"If you're Monkey and I'm Beetle, why isn't he called Boy?"Some completely uncreative owner has decided the family pet will be known as Dog. Or, perhaps, a similarly uncreative author names their feline character Kitty. Alternately, the creature in question does have a less Shaped Like Itself name, but for whatever reason, Alice the Pig prefers to go as Piggy. Usually but not always applied to animals; robots imaginatively named Robot and the like are part of this trope, too. Remarkably common in children's shows, despite the obvious problems it should theoretically cause. One might show a touch more flair by naming something what it is in a foreign language, like a lion named Leo. A common subversion is to name something it's not, e.g. a dog named Platypus. A subtrope of Shaped Like Itself. Pokémon Speak is a closely-related trope where something's named for the sound it makes. Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep" is another closely-related trope where a character is only known by their job title. See also Species Surname ("Dog Smith" is A Dog Named "Dog", "Bob T. Dog" is Species Surname), Namedar, A Lizard Named "Liz". If the cast is full of these, it's Animal Theme Naming. If a character's species is named after the character's name, it's A Kind of One. Note that robots also have their own trope. This trope name itself uses A Noun Referred To As X.
—Beetle, Kubo and the Two Strings
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Strips
- Animated Films
- Live-Action Films
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Animation
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
open/close all folders
- The bear from Masha and The Bear is named "The Bear".
- Many of the lesser McDonaldland characters have names like this. The policeman whose giant head is made out of a Big Mac is named Big Mac, the bird is named Birdie, the orange juice tree is named the Orange Juice Tree, etc..
- One animated advertising campaign for Taco Bell featured the characters Nacho (a cat) and Dog (a dog), invoking and averting this trope at the same time.
- The undead dog from The Amazing Screw-On Head is called... wait for it... Mr. Dog.
- Miyamoto Usagi of Usagi Yojimbo. This name is in Japanese order: "Usagi" (Japanese for "rabbit") is the given name.
- In the graphic novel Jonah Hex: No Way back, Jonah adopts a dog (or, rather, he allows it to follow him around and feeds it occasionally), that he names 'Dawg'.
- Peter Chimaera's Digimon Savez teh Wrold revolves around the adventures of a Digimon named Digimon. In his own words: "Auithors notel Digimon is a new Digimon because there is not actual Digimon that is called Digimon he is a new one that I invented"
- Inverted in Turnabout Storm. When Fluttershy hears Phoenix Wright's name, she jumps to the conclusion that he's an actual phoenix who's in his "shedding his feathers before bursting into flame" stage. Nick tries to correct her, but as Twilight Sparkle points out, at least this way Fluttershy is actually talking to him.
- The one-time character Monkey from Calvin and Hobbes: The Series.
- In the Supernatural fanfic "Castiel and Canis", Castiel has a dog named Canis.
- In the One Piece fanfic "Second Wind", Luffy brings a Kung Fu Dugong with his crew on their adventure…and names him Seal.
- In What Is Right: Year Two Harry and Sirius decide on Canis as the public name for Sirius' dog form.
- In The Sorting Hat's Stand Harry picks up a black cat which he decides to call Neko, lampshading it in an aside to the animal.
Harry: I know, it means cat, but hey, it is gender neutral and descriptive.
- In The Elements Of Friendship, the country of Zebras is called Pundamilia, the Swahili word for... 'zebra'. Similarly, the Zebra Queen, Malkia, bears the Swahili word for 'queen' as a name.
- In The Games We Play, Jaune adopts a puppy he calls Tiangou, Gou for short. Gou is Chinese for dog.
- In This Time Around the Hogwarts Sorting Hat is called Galerus, which is Latin for "hat."
- In Family Ties Harry calls a snake that Voldemort insists is his familiar Ular without realizing that it means "snake."
- In Harry and Luna Meet the Big Blue Giants Luna adopts a nantang as a pet and decides to call it Tang.
- Once there was a band. They were called The Band.
- Peter, Paul, and Mary put out an album called Album.
- Inverted in the children's song "I've Got a Dog and my Dog's Name is Cat" by Barry Louis Polisar. (His cat's named Dog, too, and his bird and fish are respectively Fish and Bird.)
- Metallica is a borderline example, metallica being the Latin phrase for "of metal" (the name was to go for a fanzine of a friend of Lars Ulrich's way back in 1981, but he repurposed it for the band).
- They Might Be Giants have a song entitled Doctor Worm, which is about a worm who goes by that name, who plays drums. In the song, he sings that he's not a real doctor, but he is a real worm.
- The British band Fire has a song called "Father's Name was Dad."
- The White Stripes song "The Hardest Button to Button" have lyrics that mention the birth of a baby boy that is named "Baby".
- Played with, in several various ways, in the song "The Name Of My Frog" by Bryant Oden:
I have a bunny named Bunny and a rat named Rat
A bird named Bird and a cat named Cat
A ferret named Ferret and a dog named Dog
So you can probably guess the name of my frog:
Francis Felix Fenton Fabian
Finley Farnsworth Falco Fallon
Flannigan Fairfax Freddy Mc Grog
Farley Fernando the Frog
- It gets even sillier later.
- Tree the tree, companion of Gateway Championship Wrestling and St. Louis Anarchy's Johnny Greenpeace, which was of course a potted tree.
- Fisher-Price names the puppy in their Laugh and Learn line... Puppy. The monkey is named Monkey, the frog is named Froggy, the duck is named Ducky, and puppy's sister? Sis. And these are only the organic examples, the franchise also runs with this trope with inorganic objects department like Cookie Jar, Soccer Ball and Mail Box. Granted that the line is targeted at infants, but it gives you the perception that they're shaping up children to name their pets using this trope.
- V-Tech also does this to some extent. The Blue dog's name is Puppy as well.