open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Full Metal Panic!, Sousuke visibly gulping can only mean one thing: Kaname is PISSED.
- In Naruto, Sakura did a loud gulp when they enter a classroom full of thugs. All of which, stared at her team.
- The Fullmetal Alchemist episode "The Tale of Teacher" has Izumi do this when she finds out she must survive one month alone in the Briggs Mountains in order to earn an apprenticeship.
- Appears in Spirited Away when Chihiro has to pick out which of the pigs are her parents
Film - Animated
- In Toy Story, Woody gulps loudly when he sees Buzz Lightyear for the first time.
- In Chicken Run, all the chickens gulp in unison after Ginger tells them that the food they've been eating was to fatten them up for slaughter.
- In Happy Feet, Noah gulps when he sees a helicopter for the first time.
- In Lilo & Stitch, Pleakley gives a very visible gulp after dodging a door-piercing Improvised Weapon thrown by Jumba (who was aiming at Stitch, but missed).
- In The Road to El Dorado, Miguel and Tulio both do it when they have to play a ball game they've never played before against fifteen of the best players in the city, and are expected to win since they are gods.
- In The Lion King, there's a group hyena gulp during the Simba/Scar confrontation at the end.
Scar: Simba? Simba! Oh, I'm a little surprised to see you...alive? (glares at the hyenas)
- In Monsters, Inc., Randall does this when Boo defeats him and Sully tells him "Looks like you're out of the job."
- The Were-Rabbit from The Curse Of The Wererabbit emits a Loud Gulp as Victor Quartermaine takes aim at him during the final fight scene.
Film - Live Action
- In Death Proof, Lee actually says "Gulp" when she realizes her friends have left her with mister Redneck Rapist.
- In Fright Night (1985), Peter Vincent does one after finding out Evil Ed has become a vampire, thanks to Jerry Dandrige.
- Ichi the Killer
- Episode 1 of Star Wars has the entire Gungan army do this when they see the droid army deploying their infantry. Captain Tarpals then tells Jar Jar "Ouch time."
- After Ricky's crazy-button has been pressed in Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2, his girlfriend lets out one as she realizes that Ricky is going to kill her next.
- Scott Pilgrim does this in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World when he's about to be beat up by Lucas Lee's stunt doubles.
- In Problem Child 2, Ben Healy Jr. (John Ritter) gulps audibly when asking nurse Amy Young (Amy Yasbeck) out on a date out of nervousness.
- In Pee-wee's Big Adventure. Pee-Wee, when he learns that Large Marge is a ghost.
- Gatsby does one in The Great Gatsby during tea time with Daisy and Nick, probably due to nervousness.
- Done by Oscar's dog in ThanksKilling after it stumbles across the killer turkey.
Live Action TV
- Ware House 13: Claudia has an epic one when she offhandedly mentions a few major recent incidents at the Warehouse, and Mrs. Fredericks asks her to "debrief" her on them.
- Claudia also has an absolutely adorable Double Gulp at the end of "Age Before Beauty", when her crush Todd makes a surprise appearance at the episode's end.
- Done several times by Don Ramón in El Chavo del ocho, always while looking at the camera.
- Several times throughout The Wonder Years, whenever Kevin had an Oh Crap! moment, the narrator would simply say, "Gulp!"
- On Sesame Street, Kermit the Frog does this at the prospect of eating a fly.
- Sneaky version in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: While discussing the newly-found scythe in Season 7, they stumble upon an ancient name for it: "M question-mark." Giles points out that the "question mark" (ʔ) is actually a glottal stop in the International Phonetic Alphabet. What does "mʔ" sound like? The English word would be "gulp."
- A cheating student in Zits does this when her teacher suspects her of using a (fictional) cheating website, www.bootleg.com, in order to get better grades in school.
- Happens in Brain Dead 13 when Lance is fighting the ghosts.
- Quite a few in Tales of Monkey Island, actually:
- In Chapter 2, Guybrush does this when he tries showing Morgan the Pyrite Parrot, and she says that since the parrot is cute, she'll take it as a souvenir after she kills Guybrush.
- In Chapter 4, when Stan asks, "No hard feelings over all those various civil and criminal charges?" Guybrush replies, "Water under the bridge!" before raising his hook and continuing, "A bridge with a fast-talking shyster-slash-salesman dangling from it," causing Stan to gulp in fear.
- Zero in Mega Man Zero emits one when he's riding Omega's missile and realizing he's about to get hit by an ICBM.
- In the Subspace Emissary campaign of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Ice Climbers do this just as Meta Knight prepares to battle Lucario in a cutscene.
- Happened in Sly 2: Band of Thieves when Bentley had to drive the Cooper Van which had a stick shift.
- In Homestar Runner, the titular character (twice), 1-Up, Fightgar, Gunhaver, Silent Rip and Crackotage say it out loud. Often preceded with an "Mmmmmm".
- Parodied in this College Humor video.
- Early, extreme example in the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoon The Fowl Ball (1930). As nervous Oswald loudly gulps, his Adam's apple bobs in his throat—and it's shaped like a real apple, complete with stem.
- Happens very frequently in Tom and Jerry cartoons, with either Tom or Jerry in an Oh Crap! situation.
- Happens in every episode of Moral Orel, just before Orel's father beats him as punishment for whatever he did wrong that day.
- Character Development ensues when he stops reacting with this trope and starts to respond with a deadpan response.
- In the very first He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983) episode, "Diamond Ray of Disappearance", Teela is confronted by the villain and does a very deep gulp that sounds rather mannish!
- Disney has two stock sound effects of this that often appear in either the Classic Disney Shorts, or their classic animated films up to at least the late 1970s. In fact, this is Donald Duck's standard Oh Crap! Reaction Shot.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In The Amazing World of Gumball, Gumball does this in the episode 'The Curse'.
- X-Men: Evolution this was Evan Daniels' reaction to being caught by the police in his school after Quicksilver vandalizes the school.
- Shaggy and Scooby do this in Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery when they see that their opponent is Kane.
- Bart gets this in The Simpsons episode "Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk" when Marge orders him to get Homer from Moe's right after he plays one of his prank phone calls on Moe.
- He also does it in "Principal Charming" when Skinner screams his name over the intercom for writing his name on the playground with sodium tetrasulfide.
- Looney Tunes gives us "Hopalong Casualty." When the coyote reads the fine print on the Earthquake Pills label ("Caution: not effective on road runners"), this is his reaction.