(also otherwise known in-ring as Faarooq
) is a semi-retired African American professional wrestler
who wrestled in numerous promotions, first in Florida, then in WCW
, and most notably in WWE
from 1996 to 2010, when he retired. He continues to show up at WWE events to this day, however. He defeated Big Van Vader
for the WCW World Heavyweight Title
, making him the first black wrestler to be a World Heavyweight Champion.
As a WWE wrestler, Simmons was the leader of the Nation of Domination tag team entirely composed of black men, which included Mark Henry
and The Rock
. He also formed one half of the APA tag team, the other being John Bradshaw Layfield
In 2012 he was inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame.
You can learn more about his career
at The Other Wiki
- The Alcoholic: In his APA days.
- Angry Black Man: Most prominently during his Nation of Domination days.
- Arch-Enemy: The Road Warriors, the Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott), Ahmed Johnson
- Atomic D Bomb: DAMN! It's so powerful, the people he shouts it at jump all the time, even though they know it's coming (indeed, they start cringing and bracing for impact the moment he lays eyes on them).
- Bash Brothers: Butch Reed, 2 Cold Scorpio, Bradshaw
- Breakup Breakout:
- The Breakout over his Doom tag team partner Butch Reed.
- The Jannetty to The Rock and Mark Henry in the Nation of Domination
- The Jannetty to Bradshaw, when the APA split up the second time in 2004 and Bradshaw repackaged himself as John Bradshaw Layfield.
- Bowdlerise: Allegedly reverted to his real name from Farooq because Farooq could have allegedly been offensive to some Islamic groups.
- CatchPhrase: "DAMN!"
- Co-Dragons: To The Undertaker in the Ministry of Darkness alongside Bradshaw.
- Commuting on a Bus: Makes sporadic appearances, mainly to say his CatchPhrase.
- Cool Mask: Initially when he was in Doom in WCW.
- Cool Old Guy: In his later years with WWE.
- Demoted to Extra: After the APA broke up.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: From his time in, fittingly enough, Doom.
- Fan Nickname: When he was going by Faarooq, internet writers would sometimes refer to him as "Vowels".
- Flanderization: Reduced to simply showing up to say "DAMN!" It got to the point where the only words he said were "DAMN!" and/or words that rhymed with it.
- Hired Guns: Acolyte Protection Agency (APA)
- Jerkass: As the leader of the Nation of Domination.
- Malcolm Xerox: As the leader of the Nation of Domination, only more violent.
- Nice Hat: Subverted with his original gladiator helmet, played straight with his hat as the leader of the Nation of Domination.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Added Rocky Maivia to the Nation of Domination on the presumption that the timid, weak Maivia wouldn't be able to overshadow him the way Ahmed Johnson had. Instead, Maivia shed the nice-guy image, renamed himself "The Rock," drew even more intense hate heat than he had as a babyface, and went from being Faarooq's Dragon to The Starscream, kicking Faarooq out of the group on the Raw after WrestleMania XIV and taking over the group himself.
- Only One Name: As Faarooq, he was only known as that for the most part, and his original last name of Asad was later dropped.
- Pec Flex: Once intimidated an interviewer by simply looking bored and standing still and doing this.
- Pro Wrestling Headband: From his singles career in WCW.
- The Quiet One: Ron only says "DAMN!" after his semi-retirement, and it's the only thing he ever currently says in his occasional appearances on WWE programming.
- Red Baron: In his gimmick of "The All-American" in his WCW singles career.
- Running Gag: "DAMN!"
- Salt and Pepper: The Pepper to Bradshaw's Salt.
- Scary Black Man: DAMN!!!
- Smoking Is Cool: In his APA days.
- Smug Snake: As leader of the Nation of Domination.
- Tag Team: Doom, with Butch Reed
- The Acolytes/the APA, with Bradshaw.
- Ur Example: Ron was wrestling's first black World Champion, paving the way for The Rock and Booker T.
- Verbal Tic: "DAMN!"
- WrestleCrap: Two inductions:
- His Faarooq Asad persona with the blue Nerf gladiator hat.
- The Gang Wars with the Nation of Domination vs. the Disciples of Apocalypse vs. Los Boricuas, with the Truth Commission mixed in as well.
*Surveys the list of tropes*…… DAMN!!!