"Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind."A kiss which is Serious Business, with all the spectacle that entails. In all probability it's a First Kiss that finally puts an end to Unresolved Sexual Tension and/or other typical obstacles that get in the way of True Love™. The scenery will be epic, the camera will go wild, the music will swell. The most straightforward way to telegraph a They Do which isn't an actual wedding. Some tropes, such as Smooch of Victory, Hollywood Kiss, Concert Kiss, Beach Kiss, and Lip-Lock Sun-Block, are almost always examples of this as well. If a kiss is built up to be this but fails miserably, it's probably an Awkward Kiss. Beware of spoilers. Has nothing to do with Big Damn Heroes. Usually.
— Grandpa, The Princess Bride
open/close all folders
- The two minute mark on this old car advert here.
- Parodied in a 4G Epic commercial.
Anime & Manga
- Adolescence of Utena ends with Utena and Anthy passionately kissing as they drive away from Ohtori (also, they're both nude), finally free from the oppression of Akio and his schemes.
- Ah! My Goddess: Keiichi and Belldandy. Finally in chapter 278, complete with thousands of FLOWERS bursting from the floor Thank your Goddess of choice!
- In the manga version of AKIRA, Kei and Kaneda actually have two in the same scene. First, they sit down and kiss very gently... but after they part, they have a discussion since Kaneda believes that Kei, who's going to fight Tetsuo under orders of Lady Miyako, is doing so without regards towards her life and he leaves in a huff. She's rather dejected.... and then he returns, says he forgot something, and kisses her again, this time more passionately, and when they part he promises that he will come back to her and will stay by her side all night long.
- Guts and Casca's first non-Intimate Healing kiss pretty much sealed the deal between them being Berserk's Official Couple, so much so that there's gorgeous Scenery Porn, Dramatic Wind is blowing Guts's Badass Cape as to encircle the couple, AND somebody rendered this all in color.◊
- When Eiji Asuka and Anna Stephanie finally manage to kiss at the end of the Blue Comet SPT Layzner Hallmark 2000 OAV, it's after quite the sequence where everyone rushes to meet Eiji after his return from his and Layzner's last battle, then they stop and allow Anna to take the lead. She then jumps off from a stone wall as Eiji descends from Layzner, but he's still far away. Then they run into each other's arms and look into each other's eyes. And only then, they epically smooch. With La Rose Rouge as background music. YESSSSS!
- Claymore: The kiss between Clare and Raki took almost two whole pages of the manga.
- Detective Conan:
- The series finally allows Satou and Takagi to kiss at the end of file 673./ episode 535◊. In the manga, the frame with the kiss takes up a little over half of the page, with a close-up of the two's faces taking up about 60% of that. And the rest of the frame is a more medium-range, full-body shot of them. In the anime, the first part of the scene is a shot with them kissing, and then the camera pans to the full-body shot.
- Apparently Aoyama ended up liking the trope in regards to these two, since he gave Sato and Takagi another Big Damn Kiss in File 808 / episode 683◊. After a rather emotionally-exhausting case where Takagi is mistaken for someone else and put inside a Death Trap, and Sato goes the Violently Protective Girlfriend for him, when all's said and done she pretty much glomps him and gives him a rather epic Smooch of Victory as it starts to snow on them.
- Later in the story, there's a rather nice one◊ between Sato's best friend Yumi and her love interest Shukichi.
- Eureka Seven has three in the final three episodes, including the mid-air, upside down reunion of Dominic and Anemone in Episode 48. In the final episode, Renton and Eureka finally have their first kiss in what they believed to be the final act of their respective lives, only to be saved by Nirvash's sacrifice so that they can enjoy the third epic kiss as they float down from orbit.
- At the climax of FLCL, right after an epic fighting scene between its two participants, right before the appearance of a Physical God, and right at the middle of the song I THINK I CAN.
- Toward the end of the Fruits Basket manga, although Kyo and Tohru share a sorta-first-kiss earlier in the same scene, it's the hug that's really climactic — at first because it means that he's finally gotten past the fact that he's possessed, but it gets even more heartwarming when he doesn't transform. Cue Tear Jerker montage as the curse proceeds to break.
- The final Full Metal Panic! novel's epilogue eventually gives us the kiss we'd been promised for several books, and had been anticipating the whole series: at Jindai High's graduation, Kaname and Sousuke finally meet and he plants a long-awaited big one on her while the entire crowd cheers.
- Hana no Mizo Shiru: Arikawa and Misaki's full-page kiss in a field of flowers at the end of Chapter 4.
- Inukami!: Keita kisses Youko in the climax, as they fly toward the Bigger Bad, undeniably returning the affection she's showed him the entire series.
- InuYasha has one right in the anime finale when Kagome and Inuyasha are reunited inside the Shikon Jewel.
- This kiss in Kannazuki no Miko with a Humongous Mecha using it's finishing move in the background.
- Kanon. The spinning pan-out and reflective teardrop in the 2006 version make it.
- The Last: Naruto the Movie has one of these between Naruto and Hinata at the end of the movie—much to the delight of many fans. It doesn't get any damn bigger than a Hollywood-like First Kiss of True Love after defeating Toneri, 15 years of Ship Tease in the making, forming a Full Moon Silhouette and gracefully floating high in the air!
- Mazinger Z: In the Mazinger-Z vs Great General of Darkness feature, Kouji is going to sortie with Mazinger-Z to fight a battle he knows he can not win, and thinking he'll die. Sayaka stops him to give him his little brother's birthday gift, and both stare into each other's eyes for a long while... and then Kouji turns around and leaves. However, in the manga version of that moment they do kiss — the panel itself featured them floating in a void, and flower petals falling around them.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!:
- Negi does this to Chachamaru to prove a point that Chachamaru has a soul by forming a Pactio with her. It was 4 pages long and caused an explosion. Extreme Kissing people!
- Setsuna and Konoka's Pactio kiss was pretty damn long, too. So much that Setsuna almost suffocated from this kiss. (One doesn't know about Chachamaru, since she is a robot.)
- Negi also does this to Luna aka Shiori. With the side-effects of undoing her Master of Disguise powers (which she used to masquerade as Asuna), saving her from being non-fatally shot by Mana, and creating a Pactio with a girl who's a member of Fate's Amazon Brigade.
- Almost at the end of the series, Asuna gives one to Negi. Rather bittersweetly, it doubles as a Last Kiss: she's about to go into a years-long sleep so this is her goodbye to him, and she tells him to think well about who will be the next girl he'll kiss.
- Even if not in the league of the others, Natsumi and Kotarou's Pactio Kiss was pretty epic too.
- Being a super troupe-y shoujo manga, Marmalade Boy is no slouch regarding this trope:
- Yuu and Miki's first kiss is set like this, and crosses into Dude, She's Like, in a Coma! since she had been knocked out after getting a basketball to the face in PE class. Not really, she was faking it in hopes that Yuu wouldn't tease her for being a Cute Clumsy Girl, and was totally off-guard when he smooched her instead. They later had a mutual and "proper" one in the beach (though they're standing on the sand so it's not exactly a Beach Kiss) and as the sun sets...
- Also the deals between Meiko and Namura are properly revealed to the viewers when they share one of these in the empty library. Almost empty; Yuu sees them, but he keeps it to himself at Meiko's request. Then they have another, when Namura leaves to Hiroshima after their romance is uncovered and Meiko is willing to run away with him, but Namura immediately shoots that down to not bring her down with him, and only accepts to give her a kiss before taking off. And in the anime there's a third one when they reconcile in Hiroshima.
- The end of the anime takes the trope Upto Eleven, with a whole sequence featuring kisses and including those above alongside many others. It finishes with Yuu and Miki kissing while wearing bridal/groom attire.
- Chapter 140 of Medaka Box ends with one between Medaka and Zenkichi, who have just thwarted Najimi's plan to end it all.
- In The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, the first season climax, accompanied by an Ominous Latin Chorus, and giant monster things destroying the area around them. It's even more awesome as Haruhi is subconsciously destroying the world out of her restrained jealousy at the time and Kyon kisses her to make her undo it. It works, even though Haruhi thinks it was All Just a Dream afterwards and Kyon is in denial. And just to make it even better, the entire scene is overlaid with the first song of Mahler's Symphony No.8 Movement 1, Veni Creator Spiritus. FUCK. YES.
- In No. 6 Shion kisses Nezumi halfway through the series; in the final episode Nezumi returns the favor before he leaves.
