"The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease."
—Worst Analogies Ever Written in a High School Essay
For some reason, people tend to describe foods that taste terrible in terms of things that no sane person has any right to know the taste of.
The name comes from the episode of Friends
where Rachel accidentally combines an English Trifle and a Shepherd's Pie, making the world's first (and hopefully last) Shepherd's Trifle. See it here
. Meat, onions, whipped cream and jam? And just how would
Ross know what feet taste like? A sister trope to Lethal Chef
In Real Life
, some examples of this trope are physiologically justifiable
. On its own, the tongue is only capable of detecting a few basic tastes - salty, sweet, bitter, sour, savory. The more subtle and complex flavors associated with foods are actually due to the sense of smell, as aromatic molecules travel from the mouth up into the nasal cavity from behind
. Thus, the smell of a non-food item can often be considered a reasonable guess as to its flavor. Of course, this only works for concrete examples of the trope ("this tastes like shit"), as opposed to more abstract/metaphorical uses
("this tastes like death").
Also, some people
probably would know what feet taste like
, such as Quentin Tarantino
, or Joss Whedon
Contrast with Tastes Like Chicken
. Not to be confused with an instance of someone actually tasting a foot
. Or metaphorically tasting their foot
. If someone is really
eating a foot, then the trope might be I Ate What?
See also Tastes Like Purple
, for things it shouldn't even be possible to taste. May or may not be invoked for Foreign Queasine
or A Tankard of Moose Urine
. Most people expect a Mess On A Plate
to taste like this.
open/close all folders
- In Mister Asterisk's Neon Genesis Evangelion The Abridged Series, when the entry plug of EVA 001 fills with LCL Shinji comments that it tastes like primordial soup, subverted since LCL is primordial soup but as with this trope Shinji would have no reason to know what that tasted like.
- In Megami33's Sailor Moon Abridged, when Serena gets some of Darian's blood on her hand, she thinks it's ketchup and licks it saying "This tastes like pennies." Serena, is there anything you won't eat?
- Blood does taste rusty, and pennies smell rusty, so it's an understandable assumption.
- People have also misheard the line as, "This tastes like panties," which is more logical, though simultaneously more terrifying.
Anime & Manga
- In a an infamous episode of Pokémon (see Lethal Chef), James describes May's culinary disaster:
: "It has a hint of...how you say
...jet fuel. With ze aftertaste of burning tortoise. And for some reason, I can't swallow it."
- Inverted with Dawn's mom's Poffin recipe for her Glameow, the Meowth of Team Rocket likes it — and both are cat-based Pokemon.
- In Moyashimon, Tadayasu describes the taste of hongeohoe (stingray sashimi that's been fermented in the ray's own urea and digestive juices) like this: "You know how at campsites, the filthy cramped men's bathroom just has one long urinal trough? I feel like I just picked up a piece of toilet paper that's been stewing in there for a few weeks and put it in my mouth."
- In an early chapter of Gintama, Gin puts some of everything in the fridge into their nabe. When Kagura tries it, she comments, "It tastes like Gin-chan's feet." Promptly lampshaded by Gin.
- According to Shin Chan, green peppers taste like crotch.
- The English dub of Axis Powers Hetalia features America telling England that his scones taste like "petrified couch stuffing".
- In the comic Preacher, there is a scene in which an FBI agent is offered more coffee by a local sheriff. He refuses, stating that it tastes like someone came in it. The sheriff makes a sarcastic remark about how he couldn't control himself, rather than wondering how the agent recognizes the taste.
- She-Hulk has offered Valkrie a light beer. Val's reaction after a swig? "It tastes like my horse crawled into my mouth and died." It doesn't stop her from asking for "more of this swill" later, though.
- In Astro City, Astra Furst says her breakfast tastes "manganese-flavor" (after her mother tells her it is supposed to be grape-flavor). Still, if anyone is going to know what manganese tastes like, it's probably Astra.
- A variation occurs in one episode of Suske En Wiske (Spike and Suzy). Two cigarette-smoking Mooks are guarding a shed when it catches fire, prompting one mook to ask the other "Hey, are you smoking your mattress?"
"Oh, man, it smells like the locker room at Flight Camp," Rainbow Dash said. "You never forget that smell, no matter how hard you try..."
