"Buy all our playsets and toys!"
What started out as a spin-off of Strong Bad telling The
Cheat that "Firebert is not a good Commando name" evolved over time into a sub-series (of sorts) on Homestar Runner
. The series is an obvious spoof of G.I. Joe
, right down to Blue Laser
being a voice parody of Chris Latta
's turn as Cobra Commander.
This series contains examples of:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Very common, as they continuously reinforce that they are Merchandise-Driven.
- As seen in a commentary on fan costumes, in which one man is dressed as the "voice" of Gunhaver, Crack Stuntman, Strong Bad describes him as "the voice of this cartoon man in this cartoon show" and who does "the voice of this other cartoon man inside the cartoon man show".
- Face-Heel Turn: In the second part of "2-Part Episode", the Blue Laser Commander takes advantage of Reynold's dissatisfaction with the Cheat Commandos to recruit him as a new Blue Laser agent, named "Scrawnjob". In this role, Reynold is given credit for Blue Laser's diabolical plot to drive up the price of skee-ball prizes as a way to make kids become part of criminal groups.
- Merchandise-Driven: "Buy All Our Playsets and Toys!"
- Parody: Of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero. Several of Blue Laser's plots were actual G.I. Joe episodes.
- Show Within a Show
- Sissy Villain: The Blue Laser Commander, and hammy to boot.