- Outlaw Star: Gene and Melfina have theirs at the heart of the Galactic Leyline, when he says he wants her to stay with him. But he realized he was being selfish, so he asks what *she* wants. She wishes for the same thing and said she wanted to remain herself. Then they seal it with a kiss.
- The first chapter of Sakura Trick ends with a pretty epic kiss. Haruka and Yuu go on to kiss every chapter after that, but none are quite as impressive as the first.
- The First Kiss between the titular couple of Romeo X Juliet, complete with Romeo chasing the disguised Juliet through the streets of Neo Verona, as the Theme Song, a variation of the song You Raise Me Up plays in the background. He finally catches her on a bridge, and before she can run away again catches her hand and pulls her into an embrace, her disguise falling away and then kisses her, to which she lets her guard down and lets her feelings for him come through and kisses him back. Oh yeah, and by the way, fireworks are exploding in the background to conclude the days lovers ceremony... as Romeo's betrothed Hermione awaits for him.
- In the conclusion of Pokémon XY, Serena finally kisses Ash as she prepares to board her flight to Hoenn. The lighting as the two of them close in and the music adds to the atmosphere; unfortunately, it's not seen whether it was on the lips or on the cheek.
- In Silver Spoon, after a Love Confession from both Hachiken and Mikage, they finally kiss in chapter 120.
- A more tender yet equally as awesome variant happens at the climax of the second season of the Slayers anime, when Gourry, against all odds, breaks into another dimension to rescue Lina from being eradicated from existence. His fondness and desire to protect her apparently impresses the Lord of Nightmares enough to bring Lina back. They share a kiss, spinning in place amidst bubbles of light.— sadly, since Status Quo Is God, they don't recall what happened when they return to the world below.
- It's not framed by explosions (unlike everything else in the show), but Kamina and Yoko's first and only kiss in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is accompanied by erupting volcanoes.
- ...which was only matched with Yoko's second, courtesy of Kittan. "Libera Me From Hell" playing in the background just made it more epic.
- Vampire Knight. In chapter 46, Zero reveals his affections for Yuuki this way. Before declaring that he will eventually kill her.
- In The Movie for Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GO!GO!, we have the first kiss between Nozomi/Cure Dream and Coco, which also doubles as a "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight. It should be noted that this is the only kiss between characters in the franchise's 10-year history.
- You're Under Arrest! has one between Natsumi and Toukairin, after she knocks off early so she could make it to the airport before his departure. After she catches her breath, she gives him a piece of her mind for throwing their last arm-wrestling contest and and for not manning up about his feelings for her. Toukairin cuts her off with a "Shut Up" Kiss, so he can finally get a word in edgewise. Then he tells her, followed by "the big one."
- Yuri!!! on Ice, in episode 7, after all the Ship Tease, Victor Nikiforov throws himself in the arms of Yuuri Katsuki and kisses him passionately. To add even more grandiosity, it's while they are in front of the entire audience of the Grand Prix China, and the kiss is televised internationally.
- In YuYu Hakusho, Keiko and Yusuke share two. The first one was a sort-of Intimate Healing since Yusuke's still sort-of dead body needed a kiss to get enough Life Energy to wake up, and due to several circumstances Keiko was the only one able to give it to him before midnight struck. She managed to do so with one second to spare and after practically dashing her way to the Urameshi household before it was too late. The second one happened at the very end of the series, when Yusuke returned home after three years in the Demon World and reunited with Keiko and his friends in the nearby beach.
- Zero In: Mikuru and Kou in Chapter 68.
- Chase plants one on Gert right after she saves his life with CPR right after he saves her from a giant, flaming rock monster.
- The second series ends with Nico and Victor sharing a big kiss after they survive a battle with the Gibborim, and the first arc of the third series ends with Karolina and Xavin sharing their first (and only) on-panel kiss just before Xavin clocks Karolina and impersonates her so that they can hand themselves over to the Light Brigade, thus sparing Karolina their wrath.
- The first kiss between Scott and Ramona in Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life.
- In Supergirl story Young Love Linda Danvers -the titular heroine- and Dick Malverne meet again after several years without seeing each other. When Dick kisses her, they float in the air. Literally, since Linda started hovering.
- Occurs during the climax of the second volume of Miki Falls...
- The kiss between Superman and Lois Lane while on the moon during All-Star Superman. (Grant Morrison considered doing a From Here to Eternity Beach Kiss reference here, but ended up going with something else.)
- The conclusion of "Reign of the Supermen" storyline, which was also the conclusion of the entire "Death and Return of Superman" story arc, had one of these; Lois wakes up in her apartment to the sound of tapping outside her apartment window. She opens the curtains, thinking it's just a bird...only to see Superman, his powers restored and finally back in his iconic blue and red, floating outside.
Narration: There isn't a doubt in her mind. She's in his arms faster than a speeding bullet.
- In the Spider-Man comics Peter and MJ share their first kiss in a mostly empty section of JFK airport (well mostly empty sans Robbie Robertson who was there too) with a big snowy window behind them before Peter went on assignment in France. It may not have been upside down, but as MJ said "Wow, why didn't you ever tell me you could kiss!" Followed by after she let it sink in for a minute "Far freaking out." (made even funnier by the fact the kiss was her idea).
- Fables has one in issue 50 at the end of Chapter Seven: The Big Valley between Bigby and Snow. As the author notes in the script for the issue: "They kiss. This is the truest of true love's kisses since the beginning of time. It's every poem ever written and every song ever sung. This is the one panel at which the dream of every female reader of FABLES has come true. Each and every one of them must be made to cry or squeal or swoon like a character in a Jane Austen novel. Don't blow it, Buckingham. We sort of, kind of know where you live."
- During Young Avengers Vol 2, when Teddy briefly broke up with Billy after having doubts in their relationship, they reunite when the team go to save Teddy from Mother. As Billy tries to fight her off, Teddy assures him that he loves him and the two kiss, making Billy so happy he becomes the 'Demiurge' for a moment, resulting in Mother being vanquished and, for a moment, he's in control of the entire universe. You don't get a kiss bigger and damner than that.
- Of course, there is the kiss before that. Near the end of Children's Crusade, Teddy breaks Billy out of a months long depression after the fantastic mess their latest shenanigans caused by proposing to him. They seal the deal with their first on panel kiss. It is spectacular, and extremely gratifying.
- One strip of B.C. invokes this where one character notices a volcano about to erupt, he decides to take and kiss the Cute Chick right as it blows. Turns out to have worked pretty well.
- In Astro City story "Pastoral", Cammie's seeing this is The Reveal at the end of the story. Cammie already knew Roustabout's Secret Identity; it was discovering his Secret Relationship with her cousin that pushed her to become a Secret Keeper. May also have been a Smooch of Victory, since it was shortly after he defeated Team Carnivore, and a Reunion Kiss, since he travels with the carnival, and their previous meetings with this arrival were constrained by the need for secrecy.
- Advice and Trust:
- In chapter 1 by Shinji and Asuka. After an awkward beginning they were so engrossed in kissing each other they not even noticed where they were going to. They tripped, landed on a beanbag and still they would not break their lip lock or stop. After a long while they broke off and panted heavily as they gazed quietly at each other.
- In chapter 10, Rei and Kaworu kiss at the stroke of midnight on New Years, marking their Relationship Upgrade.
- The Bully: Harry Smith and Ellie McCoy go down onto the beach in Harry Smith in Sincostan: Part II and kiss for ten straight minutes.
- The Child of Love: In chapter 5, Shinji and Asuka kiss while watching fireworks during the Obon festival.
Too late. Asuka takes Shinji's head in her hands and kisses him hard on the lips. The kiss feels like it could last for an eternity, while their tongues dance in their mouths. It's like when the two of them danced together while battling Israphel, the 7th Angel. The only sounds audible are the pops and pams from the fireworks behind them. Asuka can't believe the sensations that are forcing their way into her...she didn't want to fall for Shinji, but it's already too late. On the other side, Shinji returns the kiss with all his heart. He really loves Asuka, despite all the things she had done and said to him. Finally, Asuka breaks off the kiss. She has a big smile on her face.
- At the end of Chaos Reigns, two-shot side story of Child of the Storm, Wanda Maximoff pulls Harry Dresden into a UST and Ship Tease resolving Smooch of Victory as a prelude to getting together.
- Evangelion 303: In chapter 16, after many months of Ship Tease, doubts and angst, Rei and Kaworu finally hug each other and kiss.
