktop hard enough to make Anakin jump. "It is a roll of traitors."
Live Action TV
- Sharpe: In the aftermath of a disastrous skirmish, in which an incompetent Colonel managed to lose the King's Colours (the Royal standard of the King of England), he tries to pass off the blame to a heroic Major he sent into the fray unaided, resulting in said Major's death in his report to Ser Arthur Wellesley, his commander and the later Duke Of Wellington. The exchange has to be read:
Wellesley (Calmly):...Major Hogan reports a number of losses, Sir Henry. He says you first lost your head, and, instead of destroying the bridge, you marched over it. He says you then lost your nerve and ran from a small French patrol. He says you lost ten men, a major and two sergeants. He says you lost your sense of honour and destroyed the bridge, cutting off a rescue party led by Lieutenant Sharpe. Major Hogan leaves the worst to the last: He says you lost the King's Colours.Wellesley (roaring): Major Lennox answered with his LIFE sir! As you should have done if you had any sense of honor! You shamed us sir! You disgraced us sir! You will answer. By God you will answer! The South Essex is stood down in name. If I wipe the name I may wipe the shame. I am making you a battalion of detachments, you will fetch and carry. The Light Company put up a fight, so I will let it stand under a new captain.Simmerson: To be commanded by the newly gazetted Captain Gibbons, sir?Wellesley: To be commanded by the newly gazetted Captain Sharpe, sir.
- Saturday Night Live: Chris Farley would do this on several occasions, particularly with his Matt Foley character. He has gone on record to say that's it's based on a quirk his father used to embody.
Chris Farley: It's a little bit of my dad, you know? He used to start out slow and then build to a rage. He'd go like, uh... "I thought I told you boys to SHOVEL THE WALK!!! GET OUT THERE!!!"
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: Phil did this several times with both Carlton and Will, usually after one of their schemes went badly awry. One classic example is the Season 2 episode "Striptease For Two" (where Will and Carlton sell Vivian's heirloom bracelet to buy stock ... for a company that, later that day, goes bankrupt). Made to confess, Phil at first collapses into uncontrollable laughter, and so do Will and Carlton ... only Phil has gotten them to lower their guard, fulfilling the trope's Surprise/Fear category when, without warning, he screams at the top of his lungs, "DO I LOOK LIKE A WHITE GUY NAMED WARD???!!!???" When Will and Carlton try to apologize, an outraged Phil snaps back, "Now you get that bracelet back, and for the next six weeks, I don't want to hear you breathe ... OR I'M CALLING THE FEDS MYSELF!!!"
- In an episode of Workaholics, Ders dips into this trope while he's high on "Mexican steroids" (which are actually PCP).
Ders: Adam had a heart attack. And the doctor said its your fault, and not all the Mexican steroids. So if its cool with you, I'M GONNA WARM UP NOW, MAN!
- From Doctor Who, New Series 1 finale (paraphrased):
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor, and if there's one thing I can do, it's talk. I've got five billion languages and you haven't got one way of stopping me. So if anybody's going to shut up, (spins round) IT'S YOU! (two Daleks jerk back in fear) Okeydoke. Where were we?
The Doctor: I want you to tell your men to run away. I want people to call you 'Colonel Run-away'. I want children, laughing, because they've found the home of Colonel Run-away, and then if ever anyone asks you whether it's a good idea to get to me through the PEOPLE I LOVE... I want you to tell them your name.
- The Eleventh Doctor does it when he gets particularly emotional.
- The Sixth Doctor pretty much embodies this trope.
- Inverted by the Fourth Doctor, who tends to generally shout a lot and suddenly drop into a weird, creepy whisper.
- Mike Myers used this in the same manner as the Austin Powers example when he was on Saturday Night Live.
Kenneth Rhys-Evans: That reminds me of a story that's in no way related. I was working with John Gielgud in a production of Troilus and Cressida, when I discovered I had no control OVER THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!
"Am I the only game piece on the board who doesn't underestimate those denim-wrapped nightmares?!"
- Crowley does this a lot.
Zachariah: "I'd walk these halls and people would AVERT THEIR EYES — I HAD RESPECT!"
- So did Pestilence. "If Satan wants them so bad he can GLUE THEM BACK TOGETHER!"
- Even angels get into the act.
- In Merlin Season 4, where Arthur is confronting Gwen about kissing Lancelot he goes from almost zen-like monotone to completely losing it in less than a second. Considering who it's coming from, it's genuinely scary.