Fluttershy was covering her face with her wing. "Um, sort of," she said. "I mean, this is like that.... only... ugh, worse."
"Like— spoiled food and dirty socks," Twilight added.
"Gangrene and stomach gas," Fluttershy, the group veterinarian, chimed in.
"Pig sty and rancid milk," Applejack contributed.
"With a twist of despair and an aperitif of nihilistic self loathing," Rarity added ominously. The others looked at her. "I stood downwind of an art critic once," she explained. .
- The Parent Trap remake. The mother has just drunk one of those hideous hangover cures that only bartenders in movies know how to make. "I think I just drank tar."
- In It Takes Two, a character samples escargot for the first time, and comments that it tastes like a balloon. She had a point.
- The taste of dung is occasionally described as 'nutty' for whatever reason, such as in this example from the second Austin Powers movie:
Austin: Basil, this coffee smells like shit.
Austin: It's a bit nutty.
- Possibly justified, since nuts are one of the only foods that often pass through the digestive tract completely intact.
- In the Steve Martin vehicle L.A. Story, the protagonists best friend gives him a glass full of some sort of experimental beverage. Upon being asked how it is, he replies "It's exactly like licking a shag carpet."
- It gets better. He pours the drink out over a nearby potted plant, setting up a Brick Joke where the plant died.
- You may recall the scene from The Matrix, where the Nebuchadnezzar's crew is sitting around the mess room talking about the taste — or non-taste, as the case may be — of chicken.
- In Tremors 2, survivalist Burt gives Earl and Grady some of his MREs to eat:
Earl: Ugh. This tastes like toilet paper!
Grady: Earl, that is the toilet paper.
- In Mother, the titular mother has a large vat of orange ice cream that she has kept in her freezer for years. She offers some to her grown up son, who disgustedly proclaims "it tastes like an orange foot."
- Anchorman: "It smells like Bigfoot's dick!"
- Down Periscope
Goddamit, Buckman, this tin's been here since Korea!
It still tastes like creamed corn, sir...
Yes, Buckman, but it's DEVILED HAM!
- In Scotland, PA: "I can't believe I drank that water. It tastes like ass."
- In The Other Guys, Detective Gamble (played by Will Ferrell) tends to be verbally abusive to his wife (Eva Mendes) for reasons known only to himself.
"Who would slow-roast a dog's ass over a fire and serve it to their husband?"
- Dracula is forced to feed on a wino in Love At First Bite:
What was that maniac drinking? Tastes like the Volga River at low tide.
Ladybug: This tastes just like crap.
Beetle: Really? Let me try some. Hey, it is crap. Not bad.
- Clerks II: "Hey Silent Bob, does this shit taste like piss and flies to you too?"
- In Scream 4, Gale claims that Judy's lemon squares taste like ass.
- Tristan says this in Degrassi, when eating hospital food. His brother tries the food, and immediately agrees.
- The 10th Kingdom has a subversion. Tony tastes baked beanstalk (no, not baked beans. BEANSTALK). "It tastes like an old mattress!" "No, it doesn't. Old mattresses have a sweaty, meaty taste."
- In the Supernatural episode "Malleus Mallificarum," Ruby saves Dean from coughing up a lung (it's a long story) with a disgusting cure. While it's witchcraft, he seems to think "it tastes like ass," leading to gleeful viewer speculation as to whose he's been tasting.
- A similar gag re: pizza in the seventh-season episode "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie" -
Tyler: That stuff tastes like butt.
Dean: What? Come on, it can't be that bad...Let's see here. (takes a bite) Uh...(spits it out in disgust) That is butt.
- A similar joke to the one above takes place in an episode of Charmed, complete with a Last-Second Word Swap that doesn't make things better. Piper drinks a potion, gags, then says, "Ugh, it tastes like ass... phalt."
- In an episode of Monk, the titular character, a mysophobe, freaks out after discovering that the wine he has been drinking had been pressed by feet. He remarks, "It's foot wine...I can taste the feet...and toes."
- From British comedy show QI:
Jeremy Clarkson: "I had a seal flipper, and it looked exactly like a marigold glove filled with wallpaper paste. And it sat and you thought, "Ooh...!" And it tasted exactly like licking a hot Turkish urinal."