- Higher Learning: In the last episode Shinji has been searching Asuka for a long while in the Well of Souls (a amalgam of all human souls). During a talk with other souls Shinji begins playing a song that he and Asuka played a while ago... and the music guides her back to him. Both teens play together for a while. Then Shinji walks towards her, cups her chin, and they embrace and kiss in the center of Instrumentality.
- Last Child of Krypton:
She closed her eyes and he closed his again, and she rested her hand on his neck, drawing him in, tilting his head just a bit. They were close, very close, and then it happened. Her lips touched his, warm and moist and tasting ever so slightly of strawberries from the lip gloss she wore, open just a touch so that he could taste her breath, feel it mingle with hers. He shuddered, his belly muscles contracting involuntarily.
- Between Shinji and Asuka in chapter 12:
Gingerly, without opening his eyes, he put an arm around her and drew her into a second, deeper kiss, longer and harder. She shifted her weight onto him and he put his other arm around her waist to support her, and soon she was only his lap, her head above his, holding his chin with both hands. She drew back again and fell against him onto his shoulder and breathed a soft sigh under his chin.
"Wow," he said.
"Wow," she smiled.
She sat up. She grabbed him by the collar—he still had his stupid school uniform on, at least the shirt, anyway—and she kissed him. He jerked back for an instant, and then he kissed her back, slipping his arm around her waist. She threw her arms around his neck and pulled, dragging him onto the bed with her. She broke from the kiss, and the look of shock on his face, the way his breath quickened, excited her. With both hands on his shoulders, she pushed him down onto the bed, threw her leg over him, and sat on his waist. He had on a pair of sleeping shorts, and the skin of her thighs whispered against his.
- In the rewrite it happened in chapter 9:
- This is how Rainbow in the Dark actually ends, combining a Big Damn Kiss with a "Shut Up" Kiss.
Rainbow Dash: "Shut up and kiss me."
- The Second Try: At the end of chapter 4, "Love", Shinji and Asuka get married and kiss in front of the Red Sea (which means that they kiss in front of literally everybody) and remaining kissing for a long while as the sun sets.
- Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton: Shinji and Asuka kissed for first time in chapter 19 after he confessed, as they were floating in the night sky above the city.
Kaji didn't interrupt them this time, and their lips touched. The moment he'd dreamed about for what had felt like an eternity had finally come, in the night sky above Tokyo-3, and it was even better than he could've imagined.
- Occurs in A Pleasant Surprise when Fluttershy and Midnight confess their feelings for each other.
- Shards Of Memory has this in Chapter 19 when Terra tries to free Cloud from Sephiroth's mind control.
- Javert and Valjean's kiss in Roommates may count, but fandom reaction has certainly been… enthusiastic, even attracting several new shippers.
- A Growing Affection has Naruto and Hinata's First Kiss causing the two of them to forget where they are for about a minute. Where are they? In the Leaf Stadium, surrounded by almost every Leaf and Sand ninja, at the conclusion of Naruto's trial.
- Kagami and Homura's First Kiss in Stars Above, which comes after seventeen chapters of emotional turmoil.
- The Lion King Adventures teases the idea of Simba and Nala getting together throughout Series One. They finally get their big kiss after defeating two Big Bads and surviving several threatening ordeals.
- Samara kisses Malleus at the end of the Mass Effect/Warhammer 40,000 crossover Angels of the Storm. Problem is, Malleus is a Space Marine and has been struggling with his Absolute Xenophobe views since the previous story, so the kiss is more of an Accidental Kiss and he is deeply shaken by it. They still hook up later.
- The Megamind fic Knocked Up has an incredibly heartwarming one in chapter thirteen. After all the trouble the two went through, and after Roxanne finally gives birth, they confess that they love each other and kiss.
- Another Megamind story by the same author, called True Beauty, has a good one.
Roxanne: (after hearing Megamind put himself down again because of his looks) Could you turn the disguise off?Megamind: (does so) But...why?Roxanne: Because I don't want to kiss a hologram. (kisses him)
- In a side-story to All-American Girl, Mike and DJ's first kiss - the first human/pony couple in Earth history - qualifies as such:
Instinctively, their lips met, brushed together, then fully connected, sending both into paradise. The room exploded into the full-out scent of dark chocolate, so much so that there was no one who couldn’t smell it now. The two continued kissing until the adults present, confused at two teens of different species making out but realizing that it wouldn’t be a great example, broke them up.
- After chapters of teasing and fake outs, RWBY: Reckoning finally has Yang and Darrel kissing in Chapter 27, much to the relief of the readers, if the reviews are anything to go by.
- In Weiss Reacts, after chapters upon chapters of Unresolved Sexual Tension, Suspiciously Specific Denial and general insanity, Ruby and Weiss FINALLY kiss in the climax of the Music Festival arc. Twice. In front of the entire school. After winning the entire festival. As usual, Yang and Blake tease Weiss for taking seventy-two chapters to finally admit what everyone saw.
- In Son of the Desert, Roy and Ed share one when Ed agrees to Roy's marriage proposal.
- In the 23rd chapter of the Kung Fu Panda fanfic The Vow, Lord Shen interrupts the forced marriage between himself and Lady Lianne and sets her free when he realizes that he loves her too much to chain her to him on his dark path. To his utter surprise, Lianne finalizes the marriage ceremony out of her own will and kisses him. He cries for the first time in years as he responds to the kiss and she cries with him. When they part, they give each other the Vows of everlasting love. The scene is made very beautiful by the author recommending it to be read with the tune "Pastorale" of Secret Garden (an Irish-Norwegian music duo).
- In The Legend of Total Drama Island, Justin and Lindsay go over the top with their Now or Never Kiss.
In a trice, the show’s Royal Couple of Beauty clinched, kissing with unexampled fire. The other girls—yes, even Heather, who no longer had anything to gain by trying to keep Lindsay and her beau apart—found the scene unspeakably adorable.
- In chapter 11 of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide, Shinji and Asuka kiss at last after a heated argument:
Her rosy lips parted, and she closed her eyes as she descended on him.
Shinji had waited for this moment for so long. He had always been torn by his feelings towards her. In the darker days of the fight with the Angels he couldn't bear to be with her. Asuka had become so hostile, so angry. Everything she said was an insult, all she did was hurt him. He hadn't known if he could live with her. It was the most painful time he could recall. But he'd come to identify with her and her pain.
It was not, he realized, that he was there for her. It was simply that he was hers. That he belonged to her—all of him. He always had, ever since meeting her.
Their lips met gently, with nothing more than a caress, but that was enough for Shinji to feel a shockwave of electricity flowing through him. The sensation flooded her every cell, and ate its way into his being. It became almost like a tangible thing and he opened himself to it.
Never had he shared such an intimate bond with another human being. Never felt this way about anyone.
Faced which such heartfelt comfort, Shinji caved in and submitted to her, his body relaxing instinctively under her kiss.
The smell of her hair surrounded him, and her taste poured into him. He looked deep within himself, down into the very core of who he was, and realized he was starving for her. His mind became a blur where all he could make out was the warm sensation in his mouth as they worked their lips against each other.
It was not their first kiss, but it was the first time it felt right. Before Asuka had teased and goaded him into kissing her, even bringing up his dead mother. Then she had held his nose and pinched it until he turned blue while kissing him. It had not been entirely unpleasant, just strange. Now it was different.
Asuka intoxicated him as he pressed harder against her lips, feeling them quiver and part further, relishing more of her taste. He was drunk with it.
In this moment, only the two of them existed in the world.
Had he not needed to breathe, Shinji would have kissed Asuka forever. Just as he had said he would be with her forever. But that was not to be. When the kiss finally broke they both gasped for air, and locked eyes with each other again.
- Bruce and Diana's First Kiss in "Christmas in Kansas", part of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Hearts series.
- Spots Off, after Adrien tells Marinette he's loved her since they defeated Stoneheart. "Marinette wasn’t really thinking very clearly. All she knew was that the boy of her dreams and possibly her best friend had just told her that he loved her, all of her, Ladybug and Marinette. The one-sided prison she had thought she was trapped in had been an illusion all along. She leaned forward, closed her eyes, and pressed her lips to his. He felt surprised at first, but then he relaxed and leaned forward, wrapping his hand around her neck. It was just like she had always pictured in her dreams, only better because this wasn’t kissing some idolized stranger, this was kissing her partner and her friend. It was perfect."
