Wrestling: London And Kendrick
Paul London and Brian Kendrick was a professional wrestling tag team best known for their time together in World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). The team never had an official team name, but were just referred to as "the tag team of London and Kendrick." In 2006 London and Kendrick put the tag team name "The Hooliganz" on their wrestling attires and tried to convince the WWE management to start calling the team by that name, but were unsuccessful in their attempts. However, many fans and especially smarks called them 'The Hooliganz' as they intended.
They first began teaming together in 2003 as a part of WWE, but Kendrick left the company shortly thereafter. When he returned in mid-2005, he and London reunited as a tag team. In May 2006 the duo won the WWE Tag Team Championship from MNM; it was Kendrick's first title victory with the company, and London's third. Their reign was the longest since WWE created the title in 2002, and they became the fourth longest-reigning tag team champions in the company's history, finally dropping the titles to Deuce 'n Domino in April 2007.
Later in 2007, London and Kendrick were drafted from Smack Down
to the Raw brand, where they briefly held the World Tag Team Championship. They would continue to work together until Kendrick was drafted back to Smack Down
in the 2008 supplemental draft, thus disbanding the team until 2010, when they reunited in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla following their releases from WWE. They have since reunited on several occasions.
Tropes associated with London and Kendrick include:
- Badass Beard: London spotted one for a while.
- Book Ends: In the Armageddon match, when the Hardys and London and Kendrick were alone in the ring, only Matt and Paul were standing after they traded blows. More than 20 minutes later on a ladder, Matt and Paul were the ones fighting to get the championship, but with Paul winning.
- Breakup Breakout: After they split up in 2008, it initially looked as if Brian would be this, with a new gimmick & look as The Brian Kendrick & competed for the WWE title on PPV, whilst Paul languished on Raw. However, Brian wound up dropping back down the card & both were ultimately released.
- Captain Ersatz: They look and act similar to Bill and Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures, and even dressed up as them for one of the WWE Magazine interviews. Heck, they were even addressed as them note
- Catch Phrase: One of their best known quotes—which was printed on their T-Shirt—was known as "We're here, but we're not all yet there."
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Definitely. Who else goes in the ring with masks, strange struts and joke about wearing fairy costumes and just be plain happy go lucky?
- This was lampshaded by JBL for a while; he kept telling Cole that the kids weren't normal and that they came from Pluto.
- Color-Coded Characters: Their ring-gear had different colors but each represented something during their career.
- Their first outfit was purple which could add to their Red and Blue personalities.
- They soon had separate red and blue outfits, but red was the most significant as it was worn when they won the tag team championship and defended them. Blue was significantly seen when they had their six victories against MNM, as well as at WrestleMania 23 when they served as lumberjacks for the pre-show match.
- Their most famous one is their Black (Brian)/White (Paul) ensemble which was worn when they had big shifts in the team. In No Mercy 2006, they gain an ally in Ashley Massaro, and in Armageddon 2006, they had the famous Ladder Match. It was later used up until April 2007 This outfit was even shown in their wrestling action figures for a while.
- The soon had a sky blue/gold ensemble with an improved joker face and another which was purple/green, but they're the least remembered out of the outfits.
- Combination Attack: The two were known to work together very well, double teaming with kicks and tossing each other at their opponents. They also were known for their creativity in the combination attacks. These include:
- Sunset Flip from a Dropsault (Paul would dropsault the opponent as Brian would sunset flip them)
- Brian would do his Sliced Bread #2 and Paul would use Shooting Star Press with Brian as a platform)
- Brian would do his Sliced Bread with Paul underneath his opponent. The elevation added to create a powerbomb.
- Their finishing move, "Get Well Soon". Paul would pass the opponent and enziguri the back of his head while Brian hit a reverse STO.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: Pun aside note these two gave it to MNM just weeks before their Judgement Day clash in 2006.
- Cool Mask: As part of their ring entrance attire that went along with their new costumes. They ranged from Phantom of the Opera masks, purple fencing hoods and harlequin masks. This was lampshaded one time by commentary:
: What is the deal with the masks that London and Kendrick wear?
JBL: Have you seen them without it? They aren't really good looking.
Cole: Yeah, like right now and every week.
JBL: (sarcastically) Ooh, Mr. Smarty.
- They even had a entrance video with a floating mask and masks being part of the video.
- Corpsing: London, and infamously so, during the shot of a broken Mr McMahon walking a hallway with the entire WWE roster on either side, before he left the arena & was seemingly Killed Off for Real in a limo explosion. It was so noticeable that when WWE.com compiled a list of suspects for the crime, they included London purely because he was the only one grinning as McMahon walked to his apparent death. London later stated that he was grinning simply because the only direction everyone was given was to look sombre & he thought the entire situation was amusing, but had no idea about the planned explosion.
- This gets a Call Back a month later when Vince turns to London and Kendrick. London sports that same smile and Vince goes, "Keep that smile on your face."
- Defeat Means Friendship: During London's short heel run in 2005, he lost to a returning Kendrick, and promptly cut a promo saying how he went from being Cruiserweight Champion to not even being able to beat Kendrick. This set up their tag team surprisingly.
- Dynamic Entry: They based their entrance on the Warlord's dash to the ring. After they do their dash, they then slide into the ring, climb up onto the ring posts, point to each other, back flip and then grasp their hands. Once they got their masks, they remove them and pose for the fans.
- When Ashley was with them, she would motion the boys to do their back-flip and remove the masks for them.
- Fan Nickname: Londrick (based on their last names). They were widely called 'Hooliganz' amongst fans (which they have on their boots along with a harlequin face) but not officially called it by WWE.
- Fingerless Gloves: Their ring gear had these type of gloves with question marks on them.
- Fragile Speedster: London and Kendrick are pretty fast, but they can't take a lot of hits.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: They both trained together in Shawn Michaels' Wrestling Academy, fought as a team (They only fought one on one four times), their entrance has them pointing to each other before back flipping before grabbing hands, and they like hugging each other a lot.
- Spell My Name with a "The": The Brian Kendrick.
- Kid-Appeal Character
- Long Runner: They have the fourth longest reign as Tag Team Championsnote at a total of 331 days. In comparison, the teams ahead of them were from the old WWF days. Not bad for a low-midcard tag team.
- Man in White: Paul when he and Brian were in their black/white outfits.
- Motif: A main trend for London and Kendrick were them being rebels, pranksters and jokers. Their outfits had harlequin faces and fleur-de-lis on them, they were known wearing masks, were very happy-go-lucky and crazy, and once pantsed an opposing team.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Every now and then, Brian was shown to wear pink leg warmers. They've also been known to have two sets of ring gear that are purple. Oh, and they pretty much can bowl over most guys with suicide dives.
- During their time with Ashley, Ashley was dressed as a fairy for a Trick or Treat Divas Battle Royal. Paul jokes around that Ashley 'stole his costume' and that was the costume he was going to wear for Halloween (for those who want a description, the costume has a black corset and has purple fairy wings)
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Paul being the red and Brian the blue.
- Star-Making Role: Their championship win against MNM at Judgement Day 2006 or the Fatal Four-Way Ladder Match at Armageddon 2006.
- Two Guys and a Girl: For a while, they were the team of London, Kendrick and Ashley with Ashley considered as their manager/friend/love interest.
- White Dude, Black Dude: Subverted with the black as Paul is actually Mexican.