Sean Lock: "I'm very concerned that you used the word 'exactly'..."
- Alan once delivered an anecdote which included being given a chocolate bar by a pensioner, which tasted like 'Old ladies' cupboards.'
- One scene from Series E has everyone eating spaghetti onstage where Phill Jupitus asks for parmesan and prompts this exchange:
Jimmy Carr: "Parmesan's a weird food, 'cause it tastes delicious; smells like the gym socks of, er, a child with some sort of glandular problem."
Phill: "I find that it's actually the other way around!"
- Dead Like Me used this one:
Mason: This juice tastes like ass! Here, you try it!
George: No thanks, I'm trying to stay off the ass juice.
- A Whose Line Is It Anyway? Scenes From a Hat sketch had Colin boasting, "I make murals from my own feces!" Later in the same segment but with different parameters, Wayne complained that a drink "tastes like a painting by Colin Mochrie!"
- A variation from a different episode where the suggestion was "rejected perfume fragrances":
Wayne: "I call it, 'Like Ass'!"
- In Scrubs, Elliot was throwing Carla a baby shower and one of her baby shower games was "Guess the Baby Food Flavor" that she made Keith play to get people interested. Keith remarked that it tasted like "cab-driver feet".
- Elliot's response: "It's turnips! Now you have to eat the whole jar."
- Related joke: In one episode of Night Court, Bull is struck by lightning. Art speculates that it must have been like French-kissing a light socket. Bull, trying to be helpful, replies, "No, that feels different."
- Friends: The shepherd's pie/trifle incident. Though it's almost definitely just a joke, with no intention of any sort of Continuity Nod whatsoever, there is an earlier episode where Rachel implies she likes having her toes sucked, and Ross and Rachel were together for a while.
- Note that even after everyone expresses disgust with the dish, Big Eater Joey still eats it and loves it. Afterwards he even sneaks around and finishes up the portions that everybody else abandoned.
Joey: *still eating* I like it.
Ross: Are you kidding?
Joey: What's not to like? Custard? Good. Jam? Good. Meat? GOOD.
- Friends used this joke on another occasion. Monica was experimenting with mockolate (mock chocolate) and made mockolate chip cookies. Phoebe says "This is what EVIL must taste like!" The line was originally "These must be the cookies they serve in hell!", but Lisa Kudrow couldn't get through the line without laughing.
- I Love Lucy: Upon tasting watercress, Lucy remarks "Very tasty... if you like buttered grass."
- Bear Grylls of Man Vs Wild once compared drinking from a natural watering hole to "a bit like drinking from the loo bowl".
- He might not have been talking about the taste...
- On an episode of Good News Week, Paul McDermott referred to Fosters as tasting like "watered down horse piss". There was a moment's pause and then he asked "How do we know that?".
- In an episode of Corner Gas, Brent says Oscar's cooking tastes like bug repellent.
- A slight variation from an episode of MythBusters: Kari is working with a pile of some noxious goo, and she comments that it "feels like guts". She then immediately adds "and, yes, I know what guts feel like. I've been working on this show for years."
- Subverted when Kari was filling a Goliath beetle simulaid with yogurt "bug guts": "Yes, I do know what bug guts taste like. Thanks to this show."
- In another episode, Adam was the official guinea pig to test a mouthwash myth. Of course, before testing, he needed to have really bad breath. He described one of the culinary delights offered up to create this as "stinky foot cheese".
- He was probably talking about Limburger, which certainly smells like feet: it contains literally the same bacteria.
- Jessica in True Blood, on the taste of A- flavor True Blood: "Less like ass than the A+, but more like ass than the B-."
- According to Rick Castle, the coffee at NYPD tastes like a monkey peed in battery acid.
- Averted/subverted/lampshaded/whatever in Web Soup - after the host shows a clip of a polar bear defecating in its pool, he brings out a drink based on it and takes a swing. "It tastes like something I shouldn't recognize the taste of!"
- An episode of Harry Enfield And Chums had a sketch with the Slobs:
Waynetta: Your breath really stinks.
Wayne: So what?
Waynetta: It's disgusting, its' like kissing the dog!
Wayne:...How do you know?
Waynetta: I just... know.
- Wizards of Waverly Place second episode:
Dad: This one has too much cheese, this one needs barbecue sauce, and this one tastes like armpit... How did we even know that?