- In Chapter 29 of Origin Story, when Alex manages to return from Buffyworld and tracks Louise to Wakanda, where the latter is hiding, they reuinite with a magnificently described kiss:
Alex lifted Louise from the ground and held the other woman in her arms. She brought one hand up to cup her lover’s face and kissed her. To Alex, the kiss felt like it went on for all of eternity. It felt like they were dancing. The only thing Alex heard was the distant explosion of fireworks going off around her. The sensation of Louise held against her body caused a warmth to spread across Alex’s entire being. And Louise returned the kiss with just as much fiery passion. Alex could feel the love Louise felt for her through her skin. Despite everything that had happened, despite everything that had tried to separate them, Alex had made it back to her Louise. Nothing – nothing – could ever keep them apart.
Films — Animation
- The Simpsons Movie has one near the end between Homer and Marge while driving a motorcycle.
Marge: Best kiss of my life.
Homer: Best kiss of your life so far.
- Rio: Blu and Jewel, during the film's climactic "falling" scene.
- At the end of The Nightmare Before Christmas, Jack and Sally get together at the top of Spiral Hill.
- Helga gives one to Arnold in Hey Arnold! The Movie after doing her Anguished Declaration of Love. Arnold gets confused about it afterwards.
- In Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension, this happens when Isabella kisses Phineas near the end of the movie.
- Beauty and the Beast: Belle and the Prince's kiss after his transformation. While colorful sparks rain from the sky!
- In Tangled, Rapunzel's First Kiss shows: she kisses Flynn on the mouth much as Mother Gothel kissed her. Flynn promptly pulls her closer and starts to demonstrate the differences before the cut.
- The end of Wreck-It Ralph: Felix kisses Calhoun on the cheek spur-of-the-moment, then promptly looks nervous as he realizes it might not have been a great idea. She grabs him by the front of his shirt, pulls him up so that he's level with her... and then kisses him for real.
- In a way, the nuzzle between Simba and Nala in The Lion King could count as well.
- At the end of Tarzan when Jane decides to stay in Africa, she runs from the boat to the beach and kisses Tarzan. She looks very embarrassed, but then Tarzan swoops in for a kiss.
- When Kristoff in Frozen accidentally lets slip that he wants to kiss Anna, then mixes up his words.
Kristoff: I... could. I mean I would. I'd like to. May I? We me? I mean, may we?
Anna: [kisses Kristoff] We may.
- The Book of Life:
- Manolo and Maria just after the former comes back to life.
- Even La Muerte and Xibalba have one after they reconcile in form of a Kissing Discretion Shot.
- Strange Magic: Marianne and the Bog King have a pretty dramatic one, with a two part song leading up to this, with the event itself involving the two flying and spinning whilst a completely unexplained kaleidoscope whirls around them.
- How to Train Your Dragon:
- Hiccup and Astrid share their first kiss after Hiccup have defeated the Red Death and ended the war with dragons.
- In How to Train Your Dragon 2, Hiccup and Astrid share a kiss after Hiccup and Toothless have defeated Drago Bludvist.
Films — Live-Action
- The climax of A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner! has Timmy admitting his love for Tootie and then passionately kissing her in order to save the lives of his fairy godfamily.
- One of the earliest films, The Kiss (1896) featured nothing but a couple kissing for 18 seconds. It was the first time movie audiences saw two people kissing on screen and by being seen in such a large frame it immediately caused a scandal.
- The famous upside-down kiss from the first Spider-Man movie.
- The kiss between Elizabeth and Will in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End after their marriage at sea: Surrounded by an Epic Fight, trading blows between exchanging vows, culminating in an Orbital Kiss a few minutes before Will is killed and comes back from the dead. There's a Big Damn Kiss at the end of all three movies, too.
- A rather famous one in Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. The censors at the time didn't allow for a kiss to last longer than 3 seconds. The Big Damn Kiss moment in that movie breaks up the kiss at just the right moments to have the couple keep repeatedly kissing each other.
- Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes contains another classic example. Socialite Iris Henderson is saying goodbye to fellow-passenger Gilbert Redman, while waiting for her fiancé, Charles, to pick her up from the station:
Gilbert: Any sign of Charles yet?
Iris: No, I can't see him.
Gilbert: Well, this is where we say goodbye. [Iris is about to shake his hand when she suddenly sees someone and hastily gets inside a nearby cab.]
Gilbert: [taken aback] What's the matter? [Iris simply looks agitatedly outside the window. Gilbert, following her gaze, sees the ultimate Upper-Class Twit standing in the station, evidently searching for someone.]
Gilbert: [jumps into the cab and settles down besides Iris with a wide grin] Charles?
Iris: [amused and embarrassed] Yes, you heartless, careless, selfish, swollen-headed beas… [She is stopped as Gilbert sweeps her into his arms and seals her mouth shut with their First Kiss.]
Cab driver: Are you going anywhere?
Gilbert: [muffled] Foreign Office.
- At the end of Demolition Man.
- The unforgettable kiss done by Seymour and Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors at the end of the "Suddenly Seymour" number. Aww◊...
- Speed and Trixie's kiss at the end of the Speed Racer live action movie.
- At the very end of Runaway, Sgt. Jack R. Ramsay and Karen Thompson lock lips amid a shower of sparks. The make out session keeps going for most of the credits, lasting well over 2 minutes with the longest individual kisses easily over half a minute in length.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies, as a nuclear warhead goes off in the background.
- The 1978 Danish film Du er ikke alene (You Are Not Alone) ends with a show the boys at a boarding school put on to illustrate the Ten Commandments. 'Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself' is illustrated with a short movie showing 15-year-old Bo, a pupil at the school, and 12-year-old Kim, the headmaster's son (Kim is a male name in Denmark) hugging and kissing. It packs quite a punch, both within the film itself and within the context of the time when the film was made. The film became iconic for being the first Danish film to show a homosexual relationship.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe:
Natasha: I adore you... But I need the other guy.
- Double subverted in Thor where Thor and Jane almost kissed with Thor uncertainly pulling away before it happened and he kissed her hand for a second time. But Jane pulls him into the kiss anyways.
- Happens in Avengers: Age of Ultron, between Bruce and Natasha. Granted, she pushes him off a cliff immediately after, but it's still cute.
- Subverted in Doctor Strange. Strange sincerely apologizing to Christine about the Jerk Ass he was seems to set up one of those. Instead, she just gives a Last Kiss on his cheek and leaves.
- In the mind-synching scene of ET, Elliot emulates the movie E.T. is watching at home, culminating in the film's Big Damn Kiss.
- Star Wars:
- The Princess Bride: "Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind." (Curiously, in the original novel, this line—and the kiss—was at the beginning of the story, while in the movie it was at the end.)
- National Treasure featured one. Two words: "Come here."
- Justified in Back to the Future with George and Lorraine at the dance, since their kiss is crucial to restoring the timeline. The kiss comes complete with a huge music swell.
- Vertigo shows waves crashing in the background while Scottie and Madeline share their first kisses.
- Between Batman and Selina in The Dark Knight Rises
- Between Clark and Lois at the end of Man of Steel, combining Smooch of Victory with the atmosphere of Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex.
- Averted in Pacific Rim; Raleigh and Mako have a Headbutt of Love at the end, and Raleigh does talk about "never thinking about the future until now" while looking at Mako, but nothing else.
- In The Heat Mullins gives one to a random guy at a bar, and he is played by none other than Melissa McCarthy's real life husband Ben Falcone.
- Madmartigan and Sorsha get two in Willow. The first is in Sorsha's tent while Madmartigan is under the influence of a Love Potion. He kicks the ass of a couple guards, cuts the ropes supporting the tent, and takes a moment to grab Sorsha for a passionate kiss as it collapses around them, all before cutting his way out of it again to escape with Willow and Elora Danan. Later during the fight at Tir Asleen, Madmartigan single-handedly takes down the giant two-headed dragon while Sorsha is watching him throughout the battle, increasingly amazed at his badassery. When the dragon goes down and Madmartigan is thrown to the ground she's standing over him with her sword drawn, and as he backs away from her unarmed (she's still technically his enemy at this point) Sorsha grabs him by the front of his armor, hauls him to his feet and plants an equally epic kiss on him as she completes her Heel–Face Turn.
- Kenny and Melissa in We're the Millers.
- Age of Summerhood: The speech! The music! The having to step upward so the boy can even reach the girl!
