Haas and Benjamin The World's Greatest Tag Team
is a professional wrestling tag team consisting of Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas. The duo debuted near the end of 2002 in World Wrestling Entertainment
as part of Kurt Angle
's new faction, Team Angle. After they broke ranks with Angle and started feuding with him, they adopted the "World's Greatest Tag Team" name. Both sharing amateur wrestling backgrounds, the duo proved to be highly successful performers in the ring. More impressively, they debuted during a period where popular tag teams such as Edge
and The Hardy Boyz were no longer together, so TWGTT helped to fill the void in the tag team scene. Unfortunately, the duo split up in 2004 after Benjamin was traded to the Raw brand. While Benjamin went on to have a relatively successful singles career
, Haas was lost in the shuffle and was briefly released in 2005 before returning to the company the following year. In 2006, the duo re-formed their tag team before they were eventually split up again.
The two were both released from their contracts in 2010. They both found their way to Ring of Honor
and competed there for 3 years. Benjamin left for New Japan Pro Wrestling
at the very end of 2012; Haas stayed in Ring of Honor until March 2013, when he quit in what so far appears to have been a legitimate shoot, disbanding the team.
As always, The Other Wiki
has more information on their individual careers.
"The World's Greatest Trope Team":
- Badass Boast:
- Their name says it all.
- After Shelton had started picking up wins over Triple H, he cooly told "The Game" that he could call him "Mr Benjamin."
- Bash Brothers
- Black Best Friend: Shelton, to Charlie.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Breakup Breakout: Subverted. Shelton managed to have the better singles career of the two by far, although as a team they have more drawing power than either of them separately. Also they got back together.
- Canon Discontinuity: Regarding Benjamin's relationship with Brock Lesnar. Benjamin and Lesnar formed a tag team called the Minnesota Stretching Crew in OVW, so when Kurt Angle debuted Team Angle, he claimed he'd drafted Benjamin to make it personal. Only, since the casual fans didn't follow OVW, Angle claimed Benjamin was Lesnar's former roommate. After only a couple weeks the roommate thing was dropped, and even later acknowledged the Benjamin/Lesnar tag team.
- Cool Shades: Benjamin would occasionally don a pair.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Benjamin as "the Gold Standard."
- Face-Heel Turn: At Final Battle 2011, a pre-taped anti-WWE promo by the Briscoes and a pre-match beatdown by Haas and Benjamin turned WGTT from Screwed by WWE to arguably the most hated heels in Ring Of Honor.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: In real life. Benjamin was the best man to Haas' wedding.
- Charlie once claimed that his brother may have sent Benjamin to him after his death.
- Jack of All Stats
- Jerkass: Charlie Haas in ROH.
- Jerk Jock
- Let's Get Dangerous: Benjamin's CMOA was the time he was drafted to Raw and found himself on the bad side of Villain Sue Triple H. Most expected Shelton to become C-List Fodder for the Game. As it turns out, Shelton beats his ass! TWICE!
- Lightning Bruiser: A duo of Lightning Bruisers at that.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Charlie is currently the biggest Jerkass in Ring of Honor, but outside the ring he's devoted to his family and his faith.
- After Charlie quit Ring of Honor, it was claimed that Charlie was a locker room bully who wanted the RoH locker room to have a WWE style clearly defined pecking order. He got in a backstage fight with Grizzly Redwood the night he quit that ended with him punching Grizz, whom he outweighs by about 100 lbs.
- Mythology Gag: The maroon & silver singlets they wore until they first split-up were one, as those were the respective colors of the universities they went to.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Haas is a Jive Turkey.
- Salt and Pepper: Shelton is more the Smug Snake while Haas, ironically, is the above.
- Spirited Competitor
- Those Two Guys
- Wrestling Family: Charlie Haas' brother was his tag team partner, before his sad death.
- Wrestling Psychology
- Writing Around Trademarks: Now known as Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team