Kobashi! Kobashi! Kobashi!
Who is Kenta Kobashi
? Simply put, he is one of the greatest practitioners of puroresu
in history. Kobashi started his career with All Japan Pro Wrestling
by losing 63 matches in a row, all to establish him as the ultimate Determinator
. He eventually rose to the main event and put on legendary bouts with longtime nemesis Mitsuharu Misawa
, Akira Taue
, and Toshiaki Kawada
. Oh, and he killed cancer with a Burning Hammer
Announced his retirement in December 2012 — 25 years after his first match — before spending the next four months training just for his retirement match, which was held on May 11th, 2013.
The following tropes are found in Kenta Kobashi:
- Determinator: His (original) defining trait.
- Finishing Move: Kenta Kobashi used the Burning Hammer seven times in his career. It won the match every time.
- Lightning Bruiser: In his early years, complete with having a moonsault for his finisher, although age and a horrific number of knee injuries (at least in part racked up from said moonsaults) turned him into a Mighty Glacier.
- The Mentor: To Kenta Kobayashi. To avoid confusion with his mentor, Kobayashi changed his ring name to KENTA (all caps and in Roman letters).
- Was also also mentor and tag partner to Gou Shiozaki who at one point was essentially "mini Kobashi."
- Red Baron: The Absolute Champion, Orange Crush.
- Underwear of Power