- Hustle & Flow: Shug plants a giant kiss on DJay before he goes to his climactic meeting with Skinny Black. This is the first overt romantic gesture between them.
- Moulin Rouge!: Christian and Satine at the end of the Elephant Love Medley, the background dissolves away to a field of stars that swirl around them, while they sing an Epic Duet of I Will Always Love You as the Man In The Moon sings opera and a choir vocalizes.
- Katniss and Peeta on the beach in Catching Fire.
- Subverted in Jurassic World, where Lowery decides to remain at his station to provide aid despite the risk and tries to give one of these to his co-worker Vivian before she leaves. She backs off and asks him what he's doing, and reveals she has a boyfriend. She just doesn't talk about him because they're at work. An earlier scene between the main characters Owen and Claire played the trope straight (which only made the later subversion funnier) after Claire saves Owen from a Dimorphodon.
- In Interstellar, Murph is so excited with her literal Eureka Moment that she gives her co-worker Getty a big one.
- Van Helsing: Before getting into the final battle, Anna Valerious and Van Helsing finally let out their sexual tension and both kiss with great passion.
- Small Soldiers: The next morning, after the climax, Christy says goodbye to Alan and kisses him on the cheek. Cue Jerry Goldsmith's sweeping score as he responds by grabbing her arm and pulling her in for a passionate this trope.
- Played for Laughs in the final battle of Get Smart, Maxwell remembers how kisses can distract the opponent and gives one to the traitor Agent 23.
- The song "Sixteen going on seventeen" in The Sound of Music finishes with Rolfe giving one to Liesl in a Romantic Rain.
- Tomorrow Never Dies: Although Bond is ostensibly giving air to Wai Lin so that she can breathe underwater, the way his mouth closes over hers for an extended period of time and the manner in which he holds her face look exactly like a passionate French kiss. The sweeping music, their flowing hair (the ocean current creates an effect which appears similar to wind), the warm colouring and lighting of the shot leave absolutely no doubt that this scene is epically romantic. Cue the collective swooning of Pierce Brosnan's fangirls.
- The first Tremors film ends with a spectacular (audience demanded) kiss between Val and Rhonda.
- Starship Troopers 3: Marauder: Dix Hauser and Lola Beck kiss each other with an Earth-Shattering Kaboom in the background.
- Cullen in A Brother's Price with his fianceé, his reaction to her proposing to him. The witnesses consider it inappropriate. He doesn't care.
- Jenny Doolittle and Lynn Lambretta's kiss in episode 17 of Bodacious Space Pirates. Cue massive Squeeing from all the schoolgirls in the room.
- Hermione gives Ron one after retrieving the Basilisk's fangs in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when Ron realizes they need to warn the house-elves to get out (Hermione having been the only person worried about their rights up until then). Harry's happy for them, but...
Harry: Is this really the moment? …OI! There's a war on here!
- It's even more of a Big Damn Kiss in the movie. Hermione has just destroyed a horcrux, they're both drenched with water and then they pounce on each other, complete with epic kiss music.
- There's also one between Harry and Ginny in The Half-Blood Prince.
Harry looked around; there was Ginny running towards him; she had a hard, blazing look in her face as she threw her arms around him. And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Percy and Annabeth share a spectacular Under Water Kiss at the end of The Last Olympian, ending five books of Belligerent Sexual Tension. Even Clarisse thought it was about time!
- "Think of life!" In Sabriel, this describes Sabriel and Touchstone's first kiss—bonus points because she's kissing him to resist the lure of Astarael, the bell that can send them both into Death, easily.
- Chronicles of the Kencyrath: Jame and Tori, in Mother Ragga's lodge, during a volcanic explosion. But while the trope itself isn't subverted, some of its expectations are. It does not resolve the Unresolved Sexual Tension, and They Do does not ensue. They have an epic kiss… then Tori freaks out and runs away.
- After having gone through hell, nearly died, found healing in each other's company and watched together as their world ended, Faramir and Éowyn claim the only romantic kiss of The Lord of the Rings on Minas Tirith's walls:
"Then must I leave my own people, man of Gondor" she said. "And would you have your proud folk say of you: 'There goes a lord who tamed a wild shieldmaiden of the North! Was there no woman of the race of Númenor to choose?'""I would," said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many.
- The Mortal Instruments:
- Alec finally outs himself in City of Glass by kissing Magnus in front of, well, everybody.
- Jace and Clary's first kiss in City of Bones, and their kiss in the faerie court in City of Ashes, also count.
- Alec and Seregil. Twice up til now. First time after a reunion, second time in the face of death.
- In Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, when Juliet and Trev kiss at the end of the match, they float in the air and are lit with a golden glow. Other characters comment on this.
- In-universe in The Hunger Games, where Katniss and Peeta share a few kisses that might qualify for the Capitol audience. In particular, their passionate kisses on the beach in the Quarter Quell. Serves as a Big Damn Kiss moment for many readers too.
- Hazel and Augustus in front of a crowd of tourists in the Anne Frank house in The Fault in Our Stars.
- After the climax of Heart of Steel, Alistair and Julia share one that overlaps with Smooch of Victory, described thus:
Their lips met like protons in a particle accelerator.
- Mortimer and Gabriel share one in a church after hours in Demon Meat For Dinner, finally confirming their feelings for each other.
- Game of Thrones:
- Jon and Ygritte after their ascent of the Wall in "The Climb".
- Sam and Gilly have their First Kiss as he prepares to go into battle in "The Watchers on the Wall".
- Missandei and Grey Worm in "Kill the Boy".
- The West Wing: It takes over six and a half seasons (145 episodes) of UST for Josh and Donna to finally kiss.
- Smallville: The final kiss (it isn't titled "Best Clark and Chloe scene ever" for nothing) between Clark and Chloe as Metropolis erupt into chaos due to Brainiac's virus and before Clark goes to face Zod in the season five finale, finally resolving the sexual tension that has been building up for the first five seasons, during which they shared four kisses but this one is the first and last, chronologically (season eight showed their First Kiss in a Happy Flashback) fully consensual kiss after Obscura in season one.
- Gilmore Girls : After 4 seasons of dancing around each other, Luke and Lorelai finally share their first kiss in "Raincoats & Recipes".
Lorelai: What are you doing?
Luke: Would you just stand still?
[They kiss. When they separate, Lorelai moves in for another one.]
Luke: [surprised by her action] What are you doing?
Lorelai: Would you just stand still?
[They kiss again.]
- As seen here.
- Friends: Ross and Rachel at the ends of "The One Where Ross Finds Out", "The One with the Prom Video." and "The Last One"
Chandler: I love her! [Cue shocked looks] That's right, I love her! I love her… I love you, Monica.
- Chandler and Monica have one in 'TOW Everyone Finds Out'. A big damn one because they have kissed before but this is their first public kiss, in front of all their friends and right after Chandler's openly yelled out his love for her.
Monica: I love you too Chandler. [They kiss]
- They have several more in 'TOW Ross Says Rachel', 'TOW In Vegas', 'TOW The Proposal', 'TOW Monica and Chandler's Wedding' and 'TOW The Birth Mother'
- The season two's finale, "TOW Barry and Mindy's Wedding", ends with Chandler and Janice making out. Not a happy version like the ones above, as she's married, they've broken up many times and this closes out a season where it's established he has a lot of issues and Hates Being Alone.
- Coffee Prince: There are a ton of these, but the one that really stands out is the "tackle kiss" where Eun jumps on top of her boss, and makes passionate kissing with her legs around his waist and pushing him into walls and other obstacles.
- Lost Girl, Although not the main couple, Kenzi and Hale's first real kiss could be labeled this. Hale has been pining after her for three seasons, which is even pointed out by Dyson. After a first smaller kiss, Kenzi mentions that it's a little weird. Rather than quit, this leads to a pretty hot, although funny, makeout session on Kenzi's kitchen counter.
- Doctor Who:
- Susan and David in "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" — a Time Lady and a human celebrating their newfound love in the middle of a massive interstellar war.
- Vicki and Troilus, while looking out over the ruins of Troy, in "The Myth Makers".
- Jack Harkness very gently kisses both Rose and the Doctor on the lips in "The Parting Of The Ways", before rushing off to what he believes will be his end. A few scenes later, the Ninth Doctor gives one to Rose — golden light and dramatic music and everything — after what has to be the absolute worst pun ever delivered in the series ("I think you need a Doctor"). It saves her life, and kills him, triggering his regeneration.
