Sagacity is a good trait.
A more experienced advisor or confidante to a young, inexperienced character, particularly to a Heroic Archetype
A list of subtypes can be found on the Mentors
See also: The Obi-Wan
open/close all folders
- Trope Namer: Mentor himself or possibly Athena herself in The Odyssey.
- Gandalf in "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" plays this role to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, and indeed to many of the Fellowship in Lot R.
- Soul Seekers: Paloma, Daire's grandmother, is this.
- Haymitch Abernathy to Katniss and Peeta in The Hunger Games. All past victors are brought back each year to mentor the new tributes from their district, though Haymitch definitely keeps this up long after the Games themselves are over.
Live Action TV
- Angel: Lorne, sort of.
- Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Megan in Privileged becomes this to the twins as well as their tutor.
- Hornblower has two important mentor figures in the miniseries adaptation Horatio Hornblower:
- Captain Pellew takes a special interest in Hornblower because he sees a promising officer in him. It's with the interesting twist that he sometimes pretends to be furious with Horatio just to mess with him. It takes Horatio some time to figure out when Pellew is joking.
- Matthews is Da Man among lower deck characters. He can offer his insight even to officers who respect him and listen to him because Matthews is experienced, reasonable, respectful and concerned for the good of the ship.
- The six original Turaga from BIONICLE to their respective Toa warriors and the adventure-seeking Takua.
- Wynne in Dragon Age: Origins if the player wishes. Verges on a parent/child relationship with a mage protagonist.
- In Freefall, Florence explains to Helix that space is unforgiving and he must learn from Sam, who has been there before, and ask Florence whenever he doesn't understand why Sam is doing something. Sam finds it briefly cool to be a mentor before he realizes that it could also be Florence assigning him a watchdog.
- Lord Frey from Alfdis And Gunnora seems to be something of a mentor to young Alfdis.