"Hold on, I have to appease the shippers now."Many fans 'ship. These fans often do it all the time (context or no) especially in certain demographics. Producers, especially those who keep their finger on the pulse of the audience, not to mention their eye on the fan fora, know this. So, they decide to tease the fans with hints about possible romantic entanglements, and thereby build that emotional attachment between the show and the audience as much as they can. If the writers are particularly impish, they'll tease a relationship that either never comes up or takes a hard right just as it gets going. Like a sudden death. Sometimes, however, ship teases evolve out of the teasing stage. See also: Will They or Won't They?, Subtext, Fanservice, Never Trust a Trailer, Tonight, Someone Kisses, Literally Falling In Love, Implied Love Interest. Can end up as a Romantic False Lead. A best-case scenario is for a pairing to undergo a (canonical) Relationship Upgrade. Occasionally cheated by way of All Just a Dream or Alternate Reality Episode. Probably the cruelest method of Ship Tease is the Moment Killer. Contrast Ship Sinking. Not to be confused with Striptease.
— Tommy Oliver, Truncated Power Rangers
Examples with sub-pages
- Anime and Manga
- Fan Fiction
- Film - Live Action
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Visual Novels
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
Examples without sub-pages
open/close all folders
- In Peanuts, Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty are often shipped. To make things better in the cartoon and theater adaption, Peppermint Patty sings a song to Charlie when he asks what is love. The title? Poor Sweet Baby.
- The final page of the final story in Volume 5 of Empowered shows the scantily-clad eponymous character giving the likewise scantily-clad Sister Spooky a big hug. She also appears to be stroking Spooky's hair.
- Usagi Yojimbo:
- Usagi and Tomoe Ame. The fans have requested some romance with the pair for years, but Stan Sakai has only lightly teased them, right before he has Tomoe's Lord decide she should be married without bothering to ask if she wanted it in the first place.
- With Usagi and Chizu, and with Gen and Kitsune.
- Nico and Karolina from Runaways, especially in the first issue after Terry Moore's run ended. After a game of "truth or dare" leads to Karolina stealing a magic staff from a bunch of white supremacists. Nico tells her "You pretty much always amaze me" with the two of them staring at each other. When pressed on whether Karolina, Victor or Chase is the better kisser, she eventually snaps and admits "Karolina". This is despite that they never actually got beyond Almost Kiss... as far as we know. Oh, and it ends with her chiding the boys for being "such 'phobes" while she and K have Intertwined Fingers.
- Uncanny Avengers : Rogue and Deadpool seem to fit this trope since Deadpool started working with The Avengers. It's unknown if they're an Official Couple or ever will be, because Deadpool is still married to Shiklah, even though they're on the outs and have both cheated on one another. Rogue couldn't stand him at first, but they slowly developed a genuine bond -enough so that Wade takes Rogue to see his daughter, whom he asks Rogue to watch over if she becomes a mutant, which Rogue readily agrees to do. Recently, the team defeats Red Skull, thanks to Deadpool, but he took a severe beating from a mind-controlled Rogue in the process. Later, the team celebrate their victory, but Deadpool sneaks out after a bit, still needing a cane to walk after his beating from Rogue. She follows him, and sadly asks if he hates her for what she did. He firmly tells her that he does not hate her. He then goes on to admit he "digs [her] too much to ruin [her], which [he] would do." Rogue silences him by flying him above the city, and giving him a Big Damn Kiss. They descend to a rooftop, and she comments that shut him up. They talk a bit, and Rogue gives him another Big Damn Kiss. They talk a bit more, then continue their lip-session elsewhere. Rogue pulls away, and tries to tell him she feels something. He smiles, closes his eyes, and slowly moves for another kiss, before saying he can feel it too.
- Runaways and Young Avengers both do this pretty often, but their Civil War crossover really went crazy with it. Tommy calls Nico hot, Nico calls Eli cute, and Victor calls Cassie an angel after she saves his life (he didn't think people actually did that). On top of that, the Tommy/Kate/Eli Love Triangle and the Vision's crush on Cassie are more apparent than ever.
- There was considerable Clark Kent/Lois Lane teasing in Krypton No More. Lois is jealous when a co-worker flirts with Clark and decides to pursue him aggressively. She even calls him her man.
- In Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man. As usual in a Gerry Conway story, there's Spider-Man/Mary Jane Watson and Lois Lane/Clark Kent teasing. At the end, both couples have dinner together.
- The title character and Michelle in Cerebus the Aardvark. They get along reasonably well, and there are mild implications that something intimate may have happened, but nothing comes of it and they eventually part on cool-but-not-completely-unfriendly terms.
- Demon Knights does this relentlessly with Exoristos and Shining Knight.
- Not even going over the amount of Ho Yay in Sam And Max, the titular duo is constantly a: being "mistaken" for a couple, or b: having a character trying to get them dating, or c: being told that they are destined to be together.