- When Rose and Ten's part-human meta-crisis clone kiss in "Journey's End", it epitomizes this trope, complete with epic music. Even better in the behind-the-scenes clips
- When River Song and the Doctor get married, the ensuing kiss restarts time again. The Power of Love indeed! Also even better in the behind-the-scenes clips!
- Before that, River saved the Doctor's life, giving him all he remaining regenerations by kissing him.
- The Doctor and the TARDIS share one which, although understated at the time, becomes very epic once it's revealed who she is.
- Rory and Older Amy have an absolutely romantic one in "The Girl Who Waited".
- Rory and Amy have another one toward the end of "Asylum Of the Daleks". Considering that they were on the verge of a divorce, this came as a relief for most fans.
- The Doctor initiates what may be the biggest damn kiss in the entire 50-year history of the series with the Virtual Ghost of River toward the end of "The Name of the Doctor" after telling her that he can always see her, that he loves her, and that saying goodbye would hurt too much.
- The Doctor's kiss with the Victorian echo of Clara is a sweeter example of this. While it catches the Doctor off guard, we get a sweet little melody playing behind it, some lights short-circuiting and a very surprised Doctor. The height difference is made very obvious as the Doctor is pulled down and his face afterwards... On the special "Creating Clara", the clothes designer commented on deliberately dressing both the Doctor and Clara as a couple for this scene.
- In a demented variation on the theme, in "Dark Water", the Doctor gets aggressively and elaborately snogged against a wall by Missy — a woman who later turns out to be the Master, bringing forty-three years of Foe Yay to critical mass. Possibly even bigger is their second kiss in the next episode, when it's mutually consensual.
- Lost promised its viewers a spectacular kiss in the season 4 finale. Halfway through, it seemed to be Kate and Sawyer in the helicopter. Then later in the episode it was topped by Desmond and Penny's reunion.
- In the finale, Kate and Jack have defeated the Man in Black, and realize they're never going to see each other again. The ensuing kiss is quite epic.
- When Odo finally kisses Kira on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, he does so in the middle of the very crowded Promenade (just outside of Quark's, no less) immediately following a very loud, very heated UST-charged argument between the two. Bonus points for everyone else stopping what they're doing to turn and stare as Odo and Kira kiss.
"You're right, who needs dinner?"
- Fraser and Thatcher on top of a train full of unconscious Mounties heading toward nuclear disaster in the Due South episode All the Queen's Horses.
- Arthur and Gwen's first kiss on Merlin is shot in slow motion, with dramatic lighting and an orchestra of violins. It is epic.
- They got another epic kiss when Gwen kisses Arthur to break a spell that has made him "fall in love" with a spoiled princess. It is also epic.
- In a season three episode Gwen is accused of witchcraft and dragged away to be burnt at the stake before Arthur's eyes. He lunges after her for a Last Kiss, and it takes four grown men to tear them apart. This kiss is actually referred to as the Kiss of Epic.
- Yet another one at the end of series 4 (spoilers).
- The Middle: Without a whole lot of warning to the fans, Axl kisses Lexie right when he shows up at her apartment at the end of the episode "The Par-tay".
- On Torchwood there is that stunning kiss between Jack and Ianto just before the Hub blows up and Jack is killed by a bomb in his stomach
- Kurt and Blaine's kiss on Glee is treated like this by the fans, and for good reason. Love Epiphany? Check. Incredibly romantic speech from Blaine to Kurt about the epiphany? Check. Complete aversion of But Not Too Gay? Check, finally. Fans flooding the Internet with posts after they catch their breath from squeeing loud enough to break windows? Fucking check. Not to mention all the real-life news celebrating how it's a media milestone (on FOX, no less!).
- And let's not forget Finn and Rachel's on-stage Nationals kiss in the season two finale. Even Finn comments on its epicness…
Finn: It was the Superman of kisses. It came with its own cape!
- And let's not forget Finn and Rachel's on-stage Nationals kiss in the season two finale. Even Finn comments on its epicness…
- Booth and Brennan's kiss on Bones, the real one. Seriously, five seasons on a show that's pratically based on Unresolved Sexual Tension.
- Chuck and Sarah have at least one a season until they FINALLY get together mid-season three. They even have two in one season-three episode.
- The Nanny has the epic kiss between Niles and CC.
- It wasn't their first kiss, but Richard and Kahlan's final kiss that ends Legend of the Seeker was the perfect end to the show, especially since they are the epitome of Earn Your Happy Ending.
- The episode "Pascal's Triangle Revisited" ends with one between Jeff and Annie.
- Annie and Abed have one in "A Few Paintballs More." Subverted in that he drops the persona like a hot potato when they "die," and doesn't seem affected by it in the slightest.
- Jeff and Annie have one in the series finale "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television." They admit that while neither one is in a good position for a real relationship, they imply that they can try for real once they've spent some time apart.
Annie: I think if you don't kiss me goodbye you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
- The Secret Life of the American Teenager: For shippers of the couple, Ricky and Amy's kiss onstage at the former's high school graduation is this. It wasn't their first kiss, but it was a big deal since they got engaged seconds before the kiss. And before that, there was their "practice kiss"
- Between Jo Min Sung and Yoo Eun Joo in Once Upon a Time in Saengchori.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer :
- Homaged with the kiss between Buffy and Spike in "Once More With Feeling" which, as it takes place at the end of a Musical Episode, is accompanied by swelling music and falling curtains.
- Parodied (twice !) with Xander and Cordelia in "What's My Line Pt 2" (with cheesy music and all).
- When Angel becomes human in "I Will Remember You"; Buffy finds out about it when he walks up to her in the sunlight and sweeps her into his arms for a passionate embrace.
- Babylon 5 gives John Sheridan and Delenn theirs in "And the Rock Cried Out 'No Hiding Place'" after Delenn shows Sheridan a whole fleet of fast, maneuverable, highly advanced White Star spaceships. Keep in mind that he'd confessed his love for her nine episodes earlier. It would be easy to assume this wasn't their First Kiss, except their body language screams that they've never done this before (although they got pretty close once). Apparently that pesky war kept getting in the way...
Delenn: We finally have, as you say, a fighting chance.
Sheridan: [after a long Held Gaze] …I don't know what to say.
Delenn: Then say nothing…
[Sheridan proceeds to snog her senseless]
- Much like the painfully obvious UST between Mulder and Scully, the writers absolutely loved to torture and tease fans with this trope. There were two almost kisses and one very passionate kiss during a Wizard of Oz-like fever dream before Mulder and Scully finally kissed for real in season 7's "Millenium." And for the sizzling UST that had (at that point) been building for seven years, the kiss was surprisingly chaste. It was a quiet moment in a hospital while watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve. It didn't even get heated. It's considered by the fans to be the Big Damn Kiss just because it actually happened and kick-started the resolution of their UST. Off-screen, of course. Damn you, Chris Carter!
- Castle: Beckett and Castle finally kiss for keeps after 4 seasons of UST!
- Two on M*A*S*H:
- First, Hawkeye and Margaret are taking shelter from artillery fire. During the ensuing madness, they finally kiss.
- Hawkeye and Margaret again, in the series finale. With the rest of the 4077th going their separate ways after the end of the war, the two have an EXTENDED makeout session before parting. B.J. and everyone else just kind of mill about and look away politely, waiting for it to end.
- The conclusion of the Happy Days episode "Joanie's First Kiss." 'Nuff said.
- NCIS has the long awaited kiss between Tony and Ziva, just in time for Cote de Pablo to depart the show in the season 11 opener. And it is glorious.
- Frasier: Daphne and Niles have two extremely big damn ones: their first kiss in "Moon Dance", and their second one on Daphne's wedding night.
- Manny gets what is apparently his First Kiss at the beginning of the Modern Family episode "Party Crasher", only for both of them to find out that a surprise birthday party has been planned for him.
- Veronica Mars: After a CMOA from one of the previously hateful characters in the series, Logan Echolls. Though Logan begins warming up to Veronica en Episode 4, first season, and their relationship has been building up for many more episodes, his suddenly protective attitude is a hint of what will happen afterwards. Veronica kisses him slightly in the corner or his mouth, apparently as a gesture of thanks for his chivalrous behaviour. Then she looks surprised, as if she couldn't believe what she's done. Logan eats her with his eyes before he kisses her, and then they embrace passionately. Great buildup by plot, impressive acting from both leads, and perfectly matched music. The crew meant for this one to be a Big Damn one, and they succeeded. (In all the youtube recaps for the couple's best moments, their first kiss is normally either number one or number two).