- In The Sopranos episode "The Strong, Silent Type," Tony and Junior are sampling some wine Furio brought back from Italy, which Junior grumps "reminds [him] of people's feet." After which, he continues drinking it.
- In an early episode the Swedish children series Pip-Larssons: Kastrullresan, the titular Larsson family had cabbage soup (consisting of nothing but cabbage) for dinner, not because they wanted to, but because they couldn't afford anything else. While they were eating, the husband tried to placate his upset wife (since it was his fault they had no money) by saying that the soup tasted really good, whereupon one of the youngest children deadpanned that it tasted like sock.
- Russell Howard was given an ice lolly made of soup in an episode of Genius. He described it as "what I imagine licking a 70-year-old woman's ankle would taste like."
- Rob Schneider once appeared on a talkshow in Singapore, during a regional tour to promote Deuce Bigalow - he was treated to several regional fruits, including the durian which he described as tasting like "men's locker room".
- An episode of Better Off Ted had a professional food tester try out some lab-grown meat. He decides it tastes like "Despair".
- Dr. House rules out the possibility that a patient had accidentally eaten large quantities of horse chestnuts by pointing out that they "taste like a horse's lower-than-chest nuts." How he knows what that tastes like is not specified.
- While possibly being hyperbolic in the above example, House in one episode determined a patient was diabetic by tasting her urine and declaring that it tasted sweeter than normal urine. (Incidentally, this was the standard way of diagnosing diabetes before modern testing procedures were invented; the full name of diabetes is diabetes mellitus, which means, more or less "honey-tasting urine.")
- Hyde talking to Kelso in That '70s Show:
"What's convenient isn't always what's best. If it was, this frozen pizza wouldn't taste like monkey butt."
- One episode of Arthur of the Britons had Arthur attempting to unite two tribes. During a feast, he suggests the two tribes swap their bread. This almost leads to a riot as each side tries the other's bread and declares it to be 'frog spawn' or some other insult.
- Somewhat averted on Salute Your Shorts when Sponge drank some of Telly's bulk-up formula.
Sponge: This tastes like Donkeylips's socks' smell!
- In Porridge, Fletch tastes the brew made by the local moonshiner which comes served in a disinfectant bottle. Fletch remarks that they're supposed to take the disinfectant out first.
- In The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon, who hates Greek food, indulges Leonard and tries a lamb kebab:
And what a civilization is the Greeks. They gave us science, democracy, and little cubes of meat that taste like sweat!
- In How I Met Your Mother the gang orders burgers. Everybody finds them delicious, except Marshall.
Marshall: When you've had the best burger in New York City, every other burger tastes like my grandpa's feet. But you guys eat up, enjoy my grandpa's feet.
- Subverted in Leverage. Parker walks up to a guard and asks, "does this smell like chloroform to you?" before knocking him out with it.
- Gordon Ramsey can get a bit colorful when describing one of his chef's badly cooked dishes on Hell's Kitchen. He at one point describes a soup as tasting like gnat's piss, and also describes an undercooked meat as being "like a bison's penis."
- A contestant on Chopped, faced with lutefisk as an ingredient, remarked that he'd never even heard of it before, then (after reluctantly tasting it) that it was like biting into an old kitchen sponge. Which, for the record, he denied he'd ever done.
- Averted in 'Lost Girl. Foot soup actually tastes pretty good. So good in fact, Kenzi didn't know it was foot soup until she was told. She didn't take it well.
- Happens with Brody's homemade health tonic in Really Me. In a Strange Minds Think Alike moment, everybody who tastes it likens its flavour to some type of mythological creature in a bathing facility of some kind; e.g. "a gnome's steam bath" or "a hairy troll's hot tub".
- In Party Down, Steve Guttenburg tries to teach some of the caterers how to be cultured by giving them fine wine. They give a variety of responses as to what they taste, including "rope" and "dirt." Guttenburg compliments them.
- One Tree Hill finale: according to Chris, Chase's drink tastes like the devil's ass.
- The X-Files, "The Unnatural": Mulder bets that the air in his mouth tastes better Scully's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle. He thought she brought herself real ice-cream and wanted her to share, but a moment later, he grabs her and takes a huge bite of the dreamsicle, and doesn't complain.
