Sagacity is a good trait.
A more experienced advisor or confidante to a young, inexperienced character, particularly to a Heroic Archetype
A list of subtypes can be found on the Mentors
See also: The Obi-Wan
- Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Megan in Privileged becomes this to the twins as well as their tutor.
- Hornblower has two important mentor figures in the miniseries adaptation Horatio Hornblower:
- Captain Pellew takes a special interest in Hornblower because he sees a promising officer in him. It's with the interesting twist that he sometimes pretends to be furious with Horatio just to mess with him. It takes Horatio some time to figure out when Pellew is joking.
- Matthews is Da Man among lower deck characters. He can offer his insight even to officers who respect him and listen to him because Matthews is experienced, reasonable, respectful and concerned for the good of the ship.
- Wynne in Dragon Age: Origins if the player wishes. Verges on a parent/child relationship with a mage protagonist.
- In Freefall, Florence explains to Helix that space is unforgiving and he must learn from Sam, who has been there before, and ask him whenever he doesn't understand why he's doing something. Sam finds it briefly cool to be a mentor before he realizes that it could also be Florence assigning him a watchdog.