- The Big Bang Theory: After going off on a rant about romance, Sheldon initiates one of the most romantic TV kisses of all time with Amy on Valentine's Day in "The Locomotive Manipulation." AND HE LIKES IT.
- During season nine, we get a second Big Damn Kiss between Sheldon and Penny, and a million Shenny shippers squeed in delight. However, it turns out to be All Just a Dream
- A third happens during the same season toward the end of "The Earworm Reverberation". Particularly notable since Sheldon and Amy had broken up and were having issues getting over it. It even continues through The Stinger!
- The Mentalist: The season 6 final scene…
- Parodied in Saturday Night Lives parody of The Amazing Spider-Man 2s kissing scene. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone prepare for shooting the climactic kiss scene, only for them to turn to have no idea how to kiss like normal.
- How I Met Your Mother: After a season of Unrequited Love Switcheroo, Ted and Robin finally got together in this style
- Mad Men, of all shows, does this in the finale with Peggy and Stan. It's done in the most romcom manner humanly possible but yet it still completely works in spite of all the cheese
- In "Legends of Tomorrow", this kind of kiss is delivered by Sara Lance and Leonard Snart right before he dies in order to save the team. It was obviously the only possible outcome after a lot of Unresolved Sexual Tension and Ship Tease. The music which has been used as credit music throughout the first season swells from dramatic to romantic, lights are burning in the background. It is the last time these two characters interact in Season 1.
- Killjoys: "I Love Lucy" has three examples. John kisses Lucy (in a fembot), Dutch kisses Alvis and D'Avin kisses Sabine (the latter two having sex as well).
- Stranger Things: Mike kisses Eleven in the last episode after desperately trying and failing to explain his feelings for her. Given they're both about 12 it's an extremely cute moment. Considering Eleven had to have even the concept of friendship explained to her, it's not surprising she's shocked. Even Mike is shocked that he had the courage to do it.
- After 20+ episodes' worth of buildup, Holby City's Berenice "Bernie" Wolfe unceremoniously and quite desperately snogs her colleague and dearest friend (and fellow surgeon) Serena Campbell as they sit slumped on the floor of the operating theatre after frantically working to save Fletch's life. It takes Serena a good few seconds to recover her wits enough to snog Bernie back — which she does, enthusiastically.
- Clary and Jace after Clary gets the Cup in "Major Arcana." Accompanied by a swelling, dramatic soundtrack, no less.
- Alec and Magnus in the appropriately titled episode "Malec" after Magnus interrupts Lydia and Alec's wedding and Alec finds the courage to come out rather than marry Lydia and remain closeted and unhappy.
- Penny Dreadful: After a season and a half of major Unresolved Sexual Tension and Ship Tease, Ethan and Vanessa finally have one, complete with swelling music, Romantic Rain and Hollywood Fire.
- In the Supergirl episode, "Worlds' Finest" Kara and James kiss, after almost a season of UST. Kara reacts with glee, Jimmy doesn't react because he's being mind-controlled, like every other human in National City.
- In the episode "Medusa", we get two - between Alex and Maggie, and between Kara and Mon-El, who's dying of exposure to Kryptonian bioweapon. He passes out right after, and at the end of the episode when he's back to normal, he seems to have no memory of it.
- "Dark & Long" by Underworld from dubnobasswithmyheadman, a 7:19 track where the line "Now I kiss you dark & long" is repeated at various intervals.
- Hernaldo's song "El beso que me has dado" (The kiss that you have given me) is from the POV of someone who has just been on the receiving end of a Big Name Kiss and is very happy about it.
- Spike Dudley and Molly Holly had several Aborted First Kisses before they finally had the big one after a match between their two families (the Dudley Boyz and the Holly Cousins). Jim Ross said it was "just like Brad Pitt and what's-her-name".
- AJ Lee is a master at this, but arguably her greatest kisses were:
- Used for gruesome Body Horror in Big Finish Doctor Who. After a whole lot of Unresolved Sexual Tension, the Eighth Doctor and his companion Charlotte finally decide to talk about their feelings. As it happens, at the time they're trapped in a nightmare void for weeks or possibly months, their senses have been dulled completely, they're blinded by piercing light, there's a constant piercing screech in their (and our) ears, something is slowly eating them, and they discover that they've been holding hands for so long that their fingers have started melting together. As a desperate last-ditch effort to survive, the Doctor tells Charlotte to mash her mouth against his so they can melt into each other's faces and become a single organism together.
- In Bye Bye Birdie, to grab one last bit of publicity out of Conrad Birdie before he is inducted into the Army, he is to give "One Last Kiss" to one girl "chosen at random from 1,200,000 hysterical teen-agers." Unfortunately, what the television cameras capture is not Conrad Birdie planting a kiss on Kim MacAfee of Sweet Apple, Ohio but Kim's boyfriend Hugo flooring Conrad with one blow.
- The Phantom of the Opera combines this with a Tear Jerker Bittersweet Ending beautifully.
- "Champagne" from In the Heights has one at the end, complete with swelling music.
- In City of Angels, Stone and Alaura shared a big passionate kiss as her theme music swells.
- Mass Effect:
- Mass Effect features this for the final romance scene, if the player pursues that option. Given that an Almost Kiss had happened very recently beforehand, it makes it all the more meaningful.
- Executed brilliantly, beautifully, heartwarmingly well at the conclusion of Lair of the Shadow Broker between Shepard and a romanced Liara in Mass Effect 2.
- Perhaps making up for the Headbutt of Love in the second game, Garrus and female Shepard have two of these in Mass Effect 3 if their relationship continues. The first is during their date high atop the Presidium when Shepard agrees to be his girlfriend, and the second is in London before the final battle for Earth. And if Shepard's reaction is any indication, Garrus is one hell of a kisser for a guy who doesn't have lips.
- BioWare loves this trope in general, as the same thing happens in Dragon Age II as Hawke's having one last conversation with the party members before the Very Definitely Final Dungeon. It's especially poignant if Hawke's Love Interest is either Fenris (due to the Second-Act Breakup they had) or Anders because he's a fugitive terrorist at that point.
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition DLC Trespasser, Inquisitors who romanced Solas will combine the trope with Intimate Healing and potentially Last Kiss during their final encounter when he stops the Mark from killing her by magically removing her left forearm. Swelling music, spinning camera, gorgeous scenery, glowing effects - the whole nine yards.
- The Scott Pilgrim video game ends each of the first four levels with one between Scott and Ramona.
- Final Fantasy X had a 2-minute long sequence of this between Tidus and Yuna.
- Brütal Legend has the awesome moment where Eddie and Ophielia kiss for the first time while the Screaming Wall blares a shockwave of sonic energy, causing hair to billow dramatically.
- Valkyria Chronicles has a big one between Welkin and Alicia at the climax of the "Maiden's Shield" chapter, where he stops her from attempting a Heroic Sacrifice against the Marmota by declaring his love and asking her to marry him. Alicia tearfully accepts and they share an emotional first kiss, which includes a 360 degree camera pan and sparkling light from her Valkyria transformation.
- In Dead Rising 3, Nick and Annie share one after Red is defeated.
- After 13 chapters of UST in Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories, Adell embraces Rozalin in the good ending to calm her "True Overlord Zenon" form. She turns back to normal from Adell's Cooldown Hug, and the following dialogue occurs:
Rozalin: (sob) Sh- Shut up... you're an enemy! I can't trust anyone...
Adell: Stop talking and trust this.
(cue The Big Damn Kiss)
- Life Is Strange has two potential ones in the finale. Depending on your past choices with him, Max, still drenched from the storm, has the option of kissing Warren before she leaps back in time. At the end of the game, if you choose to sacrifice Chloe to save the town, depending on your Relationship Values with her, Max can grab Chloe and kiss her in front of the tornado. In both cases, Max can just hug them instead if Relationship Values aren't high enough.
- At the climax of Season One of Guild Wars 2's Living World, NPC party member Kasmeer Meade kisses Marjory Delaqua passionately on the lips out of relief to find that she's still alive, confirming all former hints of their homosexuality and becoming an official couple.
- An omnipresent trope in the Renai genre. Kissing scenes are always one of the few that get their own unique CG art, while the rest of the story uses character sprites.
- Little Busters!: One of the last CGs in Mio's route shows them kissing dramatically in front of a truly beautiful sky.
- Pictured above: Miyako Miyamura and Hiro Hirono get one in ef - a fairy tale of the two..