- Batgirl (2009):
- Damian comments that he was "really hoping to meet Cassandra. She sounds wonderful." Steph immediately worries what will happen when Damian hits puberty. (One wonders if the writer remembered that Damian and Cassandra are technically siblings.) When they actually meet in Gates of Gotham, however, Damian is incredibly hostile to Cassandra, which Tim says is because Bruce chose her over him.
- In a Streets of Gotham, Damian asks Dick if Katana is seeing anyone. When Dick points out that Katana is a grown woman while Damian is only a child, he shrugs it off.
- Dick Grayson generates this every time he shows up in a book that stars a female character. His appearances in Supergirl and Power Girl are very notable among the shipping fandom.
- My Little Pony Micro Series:
- In Issue #3 Rarity brought a picture of Spike with her to sleep with... and of Applejack as well, leading to this interesting Twitter conversation with Price and Cook, unaware of the fandom's fascination with shipping.
- The Nightmare Arc might as well be called "Secret of My Excess, Part 2" for all the Spike X Rarity moments. For one thing, Spike brings the Fire Ruby, plus Spike is one of the only two characters who could cause a reaction on Nightmare Rarity (the other is her sister Sweetie Belle) and it's Spike who delivers the final line that releases Rarity from the Nightmare's grip. The last panel of the arc's final page also speaks volumes.
- In Issue 9, Big Macintosh practically has to fend off all of his female admirers— Sweetcream Scoops (who has been stalking him for several issues), Bon Bon, Fleetfoot (who gets an entire splash page and an alternate cover featuring her marriage fantasy about him), and even Princess Luna practically throw themselves at him. Zecora also follows him around, although if she's actually interested in him, she's at least more subtle about it than the other girls.
- In Kick-Ass, for better or for worse, a lot of the scenes between Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl are framed from an odd angle where it looks like one is kissing the other (the dialogue bubbles dispel the notion, but the imagery is there), in addition to the two being about as close as anyone in the comic can be. The very large age difference may put it into No Yay territory, but Hit-Girl being both more mature and more experienced may not, so it's a YMMV/perception thing.
- In Paperinik New Adventures despite Donald Duck supposedly being in a relationship with Daisy (not that she ever appears) but he has several seemingly romantic moments with Xadhoom and Lyla. In the sequel Pk 2, he has this with co-worker Tempest Gale.
- In the second volume of Guardians of the Galaxy, Peter Quill and Mantis have several moments, starting from early on. However, since the series was cut short, and the change of writers with the next series, nothing came of it.
- In Uncanny X-Men, Magik is one of the three people who still trusts Cyclops as a leader, and there are plenty of moments where he comforts her during the resurgence of her Limbo trauma. She later expresses relief upon finding out that he hasn't gotten back together with Emma. note
- In Marvel 100th Anniversary Special, Kirby and Victoria apparently shared a kiss on a previous mission, and seem pretty bashful around each other. Interestingly, Kirby is the grandson of Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman, while Victoria is the granddaughter of Doctor Doom.
Films — Animation
- Secret of the Wings Periwinkle asks Tinkerbell (speaking of Terrence) "So is he your boyfriend?" "Uuuuhhhhh", cut to next scene without finishing sentence.
- Kung Fu Panda:
- Po and Tigress. It is said in the commentary for the first movie that Tigress is Po's favorite of the Furious Five, even though throughout most of the film, she's the one in the group who is the most vocal about her disdain for him. It takes until the end of the movie for her to respect him. In the sequel, while not romantic, the two share a lot of moments. When Po describes how confused he is about his past, and how Tigress wouldn't get something like that, she suddenly hugs him, much to the shock of the other Furious Five, and tells him she does understand. She then tells him that she can't watch her friend die, and to stay with Masters Storming Ox and Croc for his own protection. She also seems to be the most distraught out of the Five when Po is hit by Lord Shen's cannon. Later, when Po returns and is about to get hit by another cannon, she pushes him out of the way. In the wreckage of the cannon-burst, Po finds Tigress drifting and holds her hand briefly before pushing her out of harms way. After Po defeats Shen, he hugs her, with Tigress initially frozen in shock before a smile grows on her face, while everyone else looks on in shock.
- To a lesser extent, Crane and Mei Ling in Secrets of the Furious Five, where the feline Action Girl is so nice and loyal to the bird in the All of the Other Reindeer situation that many fans like to imagine them having a romantic relationship while they are at it.
- Rise of the Guardians teases plenty of Jack x Tooth - especially their hug at the end, and the little bit where they just stare at each other before Baby Tooth interrupts.
- In 9, the title character appears to have a Love at First Sight moment when he first meets 7.
- There were a few moments teased between Dory and Marlin in Finding Nemo.
