Step 1: Observe Oh Crap situation. Step 2: Emit Loud Gulp.
A Reaction Shot
where a character emits a clearly audible *Gulp!*
Sometimes accompanied by a visibly-bobbing Adam's apple. Usually happens in an Oh Crap
Very popular in animated works
and Comic Books
Also see Spit Take
and Saying Sound Effects Out Loud
. Not to be confused with Gigantic Gulp
Anime and Manga
Film - Animated
- Phoenix Wright in Turnabout Storm reacts with this after hearing that dragons exist in Equestria and Twilight Sparkle's (the one responsible for him being dragged there) assistant Spike happens to be one.
Film - Live Action
- In Toy Story, Woody gulps loudly when he sees Buzz Lightyear for the first time.
- In Chicken Run, all the chickens gulp in unison after Ginger tells them that the food they've been eating was to fatten them up for slaughter.
- In Happy Feet, Noah gulps when he sees a helicopter for the first time.
- In Lilo & Stitch, Pleakley gives a very visible gulp after dodging a door-piercing Improvised Weapon thrown by Jumba (who was aiming at Stitch, but missed).
- In The Road to El Dorado, Miguel and Tulio both do it when they have to play a ball game they've never played before against fifteen of the best players in the city, and are expected to win since they are gods.
- In The Lion King, there's a group hyena gulp during the Simba/Scar confrontation at the end.
- In Death Proof, Lee actually says "Gulp" when she realizes her friends have left her with mister Redneck Rapist.
- In Fright Night, Peter Vincent does one after finding out Evil Ed has become a vampire, thanks to Jerry Dandrige.
- Ichi the Killer
- Episode 1 of Star Wars has the entire Gungan army do this when they see the droid army deploying their infantry. Captain Tarpals then tells Jar Jar "Ouch time."
- After Ricky's crazy-button has been pressed in Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2, his girlfriend lets out one as she realizes that Ricky is going to kill her next.
- Scott Pilgrim does this in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World when he's about to be beat up by Lucas Lee's stunt doubles.
- In Problem Child 2, Ben Healy Jr. (John Ritter) gulps audibly when asking nurse Amy Young (Amy Yasbeck) out on a date out of nervousness.
- In Pee Wees Big Adventure. Pee-Wee, when he learns that Large Marge is a ghost.
- Ware House 13: Claudia has an epic one when she offhandedly mentions a few major recent incidents at the Warehouse, and Mrs. Fredericks asks her to "debrief" her on them.
- Claudia also has an absolutely adorable Double Gulp at the end of "Age Before Beauty", when her crush Todd makes a surprise appearance at the episode's end.
- Done several times by Don Ramón in El Chavo del ocho, always while looking at the camera.
- Several times throughout The Wonder Years, whenever Kevin had an Oh Crap moment, the narrator would simply say, "Gulp!"
- Happens in Brain Dead 13 when Lance is fighting the ghosts.
- Quite a few in Tales of Monkey Island, actually:
- In Chapter 2, Guybrush does this when he tries showing Morgan the Pyrite Parrot, and she says that since the parrot is cute, she'll take it as a souvenir after she kills Guybrush.
- In Chapter 4, when Stan asks, "No hard feelings over all those various civil and criminal charges?" Guybrush replies, "Water under the bridge!" before raising his hook and continuing, "A bridge with a fast-talking shyster-slash-salesman dangling from it," causing Stan to gulp in fear.
- In Homestar Runner, the titular character (twice), 1-Up, Fightgar, Gunhaver, Silent Rip and Crackotage say it out loud. Often preceded with an "Mmmmmm".
- Early, extreme example in the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoon The Fowl Ball (1930). As nervous Oswald loudly gulps, his Adam's apple bobs in his throat—and it's shaped like a real apple, complete with stem.
- Happens very frequently in Tom and Jerry cartoons, with either Tom or Jerry in an Oh Crap situation.
- Happens in every episode of Moral Orel, just before Orel's father beats him as punishment for whatever he did wrong that day.
- Character Development ensues when he stops reacting with this trope and starts to respond with a deadpan response.
- In the very first He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983) episode, "Diamond Ray of Disappearance", Teela is confronted by the villain and does a very deep gulp that sounds rather mannish!
- Disney has two stock sound effects of this that often appear in either the Classic Disney Shorts, or their classic animated films up to at least the late 1970s. In fact, this is Donald Duck's standard Oh Crap Reaction Shot.
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:
- In The Amazing World of Gumball, Gumball does this in the episode 'The Curse'.
- X-Men: Evolution this was Evan Daniels' reaction to being caught by the police in his school after Quicksilver vandalizes the school.