Arthur: Then forgive me, because I must be really stupid. WHAT! WERE YOU DOING?!
- On Frasier, Frasier Crane is the master of this trope:
Roz: Oh that's right, we did meet on a double date!Frasier: THIS MORNING YOU SAID NOTHING!!!
- Firefly Mal has a particularly good unexpected one during a stand off with his "wife" in the episode "Trash".
Mal: "While this is touching, Yosaffbridge, I really- DROP IT, NOW!"
Wash: I'm confused.Saffron: You're asking yourself, if I've got the security codes, why don't I go in, grab it for myself.Wash: No, actually, I was wondering... WHAT'S SHE DOING ON THE SHIP?! We're in space! How did she get here?
- And earlier in the same episode, Wash's reaction to hearing Saffron's plan:
- "Scaring the little gIRL?! LADY!!"
- In Seinfeld, George has one in the episode "The Voice" after crawling his way through an air duct to get back into his boarded-up office.
George: Hello Margery, George Costanza. How are you, sweetheart? Listen, can you give Mr. Thomassoulo a message for me? …Yes. If he needs me, tell him I’M IN MY OFFICE!!! Thanks.
- In Sherlock, Moriarty does this more than once in "The Great Game".
Sherlock: People have died.
Moriarty: That's what people DO!!!
Sherlock: Moriarty is playing with your mind, too. Can't you SEE WHAT'S GOING ON?
- And Sherlock, while under quite a bit of stress in the "The Reichenbach Fall" episode:
- On The Newsroom, after Mackenzie accidently lets slip the details of her and Will's breakup in an email to the whole staff (after he specifically told her not to tell anyone about it), he confronts her in front of everyone in the newsroom. After talking to her in a calm, but simmering tone for a minute or two he finally lets loose:
Will: You know how sometimes something happens in an instant that's so astonishing you just shut down?Mackenzie: Of course, that's understa-
- On The Office (US), Gabe tries to embarrass Andy during his branch manager interview by asking him difficult, irrelevant questions. It backfires:
Gabe: How far away is the sun?Andy: Uh, 93 million miles.Jim: Is it?Andy: Yeah. And the diameter of the sun is 870,000 miles, which makes it 109 times wider than the Earth, and 333,000 times heavier than the Earth-Gabe: Shut up about the sun! SHUT UP ABOUT THE SUN!(awkward silence)
- How I Met Your Mother During Barney's Cannot Spit It Out stage with Robin, Ted and Robin start a Friends with Benefits deal and explain that he's the one who gave them the idea.
Barney: So I'm responsible for... Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. [gets up] Next round's ON ME!
- On the flip side, Ted earlier claims to be totally okay with Barney and Robin hooking up.
Ted: Seriously, I'm fine with this.Barney: I'm so relieved to hear you say that.Ted: Yeah, yeah... Oh hey, I just remembered, my mom is coming into town next month. Maybe YOU'D LIKE TO NAIL HER TOO!
- On the flip side, Ted earlier claims to be totally okay with Barney and Robin hooking up.
- In an installment of Season 8 of Hell's Kitchen, Gordon Ramsay does this to Boris when delivering a Get Out, in his ear. "(whispering) Get out. Get out. ... Get out!!!!!"
- In Spaced, this happens to Tyres as a side effect of his constant clubbing and ecstasy usage.
Tyres: I just wish I could control these FUCKING MOOD SWINGS!!
- Drop the Dead Donkey. Henry Davenport gets drunk at his award ceremony and has an In Vino Veritas moment.
"I remember the days when the television industry was run by giants. Whereas now it is run...BY PYGMIES! (pointing) LIKE HIM! AND HIM!"
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
"Harm, I've been wondering, just for my own curiosity, what's it take to get you to SHUT THE HELL UP?"
- Spike does this when Harmony asks one too many stupid questions.
Buffy: I don't wanna hear it. (turns away)
- Willow's werewolf boyfriend Oz has only a singular display of anger throughout the three eventful seasons we see him. It wasn't when everyone else was freaking out at Buffy for skipping town at the end of Season 2, or even after witnessing Willow and Xander making out in the warehouse basement Spike locked them in. In the Season 4 episode "Wild at Heart", Willow is in tears over seeing Oz with another woman, fellow werewolf Veruca, in his cage after one of the nights where he transforms. Totally naked. While Oz explains that he needed to find a way to cage her up, given that she doesn't care about who she kills while in beast form, it doesn't really help his case much, especially given that Veruca did, in a way, succeed in tempting the beast in him. When Oz tells her to leave so he can explain the situation, Veruca feels the need to keep talking, prompting one incredibly loud "NOW" from Oz the likes of which have never been seen (or heard, rather). Even given her dangerously high snark levels, she apparently leaves so quickly that they didn't even need another shot of her to show it.