- Gilmore Girls: Sookie and Lorelai just had a rather useless class about opening an inn and they reach a refreshment table, hoping to make up the admission fee in cookies.
Lorelai: These better be the best damn cookies in the world.
Sookie: [eats one] And they taste like feet.
- In another episode Lorelai and Rory are very hungry, but they refuse to go downstairs because Lorelai says they will end up having to chit-chat with Boston dentist also staying in their B & B and answer boring questions about life in Stars Hollow. Lorelai finds fuzzy certs in her purse. After eating it she say it tasted like keys.
- Rizzoli And Isles: After drinking the coffee in the cafeteria, Jane tells Stanley he should take his dirty socks out of the coffee maker.
- In "Love the Way You Lie", Frankie complains that a health drink tastes like "Sweat and rotten celery". Lampshaded when Frost tells him to stop drinking it, and that he also should stop drinking his own sweat.
- Ellery Queen: In "The Adventure of the Hard-Hearted Huckster", Flannigan complains about the taste of cigar:
"You call this a cigar! It tastes like the inside of a lumberjack's boot!"
- Obligatory... Buffy is downing straight alcohol in Life Serial because she drowning her sorrows. However she is not a drinker, and she's downing mixer drinks straight, so to her and even to most seasoned drinkers it would Tastes Like Feet.
- From Zits:
Pierce: When I burp, it tastes exactly like caterpillars.
D'ijon: I don't even want to know how you know that.
- In another strip, Jeremy describes wheatgrass juice as tasting "like licking the underside of an old John Deere riding lawnmower!"
- And, according to Pierce, if you dip Salisbury steak in pudding it tastes just like squirrel.
- From Garfield:
Jon: "Irma, Is this tea or coffee?"
Irma: "What does it taste like?"
Jon: "It tastes like turpentine!"
Irma: "Oh, that's our coffee. Our tea tastes like transmission fluid."
- After someone described the taste of Vegemite as "like licking a cat's ass," comic Billy Connolly asked "How does she know?"
- Amanda Palmer has an entire song on the evils of Vegemite, which includes "It tastes like sadness. It tastes like batteries. It tastes like asses." Enjoy it for yourself.
- Dave Chappelle has described grape "drink" (not to be confused with grape juice) as consisting of "sugar, water, and of course purple."
- Dylan Moran once gave a summary of the consistency of a particular wine as follows: "Moccasins... denture fixture fluid... it's extraordinary. Lovely for when you're being chased by the Stasi. In a railway tunnel. Going to meet The Monk."
- That was more of a mockery of professional wine tasters - there being in his own opinion "two kinds of wine - wine that makes you go "Mmm, that's okay, can we have eight of those? Give us eight of those!" and another one that makes you go "Arrrrgh Jesus, what is that?!"."
- "...and occasionally, you get a subtle one, that makes you go 'Urk! Ack! Hmm, that's quite all right!'"
- Original flavor NyQuil: Let Denis Leary explain:
I love NyQuil, man. Because NyQuil has never changed, man. It's never changed. All the other medicines are doing that inner-child thing. "We know that there’s a small child inside of you, so now we have grape and cherry and orange flavor." Not NyQuil! They still have the original green death fucking flavor! You know why!? Because it doesn't matter what it tastes like! It's so strong you go, wheeze "Hey this stuff really tastes like.." Bang! Yer in the coma already!
- Lewis Black describes red and green NyQuil as the only things in the world that taste like red and green.
- Nick Swardson said, at one point, that he wants to be very difficult when he's an old man, and as an example said that he would complain about restaurant food, specifically, sending it back while complaining that it tastes like "wolf pussy."
- In the song "Master of the House" from Les Misérables, the inn's patrons sing that Thénardier's stew tastes like something he scraped off the street and his wine is like turpentine.
- A high school biology teacher tells the class that human semen is 80% sugar. A student (usually female) raises her hand and asks, "How come it tastes like salt, then?"
- He responds (incorrectly) that the taste buds for sweetness are at the tip of the tongue, not the back of the throat.
- In Deus Ex, the following exchange takes place in a bar:
JC Denton: "How are the drinks here?"
Renault: "Great if you like rat piss."
