Web Animation: Inanimate Insanity
Inanimate Insanity, inspired by [[Series:Survivor]], Total Drama Island
, and Battle for Dream Island
, is an animated series on YouTube
by AnimationEpic (Adam Katz) hosted by an anthropomorphic iPhone 4 named MePhone4. It features 14 (later 15 as Apple joins, and 16 as Bow joins) contestants competing for 1 million dollars.
This show provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Salt to OJ
- Animate Inanimate Object: The entire cast!
- Anyone Can Die: Contestants are able to come back to life inexplicably, which has been lampshaded.
- Briefcase Full of Money: The prize money was suggested by MePhone4 to be in the briefcase. However, after Taco tried stealing it and after the briefcase fell off Crappy Cliff into the water, MePhone4 told everyone that it was actually in the bank.
- Butt Monkey: All the contestants of the show can be considered this, as they all must go through painful challenges.
- Call Back:
- The Santa storyline in the Christmas challenge was brought back in Marsh on Mars.
- The first season's finale recalls all the previous challenges.
- The finale credits feature many, many callbacks to things like Baseball's book, Marshmallow's ability to defy gravity, Salt and Pepper's "bad luck" complete with a lightning strike, etc.
- Castof Snowflakes
- Censored Title: The original teaser for Inanimate Insanity was renamed from "The Crappy Trailer" to "The Stupid Trailer".
- Chained Heat: Yin and Yang, always.
- Chekhov's Gun: OJ's cork in "Journey Through Memory Lane Part I".
- Cliffhanger: "Journey Through Memory Lane Part I".
- Companion Cube: Box can be considered this since it is revealed he is just a plain cardboard box, but the others threat it like it had a personality.
- Contest Winner Cameo: Party Hat is almost given a boomerang and cries.
- Crossdressing Voices: Bow, Apple, Lightbulb, Suitcase, an Test Tube have voice actors with different genders than the actual character.
- Taco, Salt, Pepper, and Marshmallow can be considered this depending on which voice actor is utilized.
- Paintbrush may be this, depending on its gender.
- Curse Cut Short: At the end of the opening scene of "One-Shot Wonder", it is assumed the Nickel is about to call Knife some sort of swear.
- Deadpan Snarker: Nickel, Knife, Trophy, Paintbrush.
- Devilin Plain Sight: Trophy.
- Disney Death: Mephone4 lives thanks to Mephone 4 S.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When Knife comments on Baseball's "fatness", Baseball responds by going insane and punting him with all his strength into the frozen water.
- Does This Remind Youof Anything: Nickel dropped chocolate on Baseball's head win in a tree.
- Dont Try Thisat Home: The intro to the first episode features this disclaimer.
- Double Entendre: Just give all the balls to me.
- Double Knockout: The moment in II II episode 1 when Marshmallow and Fan are hit and when characters are hit in pairs by Microphone's dodgeballs.
- Easy Come, Easy Go: Yin and Yang lose their freedom due to their inability to live alone.
- Easily Forgiven: Apple and Marshmallow, Salt and Pepper, Paper and OJ.
- Easily-Overheard Conversation: Trophy eavesdropping on Knife talking to his Dora Doll aloud.
- Epic Fail:
- Just about every cliff jump in the first episode
- Marshmallow's failure to use gravity
- Baseball's epic jump kick in episode three
- Knife's attack on Marshmallow in the beginning of episode six.
- Everyone Meets Everyone: It is assumed that everyone just met as the show first started, other than Salt and Pepper.
- Evil Counterpart: Mephone4S to MePhone4, Evil Paper to Paper, and Evil Bow to Bow.
- Evil All Along: Taco
- Evil Laugh: Mephone 4 S and Yang.
- Evil Versus Evil: Knife vs. Trophy.