- Played seriously in "The Gift". Giles is trying to get Buffy to acknowledge that killing her little sister Dawn may be necessary to save not only the world, but all of reality.
Giles: (gently) I understand that—
Buffy: (whirls back) No! No, you don't understand. We are not talking about this.
Giles: (jumping up from the table) YES, WE BLOODY WELL ARE!
- Jimmy Kimmel Live. Gary Oldman would like to speak on behalf of Actors Against Acting Athletes.
"And just as I, Gary Oldman, would never join an NBA team just because I'm famous, I Gary Oldman would very much appreciate it if professional basketball players would STAY THE BLEEP OUT OF MOVIES!"
- Cracker. A different take on this trope appears in "Men Should Weep". Fitz is complaining about his son's layabout ways.
"You know Mark, you appear to be a symbol of the Lost Generation. Yes, that could well be the case. The crisis of Western capitalism has deprived you of work, motivation and the will to succeed but personally Mark, personally (cuts to someone listening outside the house to the faint voice of Fitz shouting inside) I think you're a bone-idle git!
- Luther. Smug Snake Lucien Burgess having his Villainous Breakdown when he realises Luther has outwitted him.
- Game of Thrones. The closest we ever see The Stoic Lord Tywin Lannister get to a Villainous Breakdown is after he gets the news that his favorite son Jaime Lannister has been captured and his army defeated. Tywin remains silent as his bannermen argue over what to do next, then he shuts everyone up by shouting, "THEY HAVE MY SON!"
- In Battlestar Galactica (2003) episode arc introducing the Battlestar Pegasus, Colonel Fisk scolds some fighter bay pit crewmembers and some marines that were abusing Tyrol and Helo in the brig. He's mostly exercising Tranquil Fury to intimidate them, but when one of them speaks out of line, he suddenly lets loose with "SHUT YOUR FRAKKING MOUTH!", and then returns to silent anger when dressing them down.
- From Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, "Wait a minute... This isn't my world... DISAPPOINTED!"
- A very drunk Scotty in the TOS episode "By Any Other Name" combines this and Mood Whiplash during a drinking contest with an alien. After having made their way through Mr. Scott's entire supply of booze, the engineer has no choice but to break out a special bottle of scotch he had been saving for a special occasion. He speaks of it fondly, before briefly becoming inexplicably angry:
Scotty: All I have is a bottle of very, very, very old scotch. WHISKY!
- During Law & Order's final episode "Rubber Room":
Jack McCoy: You get no argument from me there. But if your obstruction allows a massacre to happen, I will crucify you, Mr. Kralik. I will charge you with negligent homicide and after I convict you I will resign my job and represent the families of the victims in a wrongful death suit against you and the union. By the time I'm done, you'll be finished. So my advice to you is GET OUTTA MY WAY!
- The Flash (2014): Dr Harrison Wells, the Team Dad of S.T.A.R. Labs, is usually quite soft-spoken, but has a tendency to suddenly switch straight to shouting when angry at people (usually Barry).
- Magnificent Century has Pargalı İbrahim Pasha, who is very prone to this. It's a little scary.
- Hancock in 1776 after New York has abstained (courteously) from one too many votes.
"Mr. Morris, WHAT IN HELL GOES ON IN NEW YORK?!"
- In the musical adaptation of Legally Blonde, Paulette has a tendency to do this.
Paulette: (after putting on an Enya CD for Elle) Isn't that relaxing? It's called "CELTIC MOODS"!
Emmet: Anyone who bakes their dog a birthday cake deserves nothing less.
Paulette: And it's shaped LIKE A BONE!
- Bill Engvall does this in one skit when he and his son go to a drugstore to find maxi-pads for his daughter. He can't find the pads, but his son does and yells "HERE'S THE LITTLE GIRL NARROW PADS, DADDYYYYY!!!" To which Bill responds, "...Thank you, son. Listen, I don't think they heard you in SCOTLAND!!!"