- When consuming a tiny bottle of absinthe in Kingdom of Loathing, the resulting message says the absinthe "tastes like licorice, pain, and green."
- In Fallout 3:
Moira Brown: "Hey! I think I've discovered a new way to cook Radroach meat! Still tastes like old feet, though."
- One of the beverages in Dragon Age: Origins, a mead, is described as "Sweet and flowery as a spring morning, with a bitter aftertaste of daddy's-going-off-to-war-and-never-coming-home".
- In Dragon Age II's Mark of the Assassin DLC, an elven servant offers Hawke and Tallis ham that "tastes of despair"; another party guest can be heard commenting on its unique flavor later on.
- A background conversation in Mass Effect 2 has Engineer Daniels complain to Engineer Donnelly that "all haggis tastes like ass", to which Donnelly replies "Aye, but in the right hands, it can taste like mighty fine arse."
- There's also a conversation between a crewman and the chef after Shephard provides provisions:
Crewman Hawthorne: Rupert! There's something different with tonight's meal! Seems like you put in more food and less ass.
Mess Sargent Rupert Gardner [sarcastically]: Yeah, yeah, keep talkin'.
- BioWare seems to love this trope, as Jade Empire gives a good one in regards to a Hideous Hangover Cure.
Three Sheets Dutong: I hate that restorative potion! Ugh! That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
- The Sims Medieval has a moodlet "Tasteless Treat: That tasted like sheep hooves, only worse!"
- A quest in World of Warcraft has you passing around a sample of beer to three NPCs. Two like it, the third says it tastes like engine degreaser.
- In The Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC of Borderlands, the titular General Knoxx describes Pandora as smelling like "Hemorrhoids wrapped in bacon".
- In Salad Fingers, "Hubert Cumberdale, you taste like soot and poo."
- Too bad we'll never find out the taste of Jeremy Fisher. Unless...?
- In Red vs. Blue, Grif, while under the effects of a malfunctioning speed unit, mentions that he can smell clouds.
- Odori Park: Sprout's opinion of his Japanese mom's cooking is a little too informal....
- One Friendly Hostility strip features Derringer, at Fox's urging, brushing his teeth with expired toothpaste. He promptly exclaims, "Gross! It tastes like going down on a chick on the rag!" When Fox looks at him sceptically, he says that toothpaste should not be used after six months; Fox replies, "Shut up, Captain Redwings."
- One Real Life Comics strip has Greg trying the "Potion" drink marketed in Japan to promote Final Fantasy XI. He takes one sip, then comments that it tastes "like ten thousand asses".
- Filthy Lies: The cast taste a certain kind of beer for the first time and all find it horrible. Ted declares that it tastes "like going down on a dead hooker." When the others look at him strangely, he says "What? I thought she was just bored!"
- A non-food-related Lampshade Hanging can be found in this Suicide for Hire strip.
- Done literally in this Punch an' Pie.
- Lampshaded in this User Friendly strip.
- Between Failures: Carol sums up the taste of game-themed drinks nicely in this strip.
- Junior in 1/0 has described both the smell of burnt eyeball (himself), and the taste of a homemade joint as being "like an old Arab woman".
- Blip: In the immediate aftermath of a Funbag Airbag incident, K wonders "Where am I? Why does it smell and taste like boobs?"
- Later, a Power Bar when she's famished prompts the line, "Oh my! It's like a concert in my mouth and I'm Madonna!"
- Gai-Gin describes Japanese seafood as smelling "like a sperm whale just vomited" and "like a shark's vagina".
- Sperm whale vomit is more commonly known as ambergris, which has a sweet smell and is used as a base ingredient in perfumes, so that's not so unusual to know. The shark's vagina, on the other hand...
- Aubrey in Something Positive doesn't quite fulfill this trope when she complains that her coffee tastes "like a diaper smells"—but she almost does when she adds that she "could menstruate a better cup of coffee than this!" At another point, PeeJee describes a polluted swamp thus: "If a shit were to take a shit, I'm pretty sure that's how it would smell."
- Dmitri in Spacetrawler claims that his coffee tastes like asteroid. Justified as it is actually synthesized from space debris.
- Krakow: Kia's cooking apparently tastes like a clown raping one's mouth. Good luck figuring that one out.
- Litteraly used in Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures .
