Web Animation: Cheat Commandos
Cheat Commandos... Rock, rock on!
Cheat Commandos, maybe fighting for freedom
And each is sold separately
Cheat Commandos, they're probably battling evil
Buy all our playsets and toys!
What started out as a spin-off of Strong Bad telling The
Cheat that "Firebert is not a good Commando name" evolved over time into a sub-series (of sorts) on Homestar Runner
. The series is an obvious spoof of G.I. Joe
, right down to Blue Laser
being a voice parody of Chris Latta
's turn as Cobra Commander.
This series contains examples of:
- Angry Fist-Shake / Skyward Scream: Gunhaver does both at the end of "Shopping For Danger".
- Artistic License – Gun Safety: The crew play with a new bulletproof vest they got by shooting each other with Gunhaver's gun. Later Admiral Flashfight is killed because everyone thought he was wearing the vest.
- Bad Boss: Blue Laser Commander in addition to being abrasive and shouty once stuck a fork in a minion's eye so he could tell them apart.
- Big "Shut Up!": In "Comamndos In the Classroom", one of the "pro-positive life tools" Gunhaver gives to Reynold is to "envision [his] inapprorpriate-ors as giant slices of pizza". In an Easter egg at the end, Blue Laser Commander says this to some Blue Laser foot soldiers who are dressed up like pizza slices:
One foot soldier: Um, I'm not entirely sure this is what they were talking about, sir.
Blue Laser Commander: SHUT IT! Pizza can't talk!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Very common, as they continuously reinforce that they are Merchandise-Driven.
- Common examples include reffering to locations as playsets and talking about how certain characters are limited edition.
- As seen in a commentary on fan costumes, in which one man is dressed as the "voice" of Gunhaver, Crack Stuntman, Strong Bad describes him as "the voice of this cartoon man in this cartoon show" and who does "the voice of this other cartoon man inside the cartoon man show".
- Buffy Speak: In "Shopping for Danger", when the Cheat Commandos don't let him come with them on their mission, Reynold gripes, "I never get to go on any missions. I would be a good mission... guy."
- Card-Carrying Villain: Blue Laser.
- Face-Heel Turn: In the second part of "2-Part Episode", the Blue Laser Commander takes advantage of Reynold's dissatisfaction with the Cheat Commandos to recruit him as a new Blue Laser agent, named "Scrawnjob". In this role, Reynold is given credit for Blue Laser's diabolical plot to drive up the price of skee-ball prizes as a way to make kids become part of criminal groups.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Blue Laser is more than happy to invite the Commandos over for Thanksgiving.
- Merchandise-Driven: "Buy All Our Playsets and Toys!"
- Non-Action Guy: Reynold. They never let him forget it either.
- Parody: Of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero. Several of Blue Laser's plots were actual G.I. Joe episodes. Blue Laser Commander has a high, raspy voice like Cobra Commander.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: As an evil league of violence, Blue Laser naturally has several plans for world domination. However, the toons seen never actually show them carrying out such plans.
- Red Shirt: The Green Helmets, to the extent where they are seen begging for help only for Gunhaver to abandon them on the grounds that "we got, like, fifty of them."
- Rhymes on a Dime / Verbal Ticked: Crackotage's main shtick. Granted, he's a parody of this kind of character and as such, he's not very good at it, if "Commandos in the Classroom" is any indication.
Crackotage: Movie night is my favorite night. I think it is my favorite night. Hee-hee-hoo-hoo!
Silent Rip: Are you even trying anymore?
- Show Within a Show: To Homestar Runner. The Cheat plays the role of Firebert and Gunhaver's voice actor, Crack Stuntman became a reoccurring character.
- Signature Team Transport: The Action Figure Storage Vehicle, further parodying the show's Merchandise-Driven nature.
- Sissy Villain: The Blue Laser Commander, and hammy to boot.
- Smurfette Principle: Parodied with Fox Face whose packaging notes being female as her unique feature. Oddly she's never had a speaking role.
- Villains Out Shopping: Literally in "Shopping for Danger." Blue Laser is out grocery shopping on Double Coupon Day, and it's up to the Commandos to stop them from saving money that could go into buying new superweapons.
Gunhaver: They could use all their savings to make a button that will make it snow at the beach!
Silent Rip: But sir, what about beach volleyball?
Gunhaver: There won't be any more beach volleyball!
- Who's Laughing Now?: Reynold in the second half of "2-Part Episode".