- Sam Kinison's whole act centered around this trope. He'd go from soft tones to full tilt screaming in the blink of an eye.
- Same with Lewis Black.
- How can we possibly forget Gilbert Gottfried?
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: The final boss of the bonus mode, Julius Mode, does this when you fight him with the titular character.
Soma: Kuru ga ii...Yuriusu...BERUMONDOOOOOO!
- This legendary line from Dawn of War Soulstorm:
- Kane, of all people, pulls one in Tiberium Wars
But of course, I could not have planned for an ambush BY MY OWN FORCES!
- Halo 4 gives us this happening increasingly frequently as Cortana's Rampancy progresses. Also, we have Captain Andrew Del-Rio after the Chief refuses to give Cortana up for deletion in response to her condition:
Del Rio: I... am ordering you... to SURRENDER THAT AI!!
- Shortly before the release of Super Smash Bros. For WiiU, a half-hour video detailing the game's new features, voiced by the game's Large Ham Announcer. For the most part, his voice is relatively calm, but every time he mentions the name of a character or lists a new feature, he reverts back to his BOOMING ANNOUNCER VOICE.
- In Mass Effect 1, an Internal Affairs agent is working undercover to bring down a corrupt administrator. Shepard can find evidence and choose to give it to her...or s/he can give it to said administrator instead, resulting in this response:
Parisini: Spectre, have you given any more consideration to my offer?
Shepard: Anoleis paid me for it. Tough luck.
Parisini: You're kidding. Do you have any I...WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!
Shepard: Language, miss.
- In Dm C Devil May Cry, Vergil does this twice. Interestingly, the two times that this happens are related to Kat, in missions 12 and 20.
Dante: We don't have time for this!Vergil: THEN MAKE TIME, DANTE!
Kat: Vergil please...Vergil: Stay out of this!
- 8-Bit Theater: Black Mage usually invokes this trope when he needs to sarcastically tell the rest of the party that what they have decided to do is a stupid idea... for him.
- This is Sober!Gamzee's trademark speech quirk in Homestuck. The other characters even complain about his volume fluctuations.
- To be really evil, pretend you're telling a secret as Abel does here in Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures .
- Game Grumps does this quite a bit, but one more memorable instance came from the episode where they played "Mary Kate and Ashley - Sweet 16: License to Drive", where they play out a scene where Mary Kate and Ashley reminisce about making a manmade river in California, just so they can KAYAK DOWN IT!!!
Arin: OH MAH GAWD!!! So... you know...Jon: Ha, yeah, it's just like, "KAYAK DOWN IT, OH MAH GAWD!!! And you know, that's really all one can ask for".
- That Guy with the Glasses does this when something really pisses him off, or when a character in a movie does it.
Komodo: And I'll enjoy your lifespring FOR DESSERT!Yun: NOOOOOO!Komodo: YEEEES!Nostalgia Critic: Now allow me to continue SHOUTING AT RANDOM!
- I'M ACTING!
- A large part of Caddicarus' style of Non Sequitur humour often results in this, particularly when reviewing a game he's about to slaughter, as opposed to salvage.
- JonTron tends to do this when he encounters something particularly ridiculous.
JonTron: Also I'd just like to point out that THERE IS A LICENSED NINTENDO GAME WITH DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN IT!
- Episode 40 of The Music Video Show: "First of all, and I can't stress this enough, ROCK MUSIC DOES NOT HAVE AUTOTUNE!"
- Lt. Hammer does this in Spriggs: a Halo 3 Machinima.
Hammer: I don't care about the mongooses. Not even my warthog. I'm a little bit curious about the rest of the warthogs, and I'd love to know where our power supply went to, but what I really wanna know is WHERE ARE MY GODDAMN TANKS?
- SammyClassicSonicFan uses this a lot, to unintentionally hilarious effect.
Sammy: [calmly] This system [the Nintendo 2DS] was meant for those kinds of people who like non hinged, non folding systems, all right guys? So SHUT THE FRICK UP!!!
- Kirito indulges in this in Sword Art Online Abridged:
Kirito: I'm sorry, am I the only one in this damn game that understands HOW AGGRO WORKS!?
- Although it was done with text, the Animorphs review blog Cinnamon Bunzuh! does this with Ifi's response to the ending of "The Beginning".