- Dresden Codak: Apparently, when Kimiko is using her cybernetics to hack one of the networks of Nephilopolis, the system tastes kind of like soap.
- In The Simpsons, Ralph Wiggum comments upon tasting Homer's tomato-tobacco hybrid plant ("ToMacco") that it "tastes like Grandma." After tasting it himself, his father, Chief Wiggum, agrees.
- Once, when the kids from the Model UN were stuck on that island, Ralph tried to eat some wild berries. He responds with "It tastes like burning." Happens a lot to the poor kid.
- Oddly enough, the phrase itself is actually the name of a trophy/achievement for the Playstaton 3/Xbox 360 port of The Simpsons Arcade Game. The player must have one of the game's final bosses, Smithers, to be damaged by his own bombs to receive the award.
- On Futurama, Hermes investigates the by-product of Prof. Farnsworth's glow-in-the-dark-nose-making machine:
Hermes: It looks like toxic waste. Smells like toxic waste.
Fry: What's it taste like?
Hermes: Delicious fig pudding! Ooh, that's good. But a distinct aftertaste of toxic waste.
- When Fry eats a bad egg salad sandwich in another episode, he says "It's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's throwing up!"
- Fry also seems to know what colors taste like
What tastes like purple?
- In "Benderama", microscopic Bender clones turn Prof. Farnsworth's bath water into alcohol. Bender drinks it and says it tastes like "fine cognac with just a hint of aged scrotum."
- In an episode of Duckman, the title character tastes a microwave burrito and comments "I think I just bit into a squirrel". His partner Cornfed reads the label and rattles off a long list of ingredients including rat feces and ocelot sphincter. "But no, no squirrel."
- Pelswick's critique of his sister's cooking: "Chewy, with an aftertaste like licking a bathtub plug."
- In Home Movies, the episode "Yoko", Eugene urinates in Coach McGuirk's canteen. After taking a swig from it and spitting it out, McGuirk demands to know which of the kids is responsible, asking rhetorically, "You know what that tastes like?" Brendon and Melissa counter by asking him, "How did you know what it was?" and "How did you identify it so quickly?" McGuirk admits that he's tasted it once before.
- In The Replacements episode "Todd Strikes Out'', Riley and Todd are handed protein bars, leading to this exchange:
Riley: "This tastes like tree bark!"
Todd (reading the label): "Now with 48% more tree bark."
- In The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy, Billy is offered a mushroom by a dwarf. The following dialogue takes place:
Billy: "It tastes like my cat."
Dwarf: "They taste like everyone's cat!"
Grim: "This water tastes like zombie sweat."
Mandy: "You've tasted zombie sweat?"
- In one episode of Beetlejuice, Lydia is learning to cook, and offers one of her salads to BJ to taste. He takes a bite, hesitates, sees Lydia's warning glare, and, straining for a compliment about the salad, finally concludes that "It tastes... uh... green!" This from a guy who snacks on beetles.
- Stewie in Family Guy: "What's that smell? Smells like sweat, anger, and shame!"
- The Venture Brothers - Phantom Limb offers Dr. Girlfriend some Asiago cheese while pompously holding forth on its quality; she grimaces and comments "Tastes like the inside of an old Thermos!"
- Jude from Sixteen once used "This tea tastes like a dirty gymsock."
- A two-part episode of Invader ZIM is titled "Gaz, Taster of Pork". In it, Gaz gains the powers of the Shadow Hog, making everything taste "like pig".
- A Running Gag on Rugrats (Each one makes sense in context):
"This coffee tastes like mud."
"It is mud."
- In one Bad Future episode of Conan The Adventurer, the titular barbarian hero has to drink an antivenom potion that he disgustedly proclaims to taste like "fermented camel spit". Considering one of the ingredients is venom from the serpent demon-god he's fighting, the taste is probably somewhat justified.
- In a Johnny Test episode, Johnny's dad is trying to make healthy cookies and gives some for Johnny to try. Johnny then proclaims that the cookies taste like dirt. Johnny's dad then produces a plate of dirt which he then insists that Johnny eat for comparison. Johnny apologizes for saying the cookies taste like dirt, because the dirt tastes better.
- Noodle of Gorillaz declared in the Radio 1 webchat that Murdoc smells "like halitosis on toast". More recently, 2D declared that Murdoc's singing sounds "like someone treading on a duck".