- Katawa Shoujo has one for every route, but out of all of them, Emi's is very striking.
- Check, Please! after two years of dancing around each other, Jack and Bitty kiss on the finale of year 2 "Goodbye to Summer", solving their Will They or Won't They?. They Do.
- Girl Genius: "Oh for pity's sake. Go give him something to fight for." So big it takes two pages. Or,
Tarvek: When she kissed Wulfenbach, my glasses started to melt.
- Exaggerated and Parodied several times in Homestuck Jake kissing Dirk here, with his coat billowing in the wind, while a volcano erupts behind them, a dragon circles overhead, and the apocalypse approaches, would be one of the most over the top examples here, except, well, He's kissing Dirk's Severed Head.
- In The Order of the Stick Elan delivers a glorious "Shut Up" Kiss to Haley. And it's comic #400, to boot!
- Misfile - FINALLY!!! Ash & Emily's first real kiss!
- Here in O Human Star.
- El Goonish Shive:
- The kiss between, Nanase and Ellen at the end of the Grace's Birthday Party arc was given an extra-large panel, and a glowing, star-filled background. There were even four◊ different◊ wallpapers◊ made◊ using that panel.
- The kiss between Elliot and Ashley in the "So a Date at the Mall" arc was emphasized with a large panel, and an odd angle, and served as a turning point in the arc, as they transitioned from two characters on a date to an actual couple.
- From A Miracle of Science. It took over four hundred pages, a number of explosions, and falling from orbit on wings of fire, but it was well worth it for a kiss this damn big.
- Questionable Content: Dale and Marigold kiss for the first time here.
- At the end of ''Inverloch, Lei'ella gives one to Varden when she decides not to rejoin elven society and he invites her to be his thieving partner.
- Housepets!: After getting stuck in the woods, falling down a gully, getting trapped in a cage, and having a run-in with one of Pete's gargoyles, Jessica and Zach have a nice, long heart-to-heart. Once they patch each other up, Jessica says she's like to hang out with him again and pulls him in for a Big Damn Kiss. note
- In Good Guy Comic the protagonist, Guy, gets one at the end of the second chapter.
- In Agents of the Realm, Camel gives Folami one as a way to accept her marriage proposition.
- In Classic Alice we have a few parties do a 'big kiss' (though the biggest is the last of this list). There is one between Alice and Ewan in episode 13, the kiss between Cara & Lily in Musica Mundana, and finally the very slow burn kiss between Alice and Andrew in episodes 51 & 53
- Roy and Valerie share a big damn kiss after they reconcile in Journey of the Cartoon Man. It enables them to escape from a pit of quicksand.
- In Welcome to Night Vale, after 27 episodes of Cecil crushing on Carlos, they kiss at the end of their first date.
- There's a lot of kisses in Critical Role but the biggest one is actually pretty subtle: after many episodes of Ship Tease and being on the receiving end of thankful cheek-kisses, Percy at last initiates a kiss with Vex'ahlia and promises that they'll "talk later" just before the end of Episode 72.
- At the end of the Van Beuren Studios cartoon "Circus Capers", Milton Mouse (an obvious Mickey Mouse copycat) gives this to his girlfriend, and it literally makes her panties fly clean off!
- Green Lantern and Hawkgirl have one at the end of the Justice League episode Wild Cards.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender ends with a beautiful one between Aang and Katara, which brings the series to a close and cements their status as an Official Couple.
- The end of Kim Possible: So The Drama ends with Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable going through their Relationship Upgrade and kissing at the junior prom. Originally this was intended to be the Grand Finale to the series. At the end of the real Grand Finale, after graduating high school and saving the world from an Alien Invasion, Kim and Ron kiss whilst flying off towards the moonrise in their Flying Car.
- Due to their recent exposure to Applied Phlebotinum, Sonic and Sally cause fireworks when they kiss at the end of the Sonic SatAM finale.
- Starfire and Robin kiss in the rain at the end of Teen Titans Trouble In Tokyo, with a rotating camera a tiny bit of "Shut Up" Kiss and smiles and "It's about time"s from the team AND the fandom.
- In Season 21, Episode 15 of The Simpsons, "Stealing First Base", Bart's crush, Nikki, performs mouth-to-mouth on him after a fall from the school building puts him into an unconscious state. What ensues is a montage of many famous kisses in films and media, including kisses from "Ghost", "Spider-Man", and "Wall-E". See for yourself.
- In the Thundercats 2011 episode "Legacy," La Résistance member Panthera celebrates her people's Pyrrhic Victory over their oppressive commander by initiating a Smooch of Victory with her boyfriend, Rebel Leader Leo, just as their ship is about to crash into what will become Third Earth.
- The Generator Rex episode "Assault on Abysus" has Rex and Circe kiss, complete with slow-motion and tears in Circe's eyes before she helps Rex escape from Providence, getting captured herself in the process.
- Tiny Toon Adventures: Happens at the end of "My Dinner With Elmyra" when Elmyra plants a big one on Montana Max.
- Angel's Friends: Raf and Sulfus finally kiss in episode 26 much to the joy of Reina and fangirls.
- In The Beatles episode "Eight Days A Week," Paul fills in for movie kisser Lips Lovelace, but his lady co-star is a chronic kisser. After a chase with the co-star's "jealous boyfriend" and constant kissing, Paul is ready to give the job back to Lovelace, but not before his co-star wants to thank him with a "great...big...kiss!"
- In "Baby's In Black," Paul is so relieved that the girl in the vampire get-up wasn't a real vampire that he plants a big one on her. She's so ecstatic ("Paul actually kissed me!!") she starts flying without the wires she used earlier.
- When Goliath and Elisa finally kiss in Gargoyles, it's more of a Small Damn Kiss, but since (particularly older) fans had been waiting upwards of 60 episodes for this to happen, it still counts.
- After breaking away from the "friend zone" placed on him by an omniscient asteroid, Mordecai kisses Margaret during an epic meteor shower in Regular Show. It is just as epic as it sounds.
- One occurs in Gravity Falls between Mabel and Mermando.
- The Amazing World of Gumball has one in "The Shell" between Gumball and Penny.
Gumball: That's not what you are, it's how you feel, and this is how I feel.
- Miraculous Ladybug: In the episode Dark Cupid, Chat Noir is hit by arrow that causes him to hate Ladybug with a passion. How is he broken out of it? Ladybug has to kiss him. Doubles as a True Love's Kiss, thanks to the love-square.
- The Distant Finale episode of Phineas and Ferb appears to subvert this between Phineas and Isabella, with them merely sharing a warm hug and a promise to meet up at college as she drives off. Then he goes after her, pulls her out of the car, and does it for real.
Isabella: "That was worth the wait."
- Samurai Jack: Ashi, a girl from a band of sister warriors sent to kill Jack, becomes his companion (after an Enemy Mine session). In episode XCIX after Jack and Ashi defeat an insectoid monster to exhaustion, they turn to each other and...well, what else? And to a recording of the Dean Martin standard "Everybody Loves Somebody."
- The VJ Day Kiss. An unidentified sailor kisses Edith Shain (RIP, 6/20/2010) on news of the end of World War II.
- Barack and Michelle Obama shared a Big Damn Hug when TV networks announced the former's victory in the 2012 presidential election. It quickly became the most tweeted photo in history, beating the previous record set by Justin Bieber.
- When Adrien Brody won his Academy Award, he was so overcome with joy he planted one◊ on presenter Halle Berry. A few months later, while he was at the MTV Movie Awards, Queen Latifah decided it was her turn.◊
- Since the next year's Best Actress award is presented by the previous year's Best Actor winner, Adrien Brody humorously referenced his kiss and quickly used some breathspray before announcing the winner, Charlize Theron, who did give Brody a quick kiss on the lips.
- Six words: "You may now kiss the bride."
- When Julia Louis-Dreyfus won the Emmy for Outstanding Actress in an Emmy in 2014, Bryan Cranston planted one of the most epic (but staged) kisses in award show history.
- After the Spanish victory in the 2010 World Cup, goalkeeper Iker Casillas planted one on his girlfriend, well-known reporter Sara Carbonero... while she was interviewing him on live television.
- The city of Vancouver rioted after its hockey team lost. In the midst of the chaos, Alexandra Thomas was knocked down. To calm her, her boyfriend, Scott Jones, kissed her as they sat in the middle of the street, surrounded by armed police. It was caught on camera.