Ifi: OhIfi: ItIfi: it appearsIfi: it appears thatIfi: the author
- Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog:
Professor Caninestein: I can't go through with zis! My theories of time und space were developed for peace, not for your evil schemes!
- The Foxbusters:
King Voracious: That baby...Daddy was telling SUCH A NICE STORY!
- On Goof Troop, this was one of Peg and Pete's character traits.
D.W.: What did you draw?Arthur: (holds up drawing of a dog) A dog, and he's bored. What did you draw?D.W.: (holds up drawing of a straight line) A stick.Arthur: (incredulous) A stick?!D.W.: [sudden outburst] A stick from the park where you PROMISED TO TAKE ME TODAY!!!
- A few Looney Tunes examples:
Elmer: Pardon me, but y'know, you wook just wike a wabbit.Bugs: C'mere. (Elmer leans in closer) Listen, Doc, now don't spread this around... but, confidentially...(yells in his ear) I AM A WABBIT!Dan: A runabout! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
Rocky: I don't know how ya's done it, BUT I KNOW YA'S DONE IT!!!
- In "Bugsy and Mugsy", where Bugs Bunny plays psychological warfare on Rocky and Mugsy, leading the former to believe the latter is plotting to kill him. Even after Rocky has beaten Mugsy near-unconscious and left him hog-tied outside of the room, Bugs still manages to make him think Mugsy is to blame, leading to the memorable line:
- From the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Clams":
Squidward: Um, SpongeBob, haven't you noticed that Mr. Krabs has gone COMPLETELY INSANE?!
Squidward: That idea...may just be crazy enough...TO GET US ALL KILLED!
- From "Sandy, SpongeBob, and The Worm":
Squidward: Because I'm all out of MONEY!
- From "Skill Crane"
Squidward: "Spongebob, how could I be out there when I'm standing RIGHT HERE?!"
- From "Graveyard Shift"
Spongebob: "We did it, Patrick! Sandy's gonna be so proud of us. We got that horrible monster out of her house and best of all her pets are safe, 'cause that horrible creature is now HEADING STRAIGHT FOR THE KRUSTY KRAB!"
- From "Wormy"
- The Red Guy from Cow and Chicken did this all the time, no matter what. He was crazy like that.
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Father does this a lot. Take the episode "Operation: T.R.A.I.N.I.N.G.", for example:
Henchman: (as he tries to open the door containing the KND code module) Uh... I think it's locked.Father: Oh, really? Well, I guess we'll just have to pack up and go—OF COURSE IT'S LOCKED!!!
Lee: Cool!Father: Yes, you say "Cool", but it's about to get very HOT!!!
- In the same episode, Father makes it clear to the KND-in-training that he plans to destroy their base and them along with it.
- Happens surprisingly often in Invader Zim, most by the titular character, but other characters are prone to it.
Tallest Red: (After hearing Zim Motor Mouth for three hours) I was curious to see if you'd shut up on your own, but it's been three hours now, Zim. THREE HOURS!
- One of Ren Hoek's traits from The Ren & Stimpy Show:
Ren: I'll watch some TV... it'll help me to RELAX! (grins maniacally, creepy BGM plays)
- In "The Big Shot", Ren tries to take his mind off Stimpy having left to become a big Hollywood star:
Stimpy: "What's the "big sleep" Ren?Ren: Come closer... It's DEATH!, DEATH YOU IDIOT! YOU KNOW WHAT DEAD IS?! IT'S WHAT WE'LL BE IF WE DON'T GET OUT OF HERE!
- In "The Big House!", after another inmate at the pound is taken away for "the big sleep":
- Denzel Crocker from The Fairly OddParents does this all the time.
Crocker: If they survive, THEY'RE FAIRIES! If they don't, I HAVE TENURE!!!
- From the South Park "Mysterion Trilogy"
Cartman: You can't kick me out of Coon & Friends. I'm the FUCKING COON!!!
- In Clone High a JFK clone opens door to Joan, who's standing in the rain.
JFK: You're wet. Allow me to dry you off... WITH MY PANTS!
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Cindy would often do this to Jimmy whenever his inventions, discoveries etc started wreaking havoc on Retroville.
Cindy: Uh, excuse me, Neutron. Now that you're done talking to yourself...WE HAVE A SITUATION HERE!
- Edd from Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy has a knack for doing this when exasperated.
"No one would ever suspect Mother Nature to harbor a spring loaded circus cannon and BLOW INNOCENT BYSTANDERS TO KINGDOM COME!