- In an episode of Robot Chicken, Emperor Palpatine speculates that Darth Vader, after flying around in his TIE fighter for a week, "must smell like feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon!"
- Another sketch inverted this trope: A mother tells her little girl that Grandma's bones are brittle "like peanut brittle". The girl immediately tries to eat Grandma, assuming Mom was talking about her bones' flavor.
- Total Drama Action: after being forced to kiss Duncan in one of the challenges, Heather disgustedly exclaims that he "tastes like street!".
- Happened in Doug when the school is selling chocolate door to door. Doug couldn't make any sales because the residents complain they taste like cement. Doug eventually discovers this was because cement got into the chocolate in the factory.
- On a related note, Eduardo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends once had to pretend he liked the taste of feet, licking people's toes while gushing about the "footy goodness". He was actually covering for a puppy that he'd been hiding in the house, and it's clear that he (unlike the puppy) found the flavor revolting.
- In the episode that introduced Cheese, a girl named Louise emerges from a bathroom saying "Your soap smells like foot."
- In Jimmy Two Shoes, an old lady says that Lucius' ice cream "tastes like old feet". According to Heloise, that's the secret ingredient.
- An episode of Beavis And Butthead had the boys try some frozen yogurt. They decide it tastes like paint, so they use it as paint to vandalize the mall. Granted, Beavis and Butt-Head may have tasted paint. One ep did show them getting high off the fumes.
- When Private is accidentally dosed with a Truth Serum in The Penguins of Madagascar, he confesses that Skipper's monkfish surprise "tastes like elephant sweat, but everyone pretends they like it to spare Skipper's fragile ego".
- The Mutilation Ball episode of Robotomy had this trope when the janitor gives Thrasher and Blastus a performance-enhancing serum that "tastes like gasoline and feet" and comes from a pipe down by the playground.
- The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack: "This candy takes like horse poop, Cap'n!"
- Flapjack is, it should be mentioned, attempting to eat a flower at the time.
- Sponge Bob Square Pants, when Squidward is subbing for SpongeBob at the Krusty Krab grill.
Customer #1: You call this food? My sandwich tastes like a fried boot!
Customer #2: My sandwich is a fried boot!
- And in "Whale of a Birthday", when Pearl's friends drink from the punch bowl...
Pearl's Friend: Ew, it tastes like dishwater!
Squidward: It is dishwater.
- Said almost word for word by Bobo in the Generator Rex episode "Badlands" when he drinks an expired can of soda:
"This tastes like feet! And not the clean kind!"
- From the Regular Show episode "A Bunch of Baby Ducks":
Rigby: "It tastes like how Muscle Man smells!"
- In Girl Stuff Boy Stuff, everyone but resident vegetarian Reanne thinks tofu "tastes like feet".
- Spliced: Entrée, who was a giant at the time, says "He tastes like feet" after he attempts to eat Two-legs Joe.
- In Code Lyoko, this type of situation happened twice. Both times it was Odd commenting on the foods in the school's vending machine. The first was that the soup "tastes like dish water" (though apparently having your mouth washed out with dish soap will produce that flavor) and the second was the hot chocolate (just that day for some reason) tasting like "dirty sweatsocks and an old pair of sneakers". The latter prompts Ulrich to snark "Odd the gourmet".
- In the Phineas And Ferb two-parter "Where's Perry?" after Monogram and Doofenshmirtz are captured by an evilinated Carl:
Major Monogram: Carl! You can't keep us cooped up in here. Though the self serve smoothie machine is a welcome diversion.
Carl: I'm evil, not uncivilized. Did you try the Madagascar Chocolate?
Doofenshmirtz: Mmm, you can really taste the Madagascar!
- In The Jetsons, something is wrong with the Food-a-Rac-a-Cycle:
George: What is this, anyway?
Jane: What's it taste like, George?
George: Well, this coffee tastes like rocket fuel.
Jane: Then it's not coffee. It's tea.
- In an episode of Dex Hamilton Alien Entomologist, Dex and his crew are Caught in a Snare. Tung attempts to break the rope with his prehensile tongue, only for their captor to tell them that the rope is woven from unbreakable alien silk worm residue. Tongue then adds "And it tasts like feet".