- In the ending of Wreck-It Ralph Rancis Fluggerbutter is seen checking out Vanellope von Schweetz with interest several times after his memories, along with the other racers, have been restored and it's revealed that Vanellope was the true and real ruler of Sugar Rush. The animators went so far to write a book about it, called One Sweet Race, where Rancis, sick of losing and never winning a Sugar Rush cup, gets Vanellope to help him build a kart to win a race for once.
- In The Secret of NIMH heroine Mrs. Brisby and the Captain of the Guard, Justin, flirt a few times, but both have more important things on their minds (not to mention that Mrs. Brisby is the widow of one of Justin's old friends).
Mrs. Brisby: [looking directly at Justin] Beautiful!
Justin: [blushes] Oh?
Mrs. Brisby: [giggling] The lights!
- Zootopia: A favorite activity of the fandom is speculation on whether the relationship between Judy and Nick will remain as best friends or evolve into a romantic relationship. Word of God confirms that they have a very deep friendship and their final exchange on-screen leaves the state of their relationship open-ended...
Nick: You know you love me.Judy: Do I know that...? Yes. Yes, I do.
- NXT season 3 had two sets of male pros with female rookies. The first set Goldust and Aksana were given a storyline involving a Citizenship Marriage while the second set AJ Lee and Primo got a more subtle tease. One episode had them trying to find a private place for an unrevealed reason, AJ loved to celebrate winning matches by jumping on Primo's shoulders, when she was eliminated from NXT she broke down crying in his arms and they finally kissed on the last episode.
- Similarly from the second season there was Layla and Kaval who also had an onscreen kiss.
- Billy Gunn & Chuck Palumbo teased a gay relationship with each other, going so far as to declare each other "life partners" and showering each other with affection.
- Stephanie McMahon and Kurt Angle were involved as Just Friends in a love triangle with Stephanie's husband Triple H. Steph was originally planned to leave Triple H for Angle, but Trips used his creative control to stop it.
- Stephanie McMahon and Eric Bischoff initially were duelling General Managers of Raw and SmackDown in 2002 and got an onscreen kiss during a Big Lipped Alligator Moment of a Halloween party. There had always been a bit of friendly Foe Yay between them.
- Trish Stratus got this a lot. She had it with Jeff Hardy twice, another time with her bodyguard Tyson Tomko, during a Stalker with a Crush storyline with Mickie James (that one she did kiss) and then there's Viscera.
- Trish and Lita were involved in some teasing with Christian & Chris Jericho that was ultimately revealed to be an example of The Bet. This lead to an 'intergender' feud between the two pairs, followed by a Heel–Face Turn for Jericho when Trish made her own Face–Heel Turn as Christian betrayed Jericho with her help.
- Melina and John Morrison got a little tease during a backstage segment in 2010 obviously meant as a Mythology Gag to echo their off screen relationship. They had been an actual on screen couple years before but had been separated onto different brands and this quietly disappeared. So the segment was this trope at the time.
- Alberto Del Rio and Rosa Mendes got one during a segment at the TLC PPV.
- Melina and Alicia Fox actually kissed on TV. Ditto for William Regal and Zack Ryder, although that was meant as comedy.
- Kaitlyn and Derrick Bateman's "friendship" on NXT was this at first but they quickly became an Official Couple.
- Kaitlyn's done this quite a bit. She's had Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes and Hornswoggle. Funnily enough, her BFF AJ locked lips with the last two as well, and AJ is with Dolph Ziggler as of December 2012.
- LayCool were a lesbian couple for as much as PG television would allow. Getting each other matching necklaces, always hugging each other and attending Couples' Therapy. Then Michelle had to blow it all by saying they weren't a couple.
- Billy Gunn and Chyna had this going on when the former returned in 2000 to console her after her break-up with Eddie Guerrero. In Kayfabe interviews he would describe Chyna as "absolutely gorgeous" and they were shown to be very close. However whenever asked they would insist they were Just Friends. It never amounted to anything other than a friendship, though the 2001 Royal Rumble did have a very couple-y moment between them when Chyna was getting wheeled out on a stretcher.
- Maryse and The Miz frequently throughout 2009. Maryse however was clearly just being The Tease, hoping to manipulate him into helping her. Miz sunk the ship at Night of Champions and pretty much told her to go to hell. However in real life the ship is sailing just fine for both of them.
- Avenue Q teases Rod and Nicky from as early as the fourth song ("If You Were Gay"). Unfortunately for Rod, Nicky doesn't return his feelings.
- Wicked teases both Fiyero/Elphaba and Glinda/Elphaba from their first encounters - what with "What is this Feeling?" sounding like a love song (loathe and love aren't too far off), and Fiyero being just as much of a Deadpan Snarker to Elphaba as she is to him (that, and his lack of shock, disgust, or caring at the colour of her skin).
- Twice Charmed has this between Lady Tremaine and Franco.
Franco: You're so wicked!
Lady Tremaine: And you are a shameless flatterer.
- Pokémon Live! teases Ash and Misty, Delia and Professor Oak, and there used to be a relationship between Delia and Giovanni.