fight with honour!
Irma: And women fight with handbags!
The use of a purse or a briefcase/suitcase as an Improvised Weapon
. The former may be related to When Elders Attack
, while the latter to Briefcase Blaster
Often occurs in the Cat Fight
and Wimp Fight
. (Little note - fights in football in Britain are often mere slap fights, and the commentators occasionally describe such a fight as "handbags", a shortened version of Handbags At Dawn.) One reason people should Never Mess with Granny
Anime & Manga
- Stuck Rubber Baby is a comic depicting civil rights demonstrations in the south. One character learns to defend herself with a brick - in her handbag.
- Ms. Tree carries her pistol in her handbag, which makes it handy to swing at a enemy with unexpected force.
- Harry Potter: Mrs. Figg hits Mundungus Fletcher with her handbag, which, from the clanking, appeared to be filled with cans of cat food.
- In Discworld, Agony Aunt Dotsie's unnaturally heavy purse provides a quick removal of any threat
- There is a (possibly staged) YouTube video of a little old lady in a crosswalk responding to the impatient honking of a motorist by whacking his front bumper with her handbag hard enough to set off his airbags.
- When she was with Randy Savage in the late-1980's, Sherri Martel regularly came to the ring with a loaded purse. It backfired on her at SummerSlam 1989 when Hulk Hogan got a hold of it.
- Eddie Izzard once suggested that the Queen should be attacked by dogs (long story) and that she could defend herself with a handbag with a brick in it.
- In 4th edition Champions, the combat example was a bank robbery. At one point, a little old lady customer thwacks one of the goons with her purse. He goes down.
- Killer7: Garcian Smith's down attack involves hitting an enemy with his large suitcase.
- MapleStory: a briefcase is a usable weapon for players.
- Handbags were available as weapons in Final Fantasy Tactics - but only for female characters of a few classes. Some of them actually packed a rather impressive punch.
- Chat in Tales of Eternia uses these as weapons, though sometimes she just pulls hammers out of them.
- Karol from Tales of Vesperia smacks foes over the head with his large handbag for his various debuffing artes.
- Handbags are a possible weapon (albeit a very weak one) for players to find in Dead Rising.
- It's definitely in the sequel as shown here.
- In The Sims 1 & 2, the ambiguously wedded Mrs./Miss Crumplebottom carries a handbag that, while not murderous, is quite humiliating.
- Kisarah Westfield from SNK's Neo Geo Battle Coliseum is a schoolgirl who fights with her bookbag, which is a callback to the fighting game she originally comes from (Aggressors of Dark Kombat) where various weapons can be picked up and temporarily used.
- A handbag is the first weapon you can give to Eileen in the Escort Mission section of Silent Hill 4. (Protip: Don't do it! Her AI will flip from "cower-and-hide" to "reckless enthusiasm" and she'll take damage. If you need the help, give her one of the better weapons you find later.)
- Irma, the dorky friend of April O'Neill, utters the battle cry in the page quote in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), while facing off against an unstoppable robot.
- In the Looney Tunes shorts:
- Boston Quackie, Quackie's girlfriend Mary clobbers the man in the green hat with her handbag. Of course, she is carrying an anvil in it...
- Ballot Box Bunny, Bugs pretends to be a baby and accuses mayoral candidate Yosemite Sam of biting him on the nose during a "kissing babies" PR stunt. A crowd of angry mothers immediately swarm Sam and beat him with their handbags
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: In "The Mysterious Mare Do Well", Rainbow Dash gives Granny Smith an unwanted helping hoof and gets bonked with Granny's purse for her troubles.
- In one episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man, an old lady on the subway saves Spider-Man's life by employing this technique ... against the Lizard!
- Aunt Bogunda from Mr Bogus will very often use her purse to beat up those who dare to oppress her, sometimes even bonking Bogus on the head. It especially doesn't help matters that Bogunda is an Expy of Mrs. Marcus.