(born August 27, 1948), better known by his ring name Sgt Slaughter
, is an American former WWE
personality and semi-retired professional wrestler. From the late 1970s to the early 1990s, Slaughter had success in the National Wrestling Alliance
, American Wrestling Association
, and World Wrestling Federation. In the 1980s, an alternate version of the Sgt. Slaughter character was incorporated into the GI Joe: A Real American Hero
toy line as well as its animated series and comic books. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former WWE World Heavyweight Champion
, a former 2x NWA (Mid-Atlantic) United States Heavyweight Champion
and a former NWA (Mid-Atlantic version) World Tag Team Champion
with Don Kernodle.
"READ MY TROPES YOU MAGGOTS, AND THAT'S AN ORDER!":
- All American Face: Interestingly, WWF initially used him as a heel but he turned face when he stood up for the US of A against The Iron Sheik.
- Alliterative Name/Awesome McCool Name/Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Arch-Enemy: (as a heel in NWA Mid-Atlantic): Ricky Steamboat, Jay Youngblood; (as a face in WWE): The Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff; (as a face in the AWA): The Sheik's Army; (as a heel in WWE): Hulk Hogan, the Ultimate Warrior.
- Bald of Evil (If he's a Heel)
- Bash Brothers: Don Kernodle, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
- Celebrity Toons/Hey, It's That Voice! (Did you know he was a member of G.I. Joe?)
- Not only was he made into a G.I. Joe character, he voiced all his cartoon appearances.
- Cool Shades
- Death from Above: The Slaughter Cannon, his top rope clothesline.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty
- Finishing Move: The Cobra Clutch.
- During his Iraqi heel run, he also used the Camel Clutch and...a move often referred to as the "Atomic Noogie."
- I Have Many Names: The Super Destroyer II, Bob Slaughter, "Beautiful" Bob Remus, Sgt. Slaughter
- Iconic Wrestler
- Irony: In his PPV debut, against Col. DeBeers at AWA SuperClash III, the guys who ran in to attack him were the Iron Sheik and Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie, who would later be his allies as the repackaged Col. Mustafa and General Adnan, respectively, as part of the Iraqi sympathizer gimmick.
- Large Ham
- Military Maverick
- Nice Hat
- No Indoor Voice
- One-Man Army (If he's a Face)
- Power Stable:
- The Quisling (One of, if not, his most memorable Heel role)
- The Great Politics Mess-Up: The reasoning for this turn was the the USA had gone soft when the fans accepted Nikolai Volkoff's face turn.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Split from the AWA in mid-1990 during the disastrous Team Challenge Series, where he was the leader of Slaughter's Snipers, to go to WWE. Col. DeBeers took over his team, and it was renamed DeBeers' Diamondcutters.
- Sergeant Rock
- Tag Team: The Cobra Corps, which had a few different versions.
- In WWE in the mid-1980s, it was with Pvt. Terry Daniels
- In the AWA, with Greg "Rambo" Gagne
- In NWA Mid-Atlantic, it was the name for the trio of himself and the Privates (Don Kernodle and Pvt. Nelson [James "Boris Zhukov" Darrell]).
- The Triangle of Terror, with Col. Mustafa (The Iron Sheik) and Gen. Adnan (Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie)
"TV TROPES, you MAGGOTS, you are DISMISSED!!! AND THAT'S AN ORDER!"