- Funny Background Event: Frequently. In various scenes, a character that is onscreen that isn't currently speaking will briefly have a very crazy face.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Bomb's constant stuttering was pointed out by kukukk13 in the comments of one of the episodes to be possibly interpreted as offensive to people with speech impairments/problems. AnimationEpic respectfully disagreed by stating that Bomb doesn't let his speech problem define him, and said he finds it inspiring that Bomb is included alongside the rest of the cast, who never make fun of or even acknowledge his stuttering. Still, he took this into account and replied that Season 2 would exclude Bomb. The original commenter later responded, saying he understood what AnimationEpic meant and agreed that it was up to interpretation.
- In general, the cartoon is less kid-friendly than a network show, though it has become more appropriate for children as the series has gone on, eliminating previously-used censored cursing. Though, humorously in the context of this trope, the use of the word "crap" in a few episodes itself would probably not get past the radar for a childrens' animated series.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Salt and Pepper.
- It Tastes Like Feet: In the season finale, when OJ finally gets to taste one of MePhone4's cookies for winning.
- Japanese Ranguage: Fan. Though it's played down in the second season.
- Jerk Jock: Knife. But he refers to himself as the jerk, and Trophy as the jock.
- Kick the Dog: Knife does this a few times.
- Killed Off for Real: In the finale, MePhone5 and Bow are all killed off permanently when they fall into the spring water at the bottom of the Crappy Cliff. MePhone4S also sacrifices himself to bring back MePhone4.
- Lampshade Hanging: Balloon says archive lines for the latter half of the first season. He continues to in the beginning of the first Season 2 episode, but as soon as he joins, he starts saying new lines, claiming "Now that I've joined the season, I figured I might as well start saying actual stuff again!"
- Larynx Dissonance
- Love Triangle: Salt, Pepper and OJ.
- Morality Pet: OJ to Paper.
- Nightmare Fuel: Several occasions. MePhone4S's death trap is played for laughs, but some may find Taco's tongue ripping in two pieces- with a paper tearing sound to boot! a bit disturbing. The scenes with Evil Bow are actually quite frightening, as is MePhone5's chilling robotic voice.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Taco, after MePhone5 gets knocked off the cliff.
- Show Within a Show: Desperate Housewives. Knife and Paper were watching it in the second episode. It also counts as a Shout-Out.
- Shout-Out: Various references have been made, especially to The Terminator in the form of MePhone4S.
- The Christmas Special refers to other yuletide outings such as Charlie Brown and Rudolph.
- Take My Hand: MePhone4S says this to MePhone4 during the cliffhanger ending of Part One of the finale. The hand adds, "Not so hard!". Funnily enough, the usual resolution for this cliché is subverted, as the Me Phones merely fall onto the ground afterwards, no parachute or anything.
- Terminator: MePhone4S.
- The Mole: Taco. Pretends to be mentally deficient in order to gain popularity and to not look like a threat to the others.
- The Voiceless: Balloon during the second half of the first season, in which archive lines are utilized.
- Time Skip: There is at least one month between episodes and an assumed larger jump between seasons.
- Those Two Guys: Pickle and OJ.
- Too Quirky To Lose: Taco. She had mental issues and was annoying at times, This was actually just her cover to get viewers to like her and thus get her into the Final 2.
- Unexplained Recovery: Lampshaded in Episode 10. Bomb returns after exploding earlier in the challenge, and OJ asks how he came back. Bomb starts to stutter out a response, but after a moment OJ decides to forget it. It's finally explained in Season 2.
- We Hardly Knew Ye:
- Baseball, since he's the second one to be eliminated and doesn't return to the show. However, he is confirmed for Season 2.
- Balloon as well, since after he gets eliminated, he hardly speaks ever again. This is because his voice actor (Nate Groth) got fired for hacking Adam's YouTube account. However, he is also returning for Season 2, and Nate Groth was even re-hired to voice him.
- The Wiki Rule: Gained a wiki on Wikia. Adam's also on there.
- Word of God: Might show up in the comments or the above-mentioned wiki.